Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ferrinus posted:

Goetia has built-in drawbacks (which could easily cause you to lose Wisdom as they resolve) and it's completely insane that you also lose Wisdom for just using it in the first place.

Especially given that the settings major goeticists use it primarily as a tool to become more wise (not always successfully but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Clearly using magic to help solve your own psychological issues is, in fact, hubristic to the extreme, like using magic to change the channels on your TV.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

Clearly using magic to help solve your own psychological issues is, in fact, hubristic to the extreme, like using magic to change the channels on your TV.

Well, it is, but I'd like the hubris of the pudding to be in the eating, as it were. The drawback of turning your pride into a literal demon and summoning it into your life should be that your pride is now a literal demon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bizarrely, though goetic mages are described as having to be strong-willed and tight-laced, Goetic Struggle rewards you for being weak willed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, it is, but I'd like the hubris of the pudding to be in the eating, as it were.
I have eaten an entire saucepan full of pudding and it was a wisdom sin I would commit again and again.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bizarrely, though goetic mages are described as having to be strong-willed and tight-laced, Goetic Struggle rewards you for being weak willed.

I guess that's what it looks like from the outside, since goetic mages are never seen to indulge in vice and weakness and yet have tons of willpower to spend regardless.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

My advice to you is to literally delete every mage-specific sin from the Wisdom chart and make it lost identically to the way that Morality is.

I think that this is a good idea for almost all the game lines; committing Morality-sins doesn't stop being bad for you just because you've become a magical creature. Being a mage just means you have so many more fancy ways to commit sins. Being a vampire opens up questions of what blood-drinking, ghouling, and diablerie means in terms of Morality, and are ultimately answered by carefully considering the Morality scale.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If a Tremere who can't drink and an Akashic who doesn't drink are sitting at a bar talking about Wraiths and the Tremere asks the Akashic to buy her a drink to keep up appearances and the Akashic buys her a Bloody Mary, is it offensive towards Kindred?

I ask because it happened in game last night and it's kind of turning into a thing...

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

CobiWann posted:

If a Tremere who can't drink and an Akashic who doesn't drink are sitting at a bar talking about Wraiths and the Tremere asks the Akashic to buy her a drink to keep up appearances and the Akashic buys her a Bloody Mary, is it offensive towards Kindred?

I ask because it happened in game last night and it's kind of turning into a thing...

You'd have to be a particular kind of prickly rear end in a top hat to view buying a vampire a Bloody Mary as anything worse than a somewhat tired joke.

Which, of course, means that a Tremere being a catty rear end about it is completely in character. Anyone else? Nah.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Tremere uber alles.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there anything about soft places besides the Ten Photographs section of HRG? I find the concept fascinating and would like to read more on what to do with it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There might be something on it in the one book on weird places for the blue book stuff? And maybe something in Mirrors? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mors Rattus posted:

There might be something on it in the one book on weird places for the blue book stuff? And maybe something in Mirrors? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

which book is this? this is relevant to my magey interests.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Magnusth posted:

which book is this? this is relevant to my magey interests.

World of Darkness: Mysterious Places.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mors Rattus posted:

World of Darkness: Mysterious Places.

excellent, thanks.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

So, one of my players is looking to have a Luck spirit as his familliar. While that is :krad: i'm not certain what to do about numina and influence. I'm thinking turning superlative luck (Fate ***) into a numina and let the spirit use it on his mage too, 1 essence to use. And then have Influence (Luck) do minor Shifting The Odds style stuff. Does that sound about reasonable?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Magnusth posted:

So, one of my players is looking to have a Luck spirit as his familliar. While that is :krad: i'm not certain what to do about numina and influence. I'm thinking turning superlative luck (Fate ***) into a numina and let the spirit use it on his mage too, 1 essence to use. And then have Influence (Luck) do minor Shifting The Odds style stuff. Does that sound about reasonable?
Sounds reasonable to me.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I'd switch them around, myself. The only Influence a Rank 1 spirit can wield is the Strengthen power, which sounds way more like Superlative Luck to me than Shifting the Odds. Shifting the Odds, meanwhile, can be used to make someone's life better or worse; letting them hit every green light or making them hit every red and such.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Axelgear posted:

I'd switch them around, myself. The only Influence a Rank 1 spirit can wield is the Strengthen power, which sounds way more like Superlative Luck to me than Shifting the Odds. Shifting the Odds, meanwhile, can be used to make someone's life better or worse; letting them hit every green light or making them hit every red and such.

All familiars have two dots of influence; so both strengthen and manipulate, which seems about par for Shifting the Odds style stuff. Further, i prefer that the numina are relatively well-defined mechanically; it's the influences which are sort of general and handwavy.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Right, I forgot they started with two dots. Fair enough.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Are there any decent rules for what spirit influences actually do? The stuff I've read all feels very vague and handwavy. Like, if a spirit has Influence electricity 4, it can create electricity. Can it shoot lightning? What does it roll? How much damage does it do? What if it has Influence 3, can it suck lightning out of electrical outlets to zap people? What if it's Influence Puppies 4, can it create puppies and fling them at people?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Gilok posted:

Are there any decent rules for what spirit influences actually do? The stuff I've read all feels very vague and handwavy.

