Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I am constantly shocked at how good a governor McAuliffe has been. It genuinely saddens me that Virgina's strict term limit rules won't allow him to run for re-election.

From way back but you might be interested to know that according to the Clinton foundations tax returns McAulife has an unpaid position there. He basically volunteers there ten hours or so a week. Chelsea does 35 hours a week also for a $0 salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Fried Chicken posted:

Revisionist history that they started claiming after weeks of getting hammered on it. Their initial stance was that it was justified specifically on the basis of his father's actions.

Here's former WH Press Secretary Robert Gibbs on it:

Wasn't his son killed in an entirely separate airstrike as well? Maybe my memory is wrong on that one.

Still for the most part I don't think we're going to be send Seal Team Six to drop a grenade in the crib of the son of a ISIS higher-up's sex slave. I totally believe some of the end-of-the-line triggerpullers will robotically obey whatever orders + justifications they're given but fortunately there are other parts of the chain that will object before it gets that far.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wasn't his son killed in an entirely separate airstrike as well? Maybe my memory is wrong on that one.
Yes, about a month earlier. About two weeks after the son was killed they started claiming it was collateral damage while targeting someone who was not present (al-Banna). But at the time the father had been killed, then they justified killing him on the basis of what his previously killed father had done.

quote:

Still for the most part I don't think we're going to be send Seal Team Six to drop a grenade in the crib of the son of a ISIS higher-up's sex slave. I totally believe some of the end-of-the-line triggerpullers will robotically obey whatever orders + justifications they're given but fortunately there are other parts of the chain that will object before it gets that far.

Like anything else, it comes down to norms and culture. When someone gives you the order, and others are going along with it, it is a lot easier for someone to mentally justify doing it, so they can. And norms and the culture in these organizations has been corroding for a while now. We've got clear cases of where the White House said "kill this innocent person for what their family member did" or "torture this person to show we are tough" and it happened. Pretending that it won't because Trump is the one in the oval office instead of Obama or Bush is foolhardy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Let's go to Joe Biden at the Gridiron Dinner

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

computer parts posted:

The evidence shows that they don't care later in life (because they vote regularly), so either they forget about how much the parties annoy them, or there's some other confounding factor that makes them not vote. I'm going with the latter, personally.
Its the latter, specifically that they don't have kids or own property. Those two things are what push people of a certain age to suddenly start taking a very vested interest in politics, because suddenly who's in office affects your bottom line/kid's future in a very tangible, unavoidable way, mostly through property taxes (which is how most of America funds schools).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You seem confused. This bill is to prevent states from enacting stupid mandatory labeling laws.

I'm saying that if the critique of GMO labeling is that consumers might make a non-optimal utility choice, I can think over several areas of product labeling that are worse in impact.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, is Trump's bellow expectations performance today a signal he's finally winding down and will get overtaken? He's gotta burn out soon right?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's certainly a sign he doesn't do well in closed party caucuses.

Then again so was Iowa.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does Trump even have a loving campaign manager or ground game?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's go to Joe Biden at the Gridiron Dinner

I really wish this wasn't at the Gridiron Dinner and he had just said this unprompted.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hollismason posted:

Does Trump even have a loving campaign manager or ground game?

"I've got campaign managers, I've got the best campaign managers. I've got your ground game right here [points to crotch, smirks]." - POTUS Donald J Trump

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that if the critique of GMO labeling is that consumers might make a non-optimal utility choice, I can think over several areas of product labeling that are worse in impact.

It's not so much that consumers might make dumb choices - it's that those choices could limit a technology that makes food more affordable and reduces agricultural land. In this case the potential harm outweighs your right to mislead people. Moreover it's arbitrary and pure hypocrisy to label GMOs but not mutagenic crops which are every bit as unnatural and risky. They have incorporated one technology into organics and they are completely fine with it and then they turn around and complain about another technology because the flagship products happen to be herbicide resistant and thus primarily benefit the competitors of organics. It's an industry trying to distort the market through the state to the detriment of the poor - so they can make an extra buck. It's bullshit and they can gently caress right off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dumb question: Why do I sometimes see Trump referred to as Drumpf? Was that his original last name or something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Internet Kraken posted:

Dumb question: Why do I sometimes see Trump referred to as Drumpf? Was that his original last name or something?

