Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So work is already underway on various Pokemon related retextures. I, for one, will be replacing my cat with Meowth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So work is already underway on various Pokemon related retextures. I, for one, will be replacing my cat with Meowth.

This is the modding content I'm here for.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Mega64 posted:

How is modding coming along as far as adding/editing dialogue?

It's incredibly easy to edit dialogue. The formatting inside of the .xnb files is janky as hell, but it's all there in plain text to edit. From what I can see, I reckon adding to the general day-to-day dialogue would be easy enough, but I haven't tried it myself.

Is there something specific you're trying to do?

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 6, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Alakaiser posted:

It's incredibly easy to do so. The formatting inside of the .xnb files is janky as hell, but it's all there in plain text to edit. From what I can see, I reckon adding to the general day-to-day dialogue would be easy enough, but I haven't tried it myself.

Is there something specific you're trying to do?

Doubt I'll do anything myself, just curious as to whether to expect mods soon (or now even) that alter or add to the dialogue in any way. Thanks!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

How does one get Brown Chickens? Do I just need to buy one from Marnie and have it be random or something?

I'm trying to knock out the greenhouse by Fall 2 and I'm being held back by the animal stuff.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Just want to point out to people that the best food recipe is Lobster Bisque, it can be obtained from the tv, and only requires 1x Lobster + 1x Milk for +50 Max Energy, +3 Fishing, and +255 Energy/+90 Health.

It's sister, Chowder is also easy to make: Clam + Milk, no major benefits but great for restoring health and energy.

These two recipes are the only ones that can be made year-round despite giving massive benefits.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Chakan posted:

I didn't pull anywhere near 500g daily in spring 1 and while money is always an issue, I'm doing just fine. I suggest chilling out a little and just playing, but even if people had figured out how to min-max for most monetary gains in spring 1, it would probably be very little more than 500g daily. Fishing can pull in more than that, but then you're not developing mines or farming skill or foraging, so it's a tradeoff.

Oh I'm chillin', I just assumed from reading other posts in the thread that there was a solid way to make more money at the start. I probably would have much more money if I weren't chilling actually, after the first couple 3x3 plots of cauliflower I've kinda neglected farming anything. I also kept forgetting about the craft menu so I'm sure I lost a few of those to crows. I'm not a good farmer, but I AM cutting fuckers up in the mines :getin:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So glad I upgraded my pickax first instead of my water can or my crops would've been hosed.

Should I wait until Winter to upgrade the can or is it still needed during that season?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

JerikTelorian posted:

How does one get Brown Chickens? Do I just need to buy one from Marnie and have it be random or something?

I'm trying to knock out the greenhouse by Fall 2 and I'm being held back by the animal stuff.

I bought 4 from her and the first 2 were white, the second 2 brown. :shrug:

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

My dog decided to sit on my storage chests... best part is I can't use them till he moves. This game is getting to real.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So glad I upgraded my pickax first instead of my water can or my crops would've been hosed.

Should I wait until Winter to upgrade the can or is it still needed during that season?

Check the weather forecast on the TV, and upgrade it on a day where tomorrow's weather is rain (so you don't need to water).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Winter has it's own set of seeds for foraged items. That will take a little bit before you get them though.

You should be getting close to getting tier 2 sprinklers, right? Do you have access to iron, gold, and refined quartz?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just a reminder that on this Sunday afternoon there are currently 56,000 people playing this through Steam.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Mazz posted:

Just a reminder that on this Sunday afternoon there are currently 56,000 people playing this through Steam.

I constantly wonder, how did this game get so popular so fast? It's amazing and it totally deserves the attention, but did it get picked up by influential YouTubers or streamers pre-release?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Scambl posted:

I constantly wonder, how did this game get so popular so fast? It's amazing and it totally deserves the attention, but did it get picked up by influential YouTubers or streamers pre-release?

I think a lot of it was it topping the Steam charts right away through the people who knew what it was, and then it just exploded from there.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It broke the top ten most-playing list for the day too.

