Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
IBO merch for those uninterested in model kits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Where can I find these trinkets?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
https://www.hlj.com/product/BANN05753/Gun

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've completely forgotten about atra's wristband lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Oh, we rescued Carta, uh, somehow" is an absurdly unsatisfying way to handle that. It's just all kinds of lazy.

That said the scene with Mika and Orga was unnerving as poo poo. I get it was Mika encouraging Orga but the mere fact that is how he encourages Orga really emphasizes how batshit he is. I also like that they're not afraid to frame it as a bad thing. Orga gives his big speech but it's undercut by Merribit telling him that's the wrong way to handle it and her being told she's right but they won't listen.

They really have to go to Season 2 at this point though. I just can't see how anything can be satisfactorily resolved in 2-3 episodes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
McGillis: "There's probably an informant within us." :ironicat:

I really want to know what his game is, considering he's deliberately playing Gaelio off against Tekkadan despite supporting Tekkadan. I'd also like to know his dad's actual motivation for wanting what he wants.

e; Mika: "Hey, Orga, how many should I kill?" :allears:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 6, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

McGillis: "There's probably an informant within us." :ironicat:

I really want to know what his game is, considering he's deliberately playing Gaelio off against Tekkadan despite supporting Tekkadan. I'd also like to know his dad's actual motivation for wanting what he wants.

Daddy just wants to secure his power-base as top dog of Gjallarhorn. McGillis, I believe, is just taking advantage of a win-win situation, ensuring that whoever wins out of Gaelio or Tekkadan will be willing and able to reform Gjallarhorn as he wants. Getting Gaelio on-board with using cybernetics is an important part of that - we've seen from Nadi and Ein's examples that it's an important piece of medical technology that Gjallarhorn are suppressing and stigmatising for their own selfish ends.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Daddy just wants to secure his power-base as top dog of Gjallarhorn.

All we know is that he wants to secure his position. We don't know why. The why is the important part, which is why I am interested in knowing it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
We really need a season 2, it feels like they've been setting the stage for the manipulators to take the stage. Kudelia as a manipulator of change, Papa Iznario manipulating to maintain the status quo, and McGillis working as many angles as he can to reform Gjallarhorn and perhaps make it what it once was. All the while Tekkadan sparks the flames.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

We really need a season 2, it feels like they've been setting the stage for the manipulators to take the stage. Kudelia as a manipulator of change, Papa Iznario manipulating to maintain the status quo, and McGillis working as many angles as he can to reform Gjallarhorn and perhaps make it what it once was. All the while Tekkadan sparks the flames.

And Nobliss as the malevolent presence in the background. Seriously, the guy has 'main villain' written all over him.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

That said the scene with Mika and Orga was unnerving as poo poo. I get it was Mika encouraging Orga but the mere fact that is how he encourages Orga really emphasizes how batshit he is. I also like that they're not afraid to frame it as a bad thing. Orga gives his big speech but it's undercut by Merribit telling him that's the wrong way to handle it and her being told she's right but they won't listen.

They really have to go to Season 2 at this point though. I just can't see how anything can be satisfactorily resolved in 2-3 episodes.

I think the moral of the story is: if you don't want a bunch of kids to burn down your organisation and wreck the status quo, then don't force them into such a position through economic exploitation and death squads.

Like Tekkadan aren't fundamentally bad people, they just don't have as much agency as they think they do, and all their murderous behaviour is a product of their environment. As too is willingness to re-enter the cycle of violence.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm fairly forgiving of this show because the writing tends to feel natural and organic but Carta somehow being rescued offscreen because the plot demanded she survived was by far the single most :effort: writing in this show so far.

We got more of Mika and Orga as the most disturbing blood brothers ever and the show really needed this. If IBO can keep up the quality of what it is really good at and minimize its flaws, I can believe that a second season will be good.

Darth Walrus posted:

And Nobliss as the malevolent presence in the background. Seriously, the guy has 'main villain' written all over him.

And yet cannot be defeated in a mobile suit battle, but must be defeated with political and economic reforms. I fully expect someone will assassinate him after he's been weakened enough a la Gihren or Kycillia, but if the show locks him up behind bars instead then I will be immensely satisfied.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

I'm fairly forgiving of this show because the writing tends to feel natural and organic but Carta somehow being rescued offscreen because the plot demanded she survived was by far the single most :effort: writing in this show so far.