It was his family's name until his dad or whoever changed it after moving to the US. John Oliver got people to start using it because he's salty about Trump giving Jon Stewart poo poo for changing his name instead of sticking with Leibowitz.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Dumb question: Why do I sometimes see Donald "I am the least racist person" Trump referred to as Drumpf? Was that his original last name or something?

A pretty weak Jon Oliver bit.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
A weak bit. A bit where Rubio, Cruz, and Romney got all their info form. Their attacks are small hands, Airlines, Vodka, University, Steak, etc.

Almost as bad as what's his name copy pasting Wikipedia pages for his speech stuff.

I want to say Rand Paul, or Paul Ryan? Never trust a person who last name is a first name.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
John Oliver practiced correct thought© through the whole segment and found a good angle with which to mock his hypocrisy.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I was watching House of Cards today and realized that if there was a tv show that had a plot of this election season, I'd be pretty annoyed by the lack of realism.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dogs named Charlie posted:

John Oliver practiced correct thought© through the whole segment and found a good angle with which to mock his hypocrisy.

I didn't think it would stick but damnit, apparently it did. That and everybody figuring out that if you hit Trump on his hands he'll dedicate the next 5 minutes to talking about how great his hands are and sounding like a huge weirdo has made things interesting

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

PhazonLink posted:

A weak bit. A bit where Rubio, Cruz, and Romney got all their info form. Their attacks are small hands, Airlines, Vodka, University, Steak, etc.

Almost as bad as what's his name copy pasting Wikipedia pages for his speech stuff.

I want to say Rand Paul, or Paul Ryan? Never trust a person who last name is a first name.
Well, to be fair to Rubio, he was making those jokes before the segment aired. It isn't as though the information was particularly hidden, I've read the fingers bit referenced multiple time here on the forums before.

That said, Oliver was the first to take all the information and put it all together in one nice 20-min. attack ad, while it was scattered before. Presentation is important.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope this doesn't come back to bite you in the butt. It is cool and good that you did this, but I can say from experience that it may cause your family to "forget" to invite you to family events or tell you about important happenings.

Feature, not a bug.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was his family's name until his dad or whoever changed it after moving to the US. John Oliver got people to start using it because he's salty about Trump giving Jon Stewart poo poo for changing his name instead of sticking with Leibowitz.

This actually makes a ton of sense, Oliver loves Stewart immensely. :3:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A lot of companies (Kellogg is the big star here) are actually lobbying for a national standard of GMO labeling. That is because individual states are passing regulations that may or may not agree with each other and while it isn't a labeling nightmare yet, it is poised to become one. Anti GMO sentiment is misplaced but very real so the market is responding. Plus, a national system is likely to be much less stringent.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

I would guess it is more of a "the choices of a plurality of idiots will gently caress up the food supply chain", but I could be wrong.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They won't be laughing so hard when the only vegetables on the shelf are drought resistant genetically modified ones

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes, about a month earlier. About two weeks after the son was killed they started claiming it was collateral damage while targeting someone who was not present (al-Banna). But at the time the father had been killed, then they justified killing him on the basis of what his previously killed father had done.

Like anything else, it comes down to norms and culture. When someone gives you the order, and others are going along with it, it is a lot easier for someone to mentally justify doing it, so they can. And norms and the culture in these organizations has been corroding for a while now. We've got clear cases of where the White House said "kill this innocent person for what their family member did" or "torture this person to show we are tough" and it happened. Pretending that it won't because Trump is the one in the oval office instead of Obama or Bush is foolhardy.

Oh gently caress off with your conspiracy theory bullshit. The quote you posted was clearly commenting on the fact that if his dad wasn't a piece of poo poo he wouldn't have ended up running around with people who were targets for drone strikes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Quandary posted:

I was watching House of Cards today and realized that if there was a tv show that had a plot of this election season, I'd be pretty annoyed by the lack of realism.

I haven't really been able to enjoy House of Cards since season 2 because the plot is just downright weaksauce compared to real life.

Like, someone flipping Underwood the bird for sky high gas prices is literally oppositeofreality.jpg

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

Epic High Five posted:

I didn't think it would stick but damnit, apparently it did. That and everybody figuring out that if you hit Trump on his hands he'll dedicate the next 5 minutes to talking about how great his hands are and sounding like a huge weirdo has made things interesting

They look like big, good, strong hands, don't they? I always thought that's what they were.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shao821 posted:

They look like big, good, strong hands, don't they? I always thought that's what they were.

