Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

mabels big day posted:

This is awesome. Telling players to have their own Chansey get poisoned before going into the Link Battle so it can't be frozen is the most hilariously dickish thing I've ever heard of.

A primitive version of Toxic Orb Clefable :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The guide also tells you to use Horn Drill on Rhydon as an advantage over Golem, which makes OHKO moves being legal officially sanctioned and supported.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when were they not legal

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

when were they not legal

The bullies over at smogon always ban them......... :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

smogon. well, their heart's in the right place .......... Train On, i say

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

speaking of smogon look at this handsome devil

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Oh, my! It's Poison Kirby from Kirby: Planet Robobot!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Disargeria posted:

I thought it was weird how a lot of things were obviously hosed up back then but I felt like none of it was admitted in an official capacity aside from you know, actually fixing it later.

I saw this though:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/classic-link-battle-flashbacks/

And they admit that things were pretty broken and nonsensical back then.

This is great, I love the mention of Tauros as King poo poo of competitive battling, as well as the suggestion to bring a bunch of Pokemon that know Wrap/Bind/Fire Spin/Clamp so you can defeat your opponent without them being able to take a turn. I'm surprised they didn't specifically mention Dragonite being able to learn Agility and thus be the fastest Wrap user.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a reason to let a Pokemon use a luxury ball as a held item if the Pokemon wasn't caught in one? For some reason, and I'm still new at this game, but my level 85 Delphox is holding a luxury ball. Since I've been playing this save for only 70 hours off and on since two years ago, I can't remember why I did that or if it ever served a purpose.

Second question: do most folks stop using their starters at some point? As you can see from question one I've been using my evolved Fennekin starter forever and never saw a point to switch it out as naturally it was my strongest Pokemon.

Am I pokemanning wrong? How did you guys learn so much poo poo when the game teaches so little?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a reason to let a Pokemon use a luxury ball as a held item if the Pokemon wasn't caught in one? For some reason, and I'm still new at this game, but my level 85 Delphox is holding a luxury ball. Since I've been playing this save for only 70 hours off and on since two years ago, I can't remember why I did that or if it ever served a purpose.

Second question: do most folks stop using their starters at some point? As you can see from question one I've been using my evolved Fennekin starter forever and never saw a point to switch it out as naturally it was my strongest Pokemon.

Am I pokemanning wrong? How did you guys learn so much poo poo when the game teaches so little?

Pokeballs do absolutely nothing when held. Give it a berry or a type-boosting item.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No, holding a Poke Ball does nothing, you only get its effects if you catch a Pokemon with it.

And starters are perfectly well rounded team members that are great, basic elemental attackers, I always use my starter in my playthroughs, they're great. But yeah, the game does teach you the basics, but if you wanna get in depth with all the mechanics, well there's plenty of sites to find that info for yourself.

It also sounds like you just used your starter and nothing else, I find the game much more enjoyable when you have a team of six (or even with the new Exp. Share, a team of like 12 or something that you constantly rotate) since it also means you won't be horrendously overpowered.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Crosspeice posted:

No, holding a Poke Ball does nothing, you only get its effects if you catch a Pokemon with it.

And starters are perfectly well rounded team members that are great, basic elemental attackers, I always use my starter in my playthroughs, they're great. But yeah, the game does teach you the basics, but if you wanna get in depth with all the mechanics, well there's plenty of sites to find that info for yourself.

It also sounds like you just used your starter and nothing else, I find the game much more enjoyable when you have a team of six (or even with the new Exp. Share, a team of like 12 or something that you constantly rotate) since it also means you won't be horrendously overpowered.

I'm mixed on that. I'm all for a challenge but with all the random encounters it seems the game would get real tedious. I keep my Delphox as my "kill em quick" Pokemon and rotate the other 5 and level them up with exp share. Delphox is over 20 levels higher than his nearest poke-partner. This game is a rabbit-hole.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I usually box my starter as soon as I can in favor of something better, because most of them are garbage. Though the Water ones are usually decent HM slaves.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Did more battles today in the Kanto Classic and I did worse today. Exactly 50/50 split on wins/losses, including one dude who was clearly only in it to get his participation in. His highest level Pokemon was level 20 and none of them were fully evolved. :confused:

My last match of the day was the most frustrating. It was against a dude who was, first of all, better than me. I will admit this. He was better. His team was just loving annoying and the match took forever because of it.

Curselax, for one, which is always a barrel of fun. After I Hazed away its 5 or so Curse boosts, he never left it in for more than a turn the rest of the battle, and it spent the entire time asleep. I am also fairly certain it had nothing that would do poo poo to a Gengar.

Lapras with Rest and Sheer Cold. Why, yes, he got my Jolteon with a Sheer Cold. Because of loving course he did!

Slowbro with Natural Cure, and Rest, of course.

Clefable with Thunder Wave and Moonlight. Just annoying.

He switched constantly. And I mean constantly. Like he was just toying with me. He was definitely toying with me at the end, when I was down to just my Vaporeon. His Slowbro poisoned it, and then he just switched between the Pokemon he had left, and didn't attack. I forfeited. I wasn't going to give the jerk the satisfaction of watching my Vaporeon slowly die from Toxic. :colbert:

That battle left a sour taste in my mouth. What a jerk.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

There's two decent resources you can use to study up on various Pokemon stuff. http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml has a pretty cool Pokedex tool for each generation as well as various other info. The main news feed is pretty decent for keeping up with various events and announcements.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page is basically Wikipedia but it's all Pokemon all the time.

There's no real wrong way to Pokemon in the story line. The competitive stuff can get pretty intense, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

chaosapiant posted:

Starters are not only (usually) good in-game team members, but the games encourage you to become attached to them. Most never take them out of their party.

