Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I've been playing a 2H Soldier/Occultist recently, focusing on Chaos and Phys damage and kind of struggling on Elite. I took a tip from this thread and switched out the riftstone on my weapon for a severed claw and re-geared toward internal trauma. Now I can brutal slam a hero monster and walk away as it just melts. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Royal Scrub posted:

I think Veteran just ups monster density and chance of Heroes/Bosses. If stuff is actively respawning on top of you then that's a boss fight, not some feature of Veteran. That area you were in is an optional side area, which will scale to your level +7 or so like you noticed (until you out-level the entire difficulty). Veteran is definitely worth it though, having never tried Normal :p

Ok, thanks. as a new player with only the gear that this guy has found for drops, I managed to survive 3 waves of bosses before dying, but I'm honestly not sure how that area can be beat with my current melee build, as every it gets ridiculous pretty quick. Is that side area designed for people who are on a 2nd (9th) character rolling full epics/legendaries, or does my build just not stack up for it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Locator posted:

Ok, thanks. as a new player with only the gear that this guy has found for drops, I managed to survive 3 waves of bosses before dying, but I'm honestly not sure how that area can be beat with my current melee build, as every it gets ridiculous pretty quick. Is that side area designed for people who are on a 2nd (9th) character rolling full epics/legendaries, or does my build just not stack up for it?

The area you're describing is the steps of torment. It scales with your level (in the sense that bosses will always be x levels above you), but it's always designed to be hard - it's meant to be a challenge arena that you run over and over again to see how far you can get before you die, and grind powerful loot. There are plenty of smaller dungeons like that scattered around the place too - but those usually have a really good chest at the end that you can only loot once per character. The steps are designed to be done over and over.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

The Locator posted:

You should be able to complete it with just yellow and green gear, although it should be a challenge. Last boss does crazy frost damage, so bring a hoarfrost potion for resistance. A lifestealer potion may also be helpful on certain fights in there.

If you're soloing it, you'll want a good armor value (and/or phys resist), piercing resist, vitality and frost resistance. I may be missing another resist that's helpful, but those are the standouts.

What's your build?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

The area you're describing is the steps of torment. It scales with your level (in the sense that bosses will always be x levels above you), but it's always designed to be hard - it's meant to be a challenge arena that you run over and over again to see how far you can get before you die, and grind powerful loot. There are plenty of smaller dungeons like that scattered around the place too - but those usually have a really good chest at the end that you can only loot once per character. The steps are designed to be done over and over.

This too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

You should be able to complete it with just yellow and green gear, although it should be a challenge. Last boss does crazy frost damage, so bring a hoarfrost potion for resistance. A lifestealer potion may also be helpful on certain fights in there.

If you're soloing it, you'll want a good armor value (and/or phys resist), piercing resist, vitality and frost resistance. I may be missing another resist that's helpful, but those are the standouts.

What's your build?

Pretty sure my armor is probably crap.

Current build (take out 4 points in Storm Surge for when I did this at level 29) - http://grimcalc.com/build/etcxIu

I'm following this guide - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26367

I'm following that guide because I'm hopelessly bad at figuring out builds, and this one looked like fun. The problem I'm having I think, is that I'm at the point where I should be transitioning to spellcaster from melee (pretty much a complete respec into , and I haven't found poo poo for a main-hand that works properly for the build. The build is really a lot of fun, and was honestly completely overpowering in Normal difficulty. Even in Veteran it's only the multiple bosses that give me difficulty, and huge ranged spike damage as I trot slowly over towards them, which is mitigated by Mirror of Ereoctes when I don't forget to use it.

Because I'm still melee, I have to be right in the middle of the pile of god knows how many bosses (with all the effects, I honestly have no idea!) in that room, and they beat me down pretty quick. MoE, health potions, and running away as much as possible for MoE cooldowns got me through 3 waves, which is honestly a lot further than I thought I'd get when the first bunch spawned!

How many waves are there total in that thing? I kept thinking "woo! I won" when I had it down to 1 or two bosses on each wave prior.. . then *poof*.. more bosses!

I've been pretty lucky on some great green and blue 2h weapon drops (starting right out of the gate of town at level 3 with a nice 2h sword), and I just equipped a brand new shiny blue 2h axe that increased my Primal Strike damage on the character sheet by a solid 35%, so I might give it another try. Just wish there was a portal somewhere remotely near the entrance.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The Chamber of Souls has three waves. Most rooms in the Steps (and the other dungeon in Act 4) are normal, only a couple lock you in and have you fight waves.

As everyone said, you should be fine with regular gear. If you really can't beat the dungeon now, do something else and come back in 5-10 levels.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

That's funny, the group I am playing ran through that place without realizing it was supposed to be a challenge. It didn't seem any harder than the normal content? I thought maybe I was misunderstanding and we just went through the first level for the main quest line, but I remember killing Igorr the Eternal so...?

