Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

omg, i'm not sure its possible to top this, all downhill like a backer's mental health from here folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saxJEVffaks

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Looking at this I hear those bongo drum sounds you would hear on Scooby Doo after they yelled zoiks! and were running in place trying to get away from the ghost that you found out at the end
was really just ole Mr. Roberts wearing a mask trying to scare them away before exposing the scam.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I kind of hope they do another flea fly weekend/week. Once I had my fill of the jank and ~fidelity~ it was fun for a couple of minutes while I griefed a commando in a constellation. The "physicalized" "EVA" system looks absolutely delicious from the videos the thread's Youtube stars have posted, along with other new and exotic flavors of immersion.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I would spend hours just pushing unfortunate commandos away from the chariot terminals in the hologram hub, blinding my quarry with the flashlight by pressing [L], their frustration tripling every second.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

EightAce posted:

That is exactley what I meant.

stay safe.
you are the bleach to the giant poo poo stain SC is.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Are you sure you want to live like Shitizen people?
You want to see whatever Shitizen people see?
You want to :gary: with Shitizen people,
You want to :gary: with Shitizen people, like me?

But I did not understand
I just smiled and played a real space game.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

I think I've seen this episode of Tom and Jerry.

It's the one that ends with Tom saying, "Don't you believe it" about the game right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ewe2 posted:

:pgabz: Remix time! Brand New Shitizen 2.0! :pgabz:

Revision log:

* Fixed embarrassing mistake in verses.
* CHIPMUNKZ!!!!!
* Super heavy beatz and throbbing phazorz
* Robot backup singers!
* Did I mention the CHIPMUNKZ?!?!
* Wang wang wang wang.

Could you post the lyrics?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:five:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The wank pod is the highlight of this game for me. All these Spergs quacking about immersion and fidelity and you have this bizarre opening sequence that would have looked risible in an FPS from 20 years ago. Why the hell would your shootman be asleep in full gear and armour, with guns strapped to his legs? Then just casually yawn and wakeup and take a stroll down to a computer, unshowered, no breakfast, to call up a ship. Its loving laughably poo poo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Daztek posted:

Could you post the lyrics?

With pleasure, I was wondering if anyone would ask:

http://pastebin.com/FqzB6e2m

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ewe2 posted:

Are you sure you want to live like Shitizen people?
You want to see whatever Shitizen people see?
You want to :gary: with Shitizen people,
You want to :gary: with Shitizen people, like me?

But I did not understand
I just smiled and played a real space game.

Smoke some nerds and play space pool

pretend you graduated from school

but still you'll never get it right

cause when you immersively crawl out of bed at night

watching gimps run in the halls

If you fund this game, then you've lost it all oh!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

I'm new here. I come from the internet Elite Dangerous, a game about spaceships which actually is a real game that works and has gameplay in it. I recently made the mistake of mentioning Star Citizen on /r/elitedangerous. I mentioned it once, I don't think I got away with it.

14 years to make Elite? What? I'm done with these guys. They have infected every single forum and comments section like a loving cancer, and I cannot read their bullshit any more. Listen to this horseshit, you can see my comments he replied to.

What in the actual gently caress. I always thought folks were exaggerating about these guys, this is your actual real life bone fide see the doctor poo poo.

Isn't that last one a doozy? Isn't it? Looking at their website, reading up on what their trying to make, watching videos of the loving STATE OF IT and casually pointing out that it looks like a trainwreck is "Spreading Misinformation".

I've actually had enough of these guys, they are loving all over everything with this evangelical loving bullshit. Any moron with at least one eye and one braincell can tell at a distance of half a mile that the game is an absolute shambles. The engine physically cannot do what is being asked of it, it has nothing to do with being unfinished.

And do you know what this guy did? Do you know what this Optix334 guy went and did after I started ignoring him? He sent me a link to the latest RSI Monthly update. Are you loving kidding me. As if reading it will all of sudden make this pile of poo poo suddenly be an actual game.

So I've posted this all here and surely this guy will see it and know who I am and you know what, I couldn't give a gently caress anymore. There is no games journalism worth a toss any more in this industry, and there is something very very wrong with these guys who seem to be completely oblivious and genuinely in denial about it all.

I've voiced a hell of a lot of strong criticism at Elite and given mighty credit when it's due as well. It's an amazing piece of work and there's more to it than most people, even guys with hundreds of hours, realise. And it's getting trash talked by these fuckers? And this dude is hating on NMS too?

gently caress them, gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them.

