Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

why are there still tourneys for it then, do they see it under the same ironic mindset they do hokuto no ken

SF3 followed literally the exact same arc as SF4 - called garbage by everyone for its entire life, but then when the next game comes out, looked back upon wistfully as The Good Old Days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I like to play Street Fighter 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=601BVOUScFw&hd=1

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

darealkooky posted:

btw when do we get to the point of this thread where people start making unfavorable comparisons with strekken 2013

Since the game was literally announced? And generally by the same people who fruitlessly shitpost today?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

darealkooky posted:

why are there still tourneys for it then, do they see it under the same ironic mindset they do hokuto no ken

"still" lol. in 2i (second impact) they have, i guess what you would call ironic tournies for. it took 3s years to gain popularity after its initial release. people still play and enjoy 3s somehow. these people are known as third strike mystics because they have unlocked the secret code to having fun in that lovely game.

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 5, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
things I have learned reading this thread: every fighting game is bad, and dumb

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I think we can decide whose argument wins or loses in this thread just by the level of irritability in the post.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

"still" lol. 2i they have, i guess what you would call ironic tournies for. it took 3s years to gain popularity after its initial release. people still play and enjoy 3s somehow. these people are known as third strike mystics because they have unlocked the secret code to having fun in that lovely game.

Those animals!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Jmcrofts posted:

SF3 followed literally the exact same arc as SF4 - called garbage by everyone for its entire life, but then when the next game comes out, looked back upon wistfully as The Good Old Days.

Now that you mention it, Capcom Fighting Jam at least had Jedah...

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Revelant posted:

Here a question.

What's your fighter id thing? I'm in South Africa and I'd be up for bringing out my scrubby mika that breaks under any sort of pressure. ID is salad_

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I think we can decide whose argument wins or loses in this thread just by the level of irritability in the post.

The people who enjoy this game seem pretty chill to me. Then again, people who enjoy this game are likely hugbox scrubs or whatever Bebop called the majority of fighting game players prevalent on the forums these days lol.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I like it when being good in a video game goes in to head of someone. That shows character.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey they changed the Final Fantasy thread name, that means we can steal the old one right? Street Fighter: Every game is the worst game in the series.

PS Pressing buttons as Mr. Bison is p fun

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

things I have learned reading this thread: every fighting game is bad, and dumb

almost all of them are really unbelievably bad, and most of the bad ones are also dumb. a lot of the good ones are dumb too. SF5 is somewhere slightly outside of bad but clearly far away from good but definitely dumb. as another example, sf3:3s is dumb and bad, while a game like marvel 2 is dumb and good. I've played a majority of arcade fighters released for CPS1,2 and 3 and Neo-Geo extensively and finding a decent game is very, very hard.

Jmcrofts posted:

are people really doing this though? I don't know many people who would call 3s a good game. maybe they would call it a fun game to dick around in or a familiar game that they played with others, but even in Austin a lot of people that played it played it begrudgingly. and do people really look back fondly on SF4? its really awful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Zand posted:

are people really doing this though? I don't know many people who would call 3s a good game. maybe they would call it a fun game to dick around in or a familiar game that they played with others, but even in Austin a lot of people that played it played it begrudgingly. and do people really look back fondly on SF4? its really awful.

SF4 is weird in that I completely hated playing it, but thought it was great as a spectator game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Zand posted:

almost all of them are really unbelievably bad, and most of the bad ones are also dumb. a lot of the good ones are dumb too. SF5 is somewhere slightly outside of bad but clearly far away from good but definitely dumb. as another example, sf3:3s is dumb and bad, while a game like marvel 2 is dumb and good. I've played a majority of arcade fighters released for CPS1,2 and 3 and Neo-Geo extensively and finding a decent game is very, very hard.

What's your favorite fighting game from the last decade?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

There's nothing wrong with liking the zaniness of some of 3S's characters or the idea of parries (and how that compares to Just Defends in Garou), or the fact that someone likes SF4 because it was their major introduction to the series (which seemed to be a common sentiment when people were looking back on it, prior to SFV's release), just like there isn't anything inherently wrong with not liking SFV, etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zand posted:

but even in Austin a lot of people that played it played it begrudgingly.

From what I've been told, people in Austin do everything begrudgingly, so I'm not sure if that's a valid point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Thanks to this thread I have learned that there's literally no such thing as a playable fighting game

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Srice posted:

Thanks to this thread I have learned that there's literally no such thing as a playable fighting game

I'm sure everyone would agree with me that the best fighting game of all time is Melty Blood Actress Again. It's very playable, and good.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you know there are games besides street fighter right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jm croft, can you do a video where you break down some video on how people get in and execute a combo against live opponents? obviously jump ins work, but i need help on the ground with ryu i have a hard time getting into range for a st mp combo, even blocking unsafe attacks, i'm getting pushed out often enough that i will whiff. thanks.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

darealkooky posted:

you know there are games besides street fighter right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk&hd=1

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What's your favorite fighting game from the last decade?

if HNK counts, it came out on the PS2 in 2007, I probably had more fun in HNK than most other fg. as a close second/tie, GGAC was alright, but way worse than reload. that was 2006. Since I had been playing since X, to XX, #R, and slash, AC was a nice change of pace so I learned to like it at the time. I didn't really get into AC+R but I've heard it doesn't have the same awful poo poo that regular AC had in it. GGXRD is neat and kinda fun but it suffers from things that exist to increase accessibility as do most new competitive games, and I think it basically sucks even though when you put it next to a game like SF5 it looks impeccable. I mostly play old games on Fightcade because they are more fun to me than the stuff made by Dimps or a lot of the anime fighters.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm sure everyone would agree with me that the best fighting game of all time is Melty Blood Actress Again. It's very playable, and good.

how come you don't play me in MBAACC then?

