Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Everyone forgets the lesbian shop owner in the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

hollylolly posted:

But Clarke is still alive? I guess she's "just" a bisexual though.

This is a weird conversation.

bisexual representation is cool and good but Clarke has banged dudes and will probably bang dudes(Bellamy) in the future. it's not really the same thing.

lesbian shopowner was cool but I doubt she's coming back anytime soon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everyone forgets the lesbian shop owner in the first episode.

Yeah killing her would have been gay burying.

Are there instances of lgbt character death that people could agree was not problematic? Because if Lexa's death ain't it, how else can you do it without saying, ok nothing bad can happen to gay characters?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

zoux posted:

Are there instances of lgbt character death that people could agree was not problematic? Because if Lexa's death ain't it, how else can you do it without saying, ok nothing bad can happen to gay characters?

not killing the characters in the same super mundane woops look like they got caught in the crossfire and are dead now what a shock manner would be a start

having enough representation where the gay characters ended up happy and not dead so that when they were killed it had impact beyond oh well there goes another fictional gay would be good

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

zoux posted:

Lexa's death isn't problematic if you're only considering the context of the show and nothing else(though the fact it happened 1 scene after sex is kinda gross). It becomes problematic in the context of lesbians getting killed off all the time.

Like, as far as deaths go, this one was foreshadowed and justified and wasn't fridging at all. It becomes a problem once you take a wider look at lesbian characters being buried all over the drat place across in other shows and movies.

There's nothing the 100 could have done better outside of not killing Lexa off 1 scene after sex. It is, however, undeniably disappointing considering the fact that the vast majority of major lesbian characters will end up being killed off one way or another, justified or not.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

It was a lame shock death then and it's a lame shock death now. It's just bad writing.

I saw Lexa's death coming from a mile away but really? that was the best send off they could think of? I don't think for a second that if she would have had a cool, worthy death that people would be as pissed. It's the smug GOTCHA!! they pulled right after having her bang the main character. JRoth tweeted BOOM WHO SAW THAT COMING when it happened and it's like literally everyone, dude.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha I can't believe all the shippers getting freaked out and wanting to quit the show after one of the best drat episodes.

Lexa's actress killed it. She's shown so much more range and personality than she did last season. The exposition was great, as was the NanoCommander explanation as to why they put very young people in charge. That always irked me, and it seemed to be a "CW Youth Thing" but it makes sense in universe.

My only complaint is that the people who Becka hooked up with on Earth were literally normal modern people like us a few months/years before (however long it was between the bombs dropping and her dropping) so the idea that they'd just call her Commander and name their city V'GER POL IS is kinda silly because they weren't dumb primitives.

Next week: Kane gets his groove back! :dance:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, are people really upset over the Polis/Polaris naming?

I bet you assholes hate Star Trek the Motion Picture as well.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Iron Rose posted:

Lexa's death isn't problematic if you're only considering the context of the show and nothing else(though the fact it happened 1 scene after sex is kinda gross). It becomes problematic in the context of lesbians getting killed off all the time.

Like, as far as deaths go, this one was foreshadowed and justified and wasn't fridging at all. It becomes a problem once you take a wider look at lesbian characters being buried all over the drat place across in other shows and movies.

There's nothing the 100 could have done better outside of not killing Lexa off 1 scene after sex. It is, however, undeniably disappointing considering the fact that the vast majority of major lesbian characters will end up being killed off one way or another, justified or not.
:agreed:

Although I do have to wonder if and when LGTBQ+ characters simply being killed off is normalized. Like as in, "oh, they killed off [this character], so-and-so was [nuanced portrayal, well-realized character], death was foreshadowed when you think about it, etc. and being a LGBTQ+ character is merely just a footnote. I get the impression the trend exists moreso in genre fiction because it's just simply easier to manufacture literal conflict as a means to put characters in danger, is that true?

I know I'm certainly not qualified to make that demarcation. And I do fear it will be a while before LGBTQ+ characters are normalized in fiction. Like, I'm literally wondering when it stops being about the idea that writers are maliciously making those characters suffer for not being straight and those characters are suffering by the simple virtue that "bad things happen on good tv".

I do wish I had the historical context some of you are speaking to. It's not that I don't go out of my way to look for it but I think it still is just rare even then. I watched like 70 shows to completion that aired in the last tv season, I think there was only like one or two f/f couples that were subject to the whims of drama but never ever placed in immediate danger and weren't just background lesbians.

Troposphere posted:

It was a lame shock death then and it's a lame shock death now. It's just bad writing.

