Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Getting away with the money but forgotten isn't a win for Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Aphrodite posted:

Getting away with the money but forgotten isn't a win for Jack.

While I was all with him on this topic, in his words: "gently caress those men!" I still never saw it coming, that he was willing to go as far as try to make sure Nassau suffers another Spanish raid, which will result in great bloodshed and chaos...all to make sure his name rings out.

It's not just devious of him...it's sorta downright ruthless. Though I suppose, with everyone else willing to betray him and Vane for the pardons, after he was generous as poo poo to everyone on the island with his share, I can also see how he might hold some resentment towards the island's general populace now.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 1, 2016

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Jack's great because he's as ambitious and tactically minded as any of your other major players but no one takes him seriously because he can't throw a punch. He's come a long way from season 1 where I remember him basically just being "evil Silver."

I guess that's part of why he and Anne make such a fun duo, since she's pretty bad at the interpersonal stuff (and also there's probably some stuff there about the limited agency of women at the time).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't historical Rackham one of the primary inspirations for Jack Sparrow?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't historical Rackham one of the primary inspirations for Jack Sparrow?

He's mentioned by the writers of "Pirates of the Caribbean" as being one of the inspirations for Sparrow, along with most of the characters from "Treasure Island." Then Depp just mashed in some Keith Richards and Pepe LePew and voila.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Have to admit, "My name is John Silver and I've got a long loving memory," has a much better ring to it than: "...and I happen to be a very good cook."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:butt::yosbutt:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of an ignoble end for poor Mr Dufresne.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of an ignoble end for poor Mr Dufresne.

Yeah, was kinda hoping for him to be taken down by Billy, who kinda showed him the ropes in S1. But ah well, I suppose accusing someone of being 'all talk' and winding up as being the pot that called the not-quite-kettle black will have to work.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Dufresne was a shitbird and I relished in the end they gave him at the hands/peg of the best character on the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The two best characters on the show are that prostitutes warlocks.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vanes plan seems kind of risky. At least he's dedicated to saving Rackham though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man this season's been so loving good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

Have to admit, "My name is John Silver and I've got a long loving memory," has a much better ring to it than: "...and I happen to be a very good cook."

It would have made the scene hilarious though.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
This was a really good episode and I can't wait for the Flint/Silver/Vane/Rackham/Bonny super team.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Gazaar posted:

Dufresne was a shitbird and I relished in the end they gave him at the hands/peg of the best character on the show.

Whoever kills Dufresne inherits the title of the true hero of the show.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Eleanor has such a sweet rear end.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is this season also 10 episodes? If so only 3 left :(

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Okay, Woodes Rogers is unreasonably reasonable and the only character to root for despite being the most boring option.

Also, I was watching the Mythbusters finale and they played clips of when Adam Savage had a shaved head and a goatee and uh...was he the basis for Flint's look this season? Like, even down to the earring?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Woodes has such a sweet rear end.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

VagueRant posted:

Okay, Woodes Rogers is unreasonably reasonable and the only character to root for despite being the most boring option.

Also, I was watching the Mythbusters finale and they played clips of when Adam Savage had a shaved head and a goatee and uh...was he the basis for Flint's look this season? Like, even down to the earring?

You heard Flint, gently caress England.

No.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Mouse Dresser posted:

Woodes has such a sweet rear end.

I didn't mean to trigger you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Immortan posted:

My wife said, not me but I agree, she should of kept the stockings on.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VagueRant posted:

He is no doubt unreasonably reasonable. But Jack's final line to him in the cell, as to the fact that what he's actually doing is not a good thing at all (even if done for good reasons), demonstrates very well, how that quality on its own is definitely not enough. Not to mention how quickly he's then willing to bend over even further for Spain, and violate his original promise of setting Jack free after all this, as part of his pardon strategy. Whatever reason dictates is the path of least resistance for him and most others, he takes it regardless of principle or who will get hurt (unless perhaps it's someone close to him, like Eleanor is now).

So if one roots for him, because they support reason and pragmatism for its own sake, I can definitely understand that. But these things, as well as not wanting to be seen as a villain, definitely scream of an internal weakness of his, one that Flint has worked through during the first half of this season. Not to mention also an added problem that this weakness leads to - making reasonable men rationalize horrible things as 'necessary', instead of also owning up to them. Much like Ashe rationalized his betrayal, and not facing up to the fact that he was just too weak to do the harder, decent thing and stand up for himself and those close to him.

I still like Rogers a lot. But I don't think he's entirely experienced with all this, and I'd predict that even if he wins things won't go smoothly for him at all, somewhat also due to this weakness of his (of which he's actually becoming somewhat aware). Even if he does have a cute butt.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, he is also unreasonably ripped and hairless, but so is every gent on the show.

Jack's line rang a little hollow though. Like Rogers is going to be "oh no, you mean I'll hurt her feelings? Oh, what a cost to bear!" Actually selling out Jack though? Fair point.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

VDay posted:

Man this season's been so loving good.

:agreed:

Silver earning his nickname was loving awesome. Everyone on the cast are nailing their parts right now.

Also digging that Silver also has a frickin' sweet, if slightly lesser, coat now.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 7, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Toby Stephens wasn't trolling me after all :(

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm among the folks that never properly read Treasure Island. I must have had some abridged version for young adults at some point, but I don't have any recollection of the story.