I'm not one of them today. I quit last night after the last day of winter and have to figure out how I want to lay out my crops for spring before I play again. Three irridium sprinklers, 24 strawberry seeds from the seedmaker, a gold watering can, and 20k gold to spend on seeds and better fertilizer.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Met posted:

You should be getting close to getting tier 2 sprinklers, right? Do you have access to iron, gold, and refined quartz?

No, I take it I have to go deeper into the mines? I'm at level 25.

I'm also still in the middle of Summer 1 so I still have plenty of time. I'm trying to gather enough materials and gold for a Coop.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:hellyeah:

God drat that was a hell of a battle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I'm also still in the middle of Summer 1 so I still have plenty of time. I'm trying to gather enough materials and gold for a Coop.

Oh you're just starting Summer! It sounded like you were coming up on Winter.

Iron is at level 40 and gold at level 80 and Refined Quartz can be made by putting Quartz in the furnace. You'll get the blueprint when your farming level is high enough.

But in the meantime, check your TV for rainy days, water your crops the day before and then give your watering can to Clint and you'll get it back the day after the rain.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

I do not recommend going for a coop at all until way later. Maybe Y2, depends on when you get hella money and how close winter is to that.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Was there an update last night? I've been using a 360 controller to play and every so often it gets weird when it can't detect a cursor, but it's even worse today and unplayable with it. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

willing to settle posted:

Apparently a 0.1% drop chance from most enemy types, anywhere in the mines. I am similarly sick of trying to find that loving scroll.

It was the first one I found :unsmigghh:

Where do I get bouquets once I get someone to six hearts?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The White Dragon posted:

It was the first one I found :unsmigghh:

Where do I get bouquets once I get someone to six hearts?

Pierre sells them but I think it's eight hearts, not six.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Mazz posted:

I think a lot of it was it topping the Steam charts right away through the people who knew what it was, and then it just exploded from there.

I imagine a lot of that was helped by the fact there was no pre-sale. I know I bought it minutes after it launched along with a few thousand other people. That slammed it right to the top of the sales charts. The Division finally knocked it down a peg since it's launching tomorrow night.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
A buddy gifted me this but I haven't been playing it since my mobo is out on RMA. I've been making do with Rune Factory 4 but I'm not too far away from getting started. I can't keep up with the thread at the rate it's going and didn't see anything of particular use in the OP. Is there any consensus on good beginner tips?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Thor-Stryker posted:

Just want to point out to people that the best food recipe is Lobster Bisque, it can be obtained from the tv, and only requires 1x Lobster + 1x Milk for +50 Max Energy, +3 Fishing, and +255 Energy/+90 Health.

It's sister, Chowder is also easy to make: Clam + Milk, no major benefits but great for restoring health and energy.

These two recipes are the only ones that can be made year-round despite giving massive benefits.

The max energy thing is limited time only though, and doesn't seem all that useful of a benefit, as you could just wait to use up a little energy and then eat it. Someone posted something similar earlier about getting a fancy food from a trash can so I splurged and bought the self-same food from the traveling merchant and was super sad to have wasted my money.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

:rock:

Ironically, I guess it gave up? I mean, it was a dick the first several tries, but on that last one partway through it just dropped to the bottom and stayed there.

That's 3/5. Now just Mutant Carp and Legend (Dun duuuuuuuun) to go.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Meldonox posted:

A buddy gifted me this but I haven't been playing it since my mobo is out on RMA. I've been making do with Rune Factory 4 but I'm not too far away from getting started. I can't keep up with the thread at the rate it's going and didn't see anything of particular use in the OP. Is there any consensus on good beginner tips?

Don't go into animals until way later and even then, build a silo first.

Get the backpack upgrade and then the pickaxe and then go from there.

You'll only be able to plant whatever limited wild seeds you can manage in winter, so you might want to save finishing off the Cave until then. I wish I did!

