Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is it 8 hearts or 10 that let you start dating someone if you give them a bouquet. I don't wanna do a dating faux pas with my blob of purple honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Zodack posted:

Is it 8 hearts or 10 that let you start dating someone if you give them a bouquet. I don't wanna do a dating faux pas with my blob of purple honey.

it's 8:h: and i don't think they'll accept it from you (ie, steal it from your inventory) if it doesn't work, at least linus didn't when i tried to woo him with it :smith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It doesn't disappear on a failed request.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I don't want my farmer dude to marry straight away he's gonna date EVERYONE before he settles for Leah.

If he goes on a date does it tie him into that choice or can he still go around giving people gifts, without negativly effecting his chances with Leah

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm collecting hundreds of salmonberries a day at this point. And they're only worth ~5g a piece. Are they worth distilling at all, or should I really just be shipping them as-is?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Do I have to get everyone's 10 heart events if I want to see them before I give out a Mermaid Amulet? Or can I sleaze around a bit once I'm married.

e: also Winter blocks out a lot of the heart events I think, now it's Spring again I'm getting at least one a day going off.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 6, 2016

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

VodeAndreas posted:

e: also Winter blocks out a lot of the heart events I think, now it's Spring again I'm getting at least one a day going off.

As it happens I've been checking the mine every day for Abigail's final heart event and getting nothing, and it's winter, so maybe you're onto something here and I'll just have to wait for spring. The dude who sells the amulet probably won't show up until the first spring rain anyway.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

VoLaTiLe posted:

I don't want my farmer dude to marry straight away he's gonna date EVERYONE before he settles for Leah.

If he goes on a date does it tie him into that choice or can he still go around giving people gifts, without negativly effecting his chances with Leah

You can date everyone at once. The only thing that locks you out of romancing everyone else is marriage.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Delsaber posted:

As it happens I've been checking the mine every day for Abigail's final heart event and getting nothing, and it's winter, so maybe you're onto something here and I'll just have to wait for spring. The dude who sells the amulet probably won't show up until the first spring rain anyway.

Yeah, think the guy doesn't show up at all in Winter. Which is great because I literally got Penny to 10 hearts the day after the last rain of Fall. :smith:

Then again marriage is supposed to suck so having a season to wait for potential fixes and improvements isn't probably a bad thing anyway.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
this game is fun and I am going to be a powerful hipster microbrew master.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm collecting hundreds of salmonberries a day at this point. And they're only worth ~5g a piece. Are they worth distilling at all, or should I really just be shipping them as-is?

If you've got nothing else to brew that's still a x2/x3 modifier. :shrug:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

If you've got nothing else to brew that's still a x2/x3 modifier. :shrug:

Making them into jam is a straight +50 gold in value, which with how low value salmonberries are would make the jam worth 55g. Honestly I just ate my salmonberries while mining.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Probably the biggest :doh: moment for me was figuring out the northern exit from the farm, that path there, is sooooooo much faster to access the mine.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Loving Life Partner posted:

Probably the biggest :doh: moment for me was figuring out the northern exit from the farm, that path there, is sooooooo much faster to access the mine.

Know what's faster?

Minecart :colbert:

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
What's the best way to go about murdering a bunch of slimes? I'm trying to fill my monster-killing quotas.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

wheres that goddamn Dwarf Scroll 4

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Welp, I won the lottery. Crop fairy boosted my Ancient Fruits on Spring 21. A good day.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
She only touched my sunflowers and they would have blossomed the next day anyway. :mad:

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
::runs into thread, grabs a cow by the face, screams "my farmer, have you tried Pepper Poppers???"::

Holy poo poo those things. Stock up on Hot Peppers in Summer, people, because once you have a cow and regular cheese production you can eat a Pepper Popper every morning for +1 speed and +2 farming until mid-afternoon, letting you do serious agriculture for less energy and less time. And you can start staying up until past 1, because who cares if you lose energy in the morning? You're going to pop some Pepper Poppers and get in right back.

Edit: to clarify, that's not "I swing my sword faster" speed, that's "run from one end of the farm to the other" speed

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

wheres that goddamn Dwarf Scroll 4

Apparently a 0.1% drop chance from most enemy types, anywhere in the mines. I am similarly sick of trying to find that loving scroll.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Pepper poppers is also Shane's favourite dish. Maintaining best boy status.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's the base chance for critical hits and what does improved critical hit chance do, exactly? I took Scout and have two +10% crit rings and it isn't happening anywhere near 70% of the time, so I assume they actually meant "crit 1.7x as often" but it still almost never happens.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Zoe posted:

I was a little disappointed I couldn't make pickled eggs.

I know! I tried pickling a herring and was disappointed it wouldn't let me. :mad:

VodeAndreas posted:

Do I have to get everyone's 10 heart events if I want to see them before I give out a Mermaid Amulet? Or can I sleaze around a bit once I'm married.

