Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
NGL, I felt a little betrayed. :qq:

But I talked him into reading Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose along with me (new to both of us), so maybe this Shameful Book Opinion will turn out to be a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You tried the "Eco invented Dan Brown" angle, right?

Sounds like just wasn't fit to pass the Abbey door.

Y'all better Rose it UUUUPP in this month's BOTM or I will be the saddest forum moderator

That is the moderator of the saddest forum

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

krampster2 posted:

Do we talk about historical novels in here? The War of the Roses is something I've been learning about recently and so yesterday picked up The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. Has anyone else read this book or have any other recommendations for British historical novels?

Reading this right now and it's really good, as for something similar, try Edith Pargeter's A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury or The Last English King by Julian Rathbone.

Quagga
Feb 16, 2016

Laughing at Nothing
Have any of you read The Master and the Margarita? I tried reading it a couple months ago -and was digging it- but I felt like I needed a companion to understand all the Russian poo poo... so I stopped reading it. I felt like I was missing some of the humor either due to culture differences or the translation I was reading. Any tips on that one since I'm stupid?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my advice is that it is a funny book and you don't need to "get" all the in jokes about stalin era soviet bureaucracy + the life of jesus to enjoy it and you don't need to get an s+ ranking in reference getting to unlock new book+ or whatever hangup it is that a lot of people seem to have about this book but also like ulysses and gravity's rainbow and whatever.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
that was ruder than i intended. whatever, my "tip" is to stick with it because a lot of the funnier setpieces w/e are later on in the book and are very broad i think. also i've been happy with the endnotes in a lot of the editions i've seen (burgin for one) so check those out.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
nah, it's true and not rude. also, the same applies to most books, nt only M&M, GR, U and FW

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's a bad approach that people seem to have on this forum that they can't just like well written books they have to get sad if they think the books are cleverer than them.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Luckily I am very very smart and get every reference I have ever read so have never faced this problem.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
I find a common mistake that some people make is trying to analyse every page or chapter as they go. I'm not much of a formalist but I do think that all you need to "get it" is read the words from start to finish. I would read to the end and see if I get it. If I don't then I'll move on and come back to it later. If you give up on a book then you are definitely never going to get it. If it is stressful though, it's probably better to read something pleasurable.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You shouldn't read books before you know all of the 25 late imperial russian civil service ranks and how each rank should be addressed

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
watching 20-year old English majors not "getting" Melanctha was the funniest part of college for me

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Tree Goat posted:

my advice is that it is a funny book and you don't need to "get" all the in jokes about stalin era soviet bureaucracy + the life of jesus to enjoy it and you don't need to get an s+ ranking in reference getting to unlock new book+ or whatever hangup it is that a lot of people seem to have about this book but also like ulysses and gravity's rainbow and whatever.

It is a funny book and I read it without looking up references and really enjoyed it though I am sure I missed a ton. A book like Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow is fine to read, as well, without help but I have found that books like that seem all the more brilliant and wonderful when reading something to help you get a better grasp on some of the allusions.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

It's a bad approach that people seem to have on this forum that they can't just like well written books they have to get sad if they think the books are cleverer than them.

One time a guy in the Mieville thread posted that one of the stories in the new collection was bad because it was based around the tale of Orpheus and he had to google who Orpheus was and stories should be able to stand on their own

Speaking of reference-laden texts, have any of y'all read David Jones' The Anathemata

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 6, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Orpheus was a kind of Ancient Greek Batman

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Wtf I need to know the English language to read this book this is some supreme bullshit books should be able to stand on their own, transmitting pure thought directly into my brain.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

iccyelf posted:

I find a common mistake that some people make is trying to analyse every page or chapter as they go. I'm not much of a formalist but I do think that all you need to "get it" is read the words from start to finish. I would read to the end and see if I get it. If I don't then I'll move on and come back to it later. If you give up on a book then you are definitely never going to get it. If it is stressful though, it's probably better to read something pleasurable.

I think most people find it pretty stressful to read pages and pages of text that they don't get at all though
My #1 advice is to skip parts where you are getting lost, there's no shame in skipping, even my professors admit doing it

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

mallamp posted:

My #1 advice is to skip parts where you are getting lost, there's no shame in skipping, even my professors admit doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUk19cWarI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It is a funny book and I read it without looking up references and really enjoyed it though I am sure I missed a ton. A book like Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow is fine to read, as well, without help but I have found that books like that seem all the more brilliant and wonderful when reading something to help you get a better grasp on some of the allusions.

I pretty much gave up on Baudolino because it's just a somewhat stodgy adventure story if you're not familiar with all the history the title character's Forrest Gump'ing his way through.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

University of Helsinki., it's top100, barely, but still
Of course you can skip stuff, don't be a slave to the text

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CestMoi posted:

Wtf I need to know the English language to read this book this is some supreme bullshit books should be able to stand on their own, transmitting pure thought directly into my brain.
Agreed.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
For me, it depends on the book. I've found that I'm enjoying this first read through of Ulysses a lot if I read the sparknotes summary first, then the chapter, then the analysis. Sometimes if it's doing a really strange thing with language I'll read parts of the analysis just to know why as I'm reading. It's nice to get a complete-ish picture of what's happening, and it's better than feeling lost.

