Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Your Computer posted:

So I'm doing my Bone Fist run now, and while the power stanced moveset is way :krad: it seems like two-handing the fist is your best bet in PvE when it comes to.. pretty much everything. Even with the Stone Ring the power stanced moveset just isn't staggering enemies enough to get combos off, while the two-handed moveset staggers on the first attack and then just stunlocks pretty much anything. It's also a beast against bosses since the R2 deals crazy amounts of damage, while the power stanced attacks take so long you're just asking to get hit.

Of course, the hadouken has plenty of uses and I use that as much as I can :swoon:

e: the two-handed R2 did a friggin quarter of Mytha's health :magical:

what's your stat build like for this? I've been wanting to do a fist run.

Also curious what your listed damage is right now in the character sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tabletops posted:

what's your stat build like for this? I've been wanting to do a fist run.

Also curious what your listed damage is right now in the character sheet

With Rob+2, Flynn's, and dex/str in the 30s, you can get ~300-ish with fist weapons (a bit over for the Caestus and a bit under for the Bone fist). Very good considering how rapid fire the normal fist powerstance l1 is, and the bone fist's high (150) counter bonus allows you to deal a lot of damage with it if you time your attacks well.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Even if you go in there with 5 minutes worth of torch the zombies drop torches like candy and there are some you can pick up as well. I always leave that place with another extra hour of torch time than i came in with.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Gutter would be actually awesome if a) no torch time limit and b) none of those fuckin dogs.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I hate that the dogs and the crystal lizards are just straight up not in a lot of weapon's hitboxes. Really makes the awful tracking in this game apparent.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Genocyber posted:

With Rob+2, Flynn's, and dex/str in the 30s, you can get ~300-ish with fist weapons (a bit over for the Caestus and a bit under for the Bone fist). Very good considering how rapid fire the normal fist powerstance l1 is, and the bone fist's high (150) counter bonus allows you to deal a lot of damage with it if you time your attacks well.

Thats impressive. I think I barely clear 400 with my warped sword right now. with rob+flynn. Ice rapier's at like 370. I have 45 dex too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

fennesz posted:

I hate that the dogs and the crystal lizards are just straight up not in a lot of weapon's hitboxes. Really makes the awful tracking in this game apparent.

This is true in every Souls game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Gutter is loving awesome but it doesn't hold a Torch to Blighttown. Blighttown is the pinnacle of "the player will hate this but it is also incredibly clever" design, I love it so much.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Orv posted:

This is true in every Souls game.

The abysmal tracking in DS2 really exacerbates it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats a good bow I can use for sniping things? i used the dragonrider greatbow last game but I'm upgrading dex this time

I've been invaded a massive amount compared with previous games its a bit strange and they're generally all pretty poo poo. I'm just using an uchigatana 2h but I guess with the stone ring it stunlocks really effectively where I am

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 6, 2016

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jose posted:

Whats a good bow I can use for sniping things? i used the dragonrider greatbow last game but I'm upgrading dex this time

I've been invaded a massive amount compared with previous games its a bit strange and they're generally all pretty poo poo. I'm just using an uchigatana 2h but I guess with the stone ring it stunlocks really effectively where I am

Use the Hunter's Blackbow if you're running a Dex build. Use the Longbow until you get to Drangleic.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Sea bow is p loving good too if you can farm it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are there any good dex weapons early on in the crown of teh ivory king dlc? I've just killed the smelter demon and have the heavy iron key. Or the sunken king since I can probably do that reasonably soon too. I know the puzzling stone sword is in it but I'm not sure how far in

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Jose posted:

Are there any good dex weapons early on in the crown of teh ivory king dlc? I've just killed the smelter demon and have the heavy iron key. Or the sunken king since I can probably do that reasonably soon too. I know the puzzling stone sword is in it but I'm not sure how far in

Ice Rapier and Loyce Greatsword are good.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Looks like all I had to do was roll through some jugs and bam there's black gulch. That was a test of endurance.

