Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Is there a way to have the rookie pool only pull from the Import Character list initially?

I got a list of names I'm trying to put in, but everytime I start a new game I get random pubbie names in my team as well. That and not every name appears in the Recruitment list. (And yes, everyone is marked as can appear as a rookie)

Yes, in the config folder, DefaultGameData.ini, change the line InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_Mixed to InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_PoolOnly

Oh and for buyable recruits you should add the line: RecruitsCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_PoolOnly - might not work if the game needs more options than you have characters in your pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

RBA Starblade posted:

I lied the plasma caster is the shittiest power weapon.

It's cool looking but that's where the fun stops. I tried messing with the cone of attack on the the wrist weapons but nothing ever sticks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dexanth posted:

Does the 'Assorted Loot' scan simply not work? Every time I complete it I check my inventory and I've gotten nothing.

Never works for me either. Grenade+ammo does, assorted loot never does.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Modding it so that squad size progression goes from 6 to 8 instead of 4 to 6 and generally increasing enemy count to a high enough degree might help out in ironing out the difficulty curve to make more bearable in the beginning and more interesting in the late game.

I want a mod that starts at 8 squad size but then reduces down to 6 squad size :evilbuddy:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dogen posted:

Never works for me either. Grenade+ammo does, assorted loot never does.

I think I got a plasma caster from that my last campaign. It's how I learned it's garbage.

The game's really a lot harder when you don't get shredders, shredstorms, or blaster launchers. Please give me more cores XCOM 2.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Total honesty required. First relatiation on legend, is there any reason not to skip it entirely? You lose some supplies and absolutely nothing else right...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MorsAnima posted:

Total honesty required. First relatiation on legend, is there any reason not to skip it entirely? You lose some supplies and absolutely nothing else right...

Yes, skip it if you think you're gonna lose soldiers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MorsAnima posted:

Well, it affects your income, yeah, and will continue to affect your income for all subsequent months, which will eventually add up. Also: it'll have faceless to kill and turn into mimic beacons. Which are really necessary on the harder difficulties because they save your rear end from multi-pod activations and other such bullshit.

Your call. If you don't have enough good troops to pull it off...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
gently caress this pussy poo poo, you get out there and kill those xenos, even if it means you drown them in your own goddamned blood.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I got a plasma caster from that my last campaign. It's how I learned it's garbage.

The game's really a lot harder when you don't get shredders, shredstorms, or blaster launchers. Please give me more cores XCOM 2.

I think 'Heavy Weapon' is different than 'assorted loot' - the latter gives you weapon mods / PCS stuff, and it's the one that doesn't seem to work.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Speedball posted:

Well, it affects your income, yeah, and will continue to affect your income for all subsequent months, which will eventually add up. Also: it'll have faceless to kill and turn into mimic beacons. Which are really necessary on the harder difficulties because they save your rear end from multi-pod activations and other such bullshit.

Your call. If you don't have enough good troops to pull it off...

IIRC there's no faceless on the first retaliation, which means you lose maybe 25 supplies per month and that's it?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MorsAnima posted:

IIRC there's no faceless on the first retaliation, which means you lose maybe 25 supplies per month and that's it?

you're pretty wrong, I thinkg, the first Retaliation is when the faceless first show up. There's a cutscene showing them and everything.

e: unless that's a concession SOLELY for Legend mode, which seems odd.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010

Monathin posted:

you're pretty wrong, I thinkg, the first Retaliation is when the faceless first show up. There's a cutscene showing them and everything.

e: unless that's a concession SOLELY for Legend mode, which seems odd.

Ahhh poo poo. I had it in my head that they didn't show on retaliation #1 and I've skipped it. Who even needs cheese beacons anyway :negative:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
On Legend difficulty, the first 2 retaliations will both have 2 facelesses. You need 4 corpses for your first Mimic beacon, 1 for research and 3 for construction (on Legend, it's 2 on lower difficulties). So with that and the experience you can get, you should probably not skip the first retaliation, though I generally play them to lose and just slowly overwatch creep the map.

VV That's weird, was sure I needed 3 for construction the other day, but the gamefiles back you up and like you said, it takes 2 retaliations anyway.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 5, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Mimic beacons only cost two corpses on legendary actually but it still means you have to finish the first two retaliations to get your first.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Autsj posted:

On Legend difficulty, the first 2 retaliations will both have 2 facelesses. You need 4 corpses for your first Mimic beacon, 1 for research and 3 for construction (on Legend, it's 2 on lower difficulties). So with that and the experience you can get, you should probably not skip the first retaliation, though I generally play them to lose and just slowly overwatch creep the map.

VV That's weird, was sure I needed 3 for construction the other day, but the gamefiles back you up and like you said, it takes 2 retaliations anyway.
Yeah, you should go for it but definitely do not stress over losing it. But fighting it our for those two Faceless corpses is worth it unless you're going to lose a ton of troops.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

On my first run. Been watching a lot of beaglerush and playing a lot of EW, so I picked veteran difficulty. Savescummed a few times, but have been trying to avoid the urge.

