Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Is the op still up to date? My friend is looking for a relatively cheap android tablet (non-4g or anything, wireless only) to play games and faff about on. Seems the google nexus 7 in the op fits the bill but I didn't know if that was still the goto choice or if anything has changed since it was posted. Thanks.

Can we just change the thread title to: "Shield K1 Tablet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well. "iPad or Shield"

The OP is pretty out of date.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Agent355 posted:

Is the op still up to date? My friend is looking for a relatively cheap android tablet (non-4g or anything, wireless only) to play games and faff about on. Seems the google nexus 7 in the op fits the bill but I didn't know if that was still the goto choice or if anything has changed since it was posted. Thanks.

It could definitely use updating. Amazon's released a generation of Fires since what's been posted, but most of them are kind of garbage. The only interesting choice is the $50 Fire 7", which you can stick Google services on and turn into a super cheap tablet pretty good for light gaming and faffing about. The hardware's not fantastic, but I find I get a lot more use out of it than my more expensive tablet, which kind of lives on my nightstand because I'm super paranoid about something happening to it. :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kazmeyer posted:

It could definitely use updating. Amazon's released a generation of Fires since what's been posted, but most of them are kind of garbage. The only interesting choice is the $50 Fire 7", which you can stick Google services on and turn into a super cheap tablet pretty good for light gaming and faffing about. The hardware's not fantastic, but I find I get a lot more use out of it than my more expensive tablet, which kind of lives on my nightstand because I'm super paranoid about something happening to it. :)

Even without Google Play, the $50 one is a great cheap choice since it has Underground support.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Can the Shield K1 tablet stream from my computer instead of from NVIDIA's server farms?

Also, can the Shield K1 use a Steam controller?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

Can the Shield K1 tablet stream from my computer instead of from NVIDIA's server farms?

Also, can the Shield K1 use a Steam controller?

Yes if you have a geforce card, it's in the nVidia experience app features. And I don't think so, because the Steam controller uses a funky modified Bluetooth protocol.

There's an open implemention of the Shield streaming app called Moonlight that you can put on any Android device to stream from geforce cards, although it may be a less polished experience.

Why Valve hasn't made an Android receiver for Steam Home Streaming is beyond me.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Even without Google Play, the $50 one is a great cheap choice since it has Underground support.

Yeah, but without Google Play you can't get Fallout Shelter or Pocket Mortys or that cat butthole simulator game. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Well. "iPad or Shield"

The OP is pretty out of date.

Whoops. Yeah, a 2013 tab is probably not a good idea anymore.

Deleted out the nexus and at least put in a placeholder for now.

Edit: updated for the Shield. Any missing info please let me know. I'll probably have to update the Samsung and Kindle options at some point, but that won't be today.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 7, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

MikeJF posted:

The Fire HD 8 is 800x1280, a low-end 1.5GHz processor with 1G ram, a weird gimped Android 5 OS.

The K1 is 1200x1920, a Tegra K1 2.2GHz, 2G ram, Android 6, and a good likelyhood of long-term updates and support.

Sweet, I just picked one up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yes if you have a geforce card, it's in the nVidia experience app features. And I don't think so, because the Steam controller uses a funky modified Bluetooth protocol.

There's an open implemention of the Shield streaming app called Moonlight that you can put on any Android device to stream from geforce cards, although it may be a less polished experience.

Why Valve hasn't made an Android receiver for Steam Home Streaming is beyond me.

I wasn't expecting Steam controller support but streaming from my home computer sounds nice. Half the reason I want a Windows tablet is so I can do Steam in-home streaming on it with my Steam controller, so if I can accomplish that with the Shield with a slightly smaller screen for a moderately smaller price I'm intrigued.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wasn't expecting Steam controller support but streaming from my home computer sounds nice. Half the reason I want a Windows tablet is so I can do Steam in-home streaming on it with my Steam controller, so if I can accomplish that with the Shield with a slightly smaller screen for a moderately smaller price I'm intrigued.

Shield K1 has a mini HDMI connection, so you can accomplish that with bigger screens too. Steam controller may work wired.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 7, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've read the Steam controller works wired with the Shield K1 but I'm not sure how well.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any good inexpensive tablet suggestions. I have two kids that are 7 & 8 and they currently have 1st Gen Kindle Fires. They both still work but lately there have been more and more games and apps that are not compatible with them so I am thinking about upgrading them to something newer. I don't really want to do another Fire tablet but i do want Android based. The Fire's are just too locked down into Amazon's stuff and I want to be able to easily run the Google Play store and other stuff without having to mess with them. Unless of course they have mad that easier in the newer versions.

What I want:
8" to 10" display
Android OS
Under $150 each if possible, the cheaper the better but i don't want junk that wont last.
I am ok with older gen models if they are good
Prefer not another Fire unless they changed it so Play Store and other stuff are easy to use.
Parental controls (one thing I do like from Amazon Fire)
I already have a pretty big Google Play and Amazon Apps catalog on my accounts so I prefer to be able to use those.