Given the sheer variety of things a spirit can have Influence over, a real in-depth discussion would have to wait for a Book of Spirits Second Edition or the like. Right now all that's been presented are the guidelines on p. 130 of Chronicles of Darkness and the equivalent section in Werewolf: The Forsaken Second Edition. But to answer your specific questions:

Gilok posted:

Like, if a spirit has Influence electricity 4, it can create electricity. Can it shoot lightning?

Influences aren't generally used to attack, so probably not just with its Influence. The Blast Numen is the power for zapping people at range, and just about any aggressive electrical spirit should have it. With Electricity 4 it could power an electrical device or cause a thunderstorm, but it would need Blast to effectively use that power as a weapon.

Gilok posted:

What if it has Influence 3, can it suck lightning out of electrical outlets to zap people?

It could shut down the electrical outlet, but to model "eating lightning and shooting it back at people" I'd probably create a new Numen that lets a spirit consume an instance of its Influence and convert that to Essence, then have it use that Essence to fuel a Blast. Alternately you could just say that the power being consumed is a side effect of the spirit gorging on Essence (as described on p. 127 of Chronicles of Darkness).

Gilok posted:

\What if it's Influence Puppies 4, can it create puppies and fling them at people?

Create definitely lets the spirit create a puppy. Flinging it at people would be a separate action using the improvised weapons rule. It'd need Influence:Puppies 5 for Mass Create to make multiple puppies and gain the benefits of puppy autofire, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gilok posted:

Are there any decent rules for what spirit influences actually do? The stuff I've read all feels very vague and handwavy. Like, if a spirit has Influence electricity 4, it can create electricity. Can it shoot lightning? What does it roll? How much damage does it do? What if it has Influence 3, can it suck lightning out of electrical outlets to zap people? What if it's Influence Puppies 4, can it create puppies and fling them at people?

There is some information about it in the Werewolf book. Basic resolution mechanics:

quote:

Influence is measured in both scale and duration. To use an Influence, compare the spirit’s Influence rating to the total dots of the intended effect and how long it is to last. The total must be equal to or less than the spirit’s Influence rating in order for the Influence to be attempted.

The spirit pays the listed cost in Essence and rolls Power + Finesse, with success creating the desired effect. If the Influence is altering the thoughts or emotions of a sentient being, the roll is contested by Resolve or Composure (whichever is higher) + Primal Urge.

code:
Level	Duration	Cost
0	One minute per 	No additional Essence cost
	success

•	Ten minutes per	No additional Essence cost
	success

••	One hour per	1 additional Essence
	success

•••	One day per	2 additional Essence
	success

••••	Permanent	2 additional Essence
If something falls into a spirit’s sphere of influence, this is handled mechanically by declaring an Influence Condition.

GimpInBlack covered your specific questions and gave more information, to boot.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 7, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

While it's not strictly speaking accurate I usually treat spirit Influences as Arcana with a more specific focus, and charge Essence based on the level of Influence used with a surcharge on longer durations. This probably makes spirits slightly more flexible than canon but it's easier for me to remember.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GimpInBlack posted:

It'd need Influence:Puppies 5 for Mass Create to make multiple puppies and gain the benefits of puppy autofire, though.
New thread title, please.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just needing to vent about another game having to stop because of schedule conflicts.

Our Cyber-Hunter game was going pretty well. Each player had a strong gimmick (alchemist, spirit controller, demonic occultist) and I devised a unified system for making your own hunter magic/techniques. They even had their own unique resource pool.

They made friends with a pacifist werewolf, entered a dangerous pact with a witch on the lamb, accidentally assassinated a fast-food mascot, caused an unseen war with two factions of Fae and murdered an unknown amount of lovely vampires.

I wrote this game over the course of about a year, had one player drop out and replaced, got someone brand new to TTGs addicted and it has inspired me to really make a go at writing my own book. I know there isn't any money to be made but, if I could, I'd do it for a living.
Hell, if I just expanded on all the house rules we made, that would be a solid foundation.

One thing that I don't really like about WoD is that it's hard to have a weapon that is high accuracy but low damage or vice-versa. Since operating with a dice pool that represents both, the scaling kinda gets out of hand. We toyed around with damage caps and expanded success ranges but it was a bit hard to keep track of it.
I'd suggested that we try a simple D20 conversion but that was just before we stopped playing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sorry to hear!... but... is there such a thing as a "simple d20 conversion?"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sorry to hear!... but... is there such a thing as a "simple d20 conversion?"

I made a mockup but it only covers the basics. You know how in D&D your stat bonus come every two points up to +5 (in normal circumstances)? Well in WoD you can just roll a D20 and add your rank in the most appropriate attribute or skill.
It's FAR from perfect and you have to do the legwork to find figure out what would be the best rolls for damage. Maybe a 9mm handgun is 1d4, a sword could be 1d6, or whatever. I suppose I could have just lifted everything from 13th age.

