Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How about a separate thread for the ms paint stuff?? I don't know.

Anyways I finally bought a Wii U pro controller and Super Mario Maker. Both are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

midna, crushing a mayonnaise packet with her hair hand, punching link in the stomach

Take your fetish requests to /v/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when i read a post in this thread and it's just an idea for a picture...

no thanks

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's only the fifth and we're already running out of posts, wth guys?!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I forgot my 3ds and I'm almost caught up with the various manga I read, any recommendations for games to emulate on my phone?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Who is picking up The Division on the 8th? I've already got my pre-order set up on the PS4 so I'm looking for some folks to play with.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broseph Brostar posted:

I forgot my 3ds and I'm almost caught up with the various manga I read, any recommendations for games to emulate on my phone?

Pokemon probably.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing a lot of different stuff right now. Mini Metro, Bloodborne, I just got Counterspy and preordered DS3. I tried Galak-Z, Guns Up, and Helldivers. AMD I'm going to checkout the new Who's Your Daddy update also, because they added a bunch of poo poo.

Looking forward to Ys VIII.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Looper posted:

these sketches are funny but half the posts in the thread being requests isn't

Actually the requests are fine. Shut up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

codenameFANGIO crying when a looper kicks his sandcastle over and makes a rude gesture

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So does anyone know what was going on with the ending to Blops 3 singleplayer? Were you Taylor all along? What was the deal with the hospital scene right before the last level?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium hugging her pals and having a grand time in the games talk thread or whatever. semper games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
soul blazer owns. they should add it as a vc game on the new 3ds snes virtual console thing or whatever

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Skeezy posted:

Who is picking up The Division on the 8th? I've already got my pre-order set up on the PS4 so I'm looking for some folks to play with.

I am picking The Division on the 8th but I'll probably run it with my non english speaking friends.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Looper posted:

codenameFANGIO crying when a looper kicks his sandcastle over and makes a rude gesture

But guys, videogames are good...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

soul blazer owns. they should add it as a vc game on the new 3ds snes virtual console thing or whatever

S-E won't even put Final Fantasy games on VC outside Japan, I don't think Soul Blazer has much chance :(

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

oddium posted:

midna, crushing a mayonnaise packet with her hair hand, punching link in the stomach

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
beyond two souls is loving hilarious

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

S-E won't even put Final Fantasy games on VC outside Japan, I don't think Soul Blazer has much chance :(

How else will they make 20 dollars off of mobile ports of FFIV?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

limaCAT posted:

But guys, videogames are good...

This person is right.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Sleeveless posted:

Ni No Clooney

Sorry for the bad Clooney

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

beyond two souls is loving hilarious

The make out scene late in the game is so awkward. They just kind of mash their faces together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

muscles like this? posted:

The make out scene late in the game is so awkward. They just kind of mash their faces together.

Especially since I spent the entire game telling that guy to gently caress off and that he was a creep

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

me irl every time cba posts posted:

jesus loving christ cardboard

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I like how Young Willem Dafoe just looks like regular willem with a bad wig on

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU

http://www.nodontdie.com/rebecca-heineman/

There was a company called Art Data Interactive. The CEO was a guy who was just a member of a church somewhere in Southern California. Somehow he was able to convince his friends at the church and other friends that 3DO is the wave of the future and that he needs their money to go ahead and form a game company. "Get in on this."

He raises $100,000. He then starts making this game. A Battle Chess ripoff.

And he feels the way he wants to do it is he wants to film all the people dressed up as chess pieces and that's what he's going to put on the game board.

The guy has no clue at all of game development. Nothing.

So he films all these scenes with money and then runs out of money and then he finds a programmer who makes a really crappy game because he just slaps everything together. And then he puts it out in the stores and thinks he's going to make all this money.

Well, the sales weren't really much and he got notified from all the vendors, all the stores saying, "Who the hell are you? Who is Art Data Interactive? I don't know. This chess game? Interplay's got Battle Chess. Why would we want your chess game?"

[Laughs.]
Well, at the time id was doing Doom and it was the big thing, and he thought, "Hey, if I license Doom and put it on the 3DO, it will put my company on the map."

So he went over to id, and at this point and time, id really wasn't sold on doing anything on consoles. At that time. And so they said, "You know what? If you want Doom? $250,000 and you'll get the rights."

