Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I got this game recently and it's becoming one of my favorite racing games :D

Any tips for sharp turns with the mini cooper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Linnaeus posted:

I got this game recently and it's becoming one of my favorite racing games :D

Since the MINI is FWD, just take care not to overload the front tires by braking too hard and turning at the same time. But don't be afraid to left-foot brake a little through faster turns either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Handbrake the living poo poo out of it. You have to swing that back end like a baseball bat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

njsykora posted:

Handbrake the living poo poo out of it. You have to swing that back end like a baseball bat.

Yup. Soon as you pull that level/hit that button, it'll swing right around.

Then buy the 1970's Lancia Stratos :D

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Handbraking is the easiest way around, but I always get frustrated losing so much speed. Left foot braking is the way to do it if you want to go fast.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Linnaeus posted:

Yeah -- buy the Stratos.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

njsykora posted:

This is good advice

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hey, Dirt Rally is up for preorder on the Xbone store now if that's your thing. It apparently comes with a fully upgraded Mini in both 60s and RX flavours, some skins and some engineers as well. Also apparently SA word filters X-bone now.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Stumbled across some trailers and I might pick this game up for PS4 when it's released.
I've read some reviews and looks like the game is very good, but the career mode is a bit grindy? And also,do you have to fiddle with your car settings a lot? I know it's a rally simulator, but I'd rather not spend most of the time finetuning my car settings. I want to go out and drive really fast.
Basically, is it worth the €60 on consoles?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Stumbled across some trailers and I might pick this game up for PS4 when it's released.
I've read some reviews and looks like the game is very good, but the career mode is a bit grindy? And also,do you have to fiddle with your car settings a lot? I know it's a rally simulator, but I'd rather not spend most of the time finetuning my car settings. I want to go out and drive really fast.
Basically, is it worth the €60 on consoles?

The career is grindy, but it's also 100% optional. They took the Rock Band approach of having a career mode that unlocks things over time, and a quick play mode that has everything unlocked right away. If you don't want to grind, or if you want to test out a car before you grind toward it, then just play custom mode.

Fiddling with settings is a min-max thing. Do it if you want to fix particular quirks about the default setup, ignore it if you don't care. The game has little blurbs about what adjusting a slider does to the car's handling so you can quickly gently caress around with things, or you can dig into it in more detail. If you hate how a car handles out of the box, then chances are you can Google some recommended settings for it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ok cool. I just pre-ordered the Legends Edition like an idiot. Hope I can start crashing into trees soon!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

beedeebee posted:

Ok cool. I just pre-ordered the Legends Edition like an idiot. Hope I can start crashing into trees soon!

Hey not everyone crashes into trees. Some of us crash into snowbanks and rocks instead.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The game excellent apart from the low number of courses. It doesn't take long until you know them all by heart, and rallying from memory instead of notes is kind of against the spirit of the whole thing.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Double Bill posted:

The game excellent apart from the low number of courses. It doesn't take long until you know them all by heart, and rallying from memory instead of notes is kind of against the spirit of the whole thing.

Can you at least reverse them? And change weather conditions etc?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Can you at least reverse them? And change weather conditions etc?

Yes and yes.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Hey not everyone crashes into trees. Some of us crash into snowbanks and rocks instead.

And parked cars and logs and gates and spectators and...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I once crashed into the plane.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My favourite part of how this game penalises you is that a flat tire is worth at least 6 human lives.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Great Joe posted:

My favourite part of how this game penalises you is that a flat tire is worth at least 6 human lives.

Well broken rubber can ruin lives.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Luckily the group B cars don't make more spectators spawn on the sides, or I would be getting DNFs all over the place for exceeding the 15 minutes.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Edmond Dantes posted:

Luckily the group B cars don't make more spectators spawn on the sides, or I would be getting DNFs all over the place for exceeding the 15 minutes.

that.. might be pretty awesome

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Skwee posted:

that.. might be pretty awesome
Death Race 1984

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
well i meant more of the super-narrow if you gently caress up you lose instantly sort of thing

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Skwee posted:

well i meant more of the super-narrow if you gently caress up you lose instantly sort of thing

Does this not already describe Group B?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Renounced posted:

Does this not already describe Group B?

no not really

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Skwee posted:

no not really

Then you're driving too slow :v:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
nah you can go off the road a bit and not lose instantly. If it was lined with people though..

