Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In the movie The Campaign (I ironically worked on the theatrical campaign for The Campaign, should have left the title as Dogfight) they lampoon the Koch brothers. I was thinking last week that I wouldn't be surprised if the Koch brothers had anything to do with Brownback getting re-elected by means of voter fraud, like their stand-ins in the movie do. I almost said something to this effect but I didn't want to come off as being too tinfoil hat guy. I bet Adam McKay is doing backflips at this news, he's a prescient wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cheating on that election seems like Nixon cheating in '72. You don't even get to chant "scoreboard" in an election so why would you do it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

duz posted:

No, electronic voting is a good idea, it just has to print a receipt that the voter confirms then deposits in a second box that can be used to confirm the electronic total.
Of course that only covers the vote count, none of the myriad of other ways to cheat an electronic vote. But they're all solvable with time and money, neither of which are easily available it seems.

I heard on the radio a while ago that there's a lot of concern about the electronic voting machines being outdated, with some districts using machines that are more than ten years old

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

This is extremely untrue. Most anyone whose grandparents grew up in the Midwest or Plains during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression is thrifty and fiscally conservative almost to a fault.

Edit: when your grandparents grew up in a sod house heated by burning dried cow poo poo, wearing clothes made out of flour and sugar sacks, that tends to resonate to your parents' generation very strongly and so on.

Certainly there are plenty of rural Midwesterners who are reckless with their money but fiscal conservatism goes very deep culturally.

Fiscal conservatism is not the same as thrift. Midwestern farmers were hugely supportive of the New Deal because the crash, deflation, and ecological disasters of the 1929+ years were devastating to the region.

The fiscal conservatism we're seeing right now is the result of a very successful decades long marketing campaign by the rich about prosperity coming from hard work and government doing nothing but taking the fruit of your labor and giving it to lazy blacks, combined with two generations of people who have grown up in the greatest decades of prosperity in world history who don't remember the bad times and are eager to attribute everything good in their lives to their own personal virtues and work ethic and not to the New Deal policies that created it. Thus they vote to destroy their own livelihoods and let the rich once again hoover up the most of the wealth from our high productivity.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 13, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If the only way you'll vote for things like free health care is if no blacks, gays, atheists, muslims or women on birth control can get it - you are 100% fiscal conservative. Because voting so that only like 30% of the country can benefit sure as poo poo ain't fiscally progressive.

And plenty of "thrifty" people are all about false thrift, which is also fiscal conservative. Eg why should I pay for health insurance? Why should I pay taxes?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I enjoy the mental process that convinces people to harangue everyone who lives between Pittsburgh and Las Vegas for being too tribal. It's a nice self-contained ideology where you need not even bother trying to appeal to your common interests with them and then wonder why our nation is a sea of red state legislatures. In order for this to be true you have to genuinely believe that a huge portion of those people hate blacks more than they care about keeping their houses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maarek posted:

I enjoy the mental process that convinces people to harangue everyone who lives between Pittsburgh and Las Vegas for being too tribal. It's a nice self-contained ideology where you need not even bother trying to appeal to your common interests with them and then wonder why our nation is a sea of red state legislatures. In order for this to be true you have to genuinely believe that a huge portion of those people hate blacks more than they care about keeping their houses.

So far they vote that way. Repeatedly too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
democrats aren't exactly putting up much of a fight to change that

i mean you cant entirely blame an uninformed voter for voting for the republican enthusiastically [pretending to] engaging the community and talking big talk about how things will own under him, then the dem candidate-a CEO of some shell company-limps in, goes "eh.", drops some flyers on the ground, then leaves.

Put yourself in their shoes: if one party was actually trying to court your votes, while the other just kind of waits for divine intervention, and the latter party is blasting you as being conservative hicks destroying the nation, what incentive do you have to vote for the second guy, let alone change your worldviews?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 13, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

what incentive do you have to change your worldviews?

I guess the total destruction of your state's economy at the hands of the guy you voted for is a pretty good incentive.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

I guess the total destruction of your state's economy at the hands of the guy you voted for is a pretty good incentive.

