Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish the Hangouts app wasn't such a pile, I don't like having multiple messenger apps, all-in-one is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm not sure I've even used Touchwiz, I certainly don't remember forming an opinion of it. I've had CM or Slimkat on my S3 for as long as I can remember. Is Touchwiz more than just a launcher? I've been using nova launcher and would like to continue to use it. Do Sprint stores have the S7 on display yet?

Think back and try to remember a time you willingly used any software made by Samsung. Try and think of a time you were happy to see the Samsung logo appear as a program loaded. This is a hypothetical question, this has never happened - to anyone. That's because Samsung doesn't make good software.

So why buy a phone that's packed to the gills with software you don't want? These junk OEM phones are pushed by the carrier stores by aggressive salesmen because they don't have the merits to move on their own. These are worthless piles of silicon comprised of left-over parts that couldn't be sold to Apple running bargain-basement software written by people that have no interest in ensuring the quality of experience for end users.

With a Nexus phone, you're using software that was custom designed for the OS. They're engineered to be used in concert, and provide you with the best possible experience. Use the Google suite of apps with the defaults turned on. Stay within the Google ecosystem and use it as intended and I guarantee you will have a better experience over a much longer period of support.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Smythe posted:

Think back and try to remember a time you willingly used any software made by Samsung. Try and think of a time you were happy to see the Samsung logo appear as a program loaded. This is a hypothetical question, this has never happened - to anyone. That's because Samsung doesn't make good software.

So why buy a phone that's packed to the gills with software you don't want? These junk OEM phones are pushed by the carrier stores by aggressive salesmen because they don't have the merits to move on their own. These are worthless piles of silicon comprised of left-over parts that couldn't be sold to Apple running bargain-basement software written by people that have no interest in ensuring the quality of experience for end users.

With a Nexus phone, you're using software that was custom designed for the OS. They're engineered to be used in concert, and provide you with the best possible experience. Use the Google suite of apps with the defaults turned on. Stay within the Google ecosystem and use it as intended and I guarantee you will have a better experience over a much longer period of support.

I'm ignoring you but not before I mark your username down in S Note, Android's premium note-taking app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Smythe posted:

Samsung camera software is great, and they're default texting app is clean and minimalistic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The camera hardware and software definitely rules on Samsung phones, it's miles beyond a Nexus.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

Think back and try to remember a time you willingly used any software made by Samsung. Try and think of a time you were happy to see the Samsung logo appear as a program loaded.
You are about to enter The Scary Door.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

The camera hardware and software definitely rules on Samsung phones, it's miles beyond a Nexus.

I dunno, my Nexus 6p destroyed all others in my family at my aunt's low light house during xmas. And was cranking out photos like this today

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
LG G4 camera is my favorite of all time. It's stunning.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I dunno, my Nexus 6p destroyed all others in my family at my aunt's low light house during xmas. And was cranking out photos like this today

6P is definitely good, but if it lives up to the hype the S7 sensor is in a whole other league. And Samsung's camera app obliterates the Google app, I've used both a ton.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The S7 camera is really loving good.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

... default texting app is clean and minimalistic.

Aside from those horrid colors and creepy looking fake head profiles, I guess you could say it's clean and minimalistic. I guess.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
TouchWiz loving rules and works really well. Plus it has smoother scrolling than regular android.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

You know, I like your posts. You are pretty much That Guy that people ask for advice on a phone and then do the complete opposite of what you say because your Fan Boy-ometer has no red mark to tell you to stop. Your like the Apple Fanboy of the Google Phone products.

P.S. Steve Jobs was terrible, and so are Google Phones. They are basically the same thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm so glad to see someone admit that android just copied the only really successful smart phone manufacturer.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Android is the C# to Apples Java

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Android is ART, sir.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Reverse Centaur posted:

The only problem I have with the 6P camera is minimum focus distance being longer than I'd like.

Otherwise its excellent.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SB35 posted:

Aside from those horrid colors and creepy looking fake head profiles, I guess you could say it's clean and minimalistic. I guess.

