Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

I didn't order it on account of there being an app! But it's a fun game, even if the app is a pain. I may order it eventually, but my birthday money is all spent for now ;)

I love having the physical cards in my hand during the game and I don't think the app would feel quite the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just watched Rahdo stumble his way through Neanderthal :allears:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Samurai posted:

Just watched Rahdo stumble his way through Neanderthal :allears:

If you want to tear your hair out, watch him play Ancient Terrible Things!

(disclaimer: Ancient Terrible Things is not very good)

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Are any board (preferably euro) gamer goons located in the San Jose area? I'll be staying here until about mid-March and am starting to miss my games.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

just played a game of betrayal at house on the hill. first time playing in awhile after we had a lovely scenario. I've finally realized everyone in this thread is right.. nothing you do in that game matters and it's really not fun. I like exploring but it gets old really fast. the dice are stupid too.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

first time playing Alien Uprising this week. I liked it. On even just the moderate difficulty, does it always usually come down to the last turn to either win or lose?

We did get the ship repaired with the pieces needed, but we would have lost otherwise, due to needing to have drawn an alien gestation card and not having one.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 6, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was really looking forward to Alien Uprising but it didn't work for me. I found it fiddly with poorly written rules and my enthusiasm just dipped and dipped till it was gone entirely. I think you're the only other person to mention it in the boardgame thread :goleft:

It's cool you dug it but it didn't work for me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What's a good "watch it played" video for Steampunk Rally? I just got a copy and I'd like to brush up on it before I bring it to game night on Tuesday.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I'm playing 1849 tomorrow and judging from its reputation and rules it's going to be rough. Do any of you fine folks have some tips/do's and don'ts?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bobvonunheil posted:

If you want to tear your hair out, watch him play Ancient Terrible Things!

(disclaimer: Ancient Terrible Things is not very good)

Pretty ballsy to have Terrible in the name of your product of questionable quality I say.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Played Blood Rage for the first time today, loved it. 3 player, we called the game early in the 3rd age.

How are you supposed to defeat a player who has both the "gain [1,2] glory for each unit placed in valhalla" upgrades? I think there was also a valhalla mission that got him extra VP for each lost unit.

every time he lost a guy he was gaining 6/7 VP in ages 2/3, so all he did was get himself into fights and lose them all. the third player didn't play so smart and started age 3 with almost nothing, so the only thing I could do was...attack the guy who wanted to lose fights. Even if I had avoided fights and just pillaged everything I could, it wouldn't have been enough.

We didn't even bother finishing the 3rd age or calculating the final scores.

I really like the game a whole lot, but I really hope the answer isn't "don't let him accumulate those upgrades/missions" - it's entirely possible any given player wouldn't have an opportunity to block getting them in the drafting phase. Maybe they're just way more powerful than I thought.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 6, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ancient Terrible Things isn't terribly groundbreaking under the hood but I was always impressed by the consistent art direction and art style throughout. It's yahtzee-ish and has some push your luck elements as far as the gameplay goes.

There might not be a lot under the hood but what's there is well polished and plays properly without being broken or anything out of the box, which is all a hell of a lot more than I can say for other games I've owned.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Ancient Terrible Things isn't terribly groundbreaking under the hood but I was always impressed by the consistent art direction and art style throughout. It's yahtzee-ish and has some push your luck elements as far as the gameplay goes.

There might not be a lot under the hood but what's there is well polished and plays properly without being broken or anything out of the box, which is all a hell of a lot more than I can say for other games I've owned.

Yahtzee the game or the guy?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Malloreon posted:

I really like the game a whole lot, but I really hope the answer isn't "don't let him accumulate those upgrades/missions" - it's entirely possible any given player wouldn't have an opportunity to block getting them in the drafting phase. Maybe they're just way more powerful than I thought.

This was the issue I had with this game and is the primary reason I sold it. Yeah, it may take half the time of Chaos in the Old World or Kemet, but I'd much rather play either of those anytime.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mister Sinewave posted:

So what are possible negative aspects of the game? I watched the walkthrough and it looks ok. I don't really have a yathzee style game and this one seems to offer enough ways to manipulate the dice and the theme seems neat for this kind of game. Any real reasons not to get it or what would be a better yathzee style game?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Malloreon posted:

Played Blood Rage for the first time today, loved it. 3 player, we called the game early in the 3rd age.