Yeah. I was really looking forward to Mika flipping out and slowly squeezing her to death with the Barbatos or something, instead of that copout.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Those blonde guys that bit it were all probably Carta's Biscuit.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah. I was really looking forward to Mika flipping out and slowly squeezing her to death with the Barbatos or something, instead of that copout.

While it certainly was a copout, I think it may have hurt the impact of the rest of the episode if they hadn't done it. The scene with Orga was way creepier because we've seen relatively little of Mika's dark side recently, and messily butchering Carta would have undermined that. Still doesn't excuse them writing themselves into a corner like that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon-Lime posted:

All we know is that he wants to secure his position. We don't know why. The why is the important part, which is why I am interested in knowing it.

I think he represents the current, corrupt Gjallarhorn. So securing his position is for the sake of securing his position. maintaining power for the sake of maintaining power

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, though, they hadn't written themselves into a corner. They just neglected to take a good option. We saw the whole of Tekkadan freeze up over Biscuit's death and Orga's injury, so rather than footage of Carta's squadron after they'd got away, we could have seen them dragging their commander off while their enemies were paralysed.

One thing I was thinking about with Orga and Mika's confrontation, though - there's been a lot of 'holy poo poo Mika is psychotic' reactions, but I felt it might have been more about his seeking validation. We've already seen how the ghastly stuff he does affects him far more than he likes to let on, and he seems to justify it as necessary to Orga's plans. If Orga stops, if he can't find some salvation for them all at the end of it, then Mika's made himself/been made into a monster for nothing, and he can no longer justify how he lives his life.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like those two Carta soldiers throwing a flashbang or something is missing from the airing. Her escaping isn't the problem, it's the clearly missing transition from being on the ground to flying on water.

Maybe added to the blu-ray?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Ep 22:

:stare:
:stonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weirdly I've seen people arguing that as an uplifting and heroic moment which I just don't get. I mean it has a literal ominous thunderstrike and they're both drawn to look batshit insane.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mika only grabbed the head unit, then brutally flipped and drove the entire mech into the ground in the last episode, even if he had squished it would have only crushed the sensor array.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
I thought Carta living was better because her dying would have been a victory in her eyes and her future actions being tinged in revenge is cooler.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is anyone else having a problem getting the new episode to play on Daisuke? It seems to just buffer forever.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I had to refresh a couple times. Daisuke is a bad player.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

I feel like those two Carta soldiers throwing a flashbang or something is missing from the airing. Her escaping isn't the problem, it's the clearly missing transition from being on the ground to flying on water.

Maybe added to the blu-ray?
I honestly thought we'd get a flashback from either Mika's or Carta's perspective after the opening credits to explain what happened. So yeah, I'm expecting an added scene for the DVD/Blu-Ray release as well.

ImpAtom posted:

Weirdly I've seen people arguing that as an uplifting and heroic moment which I just don't get. I mean it has a literal ominous thunderstrike and they're both drawn to look batshit insane.
I can see where people would assume it's a heroic moment, because a lot of shows have used a similar base formula for such scenes (character hits a low point and angsts, close friend cheers them up through tough love). The problem is that both Orga and especially Mika are very much not right in the head space, thus turning what is normally a heroic moment into something a hell of a lot darker. The next episode being titled "The Final Lie" coupled with a :stare: from Mika at the end of the preview ain't helping things either. Or it could just be leading up to something else like McGillis going on a backstabbing spree.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is anyone else having a problem getting the new episode to play on Daisuke? It seems to just buffer forever.

In my case, I tried watching on Hulu, only to find that the subs weren't there. With closed captions set to "on", mind you.

Otherwise, I agree that they really needed a shot of Carta's subordinate dragging her suit away from a stunned Mika.

Very much liked Kudelia's show of competence.

Vaguely amused that "McGillis" is his first name.