Whenever I do look stuff up though, I always have this weird mixture of pride at the confirmation of what I took from it being "correct", and annoyance that I couldn't spot everything. I always need to remind myself that a) it's not about being "correct", and b) not understanding all of loving Ulysses doesn't make me a moron.

For Master and Margarita I'd felt like I was alright going in without much advanced knowledge; just a general knowledge of Russian culture at the time (particularly state enforced atheism) should be enough I feel.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Quagga posted:

Have any of you read The Master and the Margarita? I tried reading it a couple months ago -and was digging it- but I felt like I needed a companion to understand all the Russian poo poo... so I stopped reading it. I felt like I was missing some of the humor either due to culture differences or the translation I was reading. Any tips on that one since I'm stupid?

The book is funny and entertaining independent of the satirical points it tries to make. I know dick about Russia in general and I still found it worth a read. It's a farcical fantasy story at the core of it.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
I always joke that The Master and Margarita's humor, especially Behemoth, seemed like a weird 1920s prophecy of the internet-age, non-sequitur heavy, frequently dark/violent humor. Definitely the most "modern" comedic work I've read from before 1950 or so.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I always joke that The Master and Margarita's humor, especially Behemoth, seemed like a weird 1920s prophecy of the internet-age, non-sequitur heavy, frequently dark/violent humor. Definitely the most "modern" comedic work I've read from before 1950 or so.

The whole theater scene felt like it should have been animated.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Heath posted:

The whole theater scene felt like it should have been animated.

That's what your imagination is for

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my imagination is for envisioning the precise hex color value of various members of the sonic extended universe, and their maximum velocities.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

blue squares posted:

That's what your imagination is for

"Could have" rather than "should have" is probably more accurate. The book feels like it could have been a Don Bluth production.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mallamp posted:

I think most people find it pretty stressful to read pages and pages of text that they don't get at all though

If you need to practice skipping parts of books, start with the John Galt speech

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

If you need to practice skipping parts of books, start with the John Galt speech

start with the whole book, my man.

Has anyone here read all of Roberto Bolano's books? I've read the Savage Detectives & 2666 like 3x each, and a few of his other novels, which were also good. I think I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna catch em all. Do any of them stink, or what? I bet they're all good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

2666 is poo poo

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blue squares posted:

2666 is poo poo
A friend recommended it (although I'm not sure if he's actually read it, he has a weird habit of recommending me random things he hears about), but from reading up on it I've learned it's a posthumous work. Is that why it's poo poo? Or is there some bigger issue with Bolano?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's boring and pointless

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Nakar posted:

A friend recommended it (although I'm not sure if he's actually read it, he has a weird habit of recommending me random things he hears about), but from reading up on it I've learned it's a posthumous work. Is that why it's poo poo? Or is there some bigger issue with Bolano?

The bigger issue is that forums poster blue squares is wrong and 2666 is good, which you will be able to confirm, when you read it.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

david crosby posted:

start with the whole book, my man.

Has anyone here read all of Roberto Bolano's books? I've read the Savage Detectives & 2666 like 3x each, and a few of his other novels, which were also good. I think I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna catch em all. Do any of them stink, or what? I bet they're all good.

well, The Third Reich was alright, but nothing more than that, really. the book, too. makes sense it was among his first proper attempts at long-form fiction. on the other hand, it's about grognard military board games, which gives it some goon+ points

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

The bigger issue is that forums poster blue squares is wrong and 2666 is good, which you will be able to confirm, when you read it.

This

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

david crosby posted:

I liked Nazi Literature in the Americas a lot. It's basically short stories presented as entries in an encyclopedia, some funny, some chilling, some surreal. It's also his most accessible book but that probably shouldn't really be relevant to someone who managed to struggle through 2666.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 7, 2016

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

2666 is poo poo

Wrong.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
What exactly makes a book pointless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

well, The Third Reich was alright, but nothing more than that, really. the book, too. makes sense it was among his first proper attempts at long-form fiction. on the other hand, it's about grognard military board games, which gives it some goon+ points

Yeah, the Third Reich is the least interesting of his books I've read. It does have this cool feeling of extreme but subsumed evil that Bolaņo does best, but to me, it was never really artistically satisfying why it is was there. Like iirc the dude with the burns who starts to beat the main character at the boardgame is clearly gonna torture & punish our main dude for losing. Why though? Bcuz our main dude is playing as the nazis? I guess, it seems a little too 'clear cut' as a reason for limitless unfair interpersonal violence, whereas in 2666, where the women are killed for no explicit reason, it's much scarier, plus u have to read between the lines and imagine why and who would do that, which makes it more real 2 me. Idk if that makes sense, 2666 is a masterpiece, forums poster 'Blue Squares' just doesn't get it.