Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just don't see how it's interesting when his whole deal is "literally Freeza but pretends to be a good guy" and the latter part doesn't matter any more since the audience and every relevant character knows about it, so you're just left with him being Freeza. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because he wins through manipulation, honestly outside his race he isn't much like F character wise at all. He is exactly what DBZ fans wanted and they still complain.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because he wins through manipulation, honestly outside his race he isn't much like F character wise at all.

Space racism is a powerful and horrible force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frost being evil is fine. It's not the Most Interesting Thing Ever but it takes advantage of the fact he looks like Frieza to subvert expectations. Not expectations that he is good instead of evil (though he plays with that) but instead Frieza is portrayed as the ultimate powerful force in the universe to the point he wasn't even training and was getting by on pure natural power while Frost isn't but looks like he is, a trick that only works well if you're expecting the former.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

I just don't see how it's interesting when his whole deal is "literally Freeza but pretends to be a good guy" and the latter part doesn't matter any more since the audience and every relevant character knows about it, so you're just left with him being Freeza. Again.

He only sort of looks like Freeza though, and doesn't have the great edge Freeza had.

This joker can't fight Goku when Goku is just going SSJ- OG Freeza could be one of the most powerful things to ever live if he could stop being so loving impatient. Like he wasn't just trading blows with SSJBlue Goku, he was winning the fight. Without God Ki.

Frost is a coward and a liar. Freeza is extremely brave, even if for very stupid reasons, and very honest. SSJs scare the poo poo out of him but he still wants to fight them because of his pride. I don't get the feeling Frost would ever straight up fight anyone.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

freeza observes the bushido code

frost brings great dishonor to himself and his race

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Frost could turn out to have a really cool debuff type of moveset in the inevitable video games featuring him.

That is my contribution to this discussion.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frost has been a lot of fun, especially considering he's not even going to be the main event in this tournament. It's been a good little arc-within-an-arc and anything that lets Vegeta get screentime without Goku interfering in his fights is good stuff. Hell, we even got some good Piccolo moments out of this and he hasn't done anything for a long time.

Raxivace posted:

Frost could turn out to have a really cool debuff type of moveset in the inevitable video games featuring him.

That is my contribution to this discussion.

Yeah Frost should be cool in future games, he's got multiple forms and his poison stuff. Now he just needs some crazy ki move and we're set

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because he wins through manipulation, honestly outside his race he isn't much like F character wise at all. He is exactly what DBZ fans wanted and they still complain.

A twist is not a twist when it is played straight. A good Freeza would have been a twist on expectations, because up until the tournament we assumed all of universe 6 was going to be full of rear end in a top hat and hello, there it is.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kelp Plankton posted:

Frost has been a lot of fun, especially considering he's not even going to be the main event in this tournament. It's been a good little arc-within-an-arc and anything that lets Vegeta get screentime without Goku interfering in his fights is good stuff. Hell, we even got some good Piccolo moments out of this and he hasn't done anything for a long time.

Yeah Frost should be cool in future games, he's got multiple forms and his poison stuff. Now he just needs some crazy ki move and we're set

He had his Holy Nova BS, I suppose. Maybe we'll see something else during the Vegeta fight.

I like Frost because he made people ITT mad after they got got, and he's a new type of scumbag for the series - not evil for the sake of evil like every other DB villain. Piccolo had a cool fight and would've won if it weren't for poison BS anyway.

Mordaedil posted:

A twist is not a twist when it is played straight. A good Freeza would have been a twist on expectations, because up until the tournament we assumed all of universe 6 was going to be full of rear end in a top hat and hello, there it is.

It was not played straight, they gave you Perfect Being Freeza at first, and then turned it around on its head after you ate the bait. It's a double twist.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Condiv posted:

freeza observes the bushido code

frost brings great dishonor to himself and his race

All this means is that Freeza's brother is still Cooler.

Really, that was a neat episode plot-wise. Jaco was great, Piccolo put up one hell of a fight (did it remind anyone else of Krillin fighting him in the 23rd Tournament?), Frost completely justifies Goku's fear of needles, overall a fun watch. Not the best episode so far, but pretty entertaining.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It is a twist though.

Also Cabba still does the "seemingly evil guy but good" thing so the other twist is also potentially there. Frost being a manipulator instead of a combat wombat doesn't inherently mean it is an evil universe, just a different universe.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
We still have Cabba and maybe Heat and robot. Pooh doesn't seem like a huge rear end in a top hat I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mordaedil posted:

It is a twist, just not the one you wanted. There is a difference.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also it was cool that they remembered how Chichi is supposed to be a badass in human terms, look at them Wuxia jumps.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dias posted:

I like Frost because he made people ITT mad after they got got, and he's a new type of scumbag for the series - not evil for the sake of evil like every other DB villain.

That is literally Freeza though. He wasn't evil for the sake of being evil, he sold planets and kept an empire, he was by all means motivated by money and power. Which is, guess what, Frost's exact personality.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is a twist, just not the one you wanted. There is a difference.

"This guy who looks, sounds, and is stated to be the universal counterpart of the evil guy you knew is actually evil" is not a twist, it's obvious. The twist was seeing Freeza being a gentleman and nice, which sadly did not stick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No the twist is this guy who acts good and noble actually isn't Frieza should not and does not factor in whatsoever. Because he is nothing like him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blaze Dragon posted:

That is literally Freeza though. He wasn't evil for the sake of being evil, he sold planets and kept an empire, he was by all means motivated by money and power. Which is, guess what, Frost's exact personality.

