Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

TheKennedys posted:

My high school French is a bit rusty, but is that seriously head cheese on a piece of bread with mustard bits? And that's a thing someone actually thought was a good idea to serve at a relatively-high-end hotel restaurant? :catstare:

roughtly "cheese on toast with mustard seeds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

My high school French is a bit rusty, but is that seriously head cheese on a piece of bread with mustard bits? And that's a thing someone actually thought was a good idea to serve at a relatively-high-end hotel restaurant? :catstare:

Correct.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
And the worst part was where I made head cheese for fun, and that rear end in a top hat used it for amuse on my days off, so now I have no head cheese. And that talent-less bastard still has a job because according to HR "he's trying."

e: the head cheese is mine, the pickled mustard seed is mine. poo poo, that's probably some random bread I made too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

And the worst part was where I made head cheese for fun, and that rear end in a top hat used it for amuse on my days off, so now I have no head cheese. And that talent-less bastard still has a job because according to HR "he's trying."

e: the head cheese is mine, the pickled mustard seed is mine. poo poo, that's probably some random bread I made too.

Hey, HR is right, he is trying.

To annoy the poo poo out of you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hey, HR is right, he is trying.

To annoy the poo poo out of you.

:smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BTW that plate is hilarious to me because my dad used to make head cheese and mustard open face sandwiches with some swiss on top, broiled. The idea of that being served in some high class restaurant is hilarious to me.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Opened up the restaurant to prep today to find that our meat cooler's compressor wasn't running. R.I.P un-prepped proteins. It would have much much worse if I hadn't loaded up the prep list yesterday to get a head start on the weekend and gotten stuff into the coolers by and/or on the line. Still we lost were lip-ons, flank steaks, ground sirloin, and pork butts and pork hind shanks. Right before the weekend, with special tasting menu/wine pairing event on Monday. We were able to replace all but the hind shanks, but it sure wasn't free. The only thing halfway to a saving grace is that if we sell out on prime rib tonight (we only do prime on Fridays) we break even on the accident, which usually happens when we have live jazz like we do tonight.

Also, I found out the reason our old daytime dishwasher hasn't been in is because he's in a padded room after trying to kill himself ODing at the grave of his ex-girlfriend who killed herself ODing. Hooray for the midwest!

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

An open letter to the Houston rodeo. What the hell man, gently caress you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

Uh...what?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Also, I found out the reason our old daytime dishwasher hasn't been in is because he's in a padded room after trying to kill himself ODing at the grave of his ex-girlfriend who killed herself ODing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibiNy4d4gc

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Secret Spoon posted:

Word.

We have a hotel full of "cowboys" that can afford $455 a night rooms, clog up my tables talking too loud about bullshit, ordering nothing but cheap beer. All. Goddamn. Month. loving hate that bullshit rodeo.

Edit: "Cowboy Up!" - a thing my chef said in response to my bitching. I am going to drink a lot today.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 5, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BTW that plate is hilarious to me because my dad used to make head cheese and mustard open face sandwiches with some swiss on top, broiled. The idea of that being served in some high class restaurant is hilarious to me.

Its hilarious to me too.

Until I remember that I work there, and that guy represents me and the chef when we aren't there.

:smithicide:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If that was plated better and had some kind of herb salad or something fresh on top it wouldn't be a terrible amuse. As it is it sounds heavy and looks like doo doo.

I've worked in a few places w mandatory amuse bouche nightly, it's sometimes a fun challenge to try and fix whatever goofy poo poo your garde person thought would be a cool amuse

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pile of brown posted:

If that was plated better and had some kind of herb salad or something fresh on top it wouldn't be a terrible amuse. As it is it sounds heavy and looks like doo doo.

Like if he'd put forth any effort whatsoever, and hadn't just grabbed poo poo intended for cooks' snacks?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
In the category of things that make me lose all hope for this country:

"What's the difference between the garden and caesar salad?"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Vorenus posted:

In the category of things that make me lose all hope for this country:

"What's the difference between the garden and caesar salad?"

Username post combo right here.

But seriously one of them has clamato

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Give the guy with the dead baby a chance. He might be on a lovely run of luck and need this right now. If he is keeping in touch, give him a chance.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fizzymercy posted:

Word.

We have a hotel full of "cowboys" that can afford $455 a night rooms, clog up my tables talking too loud about bullshit, ordering nothing but cheap beer. All. Goddamn. Month. loving hate that bullshit rodeo.

