Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just take any five minutes of clips from any movie and record yourself saying "why don't they just fly to Mount Doom on those eagles" over and over again.

Or take a movie made in 1982 where a character takes a bite of cake and say "I can't believe they're trying to steal this joke from [the video game] Portal."

The cinemasins guy really needs to be tortured and jailed. He's way worse than pewdiepie or any other youtuber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Randomly clicking around:

- The women aren't having sex with the narrator

- Why is Joe looking at the compass going haywire near the sandstorm he doesn't need it to follow the war rig???????

- When the vehicles get stuck in the mud why don't they go around it???

- Night changed to day because of budget??? (seriously, the gently caress does that even mean?)

- Immortan Joe just happens to have water in his rock fortress???

- Why didn't Max kill the People Eater (and he asks this while they play the answer: because he used him as a human shield)

Pretty much all things that either are dumb as hell, a bad joke, or completely incomprehensibly stupid. Like if you can look at the movie with your eyes and you're not a mentally challenged toddler you can figure this poo poo out for yourself.

Just clicked it to a random spot aaaaaand . . .

what in the unholy gently caress, how can anyone be so goddamn dense :psypop:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That isn't even a loving sentence.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm glad that somebody is taking the dumb 'plot hole/plot' driven school of movie criticism to its logical extreme. Hopefully that will kill it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is this just one of those things where someone intentionally makes total bullshit points because gently caress it, outrage gets more views and ad revenue than reason?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is this just one of those things where someone intentionally makes total bullshit points because gently caress it, outrage gets more views and ad revenue than reason?

Nope. Dude's channel was originally a pretty funny gimmick when it was like 2-4 minute videos that pointed out really egregious poo poo in very bad movies.

For some reason he went to a 15-50 minute format and it's literally all poo poo like you saw above, and people love him and he does guest spots on other channels/podcasts. It's loving inexplicable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's just giving the people what they want.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

For whatever reason I have seen more bad criticism about this movie which is very good than almost any other movie.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Paragon8 posted:

For whatever reason I have seen more bad criticism about this movie which is very good than almost any other movie.

I do find it ironic that the MRA idiots paranoid about it being feminist action propaganda were more right than anyone else, they just somehow thought it was a bad thing.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Count Chocula posted:

I love the score, but I noticed that in Deadpool, Junkie XL's score is similar. So he's already repeating himself.

A lot of fury road's score is recycled from 300 rise of an empire (pay attention to the ominous rising three notes, it's exactly the same). Junkie xl is basically James Horner except not emotionally manipulative or quite as lazy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paragon8 posted:

it's just a car chase why six oscars!!!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

A lot of fury road's score is recycled from 300 rise of an empire (pay attention to the ominous rising three notes, it's exactly the same). Junkie xl is basically James Horner except not emotionally manipulative or quite as lazy
Well now I have to listen to Brothers in Arms again, good job.

Count Chocula posted:

I do find it ironic that the MRA idiots paranoid about it being feminist action propaganda where more right than anyone else, they just somehow thought it was a bad thing.
That they acted as a ton of free advertising for the movie while doing it helped a lot, too.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

They shoulda has iOTA (Coma the Doof Warrior) sing a cabaret song for the credits.
I'm usually pretty anti-Australian, but seeing guys from my neighborhood getting Oscars for design and sound and local institutions like iOTA and Hugh Keyes-Byrne getting tons of publicity and money is great fun.
The think pieces about what this means for the local film industry are pretty lame. Just fund more genre films, and aknowledge genre successes like Saw (basically a Mad Max spinoff) and The Badadook (which pissed off people because it tied with the Russel Crowe film The Water Diviner at our version of the Oscars, and nobody had heard of it here despite it being beloved worldwide).

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 7, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isn't most Australian cinema about sad poor Australians suffering and dying in the middle of nowhere? Which doesn't even sound all that different from Mad Max, really.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Nessus posted:

Isn't most Australian cinema about sad poor Australians suffering and dying in the middle of nowhere? Which doesn't even sound all that different from Mad Max, really.

There's also movies about inner-city junkies. If I had talent, I'd recut Mad Max into a harrowing movie about cancer and paint-huffing.
Similar Mad Max Aussie movies include The Rover, which I really need to see, Nick Cave's The Proposition, which everyone needs to see, and Wake in Fright, which is directed by an Englishman and is basically a documentary.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nessus posted:

There's a few great comedies (check out Bad Eggs if you can find it), excellent horror like the Babadook and Wolf Creek, and low budget action like Mad Max and other ozploitation films.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone should make a CInemasinssins youtube channel

E: I quite liked Beneath Hill 60 and Red Hill for (somewhat) recent Aussie films, one being a WW1 film, so war genre and the other being a 'modern' Western which was pretty good except one bit of CGI for a metaphor.

Oh, The Mule (starring the Organic Mechanic) was good, just for Hugo Weaving being a total douche-cop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5Pu3b-V6U

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 7, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nope. Dude's channel was originally a pretty funny gimmick when it was like 2-4 minute videos that pointed out really egregious poo poo in very bad movies.

For some reason he went to a 15-50 minute format and it's literally all poo poo like you saw above, and people love him and he does guest spots on other channels/podcasts. It's loving inexplicable.

Youtube rewards longer videos.

Nessus posted:

Often yes. Short films normally centre around middle aged men dealing with the loss of their wives, or alcoholism. We also have a few oddball comedies and some pretty good psychological/horror films.