Currently I am looking at the Lenovo Tab2 8". Anyone have any views on this tablet?

Trastion fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 7, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any good inexpensive tablet suggestions. I have two kids that are 7 & 8 and they currently have 1st Gen Kindle Fires. They both still work but lately there have been more and more games and apps that are not compatible with them so I am thinking about upgrading them to something newer. I don't really want to do another Fire tablet but i do want Android based. The Fire's are just too locked down into Amazon's stuff and I want to be able to easily run the Google Play store and other stuff without having to mess with them. Unless of course they have mad that easier in the newer versions.

What I want:
8" to 10" display
Android OS
Under $150 each if possible, the cheaper the better but i don't want junk that wont last.
I am ok with older gen models if they are good
Prefer not another Fire unless they changed it so Play Store and other stuff are easy to use.
Parental controls (one thing I do like from Amazon Fire)

Currently I am looking at the Lenovo Tab2 8". Anyone have any views on this tablet?

Not sure on the tab, but I know a lot of parents use App Lock for android devices for parental controls. Just fyi for whichever one you end up going with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: updated for the Shield. Any missing info please let me know. I'll probably have to update the Samsung and Kindle options at some point, but that won't be today.

The K1's OS is Android 6. Your linked review is for the old Shield, not the current Shield K1.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The K1's OS is Android 6. Your linked review is for the old Shield, not the current Shield K1.

Whoops. Thanks for that. I think i have that fixed now, and I updated info for the iPads, Shield, Kindle, Surface and Samsung stuff.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure on the tab, but I know a lot of parents use App Lock for android devices for parental controls. Just fyi for whichever one you end up going with.

I will check that out. Thanks.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Having trouble getting a google nexus 7 to charge. I plugged it in the other day, and it went from a dead battery to 12% pretty quickly. After moving it to another spot in the home, the same charger wouldn't charge it. It would go in and out of charging, which led me to believe something was wrong with the connecter (gently moving the cord until it gave me a charge icon then not moving it).

I tried another charger in a different spot in the house, and same thing. It would tell me it was charging, but I was losing battery power. At this point I'm convinced it's the connection on the tablet, but visually it looks fine (nothing looks bent or broken). I tried a third charger, and this one actually charges the tablet. So now I don't know what to think.

It hasn't made it to the latest software update yet (will be doing that later tonight), but are there any ideas as to what's causing it/if I can fix it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
How bad are Microsoft Surface 2s? Groupon has refurbished ones for $160, which seems like a decent "screw around with a Windows tablet" price, but I think it might just be a bit too old and underpowered to do much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's Windows RT, so real bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's Windows RT, so real bad.

Oh really? Groupon page said Windows 8.1, definitely not worth it if it's RT.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just looked, it says right on the page it's running Windows RT 8.1 when you scroll down.

quote:

Specifications
Model number: P3W-00001
10.6” five-point multi-touch display
1080p Full HD resolution
1.7GHz NVIDIA Tegra 4 quad-core processor
2GB DDR3 RAM
32GB or 64GB storage
Windows RT 8.1 operating system

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I just looked, it says right on the page it's running Windows RT 8.1 when you scroll down.

Well dumb. :). Thanks, I would have been pissed at myself if I caved and ordered it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a (likely windows) tablet that's small, light and has an active pen.

I'd like a reasonable resolution and battery life as well.

Also nice would be a smart cover without a keyboard as I don't need one but it adds cost and weight.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

MikeJF posted:

Just a quick update on this, but with Kinoconsole you can stream from AMD cards just as effectively. It uses VCE - which is the hardware encoder equivalent to the Nvidia option - and does 1080p60 just fine with no performance penalty (and obviously downscales for you; running 1440p at source). I've run it with Kino and Shadowplay and there just isn't any difference in performance.

Shield controller fully supported and emulates to X360 on PC. Haven't tried others but expect the same from standard controllers.

Only pain is that you stump up for the android app but it is certainly worth it if you have a Shield and an R9 card. You have to run a small server app on your PC, of course.

Why AMD aren't making use of their own hardware and bundling this functionality into Crimson is also a puzzler, although I guess it has been well established that their software department is rubbish.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So how is the battery life on the Shield tablet for just web browsing and streaming video? And would the Shield tablet be a reasonable upgrade from my aging iPad mini 2? Plus having an iOS device (iPad mini 2) and a Android device (My smartphone; a Moto G 3rd gen) is kinda annoying and jarring when switching between the two.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I asked in CC but I guess no one in there has tried it yet. Anyone reasonably interested in digital art tried the shield and directstylus2 for semi casual drawing?

The only reviews I've seen are nerds doing sqiggles and sayings it works great, rather than nerds doing hentai or other pretty pictures.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's OK for quick sketches but the screen size feels very restrictive. Precision with the stylus is better than fingerpainting; worse than wacom. Sadly there's no dock for the stylus in the new version of the tablet and you have buy it separately.