I saw Lexa's death coming from a mile away but really? that was the best send off they could think of? I don't think for a second that if she would have had a cool, worthy death that people would be as pissed. It's the smug GOTCHA!! they pulled right after having her bang the main character. JRoth tweeted BOOM WHO SAW THAT COMING when it happened and it's like literally everyone, dude.
Thanks for that. I can see why because of the near exactness of those scenes.

Although I still don't understand the context for that scene in Buffy. Is that just some rando firing into the windows or something else? Cause that would make even less sense than here so I can see why watching that would be infuriating.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Wait, are people really upset over the Polis/Polaris naming?

I bet you assholes hate Star Trek the Motion Picture as well.

Not really, just thought it was a goofy bait and switch

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Sober posted:

Although I do have to wonder if and when LGTBQ+ characters simply being killed off is normalized. Like as in, "oh, they killed off [this character], so-and-so was [nuanced portrayal, well-realized character], death was foreshadowed when you think about it, etc. and being a LGBTQ+ character is merely just a footnote. I get the impression the trend exists moreso in genre fiction because it's just simply easier to manufacture literal conflict as a means to put characters in danger, is that true?

I know I'm certainly not qualified to make that demarcation. And I do fear it will be a while before LGBTQ+ characters are normalized in fiction. Like, I'm literally wondering when it stops being about the idea that writers are maliciously making those characters suffer for not being straight and those characters are suffering by the simple virtue that "bad things happen on good tv".

I do wish I had the historical context some of you are speaking to. It's not that I don't go out of my way to look for it but I think it still is just rare even then. I watched like 70 shows to completion that aired in the last tv season, I think there was only like one or two f/f couples that were subject to the whims of drama but never ever placed in immediate danger and weren't just background lesbians.

Thanks for that. I can see why because of the near exactness of those scenes.

Although I still don't understand the context for that scene in Buffy. Is that just some rando firing into the windows or something else? Cause that would make even less sense than here so I can see why watching that would be infuriating.

it's not a rando it's the villain who was trying to kill willow(redhead) by shooting at her while he ran away and hit her girlfriend instead iirc. so quite literally the same scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not really, just thought it was a goofy bait and switch

It's not a bait and switch though. They take the names of their villages from broken names, there was never anything connecting it to Annapolis.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
TonDC = Washington DC

Polis = Annapolis

:confused:

I'm not sure if it was intentional or hamfisted if it was, but it was a perfectly reasonable guess to make

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I suppose bait and switch implies that Annapolis would be tantalizing in some way. Once again, I'm not complaining or anything just funny that there were two very obvious explanations to the name and it was something completely unexpected.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monicro posted:

TonDC = Washington DC

Polis = Annapolis

I'm not sure if it was intentional or hamfisted if it was, but it was a perfectly reasonable guess to make

We never saw a sign for Annapolis. Not once.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It seems likely to me that the writers were originally thinking of Annapolis, then changed their minds later, but it doesn't matter.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't believe this dude is so up in arms about a city name and people who are upset about a character dying are considered too invested

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm not very invested in this and I think most people in this aren't freaking out. Just you know, discussing the show and what they like and dislike.

I'm talking about the people on twitter who are about to commit mass suicide because :qq: Lexa!
People in this thread are /mostly/ reasonable about this show.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Iron Rose posted:

Have you noticed how in most shows, there's a vast majority of white heterosexual male getting killed off?
Where's the uproar about that, I ask you!

Just kidding. I don't care either ways. I think this is getting blown out of proportion. Lexa was kinda cool and rocked this episode. I for one will miss her and it has nothing to do with her sexual preference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I can't believe this dude is so up in arms about a city name and people who are upset about a character dying are considered too invested

I AM SO INVESTED.

Mostly I'm already tired of the bitching about Lexa's death so I'm complaining about other poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dalael posted:

Have you noticed how in most shows, there's a vast majority of white heterosexual male getting killed off?
Where's the uproar about that, I ask you!

:laffo: is this even a real post

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

:laffo: is this even a real post

No. Its a shitpost meant to make fun of a non issue in a show that, if you really think about it, doesn't make much sense.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

How do we know Lexa wasn't bisexual as well, hmm? Makes you think.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't even care that much about the POL IS thing, it's more that once again we see how the 97 year timeline is way too short for the level of cultural de-evolution we see on the part of The Grounders.