Anyways, is the first UFO attack mandatory? I was nowhere near it when the attack happened, and it's been proving to be pretty tough. Also, what advice can be given for those missions?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm nearing a first finish of XCOM2 and while I recognize that it's a really cool game with legs, I'm not seeing myself play it all that much again, because it's currently unoptimized (Hopefully all that can be fixed!) but more because it definitely feels rife with what was pointed out earlier by some game designer on his blog, the "snowball effect" of either getting your rear end kicked at the start and never recovering, or kicking rear end and kicking rear end forevermore. In this game I've been kicking rear end on normal difficulty to an insane degree (savescumming rarely beyond glitches or deceptive UI or cursor slip mistakes) and I'm going into the endgame with maybe 18 colonels and 6 full magus psychics and 10k+ supplies and every item in the game.

Is there a mod set at this early juncture that balances this swingy power curve out somehow?

Yeah, up the difficulty and see if you still have the same experience.

I'm nearing the finish of my first Commander run and the difficulty curve stayed pretty even throughout the majority of it. Steam says I've got nearly 50 hours into the game and I would say that at least 35 of that is this campaign and I'm only just now, on the last half dozen missions or so, getting to the point where I'm 100% confident in my team's ability to handle anything that gets thrown at them. It has gotten easier but I wouldn't say its "easy". A late game Avenger defense got pretty hairy and the RNG can lead to some oh poo poo moments with even the most solid tactics. I have pretty much stopped needing mimic beacons to get through the majority of missions, though. I'd say that in my game the difficulty spiked in the very beginning and again in the late mid game when I started getting multiple pods of Andromedons, Codices and Archons.

I think what happens is that people seem to forget the dozens of hours of challenging gameplay from early game through late-mid game (at least on Commander or Legendary, maybe Veteran is really easy? idk) because the last bit of the game lets you gently caress around for as long as you want to level people, stuff rookies into the psi tanks and drop elerium cores into the proving grounds slot machine. Maybe the best way to fix that difficulty curve drop off in the end is to force people to complete the story missions to stall the doom clock after taking down x number of blacksites? That one developer guy had a couple of good ideas, too, but I don't think those would actually change much of the late game. Jake Solomon had mentioned something about changing the way the Advent timer works so you can't ride it indefinitely.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Mr Tastee posted:

On my first run. Been watching a lot of beaglerush and playing a lot of EW, so I picked veteran difficulty. Savescummed a few times, but have been trying to avoid the urge.

Anyways, is the first UFO attack mandatory? I was nowhere near it when the attack happened, and it's been proving to be pretty tough. Also, what advice can be given for those missions?

The one where you get downed? It won't happen every game (but will happen on most of them). It's also pretty random when it occurs. It can happen early, or super-late in the game.

If you have a ranger with Phantom, keep them in concealment while the rest of your troops weather down the first aliens. Once you've cleared the first couple pods, use the scout as a point-man. Try to push forward quickly but carefully, until you spot the beacon. Squadsight snipers are your friend also.

You get 6 troops initially, even without any upgrades, and reinforcements will keep coming out until you have 10 soldiers. But enemy reinforcements will also come in frequently, eventually arriving every single turn.

It's a tough mission, but you only have to do it the once.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah that's the heavy weapon one where it's like a rusted out tank or something. There is one that just says assorted loot and is like a dude sitting by a campfire who claims to have worked with xcom in the first war. Must be a traitor since it says he gives you stuff but it doesn't make it into the inventory.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

many johnnys posted:

The one where you get downed? It won't happen every game (but will happen on most of them). It's also pretty random when it occurs. It can happen early, or super-late in the game.

If you have a ranger with Phantom, keep them in concealment while the rest of your troops weather down the first aliens. Once you've cleared the first couple pods, use the scout as a point-man. Try to push forward quickly but carefully, until you spot the beacon. Squadsight snipers are your friend also.

You get 6 troops initially, even without any upgrades, and reinforcements will keep coming out until you have 10 soldiers. But enemy reinforcements will also come in frequently, eventually arriving every single turn.

It's a tough mission, but you only have to do it the once.

You can be shot down multiple times in a campaign. Ask me how I know. :gonk:

Actually the second time was stupid easy because the target started within range of blaster launchers. I didn't even have to leave the ramp.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Deuce posted:

Shiiit

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Deuce posted:

Awww yis.

Also how?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Deuce posted:

Actually the second time was stupid easy because the target started within range of blaster launchers. I didn't even have to leave the ramp.

bradford is one hell of a crack pilot huh

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I avoided getting shot down on my first campaign, but second time around on Commander I got nailed in either the first or second month, which was great because I'd rushed mag weapons. For the cost of a few injuries I got a promotion for nearly everyone that ran down the ramp.

