Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Man Whore posted:

Everytime I see that theres a new friday night fisticuffs I get really hype until half way through it when I remember that fighting games bore the poo poo out of me.

Saturday morning scrublords however...Thats my poo poo.

If you quit out of the video before the fight at 29:43 or the final boss you miiiiight want to rethink that decision.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want to know what happens if you beat up the knight

It sends you on the upper path, which will give you the option of fighting an eagle or a tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pigbuster posted:

It sends you on the upper path, which will give you the option of fighting an eagle or a tiger.

Amazing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That arcade path had like 20 branching paths.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Watching the Demon's Souls stream, I love all of Woolie's "This isn't like Dark Souls 2!" moments. There's a lot of them this time around.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Almost like it's hard to talk and joke for the internet while playing a video game

Sorry I insulted Pat's video game honor, but I'm sure he's glad you were here to get really defensive about it. :worship:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kimmalah posted:

Watching the Demon's Souls stream, I love all of Woolie's "This isn't like Dark Souls 2!" moments. There's a lot of them this time around.

Sorry I insulted Pat's video game honor, but I'm sure he's glad you were here to get really defensive about it. :worship:

I'm not owned! I'm not owned!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Oh my god the ogres in Naruto

Why do they have just 2 frames of animation

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's like you can see the exact moment in that game when the budget dried up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh man, this FFX run is not going well if they think character switching wastes turns and now they think Summons waste a limited bar of use.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I almost want a Pat and Liam Sticker Star LP so I can feel Liam slowly turning into a pillar of salt as he plays just like what happened to me when I naively got that game as a birthday present.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

sirtommygunn posted:

It's like you can see the exact moment in that game when the budget dried up.

its like a real anime!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

That's like saying "don't play Persona 3, Persona 4 is much better". You're not wrong, but you're missing the point.

Pat has played EB and hated it and for JRPGs I mostly only want Pat/Liam. And if Mother was on the table it'd be on the table once so make it 3

and yeah people really shouldn't play Persona 3

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man Whore posted:

its like a real anime!

real anime is generally, mercifully, short

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

Pat has played EB and hated it and for JRPGs I mostly only want Pat/Liam. And if Mother was on the table it'd be on the table once so make it 3

and yeah people really shouldn't play Persona 3

Earthbound is more remarkable and so is P3, also Pat has bad opinions.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think a Tales game would be pretty good to watch the full gang play through if they cut out battles where cool things didn't happen.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Earthbound is more remarkable and so is P3
No? Mother 3 and P4 are literally better in every single way than their predecessors with the singular exception of P3 having a better final section than P4.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I think a Tales game would be pretty good to watch the full gang play through if they cut out battles where cool things didn't happen.

I'd love a 4 person Tales LP but that would take forever and I don't know which they'd play. I've heard Zestria is good but I've only heard that from the ADTRW chat thread which is the most suspect source possible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

No? Mother 3 and P4 are literally better in every single way than their predecessors with the singular exception of P3 having a better final section than P4.

No? I mean, it's subjective as gently caress, I'm just trying to make it more evident since you started the whole debacle. Four different games, four different stories, slight improvements on mechanics aren't enough to say "PLEASE DON'T PLAY X PLAY Y" like it's an enhanced version or something.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The "improvements" in P4 were all to things that never bothered me a lot in P3 and I prefer the way P3 handles its story and character stuff most of the time. But again, you don't need to choose only one at the expense of the other.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

The "improvements" in P4 were all to things that never bothered me a lot in P3 and I prefer the way P3 handles its story and character stuff most of the time. But again, you don't need to choose only one at the expense of the other.

the question was picking the ideal one for a (completely theoretical) LP

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 6, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the answer is neither

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, they already did Undertale, the best Mother game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
100% Hotline Miami 1 and 2 when

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

P3 is a good game if you like your story backloaded in the last 25% of the game.

edit: I probably liked Zestiria more than anyone else in the Tales thread, but it's pretty rough.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 6, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I've heard Zestria is good but I've only heard that from the ADTRW chat thread which is the most suspect source possible.