I think they should do more flashbacks though, maybe they can explain it better. Like do an episode once a season where we see the founding of Ark Society, Grounder Society, and whatever the gently caress was going on in Mt Wx. Take it forward a few decades each time, til we get to where we were in Episode 1.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Astroman posted:

I don't even care that much about the POL IS thing, it's more that once again we see how the 97 year timeline is way too short for the level of cultural de-evolution we see on the part of The Grounders.

I think they should do more flashbacks though, maybe they can explain it better. Like do an episode once a season where we see the founding of Ark Society, Grounder Society, and whatever the gently caress was going on in Mt Wx. Take it forward a few decades each time, til we get to where we were in Episode 1.

97 years is 3 or 4 generations at most if you factor people dying younger due to lack of proper healthcare/food/whatever. I doubt we could forget that much of our history in such a short span of time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

We never saw a sign for Annapolis. Not once.

It's also Baltimore as proven already.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dalael posted:

97 years is 3 or 4 generations at most if you factor people dying younger due to lack of proper healthcare/food/whatever. I doubt we could forget that much of our history in such a short span of time.

With no books, schooling, or people who learned how to read it can happen a lot faster than that. The only glaring thing is the new language that is so far different from english.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ded posted:

With no books, schooling, or people who learned how to read it can happen a lot faster than that. The only glaring thing is the new language that is so far different from english.

I don't know. I'm not so sure. Oral history would remain. They might not be able to know every little details, but grounders seem to know little to nothing about the world that preceded them. We're not talking "thousands of years in the future in Shannara". We're talking about 1 century.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

TonDC = Washington DC

Polis = Annapolis

yeah it's a perfectly reasonable guess if you're totally ignorant about geography and don't know that Annapolis is on the coast

hint: polis isn't

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Which side of the famous Maryland desert is Annapolis on?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never said it wasn't a reasonable guess, I said it wasn't a loving bait and switch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haven't we been through the geography enough?

Polis = Baltimore

Desert = New York area.

Skynet Mansion = Connecticut

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Longtime watcher of this show, first time posting in this thread. Like a lot of folks, I couldn't resist commenting on recent events, so bear with me.

I think Lexa's death can be justified for both professional reasons and also within the creative scope of the show itself. However, I also think it's still kinda bullshit because it was lame as hell (seriously, all it was missing was Yakkity Sax before she walked into the room) and Clarke has already lost a lover, so it's not exactly uncovering new territory. More to the point, the fact that it happened a) immediately after a love scene and b) was a beat-for-beat remake of Tara's death is gonna raise eyebrows and rightfully so. It may not have been their intent to bury a gay (and, in fact, I believe it wasn't), but the context of the event is just far too familiar to ignore. Throw in the fact that the showrunner(s) was allegedly aware of negative lesbian tropes while accepting praise for positive representation and I can fully understand why that part of the audience is outraged. Rightly or wrongly, they trusted someone and now they feel played.

That being said, no doubt there are insane shippers and other weirdos taking this to extremes. But I think there's some valid criticism to be had there as well. I don't think anyone reasonable is saying minority characters should be granted invincibility, but their deaths also don't occur in a vacuum and you gotta be careful with how you handle that poo poo. Fans who cherished Lexa (and her relationship with Clarke) can't just change the channel and find an equivalent dynamic elsewhere; this kind of thing is unfortunately still special and rare on mainstream TV. In most cases, it's honestly more "edgy" and "shocking" to keep a queer character alive.

So yeah, I'm kind of split on the whole thing. I can understand why the writers felt it necessary to kill Lexa off -- both for external factors and also plot reasons, because let's face it, it was kind of a Romeo and Juliet scenario. But I also have compassion for the viewers who are mourning this development. It's a very nuanced event and anyone just going "lol everyone dies, so what??" is missing the point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, that's from something remotely serious and not like scary movie?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
For whatever it's worth I thought it was a fine death. Maybe this is a stretch but it was a tragic result of a bunch of things crashing together at once, which has been something of a theme this season.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 6, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Xoidanor posted:

Wait, that's from something remotely serious and not like scary movie?

It depends.... do you consider Buffy the vampire Slayer a serious show?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dalael posted:

It depends.... do you consider Buffy the vampire Slayer a serious show?

I did write remotely. :v:

EDIT: It seriously looks like a 5SF skit.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 6, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lexa's death opens up potential for conflict, both at the Polis court and with Arkadia. Conflict is interesting. May a billion pretend lesbians be sacrificed on that altar.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Edit: Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What were the first people that met Becca called? Also Becka, really? Who he hell spells it like that? Rebecca. Becca. QED.

I think the back stuff she was injecting herself with was just some kind of binding agent for the chip to interface with her spine.

• Locked thread