This game seems like it's a little more finicky than the first one in terms of activating pods. Either that or I just completely fell out of practice. I think it's the fact that there's more time limits, I always feel rushed and push ahead even when I shouldn't. I like the time limits, though. What I really hate are the survivor counts on the reprisal missions. Saving six survivors is a huge pain when they start shooting them from basically turn one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dinictus posted:

Awww yis.

Also how?
A Dark Event puts a UFO on your tail, also the aliens will just launch one sometimes.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

A Dark Event puts a UFO on your tail, also the aliens will just launch one sometimes.

:swanlake:

I'll keep that in mind.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Donald Trump is now a voice pack. Two voice packs, actually. It's kind of surprising how well his lines fit :v:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just got attacked by a ufo for the second time this run, but when I clicked evasive maneuvers, the Avenger actually shook the ufo. I was actually a little disappointed because I had an upgraded defense matrix and wanted to see how it performs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Christmas posted:

I just got attacked by a ufo for the second time this run, but when I clicked evasive maneuvers, the Avenger actually shook the ufo. I was actually a little disappointed because I had an upgraded defense matrix and wanted to see how it performs.

I evaded a UFO four times before I got shot down my first campaign.

I wonder what the odds are to evade. I just sort of assumed they were really high.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dexanth posted:

I think 'Heavy Weapon' is different than 'assorted loot' - the latter gives you weapon mods / PCS stuff, and it's the one that doesn't seem to work.

It worked for me in my current campaign. Got a weapon mod and a PCS.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dinictus posted:

Awww yis.

Also how?

InfinityComplex posted:

bradford is one hell of a crack pilot huh

:mad:

That's how!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The only thing I don't like about the UFO chase thing is that you have no real control or options to do with it. It's seemingly random as to whether it detects you or not and there's no options for your evasive maneuvers or anything it's just completely hidden RNG fuckery. Like the game doesn't have enough visible RNG fuckery.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Melanion posted:

Did you do exactly the same actions in exactly the same order after the reload? I'm fairly sure hacking has a randomization element tied to the seed system just like shots.
For reference, your chance of success on a hack or shot depends on skill/turn-seed, but the actual roll itself is seeded off every other action and the order in which they are taken. Reloading a save won't change what you've already done. I guess if people REALLY must savescum a particular shot or hack, make sure you save at turn start so you can move/shoot differently and thus affect your chance to succeed. (Or just git good so you don't spend 80% of your playtime staring at the loading screen to make up for bad decisions. :smug:)

SynthOrange posted:

I suspect x2ed has a memory leak because the load times to start it up keep getting longer and longer with each edit, currently approaching 5 minutes on my current work session and operations inside it also take much longer. :|
This, plus the game doesn't seem to fully flush on exit while debugging. So if you're in and out a few times without closing everything and giving it a minute, the combo just eats up everything like a black hole. This becomes super evident when you're editing levels/packets. Btw, you are making the best mods. Keep it up. :D

RBA Starblade posted:

So that's where the Gollop Chamber comes from. How does he feel about the remakes in general?
He loves em' because they *get* what he understands as the reason his first one was so fun. Check this Solomon/Gollop interview out. Some neat stuff about his process in creating the original game in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZsecTRfM

Dinictus posted:

Awww yis.

Also how?
Shootdown is coded to be so rare as to only happen about once a game, but that doesn't mean it can't happen more or not at all. Same with getting one right before final assault vs right after your first couple missions.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Taffer posted:

It worked for me in my current campaign. Got a weapon mod and a PCS.

Did you see if they were in your inventory?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My ini edits aren't working. I saved them through notepad ++ and they worked with mods in my second veteran run, but not applying at all to my commander run. This also includes the increased soldiers mod, it's just not being applied.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is there a mod set at this early juncture that balances the swingy power curve out somehow?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622266966
This is the mod I use -- partially because it allows you to play indefinitely, partially because playing indefinitely means you always have a chance to come back.
Rather than removing the Doom Clock from the avatar project completely, it just makes it so that all the progress pips are assigned to facilities, and none (other than the initial 3, which can be undone by story missions) to the generic "avatar project" source itself. As a result, the avatar project never builds up to a point where it can't be stopped -- if you were to take out every facility at once, it'd be back to 0. These alien facilities build and upgrade a little more often, but being able to always hold it off means it's much easier to claw your way back up from a huge setback if you need to.

If you wanted to combine this with cheaper rookies you basically always have a chance to push on, so there's always a chance to fight back.

I don't think it really helps the snowball effect in reverse, though. If you're steamrolling too hard it won't do much.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is exp just per kill or does the enemy type matter?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

malhavok posted:

Is exp just per kill or does the enemy type matter?

Per kill. Behind the curtain, there is no 'xp', only 'kills' and 'kill assists' which are worth a quarter kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

RBA Starblade posted:

So that's where the Gollop Chamber comes from. How does he feel about the remakes in general?

Honestly, the worst thing about XCOM 2 is that there is no equivalent Gollop Chamber in this one.