People here occasionally get on the "box your starter message" because while they are usually good, they aren't often amazing.

As for your pokeball, it only has an impact if used to catch something. On its own, it does nothing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Did more battles today in the Kanto Classic and I did worse today. Exactly 50/50 split on wins/losses, including one dude who was clearly only in it to get his participation in. His highest level Pokemon was level 20 and none of them were fully evolved. :confused:

My last match of the day was the most frustrating. It was against a dude who was, first of all, better than me. I will admit this. He was better. His team was just loving annoying and the match took forever because of it.

Curselax, for one, which is always a barrel of fun. After I Hazed away its 5 or so Curse boosts, he never left it in for more than a turn the rest of the battle, and it spent the entire time asleep. I am also fairly certain it had nothing that would do poo poo to a Gengar.

Lapras with Rest and Sheer Cold. Why, yes, he got my Jolteon with a Sheer Cold. Because of loving course he did!

He switched constantly. And I mean constantly. Like he was just toying with me. He was definitely toying with me at the end, when I was down to just my Vaporeon. His Slowbro poisoned it, and then he just switched between the Pokemon he had left, and didn't attack. I forfeited. I wasn't going to give the jerk the satisfaction of watching my Vaporeon slowly die from Toxic. :colbert:

Sounds like you got owned.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I'm mixed on that. I'm all for a challenge but with all the random encounters it seems the game would get real tedious. I keep my Delphox as my "kill em quick" Pokemon and rotate the other 5 and level them up with exp share. Delphox is over 20 levels higher than his nearest poke-partner. This game is a rabbit-hole.

It's less tedious when you're raising and levelling up a group of different Pokemon. That's part of the fun!

I've been sucking at the Kanto Classic with only a few wins. I forgot that the Gengar I threw in my battle box lacked Shadowball, and that's been biting me a lot.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

I turned off the EXP share.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Silver Falcon posted:

Lol

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hex Gengar is way cooler for wallbreaking. Nothing better than crushing a Gliscor with it. How's your Poison Heal now, jerk?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Bogart posted:

Hex Gengar is way cooler for wallbreaking. Nothing better than crushing a Gliscor with it. How's your Poison Heal now, jerk?

Whenever I battle online I like to bring Substitute/Disable Gengar. Especially for Kangaskhan.

You can't fake out me.

Oh, Sucker Punch? Substitute. Now I disable it.

Unless they made a silly decision and gave it Crunch, they literally can't hit me anymore. So I just wait until Disable wears off and Sludge Bomb until they die.

:allears: And he's not even my Mega.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

everything i learned, i learned from a man named earl in pokemon stadium 2

also nah starters own, if you aren't playing competitively then don't sweat it. your starter is designed to be at least slightly better than most everything else you'll find easily for a while

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Some people don't like being overleveled so easily, my friend. It's not that confusing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just wiped on the s.s. goddamn anne jfc

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Getting serious on a cartridge is only practical to even attempt once you've reached postgame, as there are important tools and useful resources that you can only access once you've beaten it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

i just wiped on the s.s. goddamn anne jfc

Convenient, if you have the Cut HM when you do so then you can return to the S.S Anne much later with Surf and move the truck!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CJ posted:

IT depends if you care about looking like a 3 year old with the 2DS.

How old would you say a person looks if they use their New3DSXL in public instead?

I never got this argument, I don't even like looking at my cell phone in public as I am probably there for a reason with a thing to do or I'd be home.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

extra stout posted:

How old would you say a person looks if they use their New3DSXL in public instead?

I never got this argument, I don't even like looking at my cell phone in public as I am probably there for a reason with a thing to do or I'd be home.

I think their point is that the 2DS was essentially designed as a handheld for toddlers. It's cheaper (so more parents can buy it), it lacks a hinge (so small children won't snap it off accidentally) and it lacks the 3D capability (because 3D isn't recommended for tiny, developing eyeballs).

I have a pokemon 3DS XL and it's great. I really enjoy the bigger screen. I use it in public all the time because I take public transit everywhere. I use it while waiting on the train platform and while on the train itself. The time it takes me to get to school in the morning is just enough time it takes to complete a 12 floor dungeon in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
2DS also good for poor folks like me who additionally don't care about 3D.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

extra stout posted:

A lot of people play their 3DS on the subway/bus. I see people playing on my commute relatively frequently.

Of course, if you have a car, then you lose out on that A+ game playing/book reading time

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

majormonotone posted:

A lot of people play their 3DS on the subway/bus. I see people playing on my commute relatively frequently.

Of course, if you have a car, then you lose out on that A+ game playing/book reading time

If you're daring and stuck in traffic you don't lose out on anything.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In non-related news, I just started a new OR run. Would any six goons be kind enough to trade me a mystery egg so I can play Pokepotluck? :shobon:

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Bogart posted:

In non-related news, I just started a new OR run. Would any six goons be kind enough to trade me a mystery egg so I can play Pokepotluck? :shobon:

I've got a nice egg I can spare for you. :)
FC 2878-9758-7818

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Bogart posted:

I have a good egg on hand specifically for such on occasion!

FC is 1977-0156-0209, IGN is Tabitha

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Bogart posted:

what's your fc?

0490 8248 4605

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
RIGHT! Friend codes. Forgot. Adding you three now, and mine is 1418-6734-2472.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Get back to me when someone sweeps you with sheer cold. 4 hits in a row.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Why do both Nidorans become magically infertile the moment they evolve. Why gamefreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LEGO Genetics posted:

Why do both Nidorans become magically infertile the moment they evolve. Why gamefreak

Only Nidorina and Nidoqueen are infertile.

It supposedly started as a bug? But they keep putting it in every generation so who knows what the gently caress.

• Locked thread