The Nvidia paint program is quite cool though. Uses the hardware for rendering texture and you can do things like turning on gravity for watercolours so the paint runs based on the gyroscope.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Goons,

What's the cheapest Windows tablet that will let me watch Netflix, do the odd word and excel documents and not be slow as balls? Also, doesn't have to be a 2-in-1.

Apologies in advance if this should have gone in the laptop mega thread.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Guni posted:

Goons,

What's the cheapest Windows tablet that will let me watch Netflix, do the odd word and excel documents and not be slow as balls? Also, doesn't have to be a 2-in-1.

I don't know if this is going to be popular advice, but if you want a) Windows and b) cheap as balls you probably can't go wrong with the Chuwi Hi8 ($89), Hi10 ($160) and Hi12 ($240). They're certainly cheap, and run Windows 10 and Android. They won't be playing Crysis 3 maxed anytime soon, mind.

The Cube i7 and i9 appear to be those ones, but a bit better all round. And as far as I understand, the Cube i9 will be 399 dollars on aliexpress from March 29 - April 2 (linky).

Hope this helps. I haven't used these tablets personally, but I have cocked a curious eye at the reviews and impressions in search of a cheap edutainment tool for my kids that I won't mind it falling out of a window.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guni posted:

Goons,

HP Stream 7 is still around, and it includes a year of Office 365 for free

You can find it for around $60.00 used on Amazon and "fulfillment by Amazon" means it's open box stock that Amazon's trying to get rid of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00NSHLVD2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have one and it upgrades to Windows 10 without problems

The 8" variation is $84.99 certified refurbished:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01920H010/ref=psdc_1232597011_t1_B00NSHLVD2

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 17, 2016

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

HP Stream 7 is still around, and it includes a year of Office 365 for free

You can find it for around $60.00 used on Amazon and "fulfillment by Amazon" means it's open box stock that Amazon's trying to get rid of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00NSHLVD2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have one and it upgrades to Windows 10 without problems

The 8" variation is $84.99 certified refurbished:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01920H010/ref=psdc_1232597011_t1_B00NSHLVD2

Thanks dudes, I probably should have mentioned I'm in Australia (and therefore can't get everything through Amazon, unfortunately), but I will look into both the above suggestions!

E: and Hi8 has been ordered!

Guni fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 17, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Guni posted:

Thanks dudes, I probably should have mentioned I'm in Australia (and therefore can't get everything through Amazon, unfortunately), but I will look into both the above suggestions!

E: and Hi8 has been ordered!

Good luck, and please let me know how you get on, as I might pick up a couple for kids' use.

One thing I found out was that if it still comes with Win 8.1 as it used to, you should upgrade it to Win 10 yourself straight away. If you do, you wind up with a proper licence for yourself. If you use Chuwi's image instead it doesn't and you end up with a dodgy one.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Moogle posted:

Good luck, and please let me know how you get on, as I might pick up a couple for kids' use.

One thing I found out was that if it still comes with Win 8.1 as it used to, you should upgrade it to Win 10 yourself straight away. If you do, you wind up with a proper licence for yourself. If you use Chuwi's image instead it doesn't and you end up with a dodgy one.

That's good to know, thanks! I think it comes with 10 pre installed, so we will see.

I would have liked if it had HDMI, but no biggie considering the price. Should receive it late next week/early the week after.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I have the Stream 7 and haven't powered it on since the week I bought it, you're saying it will upgrade to Windows 10? Doesn't it lack the hard drive space to really pull that off?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

I have the Stream 7 and haven't powered it on since the week I bought it, you're saying it will upgrade to Windows 10? Doesn't it lack the hard drive space to really pull that off?

It has 32gb storage - it updated fine for me

Also upgrading the HP drivers fixes the battery drain problems it had out the box

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Niche question that I don't know if it belongs here, but nothing seems more relevant and it's not worth its own thread :

So my work is going to be performing psychology experiments that we're trying to switch over to be on a tablet. Somehow I'm the most tech literate person in charge of actually buying a tablet for this, despite my entire tablet experience being watching YouTube on my girlfriend's iPad sometimes. Yes this is dumb. (Implementation is being done by someone else ; again, super dumb.)

Anyway, I just need to know what's a cheap tablet that can run E-Prime and is pretty portable?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyway, I just need to know what's a cheap tablet that can run E-Prime and is pretty portable?

Here's the system requirements for E-Prime:

https://www.pstnet.com/eprime.cfm?tabID=Requirements

You need a Windows tablet with a USB port for Chronos (if you're using Chronos) and it must have at least a 2GHZ dual-core processor and 1GB RAM

Are you using Chronos?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 20, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We would not be using Chronos.

Basically, it's a super simple little game thing that we're just porting to a tablet for portability and ease of use, the hardware required should be pretty minimal.

Thanks a bunch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The HP Stream 7 I mentioned a few posts ago is worth a shot - Amazon has them for around $60 used or refurbished and they upgrade to Windows 10. They're quad-core and have 1gb RAM.