Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't know how anyone can hate D'Whatever (LOL!!! ;) ) when he's such a loving chameleon. I didn't even recognize him in Jurassic World and I knew he was in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's funny because I think he looks basically the same all the time. Although his weight fluctuates throughout his career a little bit. He's way thinner in The Cell and MiB than most of his other roles. Which makes his face look a bit different. He's obviously a lot heavier in Full Metal Jacket.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Snak posted:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Full Metal Jacket, Jurassic World, Men in Black, The Cell.

It's funny, I've had about three different girls tell me that they don't watch criminal intent because "I don't like that guy".

Edit: Homicide: Life on the Streets.

Out of all these I've only seen Men in Black.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

That's funny because I think he looks basically the same all the time. Although his weight fluctuates throughout his career a little bit. He's way thinner in The Cell and MiB than most of his other roles. Which makes his face look a bit different. He's obviously a lot heavier in Full Metal Jacket.

It was a record weight gain for a role at the time and took him something like a year to lose.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The facial hair of his in Jurassic World was a new one. And I had just seen him in Daredevil, so it's not like I had completely forgotten what he looked like, it's just that he's so good at acting that he can switch up roles like that and not be immediately recognizable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No you're right, he's good and I have done double takes at some of his roles, I guess it's more than once you know it's him you can't unsee how much it's him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think we'll see Fisk in season two at all, but if the last episode doesn't end with Matt arriving home to his apartment building destroyed I will be utterly shocked.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Snak posted:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Full Metal Jacket, Jurassic World, Men in Black, The Cell.

It's funny, I've had about three different girls tell me that they don't watch criminal intent because "I don't like that guy".

My personal headcanon is that Fisk is actually Detective Goren, who got WAY too into character (as usual) when trying to take over and then dismantle the criminal networks in Hell's Kitchen, which he was fairly successful at doing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Karen Page is literally DEAD WOMEN WALKING ever since she shot Wesley.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

mikeraskol posted:

It's D'Onofrio. He's a well known actor, you may have heard of him before.

It's so weird how many conversations I've had about this: people who've never seen or heard of Vincent D'Onofrio. I mean, without him, Full Metal Jacket is pretty much a waste of time. Kubrick praised the poo poo out of him, thought he'd be "Lon Chaney big" as a character actor. He's excellent.

And you might not like his take on Kingpin, but it's definitely considered. He plays him as a giant baby, but he also really sells the conflict behind that persona. The entire point behind his last speech is coming to terms with the reality that his high-minded idealism is at odds with his base, violent methods. It's central to his character that the finery he surrounds himself with, his uncomfortably formal style, is all illusion; inside, he's the same goony 12-year-old who beat his dad to death with a hammer. He's a villain who wishes he wasn't...it's an extremely interesting direction to take the character.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Xealot posted:

It's so weird how many conversations I've had about this: people who've never seen or heard of Vincent D'Onofrio. I mean, without him, Full Metal Jacket is pretty much a waste of time. Kubrick praised the poo poo out of him, thought he'd be "Lon Chaney big" as a character actor. He's excellent.

And you might not like his take on Kingpin, but it's definitely considered. He plays him as a giant baby, but he also really sells the conflict behind that persona. The entire point behind his last speech is coming to terms with the reality that his high-minded idealism is at odds with his base, violent methods. It's central to his character that the finery he surrounds himself with, his uncomfortably formal style, is all illusion; inside, he's the same goony 12-year-old who beat his dad to death with a hammer. He's a villain who wishes he wasn't...it's an extremely interesting direction to take the character.

Because of this thread I just looked him up and yeah, I didn't recognize him in any of his previous roles either. Which means he's a really good actor. I had to look up a photo to even see who he was played in Jurassic World, but then I don't remember anything about that movie beyond Star Lord the Motorcycle Alpha.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Taken in isolation, the flashbacks are rather broadly drawn.

But they're not meant to be taken alone. Fisk's flashbacks are held up as the mirror image of Murdock's.

Fisk's father is an absolute rear end in a top hat, but he ultimately gets the son he wanted. Matt's Dad is a flawed guy, but fundamentally a decent human being. And what does his son become? A fighter, the one thing his father never wanted for him.

Taken together, Wilson's goals suddenly make sense. He says he wants to save the city - and later he tries to argue he just wants power. What Wilson really wants is to erase his father's memory by destroying the Hell's Kitchen he grew up in.

That self-loathing contrasts well with Matt's guilt. Murdock throws on hockey pads and beats the everloving poo poo out of criminals because it allows him to honor who his father was while keeping Hell's Kitchen the same place that gave him such a great childhood.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Snak posted:

nobody knows he was in Men In Black. Edgar looks way too weird

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HIJK posted:

Out of all these I've only seen Men in Black.

Watch Full Metal Jacket immediately.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Watch half of Full Metal Jacket immediately.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apoplexy posted:

People who say this tend to miss the message of the movie.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've only seen FMJ once, and I was like 17. So I didn't get the movie fully. M I C K E Y M O U S E

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

computer parts posted:

People who say this tend to miss the message of the movie.

Plus they'd miss Animal Mother.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Apoplexy posted:

Are you dumb?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Deakul posted:

Are you dumb?

