Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tivac assert dominance by peeing on the new guy's stuff and staring him down

trust me this works in every workplace

It's true, I've been in 8 new workplaces in the last 2 years and this strategy has worked every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I kind of assumed Tivac and anyone else working on the game had long given up on reading this thread out of despair.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I hope the April update thing comes through, I'd love to play some more.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Reading through the AMA highlights is revealing.

quote:

We’re looking into making certain existing encounters into fractal content, and have found one that seems promising. Claw Island would be fun. Maybe at some point? Mechanically though, if we convert existing content into Fractals going forward they will definitely need a mechanical tune-up. What works well for a Living World instance doesn’t necessarily make a good Fractal.
As someone with sufficient brain damage to have voluntarily done Claw Island enough times to get nineteen BL keys, wrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

quote:

Halls and Tombs were a huge part of GW1. While we loved those modes in GW1 we wanted to try something different for GW2.Guild Wars 2 PvP takes a new and different approach to PvP and overall is much more successful for it.
Huh.

quote:

Original designer of the crafting system was in love with fishing and it had more documentation than the rest of the crafting system. Unfortunately we never had the plans to do it and the guy left the company 5 years ago. This designer is actually the husband of the current crafting designer. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be fishing in the near future but she will keep bringing it up.
New fishing mechanic to haul aquatic enemies on land to fight there, underwater dragon final fight is copy/paste of the Del Lago boss from Resident Evil 4

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Transparency is great, but content needs to be updated on a regular enough basis for it to have an impact. If all that's being said is "x is totally getting worked on, here's an update on its progress!" but the final product never ships or doesn't ship soon enough, it won't be enough for the community at large.

Like the WvW reboot thing. Don't tell me that you keep adding stuff to it and that's why it isn't out yet. Especially when it isn't revealed what new stuff you added. Even if that's true, it still isn't live and that gives off the impression that perhaps all those things that were "added on throughout the development" were already part of the initial plans but just took longer to release.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Joestar posted:

transparency is one of the big things a lot of companies fail on, because not giving a playerbase any info just lets them run wild with rumors and the like while slowly growing more impatient/whatever. also, going Soon(tm) in response to poo poo never really goes well, especially when it happens like 10 times in a row.

hopefully a-net actually improves on that front! it's not an exaggeration to say that for a long time they've kinda been lackluster in that area.

Well they'll never be as bad as Bungie.

"The announcement of our upcoming announcement will be very soon!"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anet posted:

Halls and Tombs were a huge part of GW1. While we loved those modes in GW1 we wanted to try something different for GW2.Guild Wars 2 PvP takes a new and different approach to PvP and overall is much more successful for it.

More successful in terms of what, exactly? Numbers? Fun? E-SPORTS?

Sure could've fooled me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Azazell0 posted:

Sure could've fooled me.

4k viewers

that's as many as four thousands

and that's just successful

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Sure could've fooled me.

halls and tombs were cute but I'm pretty sure the inherent barriers to entry meant that participation numbers were poo poo and most people maybe just dabbled once or twice and never went back to it

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
All of this sounds like a recipe for success and fun.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Maybe Colin is the Zodiac Killer.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Here's hoping that the push for transparency sticks. Coming from WoW to this game, I was surprised at how opaque Arenanet's process is compared to Blizzard's. I doubt Arenanet will ever be as transparent as Blizzard, but anything that improves the current model is welcome. It's really weird to wait months for a patch when you only know two concrete things about it (there is a new raid wing and there is a sloth boss in it). It's also weird to have controversial, possibly broken content sitting for months with no indication of whether it's working as intended.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't really care about communication. They could have told us exactly what they were doing every step of the way up to this point, and it still would have been just as disappointing. Words don't mean much anymore. I'll start playing and spending again if/when this game has actually added worthwhile content and made meaningful improvements.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 6, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

MooCowlian posted:

I kind of assumed Tivac and anyone else working on the game had long given up on reading this thread out of despair.

I never stopped reading it. It's a bummer, but a strong understanding of how the game is perceived is important.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Tivac posted:

I never stopped reading it. It's a bummer, but a strong understanding of how the game is perceived is important.

It's really because Arus stopped paying the tuition for Tivac's children.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If Anet were to charge CAD instead of USD for gems like other games with currency purchases I'd be happy to continue paying for Tivac's retirement :colbert:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Azazell0 posted:

I really wish they'd answered the questions about Malyck. It was one of the few interesting storylines they did.

Hey yeah, I'd love to know too - I wondered if they'd put the other sylvari tree in the expansion since it involved that race but unless I missed it, I dont remember tehre being another sylvari city, unless its modremoths base and i haven't got there yet. They said something about a river's source - forget where though.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

If Anet were to charge CAD instead of USD for gems like other games with currency purchases I'd be happy to continue paying for Tivac's retirement :colbert:

tbf can you really blame them for not wanting your funbucks?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
those gems are super valuable, you'd be basically stealing them if they accepted CAD

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

tbf can you really blame them for not wanting your funbucks?

just because our currency is plastic and rainbow-coloured doesn't mean it's not real ok

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Vargs posted:

I don't really care about communication. They could have told us exactly what they were doing every step of the way up to this point, and it still would have been just as disappointing. Words don't mean much anymore. I'll start playing and spending again if/when this game has actually added worthwhile content and made meaningful improvements.