Edit: "Cowboy Up!" - a thing my chef said in response to my bitching. I am going to drink a lot today.

This weekend was PBR, or PRO BULL RIDING CHAMPIONSHIPS in town.

Tips took a huge nosedive, and assholes were on the rise.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Captain Log posted:

Give the guy with the dead baby a chance. He might be on a lovely run of luck and need this right now. If he is keeping in touch, give him a chance.

Yeah, I totally am. It's gotta be horrible.

So tomorrow I'm supposed to be signing my new contract and I will put my notice in, but I've been having to bite my tongue all weekend just trying not to explode on everyone that they all loving idiots. Weekend highlights include:

Call from owner telling me;
1. How much I make, again. Just to remind me.
2. That's it totally cool to cut corners. No one's going to know. Food cost!
3. Threat of lowering my salary if food cost doesn't come down. (26 percent last week including lots of loss from poo poo that rodents got into! )
4. I have to quit ordering from a good reputable seafood purveyor because they are rude to our book keeper, and I have to switch to a really lovely one that sells bunk rear end gross seafood.food cost! A dollar a bag difference in mussels, that I'm sure have gotten someone ill. But you know, cost.
5. Asking where the new menu is for spring. Emailed him the menu a couple of times, and set up a date for a tasting, prepped all the poo poo, and he never showed up. Twice. Thanks for valuing my time!

Another guy and a dish washer put in their notice, because of school issues.

right as I was leaving last night at 12:45, the grease trap clogged/over flowed in the basement in what we like to call the "rape room" (years of poo poo just thrown in the basement where rats live) and me and a cook had to shop vac that poo poo out until two in the morning trying not to vomit in a very cramped room, whilst hovering over a 2 foot pool of grease water on a metro rack shelf trying not to fall in.

And I think I hired a guy who might be a goon. Awkward, talks a lot. Has made "handling meat" jokes about 200 times in the past 2 days. And says the words "In this industry" every 5 minutes. Yeah, I read kitchen confidential too dude, I got it.

Come ooooon tomorrow. Also after I sign contract, and email my notice I'm just going to turn my phone off for the rest of the day. Good times.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
At this point you arguably owe it to the general public to anonymously tip off the local health dept.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

cods posted:

Yeah, I totally am. It's gotta be horrible.

So tomorrow I'm supposed to be signing my new contract and I will put my notice in, but I've been having to bite my tongue all weekend just trying not to explode on everyone that they all loving idiots. Weekend highlights include:

Call from owner telling me;
1. How much I make, again. Just to remind me.
2. That's it totally cool to cut corners. No one's going to know. Food cost!
3. Threat of lowering my salary if food cost doesn't come down. (26 percent last week including lots of loss from poo poo that rodents got into! )
4. I have to quit ordering from a good reputable seafood purveyor because they are rude to our book keeper, and I have to switch to a really lovely one that sells bunk rear end gross seafood.food cost! A dollar a bag difference in mussels, that I'm sure have gotten someone ill. But you know, cost.
5. Asking where the new menu is for spring. Emailed him the menu a couple of times, and set up a date for a tasting, prepped all the poo poo, and he never showed up. Twice. Thanks for valuing my time!

Another guy and a dish washer put in their notice, because of school issues.

right as I was leaving last night at 12:45, the grease trap clogged/over flowed in the basement in what we like to call the "rape room" (years of poo poo just thrown in the basement where rats live) and me and a cook had to shop vac that poo poo out until two in the morning trying not to vomit in a very cramped room, whilst hovering over a 2 foot pool of grease water on a metro rack shelf trying not to fall in.

And I think I hired a guy who might be a goon. Awkward, talks a lot. Has made "handling meat" jokes about 200 times in the past 2 days. And says the words "In this industry" every 5 minutes. Yeah, I read kitchen confidential too dude, I got it.

Come ooooon tomorrow. Also after I sign contract, and email my notice I'm just going to turn my phone off for the rest of the day. Good times.

Throw your boss in the "Rape Room" and lock the door.

Only 80% serious.

Also what Vorenus said.

100% serious.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
We took care of the rodent problem in the restaurant, but it's only a matter of time before more poo poo happens. We are uncomfortably close to an abandoned building the is a rat jungle.