I'm beginning to feel the bad choices I made on my character this far into the game. I did get my second soul vessel from the sadbrains guy in Majula, so I'm wanting to look for the best dex/faith builds to capitalize on my +10 lightning heide spear. Or, if my lightning heide spear is just not all that, I'd dig some other suggestions for dex/faith build weapons. So far role playing as a Heide Knight has been fun, because the set looks great.

Would a good idea be to just respec for the sun sword and do a dex/str build? Go straight physical with that nifty sword, or stick with dex/faith? I managed to get sun spear, but the faith requirements to get it are gently caress off high, and you only get 2 shots so who knows if that's worth it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
ever since they nerfed lightening faith has been underwhelming. Magic/Dex works better. For pure dex weapons give the ol rapier a try, or the blacksteel katana, and later the ice rapier. I have tried sun sword with a pure str/dex dude but found myself using maces/greatsword/katanas more with that build. I do enjoy pure physical builds, the work very well in the DLC.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 6, 2016

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I want Forlorn's insane scythe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Iserlohn posted:

Oh man, I want Forlorn's insane scythe.

Kill four of them and then kill a scythe wielding one, Straid will sell it.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Gonna ask a dumb question but as I don't know the answer and can't seem to confirm it online, might as well ask it here.

If I level my spell staff to say, +5, will it make my Magic Weapon enchant stronger? Or does that not matter? Trying to decide where to allocate my resources as I can now use MW and soon GMW. If upgrading my spell stick doesn't help my buff spells, then I'll spend those upgrades elsewhere.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Tensokuu posted:

Gonna ask a dumb question but as I don't know the answer and can't seem to confirm it online, might as well ask it here.

If I level my spell staff to say, +5, will it make my Magic Weapon enchant stronger? Or does that not matter? Trying to decide where to allocate my resources as I can now use MW and soon GMW. If upgrading my spell stick doesn't help my buff spells, then I'll spend those upgrades elsewhere.

Most buffs have some scaling element relating to duration or the value of the effect. Upgrading your spell stick is usually a good idea.

Edit: Hah I actually went and looked up the numbers out of curiosity and it looks like weapon buffs tend to scale with your base stats, not with your casting item. Welp!

Senethro fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 6, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

As I understand it, unless it hurts someone it doesn't matter what your AR is with a catalyst.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Did FROM ever fix the mouse lag issue on PC using keyboard/mouse, or do people still use autohotkey fixes like:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23zq0s/mousekeyboard_fix/

?

edit: also,
What's PC multiplayer in DS2 like these days? Do blue bros show up on red invasions? are summon signs frequent?

Elerion
May 31, 2011
SOTFS multiplayer is vibrant, summon signs everywhere. Vanilla DS2 I don't know, but I expect it's pretty barren.

Blue bros on red invasions are very rare though, since few players wear the rings after the first couple of hours. You'll see some action if you rush to the Old Dragonslayer and become a bellbro early.

No idea on M/KB issues. Just get a controller, if you ask me.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You won't get that many guardian summons but wearing the ring will definitely get you some. I just keep it on while doing invasions and I usually get 3 or 4 per 100 orbs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Gutter's not too bad.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
It becomes rather homely after most sconces have been lit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Unless I want the items, I usually just run through it to the second bonfire, jump down and move on the gulch :v: You can get through it extremely quickly if you know the path, and if you don't know the path I'm sure there are youtube videos showing it.

I did like taking my time going through it in my first SotFS playthrough though, holding a torch the entire time. In fact I love how SotFS makes you actually use the torch in general :3:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I keep getting my rear end kicked by the pursuer. What is the general strategy for him? I can never get the ballistas to work.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

blackguy32 posted:

I keep getting my rear end kicked by the pursuer. What is the general strategy for him? I can never get the ballistas to work.

Learn to roll.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Last second rolling towards and past him when he starts his swing. If you have enough ADP your i-frames in your roll will get you through it without taking damage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

It's extremely easy to parry his charge attack. Get a buckler or target shield, parry his charge attack, hit him once or twice, run away to trigger his charge attack and repeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

It's extremely easy to parry his charge attack. Get a buckler or target shield, parry his charge attack, hit him once or twice, run away to trigger his charge attack and repeat.