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

jm croft, can you do a video where you break down some video on how people get in and execute a combo against live opponents? obviously jump ins work, but i need help on the ground with ryu i have a hard time getting into range for a st mp combo, even blocking unsafe attacks, i'm getting pushed out often enough that i will whiff. thanks.

If you're bad at this game like me, what helped me is just practicing footsies more until the opportunities just start to appear.

You probably won't get a ton of mp -> cr.hp links but mp -> mp xx fireball or mp -> cr.mk xx fireball and stuff happens allot for me in neutral.

Also dash microsprint helps.

Gold Dust Gasoline fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 6, 2016

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Zand what would your dream fighting game be like? Or does it already exist? Serious question.

edit: I guess you already answered it kinda, it's HNK right?

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 6, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

You probably won't get a ton of mp -> cr.hp links but mp -> mp xx fireball or mp -> cr.mk xx fireball and stuff happens allot for me in neutral.

yeah those happen all the time even by accident.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
Then you're hot to trot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:D

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Big Scary Owl posted:

Zand what would your dream fighting game be like? Or does it already exist? Serious question.

edit: I guess you already answered it kinda, it's HNK right?

na I like hnk but I don't think its like my dream fg. hnk would be a lot cooler without bball infis honestly. hnk style boost has been implemented in other fgs in ways I'm not really a big fan of, like in arcana heart series. i like 1 button instant throws with big range and no special whiff animations with 1-2f tech windows max. assists tend to be really fun, and so are 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 style games like ngbc/marvel/kofxi. i tend to like games with extreme offensive options but not always games that have extreme offense that results in what people are now calling "setplay" or "vortices." and i like combos but mostly games where combos must be dynamically changed for things like meter management/spacing/what you wanna do after the combo like in guilty gear. I also tend to like games where things like tough links for combos are visually understandable, like being able to see a character falling/bouncing/flying and time your hit accordingly like in xmenvsf or the gg series. a game having a combo focus like a lot of anime fighters isnt that interesting to me though since I'm probably not going to dedicate a lot of time to whatever the newest lovely anime fg is.

like I couldn't really craft a dream fighter because the mechanics i like in older games have to be taken in the context of those games. like assist implementations in fgs tend to be extremely bad or extremely fun, like it was awful in sengoku basara x but cool in nitroplus. if I put all my favorite mechanics in one fg it would probably be a horrible mess like the poo poo on mugen. different fgs fit different purposes for me also. like I don't even play mvc2 seriously and I'm bad at it, but really it's the most easy to pick up and play and have a good time with friends fg I've ever encountered. and I think ST is incredibly stressful and obnoxious to play depending on what character you're fighting (like if its sim, or claw, or boxer, or anyone with grab loops) but its also very fun in an arcade setting with many players. sometimes I just like to play marvel super heroes and do wolverine infinites on people. My dream game is basically just playing on fightcade, every game, a lot, and ive been doing that for a while. Unfortunately a lot of old games have mechanics that might seem cool at first but when they get explored the games just tend to be broken trash. even then, fightcade is probably the best game out right now

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cammy's V-reversal is so greasy.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Zand posted:

how come you don't play me in MBAACC then?

You never asked~

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I can confirm that random games on fightcade are hella fun even if you are garbage

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hey crofts 1)lol 2)i made that post before i gave up playing any of the stubby buttons characters, picked chun, and found out jab beats everything

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Hello everybody, I'm poverty fighting game man.

Street Fighter sucks!!!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean if you don't see whats boring about the majority of characters having braindead anti-airs and the dynamic of low risk jumpins that are also really bad.

I'd prefer they buff jumpins and make anti-airs more situational (this could mainly be fixed by removing the giant hurtboxes from jumpins) but increasing the reward. Crush counters seem tailor made for it but they realized that with how terrible jumpins are, consistent crush counter anti-airs into a combo would be too good. The only character that really kept it was Dhalsim and its on an extremely situational button that you have to react with early and it's cool and good which is a rarity in this game.

You could of course have "reliable" anti-air buttons that don't crush counter as well! You know, variety.
the effectiveness of certain character's anti-air options is actually my biggest complaint about the game. it's a choice i don't care for. i played a ton of boxer in 4 and c. hp was one of the best anti airs in the game, but sfv makes that look highly situational. characters that are anti airing me after i am already DEEP in a cross-up annoy me.

eat a dick, birdie.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

gently caress Street Fighter V, everyone lets go play Fighting Layer. It has a shark.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
The antiairs thing is actually annoying as gently caress, Birdie's is bullshit. The game still has a pretty fun neutral and throws actually being scary again is cool, the games not perfect but it is very fun I think.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Forgive my ignorance but are there any other fgs that have autocorrecting AA normals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are jump-ins actually too weak or is this like when before release half this thread bitched about damage being too low and it actually turned out to be fine.