Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

yup if the app was compiled for old versions of iOS it'll get that iOS's look-and-feel too. so many APIs and visual assets change that they have to have that backwards compatibility in there or old apps would basically break or look totally hosed up, that's why they really want everyone to update, upgrade their poo poo and recompile their apps for new iOS versions. i wonder how long the backwards compatibility thing really goes for though. like would apps written back in 2009 or whatever still work on modern iOS? that'd be Microsoft levels of backwards compat which is totally not Apple's style.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

yup if the app was compiled for old versions of iOS it'll get that iOS's look-and-feel too. so many APIs and visual assets change that they have to have that backwards compatibility in there or old apps would basically break or look totally hosed up, that's why they really want everyone to update, upgrade their poo poo and recompile their apps for new iOS versions. i wonder how long the backwards compatibility thing really goes for though. like would apps written back in 2009 or whatever still work on modern iOS? that'd be Microsoft levels of backwards compat which is totally not Apple's style.

I had some apps from iOS 2 (original 3rd party support) still hanging around because ~nostalgia~ and they all stopped working with the upgrade to iOS 9. They all worked on iOS 8 however.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As soon as I see the text of the status bar get bigger, my eyes roll.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EL BROMANCE posted:

As soon as I see the text of the status bar get bigger, my eyes roll.

Delta....

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Have you all noticed what adjusting volume looks like during Instagram videos now? I really wish Apple would adopt this system-wide.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Mine just shows the regular volume OSD

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you mean the airline, then I think that is the exact app I most recently used that did it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pivo posted:

Apple doesn't care about preserving backwards compat but if you write a vanilla app using all the standard practices and APIs then it tends to keep working.

I never update my apps without a reason and I haven't noticed many issues.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

grahm posted:

Have you all noticed what adjusting volume looks like during Instagram videos now? I really wish Apple would adopt this system-wide.

Do you mean Snapchat? With the flat bars at the top of the screen?

I do wish they'd change the volume box system-wide. I don't know who thought having a huge box block the middle of your screen was a good idea.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I see it in Instagram now. That's slightly different from Snapchat's look, but the same idea.

Yeah, they should make that the official look.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 6, 2016

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
When I connect my iPhone 6s to my PC, iTunes says it needs to be updated to the latest version of iOS, but in the software update part of the iPhone's settings, it says it's already got the latest (9.2.1). What could be causing this? Anything to worry about?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Shazaminator posted:

When I connect my iPhone 6s to my PC, iTunes says it needs to be updated to the latest version of iOS, but in the software update part of the iPhone's settings, it says it's already got the latest (9.2.1). What could be causing this? Anything to worry about?

The same thing is happening with my iPhone 6 on the newest iTunes version. Curious to hear a reason behind it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

A newer version of 9.2.1 was released. It's exactly the same version it just fixes the error 53 bricking issue. Here's an article on the update: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/18/ios-9-2-1-build-13d20-ipad/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My iPhone loves to stop WiFi syncing randomly and iTunes loves to stop recognizing it over USB once in a blue moon. What I do is I make sure everything is updated, then I restart both the phone and the machine, and it magically starts working like nothing was ever the matter. iTunes sucks enough on OS X, it's worse on Windows in my experience. But that'd be my advice. Just restart everything. The way the iOS -> iTunes interface works is loving retarded, and a few times a year I am very jealous of Android users with their ability to just browse the file system.

Recently my friend asked me a question - her boyfriend was going away on a long trip (Navy) and she wanted to, um, put an album of pictures on his iPad. His iPad was unlocked (as in no passcode) but she didn't want to sync it to her machine, and she wanted to know the easiest way to get the photos onto his iPad without him knowing. We devised a plan where she created a new album in Photos and then grabbed her photos from Dropbox and added them to the album. You should just be able to move them over to your camera roll and then do a mass move to the album, but she couldn't figure that out, so what she ended up doing was SCREENSHOTTING every photo to get it in her camera roll and then cropping them with an app, then moving them into the album. If we could just mv remote/album/*.jpg local/album that'd have been loving fantastic, I really feel bad for how much effort she went through doing that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

A newer version of 9.2.1 was released. It's exactly the same version it just fixes the error 53 bricking issue. Here's an article on the update: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/18/ios-9-2-1-build-13d20-ipad/

Why this wasn't called 9.2.2 or 9.2.1.1 I don't know. "It's a different version with the same version number" who does that?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

Why this wasn't called 9.2.2 or 9.2.1.1 I don't know. "It's a different version with the same version number" who does that?

Think Different.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

But since his phone says he's got no updates and claims he's on the latest, he probably already did that update.

edit: Also, iTunes wouldn't whine about iOS not being up to date, it would give him a clickable 'Update' thing. If iTunes rejects your phone because it's too out of date, it thinks something is totally fubar. Being a few revisions out of date won't stop it coming up, when everything is working.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

shootforit posted:

The same thing is happening with my iPhone 6 on the newest iTunes version. Curious to hear a reason behind it.

I have the same issue with my 6s, but I'm not sure if I'm on the newest version of iTunes or not since I'm still on Yosemite.

I only connect the phone to my computer to charge, though, so I don't really care what iTunes thinks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bass Bottles posted:

Do you mean Snapchat? With the flat bars at the top of the screen?