How are you supposed to defeat a player who has both the "gain [1,2] glory for each unit placed in valhalla" upgrades? I think there was also a valhalla mission that got him extra VP for each lost unit.

every time he lost a guy he was gaining 6/7 VP in ages 2/3, so all he did was get himself into fights and lose them all. the third player didn't play so smart and started age 3 with almost nothing, so the only thing I could do was...attack the guy who wanted to lose fights. Even if I had avoided fights and just pillaged everything I could, it wouldn't have been enough.

My experience with Blood Rage is that if whoever goes for the Loki stuff gets all the cards they want uncontested, they're favoured to win. The answer is to not let them get those cards. The cards are powerful (the age 2 card is a pretty reliable 30 points even if you're not going for a lose-every-fight strategy, which is 20% of the way to a winning score on its own), so they should be getting spread around unless some seriously weird chance or poor drafting happens.

Even if you are playing against someone who got all the Loki upgrades, you can still make a decent fight of it - prioritize axe upgrades, then pillage places where he isn't. Who cares if he gets five points for you killing the guy he moves in, when you're getting 7 for the victory plus a track bump which could be worth another 10? Also make sure you lock out the Ragnarok location quickly, so he doesn't get to double-dip on glory for deaths.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

This was the issue I had with this game and is the primary reason I sold it. Yeah, it may take half the time of Chaos in the Old World or Kemet, but I'd much rather play either of those anytime.

Someone's had Blood Rage out at our meets and it doesn't take half the time of Kemet unless you're having to explain the full Ta-seti expansion as well. It's maybe 25-30 minutes shorter if we're being generous.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Played my first game of the old FFG Starcraft + BW, I'm pretty impressed by how well all the subsystems work together, particularly the order stacking and the combat deckbuilding system. It's relatively snappy to play once you have the rules down too, though admittedly it was only a 2p game. I could see things bogging down with more players than that, especially if you're waiting for combat between other players to resolve. Also like any FFG game, the amount of table space it takes up is absurd between all the miniatures and cardboard tokens each player needs to handle.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Trickerion remains an excellent overcrowded, constantly skirting disaster worker placement game and I've still not managed to use the full ruleset for a game. The only issue is that the range of tricks causes a huge burst of ap and once somebody else swipes one from your plan it basically stops again. So don't go near this one if anybody is prone to that sort of thing

I also played spyfall, which was an excellent opener for the entire 7 man group but is much like a fake artist goes to new York in that you should not bother with scoring and just play until you've had enough. There is a bit of an issue with the spy needing to know the full list of locations, that I think could be sidestepped by just using bits of paper and making up locations. Also we had some issues with the carnival card showing a masquerade ball in the art that led for a very confusing round where half the players seemed to be spies

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrDru posted:

just played a game of betrayal at house on the hill. first time playing in awhile after we had a lovely scenario. I've finally realized everyone in this thread is right.. nothing you do in that game matters and it's really not fun. I like exploring but it gets old really fast. the dice are stupid too.

Betrayal is the one game this thread told me not to get, and was 100% right. I should have listened! It is a very tempting game, its siren song of infinite replayability calls to you, draws you towards buying the game. Unfortunately once you get their, your ship is dashed against the shores of randomness and player agency, never to escape.

Betrayal disappointed me quite a bit, because it feels like the random house building mechanics should be a in a much better, more tactical game. I want a version of Betrayal where decisions matter and are not self evident.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Took a look at the manual and a couple of videos for Trikerion and decided I would never get it to the table :smith:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Speaking of house-building mechanics, it seems like the best strategy for Castles of Mad King Ludwig is to focus on your secret goal cards and acquiring more of them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CaptainRightful posted:

Speaking of house-building mechanics, it seems like the best strategy for Castles of Mad King Ludwig is to focus on your secret goal cards and acquiring more of them.

More or less. And getting some combos so you can purchase several buildings at once.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any word on when Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is coming back in stock anywhere? Is it getting reprinted or what?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Selecta84 posted:

So what are possible negative aspects of the game? I watched the walkthrough and it looks ok. I don't really have a yathzee style game and this one seems to offer enough ways to manipulate the dice and the theme seems neat for this kind of game. Any real reasons not to get it or what would be a better yathzee style game?

If you looked at it and thought it looks fun then yeah, give it a shot. I like the game just fine and we've played it a fair bit. You're not going to open it up then go cross eyed at the rules or discover it's half baked or anything; it's not waiting to rip you off.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the game, just that the board game thread doesn't find it very interesting probably because it's not that unusual under the hood.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

If you get the expansion it turns into purple rooms with secret passages.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mister Sinewave posted:

If you looked at it and thought it looks fun then yeah, give it a shot. I like the game just fine and we've played it a fair bit. You're not going to open it up then go cross eyed at the rules or discover it's half baked or anything; it's not waiting to rip you off.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the game, just that the board game thread doesn't find it very interesting probably because it's not that unusual under the hood.