There's been suggestions of voter fraud, and again, you cant dissuade them from austerity if you don't engage them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If there's voter fraud truly happening, I can't imagine why you think re-marketing is going to fix the Democrat chances.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wait there are democrats on Kansas ballots? Since when and why?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I cannot find a single positive comment on this recent article.

I've been reading for over an hour, and zero positive comments. I have never seen anything like this.

edit:

"What’s the net result of all those tax changes? For the 20 percent of Kansans who earn the least, below $23,000 a year, average taxes actually went up by $197 a year. For the next 20 percent, net taxes also jumped higher. Middle-income Kansans essentially broke even. But the top 20 percent of Kansas earners came out far ahead, and the top 1 percent, those who earn more than $500,000 a year, picked up an average tax break of about $25,000. All these figures come from the Institute for Taxation and Economic Policy, a group that has developed probably the best model for measuring these types of changes in any state."

:stare:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Working as intended!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tax breaks for the Koch Bros is the ultimate endgame of the Kansas economy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Don't worry, delaying state retirement fund payments will help fix this, somehow. And those deferred payments will definitely be paid back later, with interest, and not forgotten/further delayed by this and future administrations.

It's like how freezing pay growth and dismantling state employee protections balanced the budget in previous years. Too bad something mysteriously unbalanced it and we're right back to making GBS threads all over the poor and state employees!

Maybe he should try shuttering some more long-term care facilities. Really just 100% Reagan the place into the ground.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

kiimo posted:

Tax breaks for the Koch Bros is the ultimate endgame of the Kansas economy.
They're also the opening move and midgame strategy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Inferior Third Season posted:

They're also the opening move and midgame strategy.

Also the intermission and halftime show.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Also the intermission and halftime show.
The halftime show has been cut due to budgetary constraints.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

The KPERS crap really bothers me I've paid into it for almost 10 years now a good pension is like the only benefit these low paying jobs have :(.

On top of that BS they want to combine school districts into county districts and then the state will absorb any extra equipment into their budget.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/jan/27/battle-lines-being-drawn-over-school-district-real/
I don't think it will pass but this is just a little bit of the real shady poo poo that goes down in kansas.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I don't get what the legislature hopes to accomplish by combining school districts. Administrative costs are trivially minor compared to payroll as a whole, building maintenance, and the like. Any gains they make by shitcanning rural admin centers will be offset by the extra administrative staff needed to keep a school district that's now several times larger in operation. From my experience and the people I know who teach here, the Administrative side of these districts were the ones most trying to mediate between the Legislative side and the KNEA. The fact that Brownback felt the need to snub his nose at them as well is kind of telling about how he feels about education at large in the state.

Speaking of school districts and on a more local level: Great Bend's school district can't keep their swim team from sexually assaulting each other: http://ksn.com/2016/02/22/great-bend-swim-team-facing-another-sex-allegation/

The school district tried desperately to bury the first one with a "Boys Will Be Boys" defense, but after it happened again and now people are screaming for blood. I'm pretty sure people are going to start getting fired over this real quick.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's check in and see how my old state is doing these days...

quote:

But it may have been Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach who caused the most stir by labeling the American Civil Liberties Union and the League of Women Voters as "communists" for challenging the proof-of-citizenship voting law he championed in 2011.

Speaking to a committee of 2nd Congressional District delegates, Kobach said: "The ACLU and their fellow communist friends, the League of Women Voters — you can quote me on that, the communist League of Women Voters — the ACLU and the communist League of Women Voters sued," Kobach said, making sure that reporters in the room heard him.

Oh.

So Kansas politicians are still on the same level as yahoo commenters. Good to know.

edit: also you have to use clear plastic bags instead of purses at K-State athletic events...

http://ksn.com/2016/02/22/k-state-announces-new-clear-bag-policy-for-2016-17/

Which is hilarious considering you can conceal carry a loving firearm next year.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 23, 2016

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

It's a common conservative thought that the reason schools are so expensive is because of administration a quick glance through my conservative friends gets statements like "look at all the secretaries in the principal/superintendents office." On top of that mindset you have the fact that extra buildings, equipment and vehicles would then be sold and instead of going back to the school district this money goes directly to the state, this isn't the first time brownback and his legislators have sneakily tried to take money away from local entities.
In May of last year they tried to take motor vehicle taxes away from local government and put that money directly into the state's coffers. This would have had a huge negative impact on local communities, community colleges, libraries and more but it would have filled up the state's coffers and plugged the huge hole that the brownback tax plan has put in our state's budget.
The bottom line is that until the brownback tax plan is rolled back they will continue to try and fix the state's budget problem and if it hurts the small communities and poor people throughout kansas too bad. Trickle down economics from the koch brothers will hit us someday right!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/kansas-revenue-down-57-million-in-february/38281486

quote:

Republican Gov. Sam Brownback has cut higher education spending by $17 million in response to a shortfall in tax collections for February.

