Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

blarzgh posted:

yeah, you're right, people shouldn't have to pay for things if they don't feel like it.

loving jackass.

The medical services I received were, in fact, paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
send them a letter asking to prove that you owe the debt they claim you owe

then pay them because everyone here knows you more than likely actually owe them

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Ludwig van Halen posted:

The medical services I received were, in fact, paid for.

Have you tried selling your debt to a collection agency?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If by settled my case you mean sat on the sidelines while my health insurance paid everything, then yes.

I don't really get the sympathy for the hard working debt collectors in this thread. Unless the lawyers here are running collection businesses on the side.

Collection agencies are poo poo. You still owe that money.

Unless you specifically hired him as a general counsel or to fight debt collection agencies, your lawyer has no obligation to defend you from said agencies.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If by settled my case you mean sat on the sidelines while my health insurance paid everything, then yes.

I'm sure both the liability insurer and your UM carrier were begging to give you money, that's usually how insurance companies operate, definitely.

Or are you mad that the lawyer didn't pay your medical bills for you? How much did you get in settlement? Still mad you had to pay 1/3 to the lawyer when you could have done all this by yourself?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Aliquid posted:

Alright, alright, y'all win. I didn't give a poo poo what risks she would be taking on her end; that's her deal. If it's actually a crime for me to assist her, I'm out. I wasn't being scammed, just turning in a favor for when I lived in Nigeria for a year and she and her sister saved my rear end more than once.

The plan was roughly this: her visa interview is on March 7. She found out she was pregnant just two months ago and would fly in around June. She'd live with her sister, a grad student in the US, for the months it took to pop. I was probably loving up by using the 1 month time frame, since Nigeria-US tourist visas last two years.

I know this is pages ago now, but this isn't how visas work. Even if the consulate issued her a visa for two years, when she arrives in the US CBP gets to screen her entry and determine how long to admit her for. As a tourist it will never be more than 90 days, but the officer has discretion to give whatever time he wants. So he can say 'oh, when is your return trip? One month? I am giving you exactly that long in the US'.

Or he can take a long look at a heavily pregnant woman attempting to enter the US, do the math, and deny her entry at airport, in which case she gets bounced right back out of the country.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Weird legal question while we're on the subject. Just out of curiosity.
Suppose you're a pregnant woman from some random 3rd world country. You're financially well off, but your pregnancy has some sort of weird twist where it will require first rate medical attention in order to deliver safely. Is there some sort of mechanism where someone in that position could travel to the US to deliver and then return without getting tangled up in birthright citizenship issues?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I don't really get the sympathy for the hard working debt collectors in this thread. Unless the lawyers here are running collection businesses on the side.

I've done defense work for debt collectors, and usually they're the better party, so uh

I'm still curious how your lawyer ended up doing PI and debt collection

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Suppose you're a pregnant woman from some random 3rd world country. You're financially well off, but your pregnancy has some sort of weird twist where it will require first rate medical attention in order to deliver safely. Is there some sort of mechanism where someone in that position could travel to the US to deliver and then return without getting tangled up in birthright citizenship issues?

Bring a couple of sacks of soil from your home country and promise to give birth on top of that, border control will let you right through.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lobsterpillar posted:

Bring a couple of sacks of soil from your home country and promise to give birth on top of that, border control will let you right through.

Yeah, but then you run the risk of being identified as a possible vampire and that's no good.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, but then you run the risk of being identified as a possible vampire and that's no good.

The dirt seems like a good idea because everyone knows that vampires can't get pregnant. However, the minimum sentence for impersonating a vampire is exsanguination before a vampiric tribunal. It's not worth the risk.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Goddammit I came here to ask if she was a pregnant lady or a vampire. drat you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Issue is moot anyway because customs will seize the soil on phytosanitary grounds.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's other countries you can go to that don't let you have citizenship unless your parents are citizens. I think North and South America might be the only ones that do it that way, while in Europe your parents have to be citizens.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not really. If the baby survives whatever crazy problem requires transport & delivery in the US, it gets citizenship, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The kid had to choose at 18 assuming he leaves the us after birth

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but I only volunteered for an immigration law charity for about 4 months.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think if her native country makes her ambassador to the US before sending her over, her kid won't get birthright citizenship in the US.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe agree to put the $2350 citizenship renunciation fee in escrow, make the visa contingent on renunciation and then renounce on the kid's behalf upon their birth?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you need to come to the US for treatment you have to do it under a regular B-2 (tourist) visa, there isn't any sort of special class. You have to get a ton of evidence though, things like letters from your doctors explaining your condition and evidence that the treatment isn't available in your home country but is available in the US, and it serves some reasonable chance of helping you (you can't just fly to the US for the privilege of dying in comfort, sorry). You need a treatment plan and an estimated cost from wherever you are getting treated in the US, and then evidence that you can pay for it. I have never had to deal with this relating to a pregnancy issue, but you might get asked why you are flying to the US rather than another country that has comparable care - there is probably a fairly narrow range of treatments that are only available in the US or significantly better than in other countries that might be closer.

It's much easier to get medical extensions if you are in the US. I have had a couple cases where people came to the US in a normal status and then got sick, and ended up staying here for years without much hassle (one was an older woman who came to visit her son and had multiple heart attacks, the strain of traveling would probably have killed her, and the other was someone on working visa who developed a very severe form of cancer that only has a treatment plan in the US. He stayed for about two years on medical extensions and went home to be with his family when treatment didn't take :smith:)

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
We live in Cook County, Illinois. Homeowner lives in Boone County, West Virginia (if for some reason it's relevant)

I would like to know where we stand legally on this, because family is involved and there was a lot of demands being made that are pretty ridiculous.