Ok then. Yeah, I'm not looking for a board game revolution when wanting to play a yahtzee style game. As long as it is competent for it's genre I'm fine with it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Guys Historia is really good

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Malloreon posted:

You want a game strategy where you skip the last third?

Dying in Ragnarok is useful, but it's a drafting game; take away his quests and there's not a lot he can do. And if he keeps losing, you can keep upgrading, which limits his # of people on the board, points for winning battles, and amount of fury.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
To address his concerns that the Loki strategy is too strong, I've played close to 15 games now and I've only seen that strategy win on it's own twice. It can be strong, but every other strategy can win as well, and I would say the vast majority of winning strats is a combination of stuff.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm thinking about picking up Pandemic Legacy but had a quick question. It's usually just my wife and I playing games, but will occasionally have a few friends come over. Can you have extra players drop in for some of the sessions but not play all of them? Obviously they wouldn't enjoy the full effect of the changes, but would it mechanically be possible? Rahdo loves it enough as a two player game so we'll probably get it regardless, but just curious I should even try to get anyone over for a few odd sessions.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

GMT 1846 map preview thread on BGG.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Niiiice. If you get any 18XX games guys, get this one!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

GMT's putting out an 18XX game?!

P500 here we come.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

With the caveat that to a of "serious" 18xx players state that it's less interesting due to it being a more an econ snowball game than a stock manipulation/gently caress thy neighbor standard 18xx. I don't know, I'm just parroting what I've heard.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oldstench posted:

With the caveat that to a of "serious" 18xx players state that it's less interesting due to it being a more an econ snowball game than a stock manipulation/gently caress thy neighbor standard 18xx. I don't know, I'm just parroting what I've heard.
No, that's not "serious" 18xxers, just 18xxers with a stick up their rear end about what a 'proper' 18xx is. Different tastes for different people (and yeah, not angry at you, just those loving idiots). The game is just as ruthless as other 18XX games, even though it has less market shenanigans.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Apparently even GMT cannot make 18XX go easy on the eyes, even by wargame standards. This looks like someone's playtesting copy and those blotches of bright red are particularly :barf:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Had a session with an unintended tropical treasure hunting theme: Tobago and Isla Dorada.

Tobago is brilliant, I really like the way you're adding details to the treasure maps as you go. It's one of those games that's great for reeling in new people. It's a tad more complex than TTR but the theme is way more appealing. It's a nice stepping stone in that crescendo of rules complexity that you use to make normies into fully fledged boardgamers.

Isla Dorada I liked a little less. I feel like you can get shafted hard by which treasures, curses and destiny cards because there's not a lot you can do to mitigate bad draws. If 2 or 3 players draws have enough overlapping goals, the 4th guy is just going to be along for the ride with no power to stop it (which is what happened to one of us).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

theroachman posted:

Had a session with an unintended tropical treasure hunting theme: Tobago and Isla Dorada.

Tobago is brilliant, I really like the way you're adding details to the treasure maps as you go. It's one of those games that's great for reeling in new people. It's a tad more complex than TTR but the theme is way more appealing. It's a nice stepping stone in that crescendo of rules complexity that you use to make normies into fully fledged boardgamers.

Isla Dorada I liked a little less. I feel like you can get shafted hard by which treasures, curses and destiny cards because there's not a lot you can do to mitigate bad draws. If 2 or 3 players draws have enough overlapping goals, the 4th guy is just going to be along for the ride with no power to stop it (which is what happened to one of us).

Thanks for sharing, Tobago sounds right up our alley! My wife has a real soft spot for T R E A S U R E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants

Koruthaiolos posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Pandemic Legacy but had a quick question. It's usually just my wife and I playing games, but will occasionally have a few friends come over. Can you have extra players drop in for some of the sessions but not play all of them? Obviously they wouldn't enjoy the full effect of the changes, but would it mechanically be possible? Rahdo loves it enough as a two player game so we'll probably get it regardless, but just curious I should even try to get anyone over for a few odd sessions.

We've got Pandemic Legacy and it is very easy to drop players in and out, as long as you don't mind explaining the rules and game state it's fine :)