Which at that time, everybody who saw this said, "Nope! Too expensive. Too expensive."

And really, id was just telling everybody to get lost. Randy, on the other hand, the CEO, said, "It's $250,000?"

And he raised it.

[Laughs.]
And he went to id and said, "Here's a check for $250,000. Give me the rights to Doom."

And id's like, "Okay? Here's the source code to Doom and thank you for the check, have a nice day."

And of course, you know, the royalties. Standard contract.

Well, Randy, because he did not know anything about game development, said, "Okay, we're gonna make the best game of Doom ever! We're gonna have new levels, new weapons, new everything."

As soon as he signed the contract -- the ink wasn't even dry yet. And he went onto a press tour telling everybody he has the rights to Doom, Art Data Interactive is gonna kick rear end, they're gonna have new levels, new weapons, and everything.

He even had a friend of his draw mock-up weapons. Just draw them on Photoshop and so forth and give him these screenshots. And he was saying, "These is actual game screenshots."

Of course the press is going, "Oh my God! This looks great! This is awesome!"

Well, he then went to a developer and said, "Hey, can you just do a version for me?"

And they said, "Sure. What you want is gonna take two years and a budget of, like, $3 million."

He said, "Oh no, no, no. You're lying to me."

He went to another developer who, in turn, somehow he finagled them to start on the project but he actually was intending not to pay them.

Well, after a few weeks of working on the project, this company then said, "Hey, we need our milestone payment."

And Randy after a while hemmed and hawed and hemmed and hawed and then this company stopped working on the game.

Well, now this is around July of 1996 I believe. And because of all the press tour, the 3DO company was actually hearing all the positive press that Doom was coming out for the 3DO and people were getting excited about it.

And then they come to find that after they went over and actually inspected Art Data Interactive and realized that this guy has no clue about what he's doing, they're like, "Oh my God. We are screwed."

[Laughs.]
At this particular time, I had just shipped Wolfenstein 3D for Interplay. I took the Mac code, which I did -- because I did the Mac port of Wolf 3D, ported it over to the 3DO, enhanced everything, and the game was running 60 frames a second. It was a phenomenal version of the game.

I was already known to 3DO, so they contact me. 3DO said, "Hey, we've got this project. Doom. We really want this game out by Christmas. Is there any way you can go ahead and do it because you know id?" I said, "Sure. Put me in touch with Art Data."

Well, of course, I talk to Art Data and they say, "Sure." We negotiate a price. They said, "Sure." And then I said, "Great."

Then what Art Data told me was the game was 90 percent complete. All I needed to do was finish up some bugs and get the game ready for shipping and get it out in about a month or two. And for me it's like, "Oh yeah. I've been doing projects where I just fix bugs and get games out the door. Nothing new to me." So I say, "Sure."

So then, of course, I ask them, "Give me the source code and the assets for Doom that you've got."

Two weeks go by and I keep getting excuses after excuses.

Randy says, "Well, why can't you just start it right now?"

I said, "Because I need this."

So I then called id and they sent me all the assets and everything for the Jaguar version of Doom as well as all the PC version stuff, too. I look at the code and I say, "Yeah, the Jaguar version, I can just do a straight port."

I said, "Well, I'll start working on it because I'm running out of time."

Well, then, I had a friend of mine who was working at Art Data come and privately take me aside and say, "Uh, we don't have anything. The developer that was working on it? They only got to it, like, the code to compile and nothing -- everything Randy was saying was lies."

I'm like, "Oh."

And that point, I was gonna say, "Okay. I'm canceling this project. We're done."

But then I had my friend at 3DO begging me, "Please. We really need this game out by Christmas. People are expecting it."

So I then told 3DO, "Sure. I will do it for you as a favor to you at 3DO. To help you with your platform."

Because they've helped me and helped build my company at the time. So, I did it more as a favor to them. And at that point, I then realized that because of all these delays and everything, it is now August. They need to ship this for Christmas, which means the drop-dead date for the disc would be November.

So that gives me October -- let's see. I started around August and I released the final disc on November 1st. That was 10 weeks.

I just said, "This is just going to be a straight Jaguar port."

I spent 10 weeks producing the source code that you saw up on Github and of course, when I was submitting builds to Randy over at Art Data, the frame rate wasn't that great because I just got the game prototype.

I didn't have time to optimize it.