[Edit: Now I'm questioning myself. Will definitely have to run back that way next time we play.]

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Lord Bude posted:

Quick question on a related note, are one-shot chests once per character, or once per character per difficulty?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a decent 2H melee Shaman-based build (I'm assuming it'd be Warder but who knows) floating around out there? I'm getting sort of tired of cross-classing everything with Nightblade and want to bash things over the head really hard for a while.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mister Adequate posted:

Quick question on a related note, are one-shot chests once per character, or once per character per difficulty?

No idea, I've only been playing for a few days.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The Rokstar posted:

Is there a decent 2H melee Shaman-based build (I'm assuming it'd be Warder but who knows) floating around out there? I'm getting sort of tired of cross-classing everything with Nightblade and want to bash things over the head really hard for a while.

Current status of my Lightning-based 2H Warder (Ultimate, end of Act 2) :

Crushing it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

seravid posted:

Current status of my Lightning-based 2H Warder (Ultimate, end of Act 2) :

Crushing it.

I'm sort of looking at making a Warder, do you have a build you could link? Played the soldier up to level 11 just as a quick start, but I have no idea how to make it much different than my Druid 2h lightning guy to be honest.

I'd also be curious to see any sort of current builds for a 1h weapon / shield warder. Seems like it would be very tough to kill, but all the cool shaman attacks require a 2h weapon, so not sure whether that's even a good choice for 1h/shield dude.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Build at lvl 79 (including bonuses) : http://grimcalc.com/build/ExsJ6o
Active skills: Blitz, Totem, War Cry, Wind Devil, Sacred Strike (from Blessed Steel). This probably plays similar to your druid.

I've actually started a sword and shield guy who has (little to) no fancy magical powers and I'm also unsure where to go for the second mastery. Shaman seems like a decent fit, with good weapon procs and boosts to physical damage.
Demo should work, too.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
So I'm with Death's Vigil on my Witch Hunter, but I forgot about this augment that only Kymon offers. It has a 10% chance to reduce enemy damage by 20% for 5sec.

I attack fast so I feel like this effect would work quite well. I'm on ultimate and this is my last chance to switch to Kymon. I should do it right? I haven't seen anything this useful on the Vigil vendor but I may have missed something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So I know it for future reference, what's the choice and which is the one that gimps you?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was exploring areas I'd already passed and I came across a long canyon filled with green damaging goo. After several deaths I got to the end of the canyon and as I died I saw a door - except it was described as "sealed/Locked by the ***". I can't remember who sealed it but is this a bonus dungeon or a plot door? I mean do I need to find a key to enter or can I risk another half-dozen deaths to get to and through the door?

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
if its the one in deadmans gulch its a higher reputation black legion quest.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

karrethuun posted:

if its the one in deadmans gulch its a higher reputation black legion quest.

that's the one. Good to know I don't need to throw more attempts at that one.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Look, with all these people dying there, i think Dahbadu needs to edit the op about that place and how to get past it without dying.

There is a small path to the side about half way through, Run toward there while popping a heath potion at about 40% health. Then wait until you health pot is off cooldown then run to the gate while popping your pot at 40% again. If you make it to the gate without dying and it's locked, just spam portal until you get one off the corruption to get out.

To get it unlocked, take the honored reputation black legion quest in act four to open it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh I found the safe spot. It's just that I died at the gate. Also I'm only on act 3 so ...

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

I love this game but I wish it had a guild/chat system so goons could poo poo-talk each other and discuss the latest memes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Discord -> Second monitor

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

victrix posted:

Discord -> Second monitor

:agreed: :getin:

For reals. If you haven't popped into Discord, try it. You don't have to voice chat with anyone if you don't want to.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Per character per difficulty.

So let's say you have a character named Joe Bob. Joe Bob could get the Warden's one-shot chest 3 times total -- once on Normal/Veteran, once on Elite, once on Ultimate.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Updated the OP regarding:

quote:

Outcast and Black Legion factions
http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aetherial_Witch
Outcast (OC) and Black Legion (BL) both sell good stuff. On each playthrough you can choose to kill the OC witch to gain easy BL reputation, which is one of the hardest factions to rank up. If you kill the witch, you won't have access to the OC vendor and you won't accumulate positive OC faction by slaying certain monsters. The OC questline offers good rewards but also slightly lowers your BL reputation. What I suggest (others have different opinions, so feel free to ask in the thread):
- Normal/Veteran: If you want to kill the witch (for an achievement or BL reputation gain), now's probably the best time. If you keep the witch alive, you'll get the OC questline and start accumulating OC reputation by killing monsters.
- Elite: I would keep her alive. If you kept her alive on Normal/Veteran and kill her on Elite (or Ultimate, for that matter), it'll reset any reputation gain you've made -- so don't do that.
- Ultimate: Keep her alive and do the OC questline first, so you get your BL reputation penalties out of the way. Then do BL stuff to gain your reputation back, including running some bounties and killing the final boss. You'll end the game with max rep for both OC and BL and you'll have access to both vendors on Ultimate difficulty.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Erz posted:

So I'm with Death's Vigil on my Witch Hunter, but I forgot about this augment that only Kymon offers. It has a 10% chance to reduce enemy damage by 20% for 5sec.