Thank you, I got my $10 worth.

Cant speak for the ED subreddit, but over at the SC one, you usually dont see this kind of pre fabricated poo poo from other games white knight posters (or at least not to that level, that has actually taken thay guy probably hours on end of preparation over time to be able to regurgitate it on demand) . I guess those other posters are busy playing an actual game.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 6, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ravane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA

Is Sandi better than the Ouya CEO? Or is Sandi the Ouya CEO's protege?

Television television television television television *close tab*

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

"Dear CIG, for the next round of physical models, consider limiting the sharp edges. Some citizens might sustain embarassing injuries..."

Welp, time to refactor all ships to fit the new Smooth Aesthetic

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

It is right and proper that companies selling dreams should fail.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

smellmycheese posted:

Why the hell would your shootman be asleep in full gear and armour, with guns strapped to his legs? Then just casually yawn and wakeup and take a stroll down to a computer, unshowered, no breakfast, to call up a ship. Its loving laughably poo poo.

Maybe because, in real life, the spergs have a similar routine?

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Maybe because, in real life, the spergs have a similar routine?

I bet there's already an in-lore explanation for this that the Citizens will be happy to tell you all about.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

No Mods No Masters posted:

Reminder that the commandos expect hundreds of thousands of npcs simulating the creation and delivery of all items to be added any day now, in this game where making a ring rotate in space is a hopeless mire of nested rubberbanding bugs

It's coming, just not to Star Citizen. The game they'll want is called No Man's Sky.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
"Our controller has a touchpad, you're not gonna find that somewhere else"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is an incredible quote right here

Who cares that some (most) of the concept ships still aren't flyable! Star Citizen has 11 thousand vanduul ships COMPLETED

Checkmate, Braben
How does he even define “completed”, seeing as how even official sources are saying that all ships will be reworked?
Never mind that, as far as I (read: google) can tell, there are 14 Vandal ships, and I suppose that according to SQ-branch mathematics, that is definitely more than E:D's 29…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 6, 2016

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

Tippis posted:

How does he even define “completed”, seeing as how even official sources are saying that all ships will be reworked?

And can you even call things placeholders if they fail at holding in one place.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tippis posted:

Never mind that, as far as I (read: google) can tell, there are 14 Vandal ships, and I suppose that according to SQ-branch mathematics, that is definitely more than E:D's 29…

Well obviously they're only going to tell you there are 14 Vandal ships. If the developers told you the real number (which is obviously more than 29) they'd spoil the surprise and also give haters more ammunition...

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Because they might need to recycle that entire station under a different name.

Yeah, i'm not weirded out by the name decal.
That's normal. The fact it's a separate piece of geometry, as well as the fact it gets separate updates is what's doing my head in.

Toops posted:

You've GOT to be loving kidding me. That can only mean one thing: The server sends SEPARATE position updates to each piece of geometry. Separately. That's an intentional choice that some idiot made with his own idiot brain, and then typed with his own idiot hands. There's just no excuse for that.

But but but... That makes zero sense.
The name is a simple decal, or should be.

Who'd be crazy enough to stick it on a separate object?!

Oh.

Tippis posted:

Speaking only form experience with the UnrealEngine, but…

Because it's probably not part of the structure texture, but rather a projected decal that's specific for the station. That way, they can just feed the projector a different one for each station rather than retexture each of them individually. The projector would then require its own rotation, which is supposed to match that of the station. And it does… just not in terms of update ticks. :D

Okay, if projector, why is it not a child of the ring object?
Also, why projector at all? It's a fixed piece of geometry. They don't need to use projected decals at all.

They could've just put another texture layer on it.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 6, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'm just glad Mr. Roberts started coding at midnight to ensure the latest patch had the proper quality. Thanks Ben.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

But but but... That makes zero sense.
The name is a simple decal, or should be.

Who'd be crazy enough to stick it on a separate object?!

Someone who thought it was a really fancy, new, and innovative technique that would let them do things that couldn't be done before.
And I mean, it was all of those things… in 2002, when UnrealEngine 2 came out.

…sure, UE1 had dynamic, data-driven, and multi-layered textures 4 years earlier, but that's entirely besides the point. :D

e: In fact, as a general rule of thumb, it seems like any technical solution or game design feature that wasn't around back when he failed to make Freelancer will automatically be filed as “new and unprecedented” in CRobber's brain. The amazing thing is really how anyone else could possibly believe the same thing unless they haven't touched a PC in over a decade.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 6, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Does anyone have that funding timeline gif?