Sounds like Google Messenger to me.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
In tyool 2016 phones are so fast and capable these days that there's no such thing as lag or bloat when it comes to OEM skins, all complaints about Touchwiz/LG UX/Sense/whatever pretty much boil down to "B-but my settings menu is a different color!!???? :mad:?!"

v My entire point is that people should not care because it's not worth having strong feelings about.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 6, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's something very wrong with half the posters on this page. You know who you are. You're the ones who could feel the rage building when someone said something for/against Samsung or Google.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

In tyool 2016 phones are so fast and capable these days that there's no such thing as lag or bloat when it comes to OEM skins, all complaints about Touchwiz/LG UX/Sense/whatever pretty much boil down to "B-but my settings menu is a different color!!???? :mad:?!"

Nah, I used a Note 5 for a while and regularly experienced some strange lag/hitching. Maybe that's just Android at the moment, but I didn't seem to experience the same type of thing as severely on my Nexus 6, to the point that the Nexus 6 felt more powerful, despite clearly not being. I mean, it is what it is, I'm not gonna flip if someone doesn't mind something like Touchwiz, but in my experience, it's pretty demonstrably poorly designed and offers little-to-no advantage for the consumer.

That said, the S7 is a nice looking phone. I held the Edge when I was at the store the other day, and they really did a wonder in making the Edge much, much more comfortable in the hand - to the point where I think it feels better than the regular S7. We'll see what marketing does, but I wouldn't be shocked if these pull Samsung out of that sales slump they've been in.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

sleepwalkers posted:

Nah, I used a Note 5 for a while and regularly experienced some strange lag/hitching.

Nexus phones have lag, they just hide it a little better with animations. If you turn them off in your power user settings (or whatever it is) and try flipping through a few apps, you'll notice. Google is just smarter about it than Samsung/LG.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

There's something very wrong with half the posters on this page. You know who you are. You're the ones who could feel the rage building when someone said something for/against Samsung or Google.

Other than Smythe's typical trolling, this is the most normal this thread has ever been :confused:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Other than Smythe's typical trolling, this is the most normal this thread has ever been :confused:

Being normal for this thread is tangential to my post.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And now, for a slight change of pace, night time Galaxy s7 Lego city shots:

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

My Moto X 2013 finally exploded. At first I was excited that it was an excuse to get a new phone, but everything out there seems to have just as many drawbacks as improvements compared to my Moto X. I decided to buy a new screen and try to replace it, but half the screws inside the phone came stripped from the factory, so there's no way I'm going to be able to repair the phone with any reasonable amount of time and effort spent. I'll just buy a new phone and eat the lovely restocking fee on the new screen and battery I bought.

Things I loved about the Moto X that I'm concerned about losing:
-Screen size and form factor
-AMOLED screen + Ambient Display notifications

Things I'm looking forward to improving:
-The camera
-Battery life
-The Micro USB port being a flimsy piece of poo poo that requires mucking around with every week in order to not have the charging cable fall out at the slightest touch.
-Dual SIM would actually be useful, as I'm often in the US or Europe, and I could have a local SIM for data, and keep my Canadian SIM in to accept calls and texts from work. Right now I have to swap SIMs every couple days while out of country and check for texts and voicemails.

Things that didn't really bother me, but I guess could be improved with a new phone:
-Performance. I know the Moto X is old, but I didn't really notice performance issues with the way I use my phone. Maybe there was crazy stuttering, I just don't know any better?
-Android 6. Maybe it's just because I haven't paid attention, but I don't know of a Marshmallow feature that I really wish I had, so I'm completely ambivalent about not being able to upgrade.

Assuming I buy a new phone, some options I'm considering are: (prices are in CAD, and some include a discount because I have a credit with my carrier, but they only carry some of these phones)
-Nexus 5X 16GB: $439 - Pros: USB-C seems neat, camera, Nexus device, best performance. Cons: no AMOLED or Moto ambient display, and bigger than ideal.
-Moto X Play 16GB: $327 - Pros: Battery, Ambient Display. Cons: It's huge. not AMOLED, Performance?
-Moto G 8GB: $157 - Pros: Cheap, decent form factor. Cons: Everything else?
-One Plus X $340: Pros: Decent Form factor, AMOLED notifications, performance vs Moto X Play, dual SIM. Cons: No updates? Camera (still better than Moto X!), sketchy company? (note: no LTE issue for my carrier, and I'm fine being on 3G when in the US)

Thoughts? I have a Nexus 5X arriving tomorrow that I'll try out and probably return when it's too big. It looks to me like the One Plus X is my ideal choice? Is the company really that bad? Should I expect the phone to arrive non functional?