When it happened it grossed me out to the point of I don't eat anything there unless it came in that day. I mean I taste poo poo the cooks make because it's my job, but only a very little taste. I am just mentally scarred because I had them leave the lights on over night and I watched the security feed and at a certain point in the night bunch of not so little visitors came in and wreaked havoc. Again, we fixed it, temporarily, but still... Grosses me out. It took several days of this happening before he did anything about it. In which time it was me and my sous doing Charlie work and putting in steel wool all over the place. Then he sent in a half rear end handy man to bondo the poo poo, which has been working since the.

And it's new York, every place I have ever worked has tiny issues like that, but I've never seen some poo poo like this before.

cods fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
looking forward to hearing about your boss' reaction to you leaving (and also your eventual post about how great you feel to be out of there)

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Yeah, I mean a part of me feels really bad because it's only been a few months and we are going through a boh total turnover because the old chef poached all my cooks, so it's been rocky, but my Bullshit sensor started going off super quick.

Seriously life is too short to deal crazy poo poo like this. Being a chef is lovely and stressful enough.

Another fun one a couple of months ago when we had the blizzard, I called him to close the restaurant for the day because none of my cooks or me could get home because they were shutting down the subways. But you know, had to stay open and weather the storm. I had to walk two miles home in that blizzard that night because there were no subways and no cars were allowed on the road, and my sous chef fell down the stairs at the subway station trying to come in a d hosed his back up/destroyed his phone . And all day like every restaurant in the city was posting on Instagram that they were closing for the safety of their employees. Nice.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

cods posted:

Being a chef is lovely and stressful enough.

Doesn't have to be.

Although I did have a retard FoH manager cut a lemon with my carbon petty, then come bitch to me that my knife made the lemons brown and I shouldn't leave my knives dirty like that.

I yelled at him, and I don't think he'll ever touch another one of my knives ever again.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Speaking of knives, keep in mind I haven't been here that long so the crew I started with wasn't mine /trained by me, but I can't even keep my knives here. All of my poo poo got so thrashed I had to take my whole kit home. I would turn around, put down a knife, turn back around and a dishwasher(that only speaks French, they all only speak french) hacking at a box with one of my sweet Carbons. Thanks bro. Then I try the best way I can to explain that you never touch the chefs poo poo, but it falls on French ears. I came in one morning and one of the cooks went into my bag and busted out my sweet very rare sashimi knives and used it to slice cured salmon, and totally hosed it up. Two of my gyutos got turned into serrated knives somehow.

Set your knife down downstairs, go upstairs to grab something, come back down and my knife(all my poo poo is Carbon) has been run through the dishwasher with the rest of the silverware, and put on a magnetic strip with all the other poo poo knives.

So Last week I said gently caress it and and took everything home. I have one beater and on lovely China Town pairer that I use now.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
am I right to tell the guy who got fired and told to "get the gently caress out of my kitchen NOW" to just come back monday and act like nothing happened to have a 50/50 shot at not being unemployed?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

are you the guy who told him to get the gently caress out?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I'll hurt my knee and be done with this long before I have my own kitchen, so no! I figure in the young man's position though, it's his best bet.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure our Fri/Sat saute guy is done working with us sooner than he planned. We're already training in his replacement since he was leaving anyway, but after this weekend, I don't think he'll get to finish out his two weeks. He was originally helping out with baking, but moved to his current position with us so he could work full time at a beef processing plant, because he needed better pay to cover his court-ordered alcohol treatment courses after his third DUI, plus having a second baby on the way (now born). His girlfriend/ baby mama wanted him to quit since all he was doing was working. On Fri, we had to call him 30 min after he was supposed to show up to wake him up and get him to come in. We let him leave early because he said he was exhausted from the non-stop work, but his 3AM and 11AM texts to the chef-owners indicate that he instead stayed up drinking all night. On Sat, his girlfriend texted in when he was supposed to come in that he was passed out and she couldn't wake him up. drat shame, he really was a competent and knowledgeable cook when he showed up and was sober, but he's been less and less that lately.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's almost like condoning and continuing to pay people minimal wages has hugely negative, continuing effects on individuals and on the business itself! Shocker!!!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Last night a customer ran up behind me looking for the bathroom (it's on the other side of a U-shaped bar) and puked on the floor while I was expediting. :sigh:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

cods posted:

Being a chef is lovely and stressful enough.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Doesn't have to be.

