Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

hire me to make comedy for you lowtax here is my resume:

✓ once told good joke(s)
✓ own a computer
✓ I am not your friend and never will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
change Radiums user name to something else
i want to see what parts of the forum breaks for no reason

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

zen death robot posted:

Yeah honestly I spent a weekend considering it, going over the code and looking at the db schema and I still kinda wonder if it's just not better to use the DB as a framework to hang a whole new thing off of but hoooly poo poo that's what drove radium off the deep end I think so I'm kind of avoiding thinking about that right now. I think scrapping it all is probably too drastic, even if there's a part of me and everyone else who has ever stared into the abyss who has been tempted to think that's the way to go. Rewriting it in chunks seems like a more workable way to go since at least you can set a realistic goal and accomplish it instead of having this seemingly impossible to reach goal of doing everything in one shot.

Not that you need this, but I agree.

Hell, I've seen two $10,000,000+ failed 'from scratch rewrites' in my day jobs, and I'm just a designer. In both cases they just gave up and started refactoring the existing software - you know, the stuff that actually works now and generates billions of dollars - and got a hell of a lot more done.

Also, Joel. Joel agrees. http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

why would you waste perfectly good amphetamine on coding? such a waste

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Amphetamine should be used for marathon jacking sessions

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Radium on javascript libraries:

quote:

The biggest problem with most of these libraries is lack of documentation. I like Dojo, but its documentation is barely existant. They really need to put on the breaks and get some manual content fleshed out. Mochikit probably has the best documentation of the bunch

:ironicat:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

So how exactly did the actual firing go? I mean, you said he wasn't answering his phone, did you get him to pick up eventually or send an email or something? Also how much did he freak out?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

AnoHito posted:

So how exactly did the actual firing go? I mean, you said he wasn't answering his phone, did you get him to pick up eventually or send an email or something? Also how much did he freak out?
I don't recall. I think I had to leave him a voice mail. He called a day or so afterwards and he wasn't freaked out, he said he saw it coming because I had been getting increasingly angry at him for "no reason," so he guessed it was going to happen.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So did you get the logins before or after firing him?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pretty sure Lowtax had radium disappeared

rumour has it he sent his thugs after him and things got out of hand

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Was it too financially straining to have another coder alongside radium or it just wasn't considered? Though probably radium would never have let you bring someone else to poke around his mess.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

HardDisk posted:

Was it too financially straining to have another coder alongside radium or it just wasn't considered? Though probably radium would never have let you bring someone else to poke around his mess.

The one thing a bad engineer fears more than anything is a good engineer.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
how much did you pay him and was it per hour?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Lowtax posted:

It was my fault for hiring a friend who I thought I could trust and rely on.

This has happened to me and just about every other person in that position at least once. I'm reluctant to hire any friends now and make it clear that they aren't "friends with the boss" if I do.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Pretty sure Lowtax had radium disappeared

rumour has it he sent his goons after him and things got out of hand

ftfy

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

HardDisk posted:

Yes it cost too much to pay another coder, but I was at the point, multiple times, where I wanted to just swallow the cost and hire one anyway to get poo poo done. Unfortunately, radium REFUSED to work with anybody and refused to set up any sort of version control or ability for other users to edit anything. He even locked my account out of the php files. Since I was an idiot and thought he was a friend, I just trusted him and didn't suspect perhaps the reason he was so secretive was that he was doing a very poor job accomplishing things successfully.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lowtax posted:

Yes it cost too much to pay another coder, but I was at the point, multiple times, where I wanted to just swallow the cost and hire one anyway to get poo poo done. Unfortunately, radium REFUSED to work with anybody and refused to set up any sort of version control or ability for other users to edit anything. He even locked my account out of the php files. Since I was an idiot and thought he was a friend, I just trusted him and didn't suspect perhaps the reason he was so secretive was that he was doing a very poor job accomplishing things successfully.

Uh if that's true I would be worried about time bombs or backdoors in the code since that is very common in these situations.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
Lowtax
Did anyone ever offer to buy SomethingAwful back in the dot-com bubble days? If so, why did you refuse and do you regret your decision?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

PromethiumX posted:

Lowtax
Did anyone ever offer to buy SomethingAwful back in the dot-com bubble days? If so, why did you refuse and do you regret your decision?

Joke's on you! Something awful, along with the "Lowtax" persona, has been sold multiple times. The present "Lowtax" is actually 2 Korean grandmas in a wig.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I feel really bad for lowtax reading these but it seems like a lot of people with companies they start with friends go through something like this at some point or another

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

EVIR Gibson posted:

Uh if that's true I would be worried about time bombs or backdoors in the code since that is very common in these situations.