As a country, we've also claimed Fury Road as our collective work. NZ can keep LOTR.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Count Chocula posted:

There's also movies about inner-city junkies. If I had talent, I'd recut Mad Max into a harrowing movie about cancer and paint-huffing.
Similar Mad Max Aussie movies include The Rover, which I really need to see, Nick Cave's The Proposition, which everyone needs to see, and Wake in Fright, which is directed by an Englishman and is basically a documentary.

The Rover is loving horrible, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

well why not posted:

As a country, we've also claimed Fury Road as our collective work. NZ can keep LOTR.

That's like Canada taking credit for Austin Powers and Wayne's World.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We don't give a gently caress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If they cut just enough of Furiosa's lines and gave a few more to The Dag and Organic they could have submitted it for Best Foreign Language Film.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nessus posted:

Australian fiction of all kinds is pretty bleak in general, which I've always found odd considering that in real life this is the land of milk and honey even compared to the rest of the first world.

Count Chocula posted:

The Rover I liked but found very disappointing after Animal Kingdom, which is not just one of the best Australian films I've ever seen but one of the best films in general I've ever seen.

The Proposition is also brilliant, but like David Michod, Hillcoat seems to be going downhill with each successive film.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Ravenfood posted:

That they acted as a ton of free advertising for the movie while doing it helped a lot, too.

The whole reason I saw this movie was because they were all crying and bitching, so I assumed it had to be a good movie.

I was not disappointed. :allears: Thanks MRAs!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

The whole reason I saw this movie was because they were all crying and bitching, so I assumed it had to be a good movie.

I was not disappointed. :allears: Thanks MRAs!

Yeah, I would probably have given this a pass as just another action meathead action film were it not for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from outraged MRAs.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

If they cut just enough of Furiosa's lines and gave a few more to The Dag and Organic they could have submitted it for Best Foreign Language Film.

My only complaint about Mad Max was the 'stupid made up sci-fi slang' like schlanger. My friend pointed out that all of it was real Australian bogan speak, then probably told me to go back to where I came from. I gotta be careful yelling 'fang it!' in a car, cause often people will just use that as an excuse to drive fast.

Gods of Egypt is pretty Australian in terms of cast and crew.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
First time I've heard Australian slang describes as sci-fi.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Count Chocula posted:

Gods of Egypt is pretty Australian in terms of cast and crew.

It should be pretty African in terms of cast, but what can you do?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

It should be pretty African in terms of cast, but what can you do?

Africa has enough problems.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So there's like a 100% chance Proyas didn't direct Dark City given how awful the rest of his career has been, right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

So there's like a 100% chance Proyas didn't direct Dark City given how awful the rest of his career has been, right?

I dunno, Dark City is good, but it's not like the direction in and of itself is what makes it good. I can totally see it being directed by the same person as The Crow and Knowing.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

What I'm taking away from this is the George Miller basically is Australian cinema.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I love Dark City. I met the model designer for it while doing work for the dole at a charity shop. She's now a hippie who renounced her sci-fi past and seemed pretty embarrassed by it. I want to see Gods of Egypt because it sounds trippy and fun. I did see Alex Proyas' bad photos of naked goths at an exhibition of local occult art.

Garage Days is trash though. If you want to know about the Sydney indie rock scene, imagine the exact opposite of that movie.

The biggest champion of Aussie cinema is noted local Quintin Tarantino. He hosted screenings of Mad Dog Morgan and Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith while he was down here promoting H8ful 8ful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Canemacar posted:

What I'm taking away from this is the George Miller basically is Australian cinema.

You mean Baz Luhrmann.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

freebooter posted:

Australian fiction of all kinds is pretty bleak in general, which I've always found odd considering that in real life this is the land of milk and honey even compared to the rest of the first world.
I assume it's the working class angle thing, or possibly all that desert you've got out back. (heh heh)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The movie closest to my experience of Australia is Wings of Desire, where a bunch of angels and artists see Crime and the City Solution, then eventually see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Ignore the fact that everything else in it is as German as brautwurst.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Count Chocula posted:

The movie closest to my experience of Australia is Wings of Desire, where a bunch of angels and artists see Crime and the City Solution, then eventually see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Ignore the fact that everything else in it is as German as brautwurst.
Combined with a Tarantino mention up there this made me go :stare: for a second because "braut" means "bride" in German. (It's Bratwurst)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mad Max is returning to IMAX for one night only here, and is also playing in a few normal theatres. Is that happening elsewhere in the world, or is Australia just going to run this into the ground? I guess I could go for a 9th viewing...

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

If you don't spoon feed your world to people, they act all confused. With studios for years stating you need to turn your brain off for movies, people have just been beaten into submission.

This is why Michael Bay can keep making movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

If you don't spoon feed your world to people, they act all confused. With studios for years stating you need to turn your brain off for movies, people have just been beaten into submission.

This is why Michael Bay can keep making movies.

Michael Bay is a weird example to use, since if you turn your brain on, you get a very different, much better movie, or series of movies, that's right there without ever being spelled out.

It's more like nothing is ever going to make everyone a hundred percent happy. People complain about Inception's exposition. People complain about Mad Max's lack of exposition. The problem is that the dissenting opinions (the complaining ones, both those movies are well liked) stand out more.

• Locked thread