I do wish they'd change the volume box system-wide. I don't know who thought having a huge box block the middle of your screen was a good idea.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I see it in Instagram now. That's slightly different from Snapchat's look, but the same idea.

Yeah, they should make that the official look.

I'm still seeing the same old one when a video with sound is playing, Instagram last updated for me on 29th Feb. How odd.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
just stepped up to saddle brown master race, why didn't I do this sooner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e.pilot posted:

just stepped up to saddle brown master race, why didn't I do this sooner

Because you just discovered your love of sex with children?

Sick gently caress.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Endless Mike posted:

Because you just discovered your love of sex with children?

Sick gently caress.

This is also accurate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Khablam posted:

Android has been doing this with their monthly security updates too, so you have to look at a separate build string to figure out what version you really have. Not a fan.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
So I went to an Apple Store to get my screen replaced (cracked) and now my touchId won't work. I can input a new one, but on the lock screen it doesn't even register if its the right or wrong thumbprint. I thought going through Apple meant that this wouldn't happen?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khablam posted:

Once it's actually installed it's the same software on your iPhone, no change.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FamDav posted:

So I went to an Apple Store to get my screen replaced (cracked) and now my touchId won't work. I can input a new one, but on the lock screen it doesn't even register if its the right or wrong thumbprint. I thought going through Apple meant that this wouldn't happen?

It's broken, take it back.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

withak posted:

It's broken, take it back.

Thanks!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

When you plug in your iPhone to charge and it sounds like the beginning of Blurred Lines 🤔🙄😑

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mine sounds nothing like that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

You know in your heart who it was.

Scott Forstall

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

When you plug in your iPhone to charge and it sounds like the beginning of Blurred Lines 🤔🙄😑

What

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Once it's actually installed it's the same software on your iPhone, no change.

Well no, or it wouldn't fix the issue.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

You know in your heart who it was.

Scott Forstall

Skeuomorphic dude did nothing wrong.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khablam posted:

Well no, or it wouldn't fix the issue.

The issue is just with the "iTunes installing the thing" part of the process, which is why this update doesn't exist over wi-fi. The fix addresses a fatal install error, nothing else. :science:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Bass Bottles posted:

I have the same issue with my 6s, but I'm not sure if I'm on the newest version of iTunes or not since I'm still on Yosemite.

I only connect the phone to my computer to charge, though, so I don't really care what iTunes thinks!

My wife just got a 6s+, and iTunes wouldn't recognize it until I updated her Macbook to El Capitan (which technically is the only way to run the newest versions of iTunes).

As for the poster who got the same error on a PC, I have no idea!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dewgy posted:

The issue is just with the "iTunes installing the thing" part of the process, which is why this update doesn't exist over wi-fi. The fix addresses a fatal install error, nothing else. :science:

Literally every bugfix ever just "fixes a thing and nothing else", including 9.2.1 which was given a different version number.
It's clearly a dumb oversight you don't need to defend Apple with some "it's the same because it's different" logical paradox.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Khablam posted:

Literally every bugfix ever just "fixes a thing and nothing else", including 9.2.1 which was given a different version number.
It's clearly a dumb oversight you don't need to defend Apple with some "it's the same because it's different" logical paradox.

Their point is that everything on the phone works exactly the same way. The only thing that the new build affects is the process of restoring from iTunes. If they had used a whole new version number, instead of differentiating it with the build number, either a bunch of non-Touch ID devices would have been prompted to install an unnecessary update or we'd have a situation where the latest software version for some iOS devices is 9.2.1 and for others it's 9.2.2, neither of which is ideal. Better to have a special version of 9.2.1 that's only downloaded and installed in instances where it's needed: when restoring an iOS device through iTunes. That way everybody is on the same version number, the devices that need the update get it, and the devices that don't don't.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Khablam posted:

Literally every bugfix ever just "fixes a thing and nothing else"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Khablam posted:

Literally every bugfix ever just "fixes a thing and nothing else",

As a guy in charge of some commercial software development. "I loving wish that were true"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Mine sounds nothing like that.

Yes it does

It does those two quick buzzes with the exact timing of the two buzzes at the start of Blurred Lines

DUN....DUN.....(Woo!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
In software development, versioning is arbitrary, it's usually up to the QA Lead to decide what constitutes a new version.

Apple's software (similar to projects I've worked on) adheres to the Main:point:subpoint:build scheme. You have a main version (e.g. 3.0), then a point release (e.g. 3.1), and, rarely, a sub-point (3.1.1). But all of these versions have build numbers. Mine is sequential, but Apple uses some wacky incrementing scheme. You don't think they cut the first 9.2.1 and released it, did you? No, each time it gets cut it gets an incrementing build. Whether the increment build is destined to be a version number increment is up to the guy managing the splits in the code. Most of the time you do not increment a version number for a single bugfix, a new build is cut. I've released newer builds of my product that are the same version, yet nevertheless are newer/fixed bugs.

It's perfectly valid to be an updated 9.2.1 with a higher build number, it is technically a newer version of the 9.2.1 branch.

All that aside, Apple's software update should behave the same OTA as in iTunes, IMO. All people eligible for the new 9.2.1 build should have gotten it regardless of the method.

Dudley posted:

As a guy in charge of some commercial software development. "I loving wish that were true"

same.