No, I said I didn't get the film because I was too young when I saw it. I would likely understand it better now as a 30-something than as a teenager.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Full Metal Jacket is even on Netflix this month! (In the US at least).

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Edit: Never mind.

To get the thread back on track, does Shang-Chi have a lot of crossover with Iron Fist? Is there a classic story that includes both of them?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 6, 2016

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Apoplexy posted:

No, I said I didn't get the film because I was too young when I saw it. I would likely understand it better now as a 30-something than as a teenager.
You really should watch it again sometime. I first saw it around 17 too and the second half pretty much flew over my head then.

That said the first half still dominates the movie just because D'Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey turn in the two best performances of the whole thing. It's hard not to feel like the back half is missing something even though there's nothing exactly wrong with it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

AtraMorS posted:

You really should watch it again sometime. I first saw it around 17 too and the second half pretty much flew over my head then.

That said the first half still dominates the movie just because D'Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey turn in the two best performances of the whole thing. It's hard not to feel like the back half is missing something even though there's nothing exactly wrong with it.

The other issue is that, until the very end, the second half slows down a lot. So if you're not invested in the message, it's not a great experience.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

You forgot his best role: Thor.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Edit: Never mind.

To get the thread back on track, does Shang-Chi have a lot of crossover with Iron Fist? Is there a classic story that includes both of them?

Not to my knowledge but the shows don't always follow source material for supporting cast. Patsy/Hellcat has almost no real comic book basis to even be associated with Jessica Jones. In ALIAS, that role is filled by Ms. Marvel or Spider-Woman, both of whom have a variety of reasons why they won't be on MCU TV anytime soon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mikeraskol posted:

They had a few crossovers...

... but their individual comics series were relatively short lived so they spent a couple decades turning up as guest stars in other characters' titles and they've crossed over with almost all the Marvel universe at some point.

There was a rumour going around the last few days that Netflix was looking for an Asian male to play Shang-Chi in Iron Fist but that's been shot down now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i love the sound effects

SLAKT

PRAKSH

STOK RIPT

KRASH

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

i love the sound effects

SLAKT

PRAKSH

STOK RIPT

KRASH

It works amazingly well with your avatar.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I can't believe NO VINCENT D'ONOFRIO (maybe he'll appear for 1 or 2 episode ... but STILL, WTF?!)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Can of Cloud posted:

I can't believe NO VINCENT D'ONOFRIO (maybe he'll appear for 1 or 2 episode ... but STILL, WTF?!)

We really don't know who the final villain is. It's obviously not Frank or Elektra. But we went into season 1 with basically no information on anything, so I'm surprised we know this much.

Matt has obviously upped his game, so Fisk better bring Starlord and his velociraptors this time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dj_clawson posted:

It's obviously not Frank or Elektra.

Why not Frank out of interest?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I quite like the idea of him returning for the finale. He's so good that I worry about him overshadowing Daredevil. That's what happened to Thor and Jessica Jones. The villain performance is so good that the hero becomes secondary. I'd be totally okay with The Punisher being...not the final boss, but the penultimate one. Like I said earlier, we have to get Daredevil/Punisher/Elektra vs something or we were robbed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Either Fisk is going to return at the end or they're gonna tease Bullseye or something. Or maybe the Hand is actually just the main villain, they did tease The Beast first season right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Can of Cloud posted:

Excuse me but, his name is Vincent D'Whatever

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
If people wanna see another awesome Vincent D'Onofrio performance, he plays a great menacing and over-the-top villain in The Salton Sea.

Also, I never knew that people not liking the second half of Full Metal Jacket was even a thing that could be possible, so many insanely good, iconic scenes and it even provided one of the best rap samples ever used.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

savinhill posted:

If people wanna see another awesome Vincent D'Onofrio performance, he plays a great menacing and over-the-top villain in The Salton Sea.

Also, I never knew that people not liking the second half of Full Metal Jacket was even a thing that could be possible, so many insanely good, iconic scenes and it even provided one of the best rap samples ever used.

It's also simply one of the stronger examples of well-executed paradigm shifts in all of film. It's beautifully done, as each horror emotionally disarms the viewer.

Sucks that Shang-Chi bidness turned out to be an unfounded rumor. I was gonna pull out the crystal ball and everything.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plus they'd miss Animal Mother.

For a long time I always got D'Onfrio and Adam Baldwin (Animal Mother) mixed up.

D'Onfrio's performance is by far my favorite in the Daredevil series. The whole drat cast was really good.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

Why not Frank out of interest?

Well, what's the endgame if it's Frank?

(1) Matt kills Frank - Nope (Frank is getting his own show)
(2) Matt puts Frank in jail - Nope (Frank is getting his own show)
(3) Matt convinces Frank not to kill people anymore - Nope (He would stop being the Punisher)
(4) Matt convinces Frank to leave NYC and continue his reign of terror elsewhere - not much of an ending.

So clearly there's a big bad guy we haven't seen yet. Like Doomsday in Dawn of Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dj_clawson posted:

(2) Matt puts Frank in jail - Nope (Frank is getting his own show)

That doesn't stop him from getting his own show