Kreez fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 6, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

broken clock opsec posted:

God drat

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

broken clock opsec posted:

These are great, you should post them in the Lego thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What's the deal with the S7 and carrier vs unlocked?

Are any US carriers loving with the S7 too much?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Both companies are excellent. Each has its pros on and cons, and some people cant handle that. I dream of a future when our Mobile OS of choice is actually a full Windows non-mobile install that runs full windows applications and games with no issues. Then Google and Apple can quietly feel the shame of creating mobile only platforms that are boring and made for Tap Titans only style games instead of good things.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

I dream of a future when our Mobile OS of choice is actually a full Windows non-mobile install that runs full windows applications and games with no issues.
I can only assume this is sarcasm.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Hey y'all

I'm trying to decide between a Nexus 5X and Droid Turbo 2.

Is there anything about either I should know about that's not reflected in their specs / initial reviews?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

I can only assume this is sarcasm.

Actually, not at all. I really think within the next 5 years or so we will see a full fledged windows OS running on a phone using intel cpus that can handle full app/game functionality to some, if relatively minor, degree. Look at how powerful phones are right now and just imagine the day WindowsBEST takes over as the primary mobile market. The day will be glorious.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
All hail your new nexus overlords (HTC)

Posted from my One m8

Also screw contacts and carriers obviously. I am on Harbormobile, although I wasn't able to grandfather unlimited data in time.
I may get a FI device in the next year, I'm already pretty much on that plan, but it would be nice to have an extra carrier for the boonies and ala cart data.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Actually, not at all. I really think within the next 5 years or so we will see a full fledged windows OS running on a phone using intel cpus that can handle full app/game functionality to some, if relatively minor, degree. Look at how powerful phones are right now and just imagine the day WindowsBEST takes over as the primary mobile market. The day will be glorious.

That's a UX nightmare. Why would you ever want to run full-fledged Windows apps on your phone? And if you're retooling apps with a mobile UI, what's the point of running a "full" OS?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you had to pick a manufacturer that would guarantee me not buying the next Nexus phone, it would be HTC.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

That's a UX nightmare. Why would you ever want to run full-fledged Windows apps on your phone? And if you're retooling apps with a mobile UI, what's the point of running a "full" OS?

Its mostly for the idea of connecting your phone to a tv or monitor and being able to have your laptop/phone in 1 device. keep it simple with mobile ui for when its not connected and limit functionality of apps/games unless your connected to a larger screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

grimcreaper posted:

Its mostly for the idea of connecting your phone to a tv or monitor and being able to have your laptop/phone in 1 device. keep it simple with mobile ui for when its not connected and limit functionality of apps/games unless your connected to a larger screen.

Windows on anything less than 10 inches is dead and buried. We may have a surface phone geared toward enterprise at some point, but that's pretty much about it. It's not going to undergo a massive revival. It's toast.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

grimcreaper posted:

You could try the ubuntu phone, it tries to be just that

it's also poo poo, but y'know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Windows on anything less than 10 inches is dead and buried. We may have a surface phone geared toward enterprise at some point, but that's pretty much about it. It's not going to undergo a massive revival. It's toast.

I think windows10 phone and Continuum say your wrong.

Dont get me wrong, i love Android for what it is.. but i love the idea of having the full blown windows OS available at any time if needed/wanted without having to lug around a laptop. Win10 Mobile is a bit qwerky right now. I wouldnt buy into it for atleast another year personally.

The thing with android, for me anyway, is that theres nothing that really makes me feel invested in it. The games are mostly pay 2 win garbage across the board, theres a few that are neat and fun but those are so few and far between that its like finding a single nugget of gold in a veritable 10 ton turd.