Edit: Nevermind, found something better :smug:

Daztek fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 6, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

…sure, UE1 had dynamic, data-driven, and multi-layered textured 4 years earlier, but that's entirely besides the point. :D

I was too slow.
See edit in the previous post - was asking about this precisely.

You can use texture layers in Cryengine too.

But it's almost like someone googled for 'cryengine decals' and picked the first solution that popped up.
Because the first thing you find is deferred terrain decal projections.

Meant for loving static terrain meshes.

Static. Terrain.

e: sorry for the B'tak text formatting, this thing just makes me wanna choke someone and then i go all bold

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

orcinus posted:

But it's almost like someone googled for 'cryengine decals' and picked the first solution that popped up.

Well... if it looks like a Frog... sounds like a Frog... it might be a Frog.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well... if it looks like a Frog... sounds like a Frog... it might be a Frog.

Banned for not understanding frog development.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

Okay, if projector, why is it not a child of the ring object?
Also, why projector at all? It's a fixed piece of geometry. They don't need to use projected decals at all.

They could've just put another texture layer on it.

orcinus posted:

I was too slow.
See edit in the previous post - was asking about this precisely.

You can use texture layers in Cryengine too.

Meant for loving static terrain meshes.

Static. Terrain.

Well, that's the thing about CryEngine compared to, oh, almost every other game engine out there: the developer community is tiny, the knowledge base is limited, and the best practices aren't as well-established. A lot of it should be common across engines, but there's always the chance that your favourite trick isn't available for one reason or another, or just implemented in a way that makes it suboptimal for how you usually use it.

I also suspect that some of it is connected to the inside glimpses we got from chairgate and that whole Excel-vs-notepad XML tool mixup episode. It seems like art and logic are firmly separated and aren't talking to each other properly. At the same time, the artists are doing what they can to push stuff out expediently (maybe to relieve some of the pressure from constant redesigns?), which means they take shortcuts that don't necessarily work with the game logic the programmers have put in. Maybe they've diked out sections of the child object logic to make it easier to put in gimballed weapons and turrets — stuff that should remain reasonably fixed as the ship moves — but now it has obvious side-effects for cases such as this and each child object has to be updated separately?

Obligatory second-thought-edit: as to why projectors, maybe it's actually supposed to be a projection rather than something that's painted on, so for reasons of fidelity, they picked that method. The fact that the name might not fully represent the intended purpose and use case is just something that was lost in the process…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 6, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Everything is fine. It's so fine they can't even show us how fine it is.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Well, that's the thing about CryEngine compared to, oh, almost every other game engine out there: the developer community is tiny, the knowledge base is limited, and the best practices aren't as well-established.

One would think that 100+ million dolares americanos combined with 4 years of development and having direct access to Cryengine developers would allow one to develop their own best practices. Beyond googling for Stack Overflow and blog solutions.

I just can't.

:psypop:

smellmycheese posted:

Why the hell would your shootman be asleep in full gear and armour, with guns strapped to his legs? Then just casually yawn and wakeup and take a stroll down to a computer.

Because spergs like to sleep in a safe cocoon wrapped in a safe cocoon wrapped in another safe cocoon. The more cavelike, and the more layers, the better. It makes them feel safe.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

One would think that 100+ million dolares americanos combined with 4 years of development and having direct access to Cryengine developers would allow one to develop their own best practices. Beyond googling for Stack Overflow and blog solutions.

I just can't.

:psypop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Crob spins around, his spaceman does his liquid skeleton dance on the screen while his ship loses textures and falls to pieces

Crob: Wait! See there, on the rings? You forgot the logo?
Random dev: Whuh?
Crob: You FORGOT the logo. Do the logo on the spinny rings.
Random dev: You want me to fokus on... Never mind. We can't add yet another material to that mesh, the last three, uh, "refactorizations" showed us the engine won't handle it. And we can't add it to the textures either, apart from the resolutions issues it would make the logo reappear at random places on the model.
Crob: It's my game and logo better be on the spinny rings when I get back from England.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Crob: It's my game and logo better be on the spinny rings when I get back from England.
This is the hardest I've laughed in days-- and I've laughed a lot over the last several.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
StarCitizen - It's a gift that keeps on giving

• Locked thread