I attack fast so I feel like this effect would work quite well. I'm on ultimate and this is my last chance to switch to Kymon. I should do it right? I haven't seen anything this useful on the Vigil vendor but I may have missed something.

That proc could be pretty powerful, but that leads me to a question...

I couldn't find an answer with a quick google search, so if someone in this thread knows the answer to the below question (The Mash?), feel free to speak up:

We know that effects with wording such as "n% reduced resistance" (which is different from "-n% resistance", without the word reduced in it) don't stack. In such cases, the game will simply apply the affect with the greatest resistance reduction against the monster. Does it also work this way for reduced enemy damage?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

ssmagus posted:

Look, with all these people dying there, i think Dahbadu needs to edit the op about that place and how to get past it without dying.

There is a small path to the side about half way through, Run toward there while popping a heath potion at about 40% health. Then wait until you health pot is off cooldown then run to the gate while popping your pot at 40% again. If you make it to the gate without dying and it's locked, just spam portal until you get one off the corruption to get out.

To get it unlocked, take the honored reputation black legion quest in act four to open it.

Done:

quote:

In Deadman's Gultch, there's this long canyon filled with green aether poo poo that kills me. At the end of the canyon is a locked gate. What's the deal?
There is a small branching path to the north about half way through the green poo poo. Run toward there, and drink a heath potion at about 40% health. Wait in the safe spot for your potion to come off cooldown. Then run the rest of the way through the green poo poo, and drink your potion at about 40% health again. To unlock the gate, you need to achieve Honored reputation with Black Legion, which will unlock a quest in Act 4 for you to take.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dahbadu posted:

Per character per difficulty.

So let's say you have a character named Joe Bob. Joe Bob could get the Warden's one-shot chest 3 times total -- once on Normal/Veteran, once on Elite, once on Ultimate.

That's what I figured, thanks :)

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

So I know it for future reference, what's the choice and which is the one that gimps you?

I don't think Kymon's/Death Vigil decision matters too much. The Outcast/Black Legion decision can potentially gimp you:

Dahbadu posted:

Updated the OP regarding:
Outcast and Black Legion factions
http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aetherial_Witch
Outcast (OC) and Black Legion (BL) both sell good stuff. On each playthrough you can choose to kill the OC witch to gain easy BL reputation, which is one of the hardest factions to rank up. If you kill the witch, you won't have access to the OC vendor and you won't accumulate positive OC faction by slaying certain monsters. The OC questline offers good rewards but also slightly lowers your BL reputation. What I suggest (others have different opinions, so feel free to ask in the thread):
- Normal/Veteran: If you want to kill the witch (for an achievement or BL reputation gain), now's probably the best time. If you keep the witch alive, you'll get the OC questline and start accumulating OC reputation by killing monsters.
- Elite: I would keep her alive. If you kept her alive on Normal/Veteran and kill her on Elite (or Ultimate, for that matter), it'll reset any reputation gain you've made -- so don't do that.
- Ultimate: Keep her alive and do the OC questline first, so you get your BL reputation penalties out of the way. Then do BL stuff to gain your reputation back, including running some bounties and killing the final boss. You'll end the game with max rep for both OC and BL and you'll have access to both vendors on Ultimate difficulty.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure my armor is probably crap.

Current build (take out 4 points in Storm Surge for when I did this at level 29) - http://grimcalc.com/build/etcxIu

I'm following this guide - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26367

I'm following that guide because I'm hopelessly bad at figuring out builds, and this one looked like fun. The problem I'm having I think, is that I'm at the point where I should be transitioning to spellcaster from melee (pretty much a complete respec into , and I haven't found poo poo for a main-hand that works properly for the build. The build is really a lot of fun, and was honestly completely overpowering in Normal difficulty. Even in Veteran it's only the multiple bosses that give me difficulty, and huge ranged spike damage as I trot slowly over towards them, which is mitigated by Mirror of Ereoctes when I don't forget to use it.

Because I'm still melee, I have to be right in the middle of the pile of god knows how many bosses (with all the effects, I honestly have no idea!) in that room, and they beat me down pretty quick. MoE, health potions, and running away as much as possible for MoE cooldowns got me through 3 waves, which is honestly a lot further than I thought I'd get when the first bunch spawned!