What do you think happens when there's no more trees to steal? Absolute mayhem, is what.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PromethiumX posted:

Lowtax

SA is actually owned by ebaumsworld.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

spankmeister posted:

SA is actually owned by ebaumsworld.

radium is a time traveler and actually lowtax's son from the future

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Lowtax posted:

quote:

(1:41 PM) Radium: it's especially bad when I'm working on major things that people can't see... I can do some 5-minute fix and people act like I'm baby jesus, but when I'm working crazy hours and writing really good code I get blasted with the hate ray :P

Boy, he sure was sensitive.

Was that the idea behind those two "anonymized" accounts he later took on? He couldn't work because people were so negative towards him, so it was a way to get him to work by pretending he was a new person so he wouldn't have to read mean things directed at him anymore?

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 6, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

He does seem like the ideal gs1 employee

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ethanol posted:

He does seem like the ideal gs1 employee

And that's where he will stay forever. A terrible gs1 that everybody hates.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

judge reinhold posted:

Boy, he sure was sensitive.

Was that the idea behind those two "anonymized" accounts he later took on? He couldn't work because people were so negative towards him, so it was a way to get him to work by pretending he was a new person so he wouldn't have to read mean things directed at him anymore?
Yes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

EVIR Gibson posted:

His entire codebase is a time bomb by accident. His lovely cron jobs that keep the forum database pruned after archival did not even check to see if a thread exists in the archives before pruning it (it could even just check the last-post date of the most recently archived thread) which resulted in the least surprising database disaster of all time. He explicitly used SSL 2.0 for connecting to the credit card processor instead of just letting it automatically select the protocol, which meant that as soon as SSL 2.0 was declared unsafe and disallowed by credit card processors, the entire store stopped working. I'm pretty sure radium just was a big ol dope that didn't really understand the concept of coding defensively or even really thinking ahead whatsoever.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

You are a good person at heart for accommodating that level of idiotic sensitivity.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Volte posted:

His entire codebase is a time bomb by accident. His lovely cron jobs that keep the forum database pruned after archival did not even check to see if a thread exists in the archives before pruning it (it could even just check the last-post date of the most recently archived thread) which resulted in the least surprising database disaster of all time. He explicitly used SSL 2.0 for connecting to the credit card processor instead of just letting it automatically select the protocol, which meant that as soon as SSL 2.0 was declared unsafe and disallowed by credit card processors, the entire store stopped working. I'm pretty sure radium just was a big ol dope that didn't really understand the concept of coding defensively or even really thinking ahead whatsoever.

its more common than you would think (coding "in the moment instead of seeing the big picture") most autistic drug addicts have a hard time with this. its more of an aquired skill (being a drug addict)

dad gay. so what fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 6, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lowtax, do you still have any friends or have they all been removed from your life by now

What was the latest news on Schmorky anyway? I heard he got into some hijinks with his psycho girlfriend

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Zzulu posted:

Lowtax, do you still have any friends or have they all been removed from your life by now

What was the latest news on Schmorky anyway? I heard he got into some hijinks with his psycho girlfriend
I've never in my life been really interested in having friends. I'm antisocial and honestly don't think it's worth it to put much effort into maintaining a friendship with people. I mean like I still talk to Frags and people I grew up with, but I never go hang out with anybody or do social poo poo because I'm maladjusted and generally undesirable to others.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ur such a goon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lowtax posted:

I've never in my life been really interested in having friends. I'm antisocial and honestly don't think it's worth it to put much effort into maintaining a friendship with people. I mean like I still talk to Frags and people I grew up with, but I never go hang out with anybody or do social poo poo because I'm maladjusted and generally undesirable to others.

Pff take it to E/N :rolleyes:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

we have a lot in common. we should be best friends

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Any day he'll snap and we'll log in to find the domain repurposed as a Chinese bulk grain export site.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Zzulu posted:

ur such a goon
Eh, I just do what I find enjoyable and don't worry about what other people think of it. I just don't have much interest in doing social stuff like going to bars or out to watch a sports game or that crud. Yeah I'm a goon and a recluse and an antisocial loser but hey, that's how it is.

Ragnarak
Jun 17, 2003
Are things so tied to Radium's Franken-VB that there's no way you can just go "gently caress it, we'll move everything to XenForo" or whatever?

"vanilla" VB was always a nightmare, I can't imagine how bad it got turned into if Radium re-wrote huge parts of it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Lowtax posted:

Eh, I just do what I find enjoyable and don't worry about what other people think of it. I just don't have much interest in doing social stuff like going to bars or out to watch a sports game or that crud. Yeah I'm a goon and a recluse and an antisocial loser but hey, that's how it is.

I'd like to sit in a separate room from you and play video games(bad or good) and maybe yell poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Lowtax posted:

ur my role model

• Locked thread