Freeza was never trying to look good though. He was a conqueror, he ruled through force and was outright evil-for-the-sake-of-evil plenty of times. His empire was more about him showing off his power than being savvy at business. Meanwhile, Frost goes out of his way to not be implied on the wars he starts, then poses as their great savior while selling out the land for the sake of power. At least from what we know, he isn't one to make great shows of cruelty because he can. Freeza ganks his own troops after they ressurect him.

Freeza is the Roman Empire. Frost...well, Frost is modern-age America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Frieza was evil for the sake of evil, hell most DB antagonist are, let's be real.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They twisted it by making Freeza good and then twisted it back to being boring bad guy. I'm pretty disappointed about that, but I'm more disappointed about Piccolo. Have yet to watch the ep but this is his first fight since what, Android 17?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Friezes was evil for the sake of evil, hell most DB antagonist are, let's be real.

All*

Goku fought Nazis, a Demon King, Space Hitler, Evil Android Made By Nazis, Eviler Demon King and The Literal Embodiment of Destruction, and somehow the last one is the more nuanced out of the list.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Frieza good is rather boring tbh. Though piccolo does really well in his fight, he doesn't have to win.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

All*

Goku fought Nazis, a Demon King, Space Hitler, Evil Android Made By Nazis, Eviler Demon King and The Literal Embodiment of Destruction, and somehow the last one is the more nuanced out of the list.

Tien was an antagonist at some point and he wasn't really evil for evil's sake.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Tien was an antagonist at some point and he wasn't really evil for evil's sake.

I mean, it's been a LONG time since I read Dragonball, but wasn't Tien more of a henchman to Tao Pai Pai (and that guy was pretty cartoon-evil).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

Frieza good is rather boring tbh. Though piccolo does really well in his fight, he doesn't have to win.

He actually does. Like this the entire tournament is Goku and Vegeta wins (and we know he will win, because there's no way he isn't fighting Cabba and Magetta will come before Cabba), so...we go right back to status quo of "Goku, Vegeta, and then multiple flavours of Yamcha" which is quite honestly awful, and only got magnified since Battle of Gods. Before that at least they had an use outside of fighting, but now that we have very short arcs that are mostly fight-based, we don't get, say, Piccolo training Goten and Trunks (or Gohan before that) thus proving there's a point for him being in the show.

To make it easier, what part of Super would've gone differently if we remove everyone except Goku and Vegeta, beyond the slice of life episodes that have been undeniably the best part of the series?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

He actually does. Like this the entire tournament is Goku and Vegeta wins (and we know he will win, because there's no way he isn't fighting Cabba and Magetta will come before Cabba), so...we go right back to status quo of "Goku, Vegeta, and then multiple flavours of Yamcha" which is quite honestly awful, and only got magnified since Battle of Gods. Before that at least they had an use outside of fighting, but now that we have very short arcs that are mostly fight-based, we don't get, say, Piccolo training Goten and Trunks (or Gohan before that) thus proving there's a point for him being in the show.

To make it easier, what part of Super would've gone differently if we remove everyone except Goku and Vegeta, beyond the slice of life episodes that have been undeniably the best part of the series?

The Buu Saga is actually what cemented the idea that ONLY Goku and Vegets could do poo poo. Mostly because everyone else hit their natural brick wall way back in the Cell Saga and couldn't get any stronger, while Vegeta got magic power ups and Goku got haxor death training.

Gohan should have been there too but you know how that went and continues to go.

One thing I'm very curious about is how Piccolo got as powerful as he is now. He hit his limits before, during Cell Saga, and never got to rise past them. He hasn't had any kind of SPECIAL POWER UP like Goku and Vegeta, yet he would have beaten Frost pretty handily here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

No he doesn't and the fact the fandom is obsessed with that idea is loving dumb.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

No he doesn't and the fact the fandom is obsessed with that idea is loving dumb.

Because gently caress fandom, that isn't going to entertain me?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

more like fan dumb ha ha snort.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

One thing I'm very curious about is how Piccolo got as powerful as he is now. He hit his limits before, during Cell Saga, and never got to rise past them. He hasn't had any kind of SPECIAL POWER UP like Goku and Vegeta, yet he would have beaten Frost pretty handily here.

Picollo still trains

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was funnier in the sense that you now have Goku, Super Strong rear end in a top hat beating up the poor underdog who never gives up. It was a funny case of role reversal.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just wish they would have just let piccolo win the fight.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What do you think Frost's power level was?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cmykjester posted:

I just wish they would have just let piccolo win the fight.

that'd be nice since he hasn't won a fight since, like, the saibamen or something unless you count people running away

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Frost is probably the most interesting villian in all of Dragonball really. Though that is a low bar to clear.

Not even close, what a loving ridiculous statement

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Covok posted:

What do you think Frost's power level was?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, Piccolo enters the fight being expected to lose, almost wins but gets beaten by the same attack that defeated GOKU. I get why it's disappointing but he didn't get Worfed this time so eh.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's certainly better than what he got in the buu saga, that's for sure

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
let a non saiyan win a fight for once oh my god this show sucks

also the twist was stupid, I liked frost but now he's just frieza 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this twist was excellent, they brought me along with the characters and and fooled both of us at once :v:
Frost is basically the British Empire vs Friezas Spanish Empire, perfect!

Though I am more than a little dissapointed by Piccolo getting cheated out of a fair fight. He hasn't had the chance to be a bad rear end, or the most powerful, since he fought Android 17. Come on guys, give Piccolo another chance to be on top, he has waited patiently for his turn :(

• Locked thread