It makes non-combat scenes with a lot of rolling go much faster. Two of my players had a hard time remembering their roll totals and the table we played on was kinda small so 15d10s would go everywhere.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
To make something high/low damage, just increase/lower it's damage rating.

To make something more/less accurate, increase/lower it's dice bonus/penalty.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Perhaps I have been doing something wrong here. When I've played, a knife that does 2L damage, I've understood that as, "Your attack roll is Strength + Weaponry + 2 and it does Lethal damage."
In this way a stronger weapon is always more accurate because you have a larger dice pool.

gently caress, now that I think about it, I've been playing this game for over 10 years and haven't read the basic rules in a LONG time. If I'm wrong, I've infected many people with the wrong way to play :negative:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That was correct in 1e. In 2e, you would roll Str + Weaponry, then deal successes + 2 damage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mors Rattus posted:

That was correct in 1e. In 2e, you would roll Str + Weaponry, then deal successes + 2 damage.

OH THANK GOD

I haven't gotten into 2e aside from skimming my Vampire book. PHEW.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

"Your attack roll is Strength + Weaponry + 2 and it does Lethal damage."
In this way a stronger weapon is always more accurate because you have a larger dice pool.

If I remember correctly, MET changed Vigor to avoid the accuracy buff by applying it only if you hit with your base pool. You could do something similar with weapons if you wanted them to hit harder rather than more. If you use different color dice for the weapon damage, it'd be easy to only apply them if the base dice have 1+ successes.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Was doing some reading on unrelated stuff and came across this wiki article and thought it provides some good story seeds. Mass Hysteria

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Well, tomorrow night, my gaming group and I are engaging in what will probably be the most fun I've had with WoD in a while: one of a series of one-shots we call a Monster Mash. Basically, build a character from whatever splat you want (even mortals), pick any powers from that splat you want within reason. Everyone is injected into the fictional city of Darby, Indiana, where (almost?) everyone is some sort of supernatural creature in disguise. The goal? Either determine what kind of supernatural creature everyone else is, or, just plain rear end survive in this madhouse of a city.

But wait, you ask, how do you keep what kind of supernat splat you are secret from everyone else? The answer is simple: Each of your powers (Disciplines, Gifts, etc.) must be assigned a Verbal Cue that you say in character when you want to use it (the GM has a copy of your Verbal Cues and which powers they represent, of course). For example, if I wanted my Wizened Lost masquerading as a theme park bumper car mechanic to use Unmaker's Destructive Gaze, I'd say the Cue I have assigned to it, "By the mighty poo poo of Santa Claus", to announce to the GM I'm using that power.

It's gonna be :krad: as gently caress. It's the only fun way I've experienced a multi-splat game.

Idrin
Jun 11, 2007

What are the repercussions for someone finding out what you are? If one werewolf gets outed do his secret werewolf buddies try and help him out?

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
That depends. You can fight your way out, or if you have allies you can call them to help you, or you can even try to talk your way out of it. It's really up to you, and it tends to be pretty situational. For example, one time one of the players was a Vampire, part of the janitorial staff of the Darby Mall, and through Dominate and Majesty managed to turn them into a full-fledged guerrilla fighting force when the the Darby Mall Cop Squad was called down on them. Funny enough, the group discovered he was a vampire only after he was set on fire and died almost instantly.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Idrin posted:

What are the repercussions for someone finding out what you are? If one werewolf gets outed do his secret werewolf buddies try and help him out?

It tends to depend on what's specifically going on, but it also tends to vary based on what kind of gribbly. Vampires are a bit more likely to shut you out and leave you to fend for yourself, unless they're close enough to you that people discovering your secrets might out them too. Werewolves tend not to care much about members of a rival pack, but if you're a fellow pack member they'll usually stick with you loyally to make sure you remain safe and free. Changelings have more of a communal spirit and are more likely to help each other out of a big jam, while the wizard police tend to step in to clean things up because they fear what your exposure will do to the sleepers around you.

Regardless of all that, people in the CofD/nWoD skew toward already kind of suspecting that something is amiss, but preferring to leave it alone and hope that will make it show them the same courtesy. So the response to an isolated supernatural being exposed is going to depend on how predatory and dangerous they seem. Some low-key local sorcerer or changeling brewing mystic remedies for neighbors might end up with locals in the know helping keep their secret. Mind-altering manipulators and blood-drinking undead monsters are more likely to inspire the creation of a cell of hunters, while the rest of the neighbors pretend they haven't noticed but slip the hunters a hand behind the scenes whenever they can.

For the cWoD, take those responses and make them more extreme, in both directions. Expect to amaze some people to the extent that they attempt to curry your favor and effectively worship you, while vast conspiracies send clean-up crews to discredit and assassinate you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dunno what this is but I choose to hope that Paradox and Obsidian are doing something WoD related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

It reminds me pretty strongly of the character creation via quiz bit you could do at the beginning of Bloodlines. So, you know, probably that given the names involved.