We live in my grandmother's house and pay her monthly rent and the utilities. We've been late on the rent sometimes but we've never *not* paid it. For family drama reasons, she is now selling our house, and the realtor came by yesterday to take measurements and look around, as well as get my contact information in order to make appointments for showing buyers around. Because of this we have told her we will be moving out June 1st. She began screaming that she can't afford the house and we *will* be staying and paying rent until the house is bought. (lol)

Really we just want her out of our lives, but I think my mom is going to cave in and stay here until the house is sold like her mom demanded.

We have no written lease or rental agreement, all home repair expenses have been out of our own pockets, and grandma claims to have defaulted on one of the mortgages??? (WTF was our rent paying)

Where do we stand legally on this? Can we just flip her the bird and leave her with her own mess on June 1st?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IMNAL but I landlorded not in are in but unless there are weird laws that really hate tenant's.
No lease means you have no obligation to stay usually it's customary to provide 30-60 days but not required if not outlined in Ina lase.
When she rented the house she took the risk of having it vacant, it has to be built into the cost of the rent. What if she sells it and buyer wants to move in in 15 days?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IANAL, but why don't you buy the house from her? Ask for a discount because the previous tenants were making meth in the basement. You may need to also start making meth in the basement.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

sullat posted:

IANAL, but why don't you buy the house from her? Ask for a discount because the previous tenants were making meth in the basement. You may need to also start making meth in the basement.

The house is a piece of poo poo townhouse from the 50s that needs thousands of dollars of work, including electrical, so we would rather just walk away.

Edit: Plus we can't even use our street due to school busses in the morning and afternoon. It gets barricaded.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Like, how would she make you stay in the house?

Is your gramma Kathy Bates?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
The house is actually the bus from speed

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

The house is actually the bus from speed

IF THE VARIABLE INTEREST RATE GOES ABOVE 5.5%, THE MORTGAGE WILL EXPLODE.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

blarzgh posted:

IF THE VARIABLE INTEREST RATE GOES ABOVE 5.5%, THE MORTGAGE WILL EXPLODE.

Should gone fixed man.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Would it be legal to create software that accessed a person's account data, and displayed it in a more useful format, and profit from that software?

There is a website that has very important data for many people. It is not mobile optimized. They do not have a public API. I want to build an app that provides access to that data. None of the data goes to my servers. No analysis is done on the data. You provide your account information, the software logs in directly, parses the results, and displays it in a more pleasing format. I want to put advertisements in the app to profit from it.

In order to login, it says you must agree to a license agreement. Part of the license has a statement which says:

quote:

You agree not to use, nor permit any third party to use, the Services or content in a manner that violates any applicable law, regulation or this Agreement. You agree you will not: Reproduce, modify, copy, deconstruct, sell, trade or resell the Services.

Would this open me up to a lawsuit? My company is a Delaware LLC. It seems that other companies, like Mint, access your personal bank account data, but perhaps they have made deals with each and every bank.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's probably against the terms of the contract.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

They could ban a person who uses the software, but is creating and profiting from software that facilitates users to break the ToS themselves opening my company up to legal action?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes, probably. If you can afford to incorporate, you need to consult a lawyer in your state.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Get a lawyer. Most scraper software gets sued eventually unless they have permission.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Why not just contact the company and ask them how they feel about it?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EwokEntourage posted:

Why not just contact the company and ask them how they feel about it?

"Hi, I'm not associated with you in any way, but I'm going to make money off of your product, by injecting advertisements in front of your users, and when my product breaks, people are probably going to yell at you."

There are actually lots of interesting legal questions around this software, because it's conceptually sitting between an alternative web browser (probably OK) and active scraping (probably not). But, "interesting legal questions" in a business context translates to "get a lawyer, work with them on the specifics of the case, and be prepared to pay them an enormous amount of money."

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks for your advice, this is a great thread full of helpful people. I think this is too risky to try and pursue.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There has been an outbreak of goddamn stupid people on a Facebook fishkeeping group I am a member of, and it's always the same 1 or 2 people wanting to keep an illegal species, like piranha or freshwater stingrays, and every time people egg them on and insist Facebook isn't admissible in court, and even if "some narc squeals" on them to the game and fish department, they need a warrant to enter your house and can't walk in based on just some Facebook posts or photos.

I'm pretty sure Facebook posts (especially ones with a person's real name and job) can be used in a court, right? As in, if chucklefuck one posts photos of his new stingray, it might not be as serious as posting a pic of yourself with a bag of coke, but calling it coke might get you a police visit. I myself don't keep the illegal fish in question (or any others) but I also don't want to get looped in with the chucklefucks who insist breaking the law isn't breaking the law until you're caught.

gently caress, there was a guy in the group a few years ago who was selling illegal crustaceans, and he was set up in a sting, got caught, almost lost his license for real estate, had to pay over 4 grand in fees...and all of his tanks were nuked and the animals killed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yes, facebook posts can be used against you in court. They have to autheticate them, but that isn't as hard as people think.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If Law and Order has taught me anything it's that Facebook posts are enough probable cause to get said warrant.

That said all my legal experience consists of jacking off to Sam Waterston soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

"Hi, I'm not associated with you in any way, but I'm going to make money off of your product, by injecting advertisements in front of your users, and when my product breaks, people are probably going to yell at you."

There are actually lots of interesting legal questions around this software, because it's conceptually sitting between an alternative web browser (probably OK) and active scraping (probably not). But, "interesting legal questions" in a business context translates to "get a lawyer, work with them on the specifics of the case, and be prepared to pay them an enormous amount of money."

Or it could be "hey I want to make an app to access data on your site better, I will give you x percent of ad revenue and you can direct difficulties with the app towards me"

But I'm just assuming that the dude isn't a dick, unlike you. Do you really think if he did go tan to a lawyer, that the lawyer wouldn't also say "have you considered talking to them about it?"