The governor acted after the Department of Revenue reported that the state collected $57 million less in taxes than anticipated in February.

Of course this isn't a failing of the tax plan according to him, mind you. Conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

At this point, I'm convinced that anyone who plans outrageous tax cuts is doing so because they get a raging boner at the thought of dicking over the poor in the inevitable austerity measures that result.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

democrats aren't exactly putting up much of a fight to change that

i mean you cant entirely blame an uninformed voter for voting for the republican enthusiastically [pretending to] engaging the community and talking big talk about how things will own under him, then the dem candidate-a CEO of some shell company-limps in, goes "eh.", drops some flyers on the ground, then leaves.

Put yourself in their shoes: if one party was actually trying to court your votes, while the other just kind of waits for divine intervention, and the latter party is blasting you as being conservative hicks destroying the nation, what incentive do you have to vote for the second guy, let alone change your worldviews?

I can absolutely vouch for this. I am from a neighboring state that is similarly Republican, but I assure you we generally look down with the greatest of consternation at Kansas. Kansans have a reputation of complete and utter stupidity. It is a largely rural state with only a couple of cities with any sizeable minority population. Many folks that live there rarely get outside of their county except for cruises and trips to the family "vacation home" (generally in a trailer park) in Texas. They tote around guns on a regular basis and profess to Christianity--although they may never set foot in a church, and they read astrological forecasts. The state is chocked full of unwed white mothers, and most of the population is receiving some form of government assistance.

I can tell you that the Democrats are to blame for ceding states like Kansas to the Republicans. They present no candidates in elections--and, in the rare cases when someone opposes a Republican, they have no funding. Democrats, for one reason or another, have no presence in the rural Midwest. It doesn't help matters any, either, when Democrats act basically like less racist Republicans; progressives have little motivation to vote.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I can see why it would be pragmatic for Dems and progresses that want to make political headway to just abandon ship since actually getting any kind of momentum there is going to involve probably years of grooming younger folks to take over for the older generations stubbornly set in their vote-against-own-interest ways. You are basically swimming upstream, uphill, with twin boulders of regressive cultural and imploding, economic death-spiral with political policies gutting both short and long term chances for you to right the ship and salvage what remains.

There are people in Kansas who don't deserve it and would probably get out too if they had the opportunity, time, and funds, but they are likely going to be pulled down into the dark, cold depths by their spiteful co-inhabitants as things get worse.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I can absolutely vouch for this. I am from a neighboring state that is similarly Republican, but I assure you we generally look down with the greatest of consternation at Kansas. Kansans have a reputation of complete and utter stupidity. It is a largely rural state with only a couple of cities with any sizeable minority population. Many folks that live there rarely get outside of their county except for cruises and trips to the family "vacation home" (generally in a trailer park) in Texas. They tote around guns on a regular basis and profess to Christianity--although they may never set foot in a church, and they read astrological forecasts. The state is chocked full of unwed white mothers, and most of the population is receiving some form of government assistance.

Oh shut the gently caress up with that nonsense.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Kansas actually was fairly liberal in ways before Brownback; they tended to have Democrat governors and moderate Republicans who they would work with to get things done. Most conservative thing was social policy - it's a real meat and potatoes kind of state, with a bunch of god fearing simple white folk. There are still a bunch of reasonable Dems and GOP people in the state, they just get shouted down now. Really Kansas isn't completely screwed forever, but it does show what damage electing someone like Brownback twice can do to completely change the trajectory of the state.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

There are actually older essays about how moderate kansas was compared to the surrounding areas. In fact before brownback we had a democratic governer.