Being a chef is straightforward and civilized with a few simple and common sense principles and preparatory measures taken in a professional atmosphere of good and constant and consistent and clear communication with expedient execution

therefore being a chef is lovely and stressful.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It's almost like condoning and continuing to pay people minimal wages has hugely negative, continuing effects on individuals and on the business itself! Shocker!!!

Nah I read the Jungle one time and that dude was just a pussy. bring it on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Simoom posted:

Nah I read the Jungle one time and that dude was just a pussy. bring it on

Oh hey, the book that ended my seeking jobs working with food.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

cods posted:

Another fun one a couple of months ago when we had the blizzard, I called him to close the restaurant for the day because none of my cooks or me could get home because they were shutting down the subways. But you know, had to stay open and weather the storm. I had to walk two miles home in that blizzard that night because there were no subways and no cars were allowed on the road, and my sous chef fell down the stairs at the subway station trying to come in a d hosed his back up/destroyed his phone . And all day like every restaurant in the city was posting on Instagram that they were closing for the safety of their employees. Nice.

Our whole group stayed open for that. Apparently the am sous texted the dude in charge something along the lines of:

"Jefe, none of the dishwashers have showed up, most of foh isn't here, there's no hot water and nobody knows how they're going to get home."

The text response was: "stay strong"

That was it.

Also pm me for a beer! I wouldn't mind hearing hilarious horror stories like this in person.

(Although two is my limit.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Two beers or two stories?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

where are you that you're not breaking the law by being open without hot water?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

infiniteguest posted:

Our whole group stayed open for that. Apparently the am sous texted the dude in charge something along the lines of:

"Jefe, none of the dishwashers have showed up, most of foh isn't here, there's no hot water and nobody knows how they're going to get home."

The text response was: "stay strong"

That was it.

Also pm me for a beer! I wouldn't mind hearing hilarious horror stories like this in person.

(Although two is my limit.)

Will do, totally. I have so many. That day sucked. What usually is a ten minute walk from the subway turned in a 45 minute walk, and I arrived frozen faced and soaking wet. As soon as I walked in the kitchen I washed my hands and snow/ice off of my face. Reaching for a c-fold to dry off I lost my footing on the stupid loving kitchen mats we have to used and busted my forehead on the corner of a shelf. There was blood everywhere and I was super embarrassed. I still have a little scar.

Then all the brunch cooks couldn't get home, and most of them stayed at the old chefs place that was down the street.

No dishwashers showed up, even though one of them is the brother(they live together) of the salad guy, who did show up. One of my dishwashers got literally got a call from Africa from his parents telling him to go home because it wasn't safe. And thenI had to hear about that weathering the storm poo poo from the owner whole my head was bleeding.

We were annoyingly busy too, and the two mile walk home was poo poo. I loaded up on tall boys for the walk.

Then the next day, anyone who worked the night before didn't show up because none of them got home till like 5 and the morning and they said gently caress it, which I couldn't blame them for because I certainly didn't want to loving be there.

And the hot water thing, in NYC because rent is so expensive it's hard to convince owners to close and as a chef or kitchen staff you get put in illegal/immoral positions all the time where your made to serve food.

Valentines day, we had just gotten the last guests out and five minutes later a pipe busted upstairs and it literally started raining in the kitchen. Like raining. This three floors up brown piss water over the whole restaurant. We were lucky no guests were in there. We mopped up after they shut the water off.

The next morning they opened up without clean water. They bought a five gallon of water and they were using that. There was still dirty piss water leaking over the pass when I came in. The sous chef taped off pass for places you could put plates without getting dripped on. I freaked out as soon as I walked in and said we could get shut down, but no one gave a gently caress.

The a few hours later a pipe busted next door that flooded our entire down stairs and rape room in about an inch of water. This went on for several hours.

Then later that night a radiator pipe busted near the bathrooms and it flooded the women's for about three hours. I had to crawl around the rape room forever to find the shut off valve and two days later I got a sweet chest cold from what I can only assume was inhaling rat piss and poo poo dust from said rape room.

cods fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Trebuchet King posted:

where are you that you're not breaking the law by being open without hot water?

As long as you have a chemical dishwasher and sanitizer on hand it should be fine afaik. Or at least that was what happened in MA a couple years back. We just had to use disposable dishware/utensils for a couple days.

• Locked thread