:golfclap:

Now I won't be able to stop visualizing this during the Trump Hands conversations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
As far as primarychat goes: the thing I find interesting is that Rubio is more or less finished at this point, and yet has not conceded. Voters in all five states today rejected him completely - he lost to Kasich of all people in one. At this point it's very much a two-horse race between Trump and Cruz, which really is amazing to watch due to it driving the GOP leadership into literal apoplexy. So why is Rubio sticking around? Has he really been told that if he sticks with it, the party leadership will just anoint him the candidate, drat all the rules? Would they dare ignore the democratic process to this degree and hand the big-D Democrats such a potent talking point? Does Rubio actually think a reversal is possible at this stage? (It's hard to see how, because he'd need to completely win something like every remaining state to make up the shortfall from Trump AND Cruz.)

As much as it can feel like democracy in peril, this entire fiasco is the most interesting Presidential election we've had in easily half a century. July is going to be amazing (or horrific, or both).

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SpaceDrake posted:

As far as primarychat goes: the thing I find interesting is that Rubio is more or less finished at this point, and yet has not conceded. Voters in all five states today rejected him completely - he lost to Kasich of all people in one. At this point it's very much a two-horse race between Trump and Cruz, which really is amazing to watch due to it driving the GOP leadership into literal apoplexy. So why is Rubio sticking around? Has he really been told that if he sticks with it, the party leadership will just anoint him the candidate, drat all the rules? Would they dare ignore the democratic process to this degree and hand the big-D Democrats such a potent talking point? Does Rubio actually think a reversal is possible at this stage? (It's hard to see how, because he'd need to completely win something like every remaining state to make up the shortfall from Trump AND Cruz.)

As much as it can feel like democracy in peril, this entire fiasco is the most interesting Presidential election we've had in easily half a century. July is going to be amazing (or horrific, or both).
At this point even if the other candidates drop out Cruz will probably not catch up to Trump and it actually makes it more likely that he'll hit the magic number 1237. At least, it's risky. They're going to keep the field full to deny Trump as many delegates as they can, with a view to ratfucking him out of the nom at the convention. Like Romney said: "I endorse whichever candidate happens to be in second place in a given state".

Also, it case it isn't already really clear, it's not like there is some shadowy cabal pulling all the strings at the GOP. It's just a loose collection of self-interested assholes trying to grab as many goodies as then can, while they can, and *gasp* turns out that doesn't always get you the best results.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Kilroy posted:

At this point even if the other candidates drop out Cruz will probably not catch up to Trump and it actually makes it more likely that he'll hit the magic number 1237. At least, it's risky. They're going to keep the field full to deny Trump as many delegates as they can, with a view to ratfucking him out of the nom at the convention. Like Romney said: "I endorse whichever candidate happens to be in second place in a given state".

Also, if Rubio is in third place going into a brokered convention, he's got a decent chance of winning the nomination. The whole point of a brokered convention would be to deny Trump the candidacy, and the GOPe hates Cruz even more than they do Trump.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I liked it better when spite voters would purport to be raider-kings in a theoretical apocalypse

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As horrifying as this election has been in watching the rules go completely out the window as the GOP cannot stop its own perfect creation, seemingly with or without the rules of Democracy, it's also shown to me how impotent and weak the billionaires class's campaign money and the GOP's system can be. It's like finding out the Wizard of Oz turn out to be some 50-100 year old man child who is constantly scared of the inferiority from the size of their hands/penis.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if Cruz overtakes Trump, he's still an enormous risk to run third party at this point isn't he? Trump has essentially crossed the Rubicon it feels with his campaign at this point in terms of what he expects/wants.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Even if Cruz overtakes Trump, he's still an enormous risk to run third party at this point isn't he? Trump has essentially crossed the Rubicon it feels with his campaign at this point in terms of what he expects/wants.

He's gone on the record twice now promising he won't do that.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Sardine Wit posted:

He's gone on the record twice now promising he won't do that.

he has also hinted many times that he doesn't give a gently caress and if he feels "unfairly treated" he will do whatever he wants

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

He's like Uncle Jack from It's Always Sunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi USpol, casual AUSpol observer here.
I'm curious as to the actual likelihood of Trump getting ratfucked (a delightful expression by the way, love it) out of the nomination. Is this really the uncharted waters y'all are claiming and secondly, is there any data predicting a higher or lower voter turnout in the primary? Or is it too early to tell?

• Locked thread