And he was saying, "Why isn't this game running at 60 frames a second? Where is my new weapons? Where is my new stuff?"

And I'm like, "Do you have any idea how game development is done?"

Because he truly believed all you had to do to put a weapon in a game is to draw it.

He did believe that if you drew a weapon -- you just gave me the art file -- I would put it in the game and it would magically fire bullets. It would do all the effects animations and switch and -- he thought that was just me putting the art in there, hit "compile," and I'm done.

And so he was really pissed off at me during the development of the game because he was saying, "Where's new levels? I promised people new levels."

And then of course I turned around and said, "Well, you promised me a source-code drop and you said this game was 90 percent done and here it is I have to start from scratch."

And there were several times where I wanted to quit that project.

But every time, I was talked out of it by my friend at 3DO.

And so eventually I got the game basically shippable. I don't call it "finished." I call it shippable.

At that point, I sent the discs off to 3DO. 3DO fast-tracked it and had it approved, like, within a few days.

And then Randy at Art Data did the stupidest thing -- even more stupider than everything up to this point. He pressed 250,000 copies, as I understand it, of Doom for the 3DO.

To put it in perspective, there were only 250,000 3DOs in existence. It was a blunder of the same proportions of ET, where Atari printed out as much cartridges as there were consoles. Which is -- mathematically, you're never gonna sell them all.

Randy was so hard up for money because his investors were saying, "Hey, we invested all this money. Where are your profits?"

He thought, "All I have to press is 250,000 copies of the game, ship it to the stores, and then I will get the money for 250,000 copies."

Not understanding that you have to advertise it. There has to be a market base. It really shows how little he knew of the industry.

So, of course, Doom 3DO comes out. They sell, I think, 10,000 copies, which is what they should have sold.

Then it was, of course, universally panned. The music was great, but, you know, I myself knew the game was gonna get rated poorly because of the frame-rate issues.

But it was like -- 3DO had been promising people either indirectly through Randy that Doom was coming out that they had to fulfill their promise. So, in that particular sense, 3DO as well as Logicware, did fulfill the promise that was given to the public that 3DO Doom was available in stores.

[Laughs.]
Now, we didn't fulfill the promise Randy was saying, which was new levels, new weapons, "the best Doom ever."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F55JwkePIo

Proclick and Proread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I actually read that and yeah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah good stuff. Makes me think of Star Citizen, only worst

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really digging Counterspy so far, but it's a shame you can't turn off the pop-up button prompts in a game with such intuitive controls and slick style.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read something about the PS4 version of Beyond Two Souls having a chronological mode option. I wonder how that effects the flow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also even though i specifically told jodie's ghost bro to murder that social worker he didn't do it, loving lameo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Aiden is a pretty lovely stand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can't let Beyond Two Souls be mentioned without bringing up that even though they don't show any nudity, the game code still had fully rendered nude models for Ellen Page, and they got leaked and she threatened to sue David Cage's creepy baby-picture carrying rear end.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Can't be a David Cage game without a brunette woman getting almost raped.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If someone wants to make a Paint Games Things thread I will sticky it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Can't be a David Cage game without a brunette woman getting almost raped.

According to recovered voice clips it was supposed to be possible to let it happen.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Should I just get Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U now or would it be better to get the 3DS version??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skeezy posted:

Should I just get Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U now or would it be better to get the 3DS version??

The 3DS version kind of runs like rear end, doubly so if you don't have a New, but it does have all the content of the WiiU version including DLC plus a bunch of new stuff that would take anyone about 2000 hours to actually get through.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Do you have a new 3ds? The game runs like poo poo on old 3dses.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sorry I didn't specify, I have a New 3DS. So in that case is the 3DS the one to go with or just get the Wii one and be good.

Edit. Found a copy of Hyrule Warriors for $45 on eBay so I guess the Wii U version is where it's at for me.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm over Counterspy already. Bullshit videogame guns where the assault rifle does less damage per bullet than the pistol.

Edit: I also don't understand why it tells me not to do missions when the defcon is 1, even though doing missions is the only way to lower the defcon. At first I thought if I focused one faction, the other factions defcon would decrease, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I also encountered a shootout where I couldn't see the enemies because the fixed camera view placed the HUD elements over them.

It's a good game but it's got some rough edges.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 6, 2016

• Locked thread