How many waves are there total in that thing? I kept thinking "woo! I won" when I had it down to 1 or two bosses on each wave prior.. . then *poof*.. more bosses!

I've been pretty lucky on some great green and blue 2h weapon drops (starting right out of the gate of town at level 3 with a nice 2h sword), and I just equipped a brand new shiny blue 2h axe that increased my Primal Strike damage on the character sheet by a solid 35%, so I might give it another try. Just wish there was a portal somewhere remotely near the entrance.

Try something like this (redid your devotions a bit plus skill points): http://grimcalc.com/build/Qf5c1s

Remember not to overlook armor. It's a defensive stat that can be quite powerful, especially on Veteran difficulty.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are Thermite Mines worth using? I'm playing a Demo/Arcanist and I'm basically just fire striking everything with 1 point in canister bomb and then 3 in the stun portion of it.

I am however, running the Oathbreaker Set (if you can call a 2 item set a true set) and it gives like +5 to the Hellfire portion of Thermite Mines so I feel like I should maybe give a go once I hit 50 on the stat bar.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

MrBling posted:

Are Thermite Mines worth using? I'm playing a Demo/Arcanist and I'm basically just fire striking everything with 1 point in canister bomb and then 3 in the stun portion of it.

I am however, running the Oathbreaker Set (if you can call a 2 item set a true set) and it gives like +5 to the Hellfire portion of Thermite Mines so I feel like I should maybe give a go once I hit 50 on the stat bar.

Thermite Mines kind of seem like they suck at first because they just shoot a jet of flame straight up in the air, but then you realize they do a shitload of damage.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game is surprisingly a lot of fun

I really hated the early betas

Oh my god do I love the devotion system though

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

Try something like this (redid your devotions a bit plus skill points): http://grimcalc.com/build/Qf5c1s

Remember not to overlook armor. It's a defensive stat that can be quite powerful, especially on Veteran difficulty.

Thanks. At this point I've gotten to level 39, and respected with Rovers and Kymon so I made the switch to the 'caster' build - http://grimcalc.com/build/PFjy97

I have upgraded my 'armor' a lot.

The caster build currently uses lightning nova as the left click, and it kills stuff really fast, but drat I eat through my energy quick. It takes more 'hits' to kill stuff, but the hits come 3x as fast at a guess, maybe even faster. On long boss fights I'm running around a lot trying not to die while waiting for my energy potion timer. Need to focus a lot on energy regen obviously, as it's pretty low at the moment.

The respec thing gave me some trouble, because of devotion skills tied to the skills I was trying to spec out of, and because I'm dumb (well, and I didn't know how it worked) I ended up spending a lot more than I should have for the respec as I did not realize that every time I exited and entered (and saved a change) my costs were going up. So now any future respec will cost me about 5x more than it should. Doh.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Afaik, its actually the number of points respecced that makes the cost go up, not the number of times you open and close the screen.

I also just got two piece Perdition on my Elementalist, and suddenly have nearly 1500 acid retaliation (thanks to an already present 196% retaliation boost)...how viable is it to try keep pushing that as an offensive option? I gather it doeant work on spells, but it should work on ranged characters? My Ulzuin's Flame seems to proc all the time at range, and stacking retaliation bonuses seems like it would be very efficient.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Maggot Soup posted:

I don't think Kymon's/Death Vigil decision matters too much. The Outcast/Black Legion decision can potentially gimp you:

Cool, I thought it was a binary thing. Thanks!

The Locator posted:

The caster build currently uses lightning nova as the left click, and it kills stuff really fast, but drat I eat through my energy quick.

Brah pump Elemental Exchange and Modrogen's Pact, that's your MP battery skills right there. Maybe you don't have the points to dump into them at the moment, but definitely do it when you get the chance.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 6, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gammon posted:

Afaik, its actually the number of points respecced that makes the cost go up, not the number of times you open and close the screen.

Ok, I thought it was changing from me re-entering the screen, but I wasn't watching the cost closely as I did each thing, just noticed the final time I opened it that it was 4x as much as the 1st time.

The White Dragon posted:

Brah pump Elemental Exchange and Modrogen's Pact, that's your MP battery skills right there. Maybe you don't have the points to dump into them at the moment, but definitely do it when you get the chance.

Being dumb at making builds, I didn't really want to stray far from the build post I'm following, but if it becomes a real problem I'll certainly have to do that. Thanks for the information.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Which class or class combo in this game is best for causing absurd amounts of profound magical graphic effects all over the screen constantly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kersch posted:

Which class or class combo in this game is best for causing absurd amounts of profound magical graphic effects all over the screen constantly?

Probably Sorceror (Arcanist/Demolitionist). Between Canister Bomb, Grenado, Flash Freeze, Stun Jacks, Sky Shard, and Devastation you've got plenty of options for blanketing the screen with fire, ice, and lightning.