It's good but it is trying to do the same things that Graces F already did great and failing at it. It also somehow has the worst camera I've seen an action game have in years.

The small mercy of a Tales game LP would be that you could set it to the easiest difficulty and just skip encounters since most of them don't do the random encounter thing, but if they're going to do another JRPG LP I'd stick to another one of the sub-10 hour ones. Still want to see them do Lisa at some point.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phantasium posted:

It's good but it is trying to do the same things that Graces F already did great and failing at it.

Good lord, Graces F was terrible, what does that mean?

Like hopefully the combat, because in that GF was actually the best but everything else about that game was just, like, I'd sooner replay Abyss.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rodyle posted:

the question was picking the ideal one for a (completely theoretical) LP

Then in that case neither. That's a dumb idea.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The equipment system of Zestiria is very tedious in a grindy, very specific equipment way that they would absolutely hate.

The combat is worse than Graces, and a lot of people say it's bad because the combat is restrictive with 4 total attacks not including buffs, until you recharge a meter.

Also your starting meter decreases per combat.

And the story is super meandering with a villain as yawn boring nothing as Matt would call it the worst.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Then in that case neither. That's a dumb idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

So explain why mother 3 is so much better, please

You just keep saying "nuh uh it's better" without backing it up

I'm not saying it's bad, far from it, but you keep acting like people just shouldn't play eb at all in lieu of playing m3, when it's still a fantastic game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not saying it's bad, far from it, but you keep acting like people just shouldn't play eb at all in lieu of playing m3, when it's still a fantastic game.

No I said if they were to LP one it should be 3. It has better combat, environments, characters, music, and story.

EB is a neat thing but it's a quirky historical footnote where Mother 3 is an actual member of the RPG pantheon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is it like the Demon's Souls pantheon where all of the stats and attributes are hacked in and the positions are all undeserved?

edit: Feel free to use this as a response to that post if you don't like mother 3 by the way, I give you free license to this poor comeback #wtfu

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

No I said if they were to LP one it should be 3. It has better combat, environments, characters, music, and story.

EB is a neat thing but it's a quirky historical footnote where Mother 3 is an actual member of the RPG pantheon.

I still would prefer they play eb and then move on to mother 3 after, though. If only because if it's truly so superior, then going back would be more difficult, while going forward they could appreciate the improvements all the more(and we'd get twice the lp :v: ). And eb has some of the most iconic scenes in any game I've played (most notably, of course, the entire final boss stuff).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I still would prefer they play eb and then move on to mother 3 after, though. If only because if it's truly so superior, then going back would be more difficult, while going forward they could appreciate the improvements all the more(and we'd get twice the lp :v: ). And eb has some of the most iconic scenes in any game I've played (most notably, of course, the entire final boss stuff).

That's part of EB's problem though, that game's got some real rough pacing. Mother 3 moves you from setpiece to area etc at a decent clip and you're rarely doing anything boring, certainly not for long. EB has some real slogs between its major areas, and the actual melody dungeons feel like they were put it from another, more boring game.

e: well they were of course, from Mother 1, but talking about games nobody should give a gently caress about

e: on the other hand, it can't be worse than Naruto!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Good lord, Graces F was terrible, what does that mean?

I don't know, I don't live in backwards world, Graces is great. :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Graces uses an incredible combat engine to spit in my eye with characters such as Hubert, Sophie, Asbel, Cheria, and worst of all, Pascal.

Good god, loving Pascal.

Malik and Future Arc Richard are alright but that's just the Jade/Tenebrae clause of climbing on the corpses of other characters to a higher status.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

God I wish they'd made it through those last few overwatches, Ana Castro was so close to becoming a loving legend.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I hate this place"

you know I had my doubts about the FFX because I just don't think that game's good but man the LP fodder is basically limitless

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
For no reason other than the game has a special place in my heart despite being thoroughly mediocre: Oni.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sorry but Oni was kind of trash, SHOGO is a better fake anime game.

It's sad how so many 3D FPS games from 1996-8 are impossible to enjoy anymore, they are so barren it hurts, MAYBE quake is still worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I tried to play Quake once awhile ago but the color palette and repeating textures make it a vomit nightmare