Anyway, started reading it on my iPad using a goofy little app called Serial Reader that basically chunks books and unlocks a new section every day. It's been a lot of fun to read and watch, but it's surprisingly frustrating to get to the end of a chapter and then there's no more book available for another 23.5 hours.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'm among the folks that never properly read Treasure Island. I must have had some abridged version for young adults at some point, but I don't have any recollection of the story.

Anyway, started reading it on my iPad using a goofy little app called Serial Reader that basically chunks books and unlocks a new section every day. It's been a lot of fun to read and watch, but it's surprisingly frustrating to get to the end of a chapter and then there's no more book available for another 23.5 hours.

Umm, I think it's free if you download the Kindle app man.

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

Minus1Minus1 posted:

On the off chance that you want to read it at your own pace:
Treasure Island in various eBook formats
Reader options for different platforms
"The Apple iBookstore also contains most Project Gutenberg ebooks."

So it doesn't seem like you even need to get anything extra. Unless Apple is doing something dumb like charging for access or something.

nate fisher posted:

That's crazy; do you have any idea how expensive that poo poo would have been?! (Just wearing them in that climate. :retrogames:)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

prak posted:

That's crazy; do you have any idea how expensive that poo poo would have been?! (Just wearing them in that climate. :retrogames:)

Ha never thought of that, but good point.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Solice Kirsk posted:

Umm, I think it's free if you download the Kindle app man.

Oh yeah, I appreciate it. I didn't mean for that to come off as a complaint. It's just kind of funny to have a book tell me that I was done reading for the day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't wait to see this plan to rescue both Jack and the treasure. Finally having all of the main pirates on the same side with a clear goal to work towards is going to be loving amazing to watch. This is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite shows and I love that Stars is giving it enough seasons to finish out the story it wants to tell.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Immortan posted:

Man why do I have to go back to season 1 to see Max naked? Is the DVD out yet?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

IDK why she took them off, stockings are hot and so is Eleanor

e: Meanwhile, Max is being useless as poo poo. Is anyone else tired of her as a character? Maybe the writers intended this, but she is far too ambitious and thinks she's far more smart and important than she really is, and as a result is more annoying than anything, especially with her lines.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Some find her boring and "GRATING ACCENT FFS" me...I find her somewhat interesting, though not without flaws. But yea, fair enough if anyone just calls her 'boring'.

EDIT: TBH, I remember her mentioning in Season 2 to Anne once, about how she'd really want to set up a network of proper spies throughout the Carribean. So I'm kinda disappointed, that the writers didn't use *that* as the go-between between Spain and England for the whole Urca treasure reclamation difficulties, rather than using a new character being shaken down by some shady threatening child-killer MoFo. Because in such a way, Max would be kept far moreso in the loop (her character role gets a lot more interesting) and would be able to show off a lot more devious initiative (maybe by trying to sequester her share of the Urca gold converted, letting Anne and Jack take the heat and focus for Spain/England but who knows...maybe getting made by them in the end), rather than just be the reactionary: "Let's see how I can help Woodes Rogers today" she is now.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 9, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She's setting herself up for a bit of murder from Anne for lying to her about Jack being tortured.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CrazyLoon posted:

Silver is very interesting, because the argument FOR him doing what he does now, because of a love for the crew, actually was planted there as a seed by Flint in mid-Season 2 when he pulls off the Urca gold deception: "Those men out there give a poo poo about what you think. Where else in the world would you wake up and matter? You walk out on all this...and where the gently caress are you going?" It deffo had a subtle effect, and led to what he did at the end of the season...it cost him heavily...but the crew also proved Flint's words to him, by taking care of him and electing him Quartermaster. And he legit does this job better now than Gates, because he actually stands the gently caress up to Flint, whenever he veers into the insane irrational waters that jeopardize the work of the entire crew.

So it would make sense that he is attached to the crew now...on the other hand, that spoilered area I mentioned? It might very well come to bite him in the rear end yet, because Max remains the only person who knows, that he was the one who had lied to all of them. And if he ever crosses her too much...her leaking and confirming that bit of info to Flint or the crew would utterly ruin Silver. So who knows...perhaps even he knows this, and is looking for opportunities to not be utterly reliant on the crew the way he is right now. Therein lies the argument, that he's not *that* attached to the crew as he appears at the moment.
Hold on, I just added something up.. John Silver.. Is he Long John Silver!?! It totally explains the peg leg, then. :aaaaa:

In my defense, I never realized his name was "silver", I always heard "Mistah Silvah" and figured it was like spanish or something

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2016

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Naw man, this is John "Long loving Memory" Silver, totally different character (with an admittedly somewhat cumbersome nickname).

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

coyo7e posted:

Hold on, I just added something up.. John Silver.. Is he Long John Silver!?! It totally explains the peg leg, then. :aaaaa:

In my defense, I never realized his name was "silver", I always heard "Mistah Silvah" and figured it was like spanish or something

That's kind of impressive frankly. The first time they said his name I lit up thinking about ghetto fast food fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gazaar posted:

That's kind of impressive frankly. The first time they said his name I lit up thinking about ghetto fast food fish.

I went into the pilot totally blind so when I first heard his name I realized it was a Treasure Island prequel/retelling and I immediately freaked out.

• Locked thread