Not sure about that, but I do know you can propose at 10 hearts without even seeing the person's event. It's a little odd since you couldn't marry without seeing the event in some Harvest Moon games.

I realize this is a farming/dungeon crawl game first and foremost, but I do wish proposals were more interesting than "..!! I accept!"

Also the Glacier fish IS terrible. :sigh:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
How do I make money early on? I'm at around Spring 17th and make maybe ~500g a day, which kinda blows considering everything seems to cost 2000g as well as a bunch of materials. I kind of want to just restart and spend all my cash and effort at the start making a ton of cauliflower, but I fished up a Neptune's Glaive already and it's making the mines way less annoying.

EDIT: misremembered the sword's name

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 6, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Cheese Pain posted:

I know! I tried pickling a herring and was disappointed it wouldn't let me. :mad:

I fully agree. I don't need to go full on fermented fish from a hole in the ground but man some nice pickled herring is delicious.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

Rookersh posted:

That honestly makes the Maru/Harvey stuff even more creepy in some way?

Like Maru is the youngest character. Sebastian mentions he was 5-6 when she was born, and he's early/mid 20's, which makes Maru 18-20. That fits with her dad saying she deserves to go to college, not be stuck with some farmer in nowheresville.

Harvey spent 8 years getting his degree, and is supposed to be the late 20's/early 30's guy.

Why is there an implied romance between a late 20s/30+ish year old guy and a 18 year old teenager. Last I checked, even in rural farming communities that's a bit messed up.

Like I thought that CA just didn't think it through very well, and when he was making the pairings said "Ah yes, the two science people will stand near each other. Perfect". But if there was actually supposed to be something there? Uhhhhh.

relax dude

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I don't know if I've seen them hang out beyond her work hours.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How do I make money early on? I'm at around Spring 17th and make maybe ~500g a day, which kinda blows considering everything seems to cost 2000g as well as a bunch of materials. I kind of want to just restart and spend all my cash and effort at the start making a ton of cauliflower, but I fished up a Neptune's Glaive already and it's making the mines way less annoying.

EDIT: misremembered the sword's name

I didn't pull anywhere near 500g daily in spring 1 and while money is always an issue, I'm doing just fine. I suggest chilling out a little and just playing, but even if people had figured out how to min-max for most monetary gains in spring 1, it would probably be very little more than 500g daily. Fishing can pull in more than that, but then you're not developing mines or farming skill or foraging, so it's a tradeoff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How is modding coming along as far as adding/editing dialogue?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Tarezax posted:

But... there's a pond right there! :psyduck:

I honestly didn't see it running around my farm, I thought there was only the big pond near the bottom. Knowing that the best place to start the farm (from playing previous HM games) would be near the water source, I was annoyed at the idea of having to start my farm near the big one and only noticed the tiny one coming from Pierre's after getting seeds and heading south once i got back to my farm.

I was kind of shocked the tutorial was so sparse, a lot of the stuff I can't imagine someone easily figuring out certain game mechanics if they were not familiar with Harvest Moon or Minecraft and intuitively thought to try them.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 6, 2016

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I got Shane's 2 heart cutscene right before I got Sam's 10 heart cutscene. Thanks to Shane, I was drunk the entire time Sam was pouring his heart out. :laugh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there any way to track your progress / see what items you've already sent towards Full Shipment?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

willing to settle posted:

Apparently a 0.1% drop chance from most enemy types, anywhere in the mines. I am similarly sick of trying to find that loving scroll.

I found 2 of them before i found 1 from any other.

I think i found one just randomly hoeing the cave floor for clay, and the other was in a omni-geode? But I may be mis-remembering, it was like 3 seasons ago.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

willing to settle posted:

I found at least one of the scrolls just hoeing up worms around town. I'm not sure it was #4, though, if they all have different sources.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I missed the cutover from spring to summer - is each season 30 days long or do they vary at all?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706336018132107264

Hmmm...

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

duffmensch posted:

I missed the cutover from spring to summer - is each season 30 days long or do they vary at all?

As each calendar would have you believe, each season is 28 days, which surprised me the first time too.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

duffmensch posted:

All 28 days

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there any way to track your progress / see what items you've already sent towards Full Shipment?

If you look at the Collections tab in the menu, I think Full Shipment means have you have shipped literally every item in that first tab "Items Shipped" , so nothing can appear greyed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PhantomZero posted:

If you look at the Collections tab in the menu, I think Full Shipment means have you have shipped literally every item in that first tab "Items Shipped" , so nothing can appear greyed out.

Oh okay, I didn't realize that tab was different from the other collections. I was worried I might have to ship the legendary fishes via box instead of selling them direct, stuff like that. If it's just produce and forage that's much easier.