His charge attack can also be avoided simply by stepping forward and to the right. That's how I killed him on my fist-only run before I got the Caestus, just walk away from him so he'll charge, step to the side, hit him twice, walk away, rinse and repeat. Took ages but it's probably the easiest way to beat him (more so if you have a weapon) :v:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Your Computer posted:

His charge attack can also be avoided simply by stepping forward and to the right. That's how I killed him on my fist-only run before I got the Caestus, just walk away from him so he'll charge, step to the side, hit him twice, walk away, rinse and repeat. Took ages but it's probably the easiest way to beat him (more so if you have a weapon) :v:

^ Forward to the right is the best way to dodge all of his attacks, actually. Except the cursed sword one. That one should be dodged by ranging it (just backing up out of the range) or strafing to the right. I've noticed the hitbox on it is a bit larger than the sword, which means rolling forward and right can get you clipped occasionally which sucks.

as an aside, just got to do my fourth bell tower invasion on this character a minute or so ago. was a guy named "CHEATING" and he was in fact, cheating. Was invulnerable to damage while being naked.

my third invasion, the guy pulled his ethernet cord. the second one, I just died like a bitch to someone a lot better than me. First one, dude was lagging extremely badly. just warping all over the place. I saw him get backstabbed, take no damage get up and backstab the other guy. maybe 30 seconds later I just die. then the host dies as I'm dying to the backstab he took 2 minutes before.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 6, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
And I beat him. Not too tough once I stopped trying to use the ballistas

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This strategy regarding the ballistae works 100% of the time.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tabletops posted:

^ Forward to the right is the best way to dodge all of his attacks, actually. Except the cursed sword one. That one should be dodged by ranging it (just backing up out of the range) or strafing to the right. I've noticed the hitbox on it is a bit larger than the sword, which means rolling forward and right can get you clipped occasionally which sucks.
Just get close and circle him counter-clockwise. Don't dodge roll, or sprint, just lock-on get in as close as possible and circle strafe to the player's right. He'll whiff big, and since you're not recovering out of a roll you can immediately punish the attack.

This works for a lot of pursuer's attacks. The lunging slash in particular is just as vulnerable, and works even with a little bit of distance since pursuer covers a good bit of ground when performing the slash itself. As long as you're strafing toward the right, and moving toward pursue when it lunges (too far away and it'll get you) he'll sail right on by and be ripe for punishment.

First attack on pursuer's combos can be avoided by simply pressing up close and circle strafing counter clockwise. I think it may technically be possible to avoid the shield bash follow-up by backing away, but you need to be so close to avoid the first since without a dodge that it's not worth it. The third overhead slash can also be avoided with the same counter-clockwise strafe. I usually just roll through all of the combo, because the timing is tighter but it is technically possible to just circle strafe some of it.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 6, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Should I mundane stone my +10 sun sword? I really dig the A/A STR/DEX scaling on it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Should I mundane stone my +10 sun sword? I really dig the A/A STR/DEX scaling on it

Mundane ruins the scaling too. You might be able to get some sort of use out of it because the Sun Sword is fairly fast, but it's not a great choice. Mundane is best used on daggers and other extremely quick weapons that have low base damage/scaling, so they fully appreciate the flat damage bonus granted by Mundane.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

no, that's not how mundane works. It bases scaling off of your lowest stat (out of all of them) or something. Just +10 is all you should do with it, I think. maybe get a flynn's ring and rob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Why do people bitch about the DLC bosses so much? There are some real doozies in there, but nothing that felt unfair to me. Fume Knight and Sinh in particular were great fights. Sinh feels like what Ancient Dragon should've been. Super fast, super aggressive, but no gimmicky bullshit to work around and a reasonable amount of health.

OIK had plenty of rage moments for me, but nothing to do with the bosses.