Brownback is basically the worst sort of scumbag when he was elected and began to enact his policies moderate republicans and even some conservative republicans spoke out against him. Then when it came time for primary season guess what? hundreds of thousands of dolllars was used to primary out anyone who disagreed with brownback including staunch conservative republicans. Anyone who remained were booted off any powerful committees and left powerless. There are still moderate republicans here and the progressives(like me) understand that we have to work with them; unfortunately, the big money is behind brownback and we are stuck with him.

edit: I realize I just basically go off on how much I hate brownback in every post but... he's just so awful.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I hate Kansas. I miss when people were reasonable here. Ted Cruz was here today in Overland Park and so many people I know were legit excited that he was here. The Tea Party I feel really took hold here in 2010 and thats when a lot of the reasonable, moderate republicans and center left democrats were voted out and replaced by Koch Brother surrogates who are hell bent on loving over this State any way possible.

Whenever I share a post about Brownback on Facebook I make it a point to say "Hey this is what Republicans would do to the ENTIRE UNITED STATES if they are given a chance". It's easy to look at one State as a poo poo show, but can you imagine how devastating it would be to the entire US if they tried to pull that poo poo nationwide?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Beo posted:

There are actually older essays about how moderate kansas was compared to the surrounding areas. In fact before brownback we had a democratic governer.

Brownback is basically the worst sort of scumbag when he was elected and began to enact his policies moderate republicans and even some conservative republicans spoke out against him. Then when it came time for primary season guess what? hundreds of thousands of dolllars was used to primary out anyone who disagreed with brownback including staunch conservative republicans. Anyone who remained were booted off any powerful committees and left powerless. There are still moderate republicans here and the progressives(like me) understand that we have to work with them; unfortunately, the big money is behind brownback and we are stuck with him.

edit: I realize I just basically go off on how much I hate brownback in every post but... he's just so awful.

Yeah I think the biggest sort of shift this past few cycles has been the destruction of the myth of "mandates" and how you "have" to go moderate, starting with George W. Bush going full neocon despite pundits going on about how he only had a "weak mandate" and pushing too hard right would cost him.

I think the big problem is not just that there isn't a source of money or political power to stop that kind of behavior, but also a lack of any real moral authority to call the guy a fucker and have it stick. Brownback is pretty much able to make up whatever poo poo he wants about why Kansas is going to hell and if some paper calls him out, hey, its just typical liberal media bullshit, he can just keep trucking and nothing is going to actually stop him from doing so as long as he operates with enough shamelessness. I think its the same thing that's enabling Trump, even; nobody is capable of pulling a "Have you no decency" sort of moment with the guy, since pretty much every institution capable of doing that has been smeared repeatedly and/or is just too milquetoast to bother. Probably doesn't help there's no real leftist movement in the US to at least rally its base with a sense of zeal to counteract this sort of thing. idk

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sanders won the Kansas primary today. Holy poo poo, my lovely state didn't pick Trump. :stonk:

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE

SoapyTarantula posted:

Sanders won the Kansas primary today. Holy poo poo, my lovely state didn't pick Trump. :stonk:

Cruz may honestly be worse, though. Until Trump came along, wasn't he the crazy option?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm all over Bernie personally but I'll say at least Cruz is a legitimate politician. Graduated from Harvard Law and is a senator. You might not agree with his views but at least he isn't the comedy reality show option.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'm all over Bernie personally but I'll say at least Cruz is a legitimate politician. Graduated from Harvard Law and is a senator. You might not agree with his views but at least he isn't the comedy reality show option.

lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, Cruz is the most appealing candidate for the Evangelicals, even though Trump does well across most groups within the Republicans. It is no shock that he won OK and KS.

The fact that he is considered a SC Justice replacement should Trump/Rubio win the whole drat thing is loving :laffo:/:negative:/:smithicide:

fuckthisgayearth

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have a hard time believing Trump would nominate someone who viciously attacked him during the race to Supreme Court.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SoapyTarantula posted:

Uh, they didn't pick Trump because they picked Ted Cruz, dude

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

Uh, they didn't pick Trump because they picked Ted Cruz, dude

That's not really fair to Kansas. It's not like there was a GOP candidate this year you couldn't write that about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Shame Carson didn't win Kansas; they're made for each other.

• Locked thread