Don't worry about it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
By the way, how exactly does the Greenhouse work in regards to season? I know it ignores them, but normally when you end a season, anything you've fertilized loses it's fertilizer, and I'm wondering if the Greenhouse ever loses it.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
On the goon wiki someone has locked the fish tab, but I just caught a Sturgeon in the Winter but the wiki says it is Summer only. Can someone change it?

Also, your refrigerator stores items that will automatically get consumed when you make stuff in your kitchen, you don't have to put the food ingredients in your inventory.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Scambl posted:

Word of mouth, too. I saw this thread, then 3 friends told me about it, then a gamer group I'm a part of on facebook starting talking about it, and so on, and so on....

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

PhantomZero posted:

On the goon wiki someone has locked the fish tab, but I just caught a Sturgeon in the Winter but the wiki says it is Summer only. Can someone change it?

Also, your refrigerator stores items that will automatically get consumed when you make stuff in your kitchen, you don't have to put the food ingredients in your inventory.

It's actually Summer/Winter.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Christmas tree up in the middle of summer? DGAF

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Eschers Basement posted:

::runs into thread, grabs a cow by the face, screams "my farmer, have you tried Pepper Poppers???"::

Holy poo poo those things. Stock up on Hot Peppers in Summer, people, because once you have a cow and regular cheese production you can eat a Pepper Popper every morning for +1 speed and +2 farming until mid-afternoon, letting you do serious agriculture for less energy and less time. And you can start staying up until past 1, because who cares if you lose energy in the morning? You're going to pop some Pepper Poppers and get in right back.

Edit: to clarify, that's not "I swing my sword faster" speed, that's "run from one end of the farm to the other" speed

The best part is that +speed food stacks with Coffee, which for some reason isn't considered a food buff. So you can have +2 speed all the time if you're willing to spend all your money on Coffee. It's not very good for planting work though because +2 speed is just a hair too fast and when you're planting seeds by running, you'll sometimes skip a square, unlike when you're only on +1.

Also found out that you don't need the bouquet to date someone. I gave Elliot a gift he loved, and apparently the +3 hearts from getting something they love for their birthday bypasses the limit on 8 hearts and sends them straight to 10 hearts.

That was an... interesting boat ride.... I'm so sorry, Abigail.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Finally got the minecarts up and running after I realized the last bundle only needs slimes and bat wings, and not any of the essences :downs:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

nonpromqueen posted:

Christmas tree up in the middle of summer? DGAF

Tangentially related, I upgraded my farmhouse recently and while I understand why my fireplace is immobile I really wish I could move my bed.

Just hit my first winter so I've been feeding the fireplace. Cozy gaming. :unsmith:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

so apparently weeds spreading can destroy cobblestone roads, had 2 sitting next to my road near the south exit to the farm that i rode past, the next day a 3rd sprang up in an adjacent tile, destroying the cobblestone path that was there :argh: wish I had taken a screenshot for proof, I just kinda scythed it down immediately.

Also god drat is irridium rare, it almost seems like the best way to get it is to farm the magma geodes, I sure the gently caress haven't seen any from the desert cave despite multiple dives to floor 30+ and one to 50+. Still no meaningful rewards from that dump at all that make it seem worth doing over the easier mines.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I got into animals as soon as I could and aside from scrambling for a silo, I've been having a great time. Never min max! Always do whatever. If you want chickens, you buy chickens.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I was streaming this game for a buddy yesterday and they said they hoped there were goats because goats (they felt) were an underappreciated animal.

Having since learned there are goats, I know what I'm putting in the barn I'll be setting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Are artifacts of any use once I send the first one into the museum? I don't imagine they are used in any crafting, and the ones I've sold seem to be completely useless pricewise.

Mega64 posted:

How is modding coming along as far as adding/editing dialogue?

What I want most out of modding in this game is a community-driven project to add more dialogue to the game. I envision a group effort, where anyone can volunteer dialogue for any character, while the project is led by editors who control what gets added to the mod, to make sure dialogue remains in character and appropriate for the story.