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Holy poo poo I finally found this thread. I swear I looked though the games threads on several occasions and never saw it. I knew goons had to be playing this. Anyway I picked this up immediately after it came out of nowhere. But I've only really started playing it after I got a G29 for Christmas. I just couldn't play it like I wanted with the DS4. I've been tweaking ffb and setups as I plod through the pro championship with a 95 imprezza

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Fingers McGee posted:

Holy poo poo I finally found this thread. I swear I looked though the games threads on several occasions and never saw it. I knew goons had to be playing this. Anyway I picked this up immediately after it came out of nowhere. But I've only really started playing it after I got a G29 for Christmas. I just couldn't play it like I wanted with the DS4. I've been tweaking ffb and setups as I plod through the pro championship with a 95 imprezza

Check out this incredible FFB profile. It's for G25/G27 but I assume it's fine for G29 as well. It was made by a guy who claims to do rally racing IRL and tweaked it to resemble how his car feels, as best as he could. It's really loving fun.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Shine posted:

Check out this incredible FFB profile. It's for G25/G27 but I assume it's fine for G29 as well. It was made by a guy who claims to do rally racing IRL and tweaked it to resemble how his car feels, as best as he could. It's really loving fun.

I use it on my G920 (which I think is the exact same as G29) and it works just fine. Much better than stock settings at the very least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I use that FFB profile and it was a pretty rude awakening coming from Automobilista's rallycross to Dirt Rally and being reminded that DR's FFB actively tries to hurt you with that profile.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
https://fat.gfycat.com/ReasonableDisguisedIncatern.webm

wow that is big

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Group Beef should be banned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql7DvbZzq_E&t=10s

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I did see that profile earlier in the thread and played around with it this week. I like it, its similar to the setup I was using before but more streamlined. I switched over to it today and finished out the last 2 rallys to finish 3rd in the pro championship. That got me the 500k I needed for the 01 Subaru and an invite to the elite championship. I was a little extra motivated today after going to a rally yesterday. Now I need to plow through the 1000 pictures i took.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Anyone using using a Thrustmaster T150? I could use some setup tips!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What's the setup issue?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

What's the setup issue?
Also have a Thrustmaster T-150 and I think the issue is just that the default setup doesn't feel very good in Dirt Rally.

Not an expert by any means to know what the issue is, but the standard FFB feels really bad in Dirt Rally compared with PCars and Stock Car Extreme (using the T-300 profile since it didn't have a T-150 one), the other two titles I've used it with. I ended up just turning down the FFB strength on everything because I felt like the wheel was pulling really hard to one side or the other all the time and inexplicably so often, based on the actual visuals of the course/my speed (like sometimes it was pulling hard left when the course ought to be pulling the wheels/car to the right).

Was going to look if there were any good user made setups for the T-150, but never got around to it before feeling like taking a break.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

njsykora posted:

What's the setup issue?

Oh, I guess my first post pretty misleading. It's no problem with the actual getting stuff to work, it's more that the FFB is crappy.

The defaults just feel very off in pretty much every way, to the point where it feels like I'm not driving a at all. I have changed a bunch of things to make it feel better. What I would really like though is some one else's profile to compare mine with to see if there are more improvements to make.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, the T150 is unique right now in that its motor is a combination gear and belt, so the belt profiles will feel overly strong and the gear profiles will be a little weak. You're probably best off using a G27 profile and tweaking it a little. FFB is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hi. I made a thread in LP for people who are super new to this game. Like, really really new to it, because I felt that Dirt Rally doesn't do a good enough job explaining itself to new players. So, this is me trying to bridge that gap. I've already got the next episode lined up, but if you have any suggestions on topics or cars to cover, shoot.

• Locked thread