Yeah transparency doesn't matter when it's all mediocre content getting churned out at roughly the same speed as a tranquilized sloth.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.
So, I've just started playing again... bought on release and never went over lvl51. When do I hit this wall of "nothing to do"? At 80? And is anyone still playing? I'm thinking about moving to the NA Servers...

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lots of people are still playing, but most goons are on the NA servers, specifically maguuma, if that matters to you. The wall of nothing to do is a long way off if you've never hit 80. Most of the complaints are people who've already played the old content, probably thousands of hours. You've got dungeons and fractals and world completion and events and guild missions and maybe story mode and cool achievements if you want. The game is Good and Fun but has been hit by an expansion plagued with rewards and design issue. There's still the whole base game and maybe one run through the expansion which is generally pretty good before you start having to deal with stupid event timers and worrying about your gold per hour.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

loving seriously though I've played 6 pvp games so far today and there hasn't been a single one where I haven't been straight up outclassed by the entire enemy team. I normally enjoy this PvP but I've barely won a fight in two hours. Falling down and not even really knowing what mistakes I've made for two hours isn't remotely fun. I just want one fair game. Is that too much to ask for? One where I have a loving chance? A single goddamn game?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing that can be annoying in gw2 pvp is it's really hard to tell what your doing wrong or where the enemies are without voice.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

its actually non viable to access a lot of the fun stuff in the xpac if you're not able to play full time, which is the reason i enjoyed the base game a lot

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

When you actually would like to use the various fun masteries to get through the maps, you're nowhere near getting them all unlocked. By the time you are, you don't want to do the same stuff anymore.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

dungeons were good because HEY ANYONE WANT TO DO X DUNGEON "yeah sure" hey look a group

fractals? unrewarding at low levels, needs AR for higher levels, really slow at really high levels

game is bad now

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I logged in after quite a bit of time these last 2 days to dick around and do guild missions with my friends and WvW is still good, and the new borderlands, at least aesthetically, are glorious. Really really good. I don't have an opinion on how they perform as wvw maps yet, though they seem fun enough. The new guild upgrades seem expensive for a 10 man guild though. Gonna take a while to unlock junk.

Also, I'm still not going to buy HoT until it's cheaper :v:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The new borderlands are really pretty, but all people do is run zerg trains. From my short experience. And you never see enemy players, or very rarely.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Welcome to being ripped off, this has been my experience in 90% of all (ingame) stores charging me in EUR instead of CHF or USD for the past 10 years of online gaming, if I can, you too can :dealwithit:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well, it finally happened.

I pugged a raid and we killed VG on the first attempt. No check for insights, no check for ascended gear, no asking for exp only, hell our tank didn't even talk about what strat they were using. We all just hopped into TS, did our jobs, and walked out of the raid with 20 min left on our food.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dreggon posted:

dungeons were good because HEY ANYONE WANT TO DO X DUNGEON "yeah sure" hey look a group

fractals? unrewarding at low levels, needs AR for higher levels, really slow at really high levels

game is bad now

i genuinely enjoyed dungeons and fractals aren't bulky enough to keep me interested right now so overall i'm not sure what the hell they were thinking with such a broad, sweeping move on their part. god forbid people get something worth their time from running a dungeon.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
It comes off as a complete lack of effort/care, because somehow the expansion that included "Dungeon rewards have been rebalanced to more accurately reflect the time needed to complete them. Experience and gold awarded for completing a dungeon have been reduced." also added 6x swamp fractal dailies, farming molten boss 40 for more gold per hour than anything in the game, and farming braziers in CoF1 as 'playing the game the way they want' while chest training Silverwastes was still more valuable. Even if it was about the liquid gold rewards, it doesn't really excuse them not even slapping a couple bags of salvage fodder on the daily end rewards, for how much we get drowned in the things from the rest of the game. If I'm remembering right they didn't even mention anything about reducing dungeon gold until a couple days before launch.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Didn't the AMA say they thought it was a mistake and they want to look at it again? Or was I dreaming?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Buttith slaying Holofernes

The Fart

Butt (Butte)

La Butte

A Buttday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Butte

Self Buttrait

Starry Butt

Whistler's Butt

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

mike12345 posted:

The new borderlands are really pretty, but all people do is run zerg trains. From my short experience. And you never see enemy players, or very rarely.

I like zergs, but the borderlands are too big and too much of a pain to move around in effectively. It's possible for competing zergs to never see each other on the same map, and what fun is that? The maps are gorgeous, but I don't want to just look at the scenery -- I want to be able to catch up with the enemy, crash into them, and kill them all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ItBurns posted:

The Fart

Butt (Butte)

La Butte

Self Buttrait

Starry Butt

Whistler's Butt

You're a national treasure and these should be preserved in the library of congress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

ItBurns posted:

The Fart

Butt (Butte)

La Butte

Self Buttrait

Starry Butt

Whistler's Butt

*checks thread after an eternity away*

:vince:

• Locked thread