Definitely hoping this gets a second season. There's just no way I can think of a satisfying ending they can pull together in the next few episodes, especially when it feels more like Tekkadan finishing their mission will be the catalyst that kicks off the war that's been brewing since the first episode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Merebit is next

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Presumably either the next or after episode will be Edmonton's anime debut. I can't believe they chose the lame city I live in for their fictional sci-fi nation capitol rather than almost any other large city in Canada or Russia. Praying to see Barbatos donning an Oilers jersey and shoulder checking another Gundam into the now ancient Rogers Place arena. :canada:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Megafunk posted:

Presumably either the next or after episode will be Edmonton's anime debut. I can't believe they chose the lame city I live in for their fictional sci-fi nation capitol rather than almost any other large city in Canada or Russia. Praying to see Barbatos donning an Oilers jersey and shoulder checking another Gundam into the now ancient Rogers Place arena. :canada:

Who should I kill eh?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Never thought that Mika would be into revenge so all those people cheering Carta getting gatored seem weird to me. After all, that isn't Biscuit any more.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dangerous Person posted:

I had to refresh a couple times. Daisuke is a bad player.

If anyone else is having this, I disabled AdBlocker and it worked. Possibly because it was previously ads for other shows and anime apps which probably came from Daisuke servers, today it was an external one for Plants vs Zombies.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah I still can't get over loving Edmonton being the city Arbrau holds it's seat of government. If you're gonna do somewhere in western canada, Vancouver or Calgary would have been the way to go. >_>

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Yeah I still can't get over loving Edmonton being the city Arbrau holds it's seat of government. If you're gonna do somewhere in western canada, Vancouver or Calgary would have been the way to go. >_>

The Calamity War was a hell of a thing.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This was a good episode for the Tekkadan side of things, especially Kudelia showing some strategy, but I was already tired of Ein and now that he's going to become the new super pilot for the bad guys I'm going to be even more sick of him.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I caught a glimpse of the world map during Kudelia's plan. The chunk off Australia... is this happening in some undisclosed future UC location? I thought it was a parallel story.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Ka0 posted:

I caught a glimpse of the world map during Kudelia's plan. The chunk off Australia... is this happening in some undisclosed future UC location? I thought it was a parallel story.

The official stance is every Gundam happens in some order but a long long time apart and it never matters, probably just a cute reference to that idea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

This was a good episode for the Tekkadan side of things, especially Kudelia showing some strategy, but I was already tired of Ein and now that he's going to become the new super pilot for the bad guys I'm going to be even more sick of him.

I do think that his subplot does represent an interesting spin on the usual Gundam Cyber-Newtype story, though. Normally, it's the franchise's bluntest expression of 'adults are the enemy', an innocent child getting turned into the tormented, brainwashed heart of a giant death-machine by cold-hearted warmongers. Here, there's... maybe a little of that, but it's mostly about Ein's friend and commander trying to give him a chance to better his lot and overcome his organisation's prejudices, becoming a respected, valued hero. It's about increasing his agency, not removing it.

Another interesting little detail is that Carta seems to be attacking Tekkadan solo in the Episode 23 PV, and her Graze Ritter is carrying a red banner. In other words, she's challenging them to a duel in the old ways of the Calamity War, exactly like Crank did in Episode 3. If the Einborg manages to come online in time and save the heir of the mightiest family in the Seven Stars from exactly the same fate that befell his beloved mentor, then that's... a pretty big deal.

Carta might even end up reconsidering her blonds-only policy. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

If anyone else is having this, I disabled AdBlocker and it worked. Possibly because it was previously ads for other shows and anime apps which probably came from Daisuke servers, today it was an external one for Plants vs Zombies.
The Daisuki player is weird. For a while, I had to disable AdBlock in order to even watch anything. But then, I re-enabled AdBlock and it worked fine, but occasionally ads would slip past. It's schizophrenic as hell, to sum it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

genericnick posted:

Never thought that Mika would be into revenge so all those people cheering Carta getting gatored seem weird to me. After all, that isn't Biscuit any more.

The last time Mika thought one of Biscuit's family members was injured he almost choked a guy to death just for being nearby. Mika is absolutely pro-revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ka0 posted:

It's a separate timeline, officially. The chunk missing from Australia is more of an Easter egg than anything else, the Calamity war isn't meant to be the OYW.

• Locked thread