Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soul Glo posted:

Here's a dumb rules question you guys might be able to help me with:

If I cast Bone Splinters, will the sacrifice cost of that spell also pump Nantuko Husk? I doubt it since cards like Bloodbond Vampire are worded as "whenever you _______, then _______" and Nantuko Husk doesn't have that, but I just wanna be sure.

No, it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

If I cast Bone Splinters, will the sacrifice cost of that spell also pump Nantuko Husk? I doubt it since cards like Bloodbond Vampire are worded as "whenever you _______, then _______" and Nantuko Husk doesn't have that, but I just wanna be sure.
It doesn't pump, anything before : is a cost.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Soul Glo posted:

You've got it right. "sacrifice a creature" is the cost for nantuko husk's ability.

Activated abilities look like "cost:effect" meaning that you have to pay the cost to that ability to get the effect.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If a card has been transformed and has no rules text on the face up side to transform again, transform triggers on the stack will have no effect.

I.e. huntmaster has rules on each side to transform. Delver and avacyn do not.

Or even "if there are transform triggers on the stack and the face of the card currently up has no transform rules text that card cannot be transformed."

My guess is they just make it so that the phrase "transform Archangel Avacyn" only applies to Archangel Avacyn.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Quick rules question, if I have Leonin Arbiter in play, other player pays 2, activates fetchland, with fetch on the stack, I flicker Leonin Arbiter, can he pay an additional 2 and still fetch or is he SOL because the fetch is already on the stack?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
6/8 of top 8 at GP Detroit is Eldrazi.

Competitive diversity something something

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks guys. Made a casual Aristocrats deck and want to play it correctly. Appreciate the help!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is they just make it so that the phrase "transform Archangel Avacyn" only applies to Archangel Avacyn.

I suggested it earlier, but the more I think about it, the uglier it is. It's creating a specific exception to a rule for no real reason. They could easily have templated avacyn to not have this issue, but now if they're changing the rule to be "~ refers to this object, except when you're talking about transform, then it doesn't" that's not at all a nice solution to the problem.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Thisuck posted:

Quick rules question, if I have Leonin Arbiter in play, other player pays 2, activates fetchland, with fetch on the stack, I flicker Leonin Arbiter, can he pay an additional 2 and still fetch or is he SOL because the fetch is already on the stack?

If it's on the stack, then there will be a round of priority before the fetch search resolves during which he could pay 2.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Thisuck posted:

He can pay again because he gets priority before the fetch resolves.

A big flaming stink posted:

6/8 of top 8 at GP Detroit is Eldrazi.

Competitive diversity something something

Living End ban incoming.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 6, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Cool thanks, that's what I thought as well, I just had a conflicting answer from someone who is usually very good with rulings.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My guess is they'll make it so that transforming makes it a new game object. It'll make Civilized Scholar able to dodge removal but most transforms are triggers

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

I suggested it earlier, but the more I think about it, the uglier it is. It's creating a specific exception to a rule for no real reason. They could easily have templated avacyn to not have this issue, but now if they're changing the rule to be "~ refers to this object, except when you're talking about transform, then it doesn't" that's not at all a nice solution to the problem.

Just make it so ~CARDNAME~ refers to "this card, with this name."

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That would mess up like, the whole rules system.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bonus posted:

That would mess up like, the whole rules system.

Necrotic Ooze would lose half of its activated abilities.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Just make it so ~CARDNAME~ refers to "this card, with this name."

This makes poo poo like necrotic ooze and sakashima the imposter work very very differently.

It would also make cryptoplasm not work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

This makes poo poo like necrotic ooze and sakashima the imposter work very very differently.

It would also make cryptoplasm not work.

I suppose. I don't know all of the cards, but they've already got some kind of solution ready to go given Tabak's blog.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

It's possible that there are other cards in the set that would work wrongly/unintuitively with the current rules. Maybe at some point they decided to change it to open up that design space.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Go Ralph Petesh, the last hope against the Eldrazi menace! (also a local at my store)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Aaron forsythe is on stream is on stream suggesting the eldrazi isn't a big problem.

Okay maybe not, but still not wanting to emergency anything.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

aaron forsythe is on stream is on stream suggesting the eldrazi isn't a big problem.

You do know lower Defcon numbers are worse right?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Sickening posted:

Aaron forsythe is on stream is on stream suggesting the eldrazi isn't a big problem.

Okay maybe not, but still not wanting to emergency anything.

He just effectively said that they're going to ban something from it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah it's weird that in the first half of the interview he kind of danced around it and then just said "Yeah, there will be intervention but it's not 100% what that will be yet"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rogue0071 posted:

He just effectively said that they're going to ban something from it.

Very true at least.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He did say he wants the deck to be around in some form.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is there even a relevant modern event before the B&R now?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mehall posted:

Nothing like a GP or SCG Open.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

Its basically blind stubbornness at this point. He acknowledged this is the worst anything has been in a long time but kept referencing the update date. The only upside is pretty nill by waiting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And when things were bad before they waited until the normal time to ban something. An emergency ban was never on the table.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Nothing like a GP or SCG Open.

Nope, this was the event that everyone kept insisting someone would solve the issue by.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Emergency bans aren't on the table unless whatever is up for ban is making people quit the game en masse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Emergency bans aren't on the table unless whatever is up for ban is making people quit the game en masse.

If it hurts sales, its banned. If it helps sales, it stays unbanned longer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's not true. The one and only emergency ban ever was on a new card (Memory Jar).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
They have not banned cards outside of the ban date before. The last emergency ban was adding a card to the banlist after the update was announced, when they used to announce them a month prior to the ban date.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

They have not banned cards outside of the ban date before. The last emergency ban was adding a card to the banlist after the update was announced, when they used to announce them a month prior to the ban date.

Who honestly gives a poo poo about this but WOTC? I am asking honestly. I just don't see how waiting benefits you, me, or anyone.

Updating the banned list isn't this colossal effort of communication. Now if this means that this can't happen because of MTGO or something then :downsbravo: .

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 6, 2016

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's not true. The one and only emergency ban ever was on a new card (Memory Jar).

There was also an emergency restriction in vintage on Mind's Desire before it was released, which at the time meant it was banned in type 1.5 which no one cares about before they changed the ban lost and called it Legacy

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Memory Jar was kind of a unique case context-wise because it came out just as they were grappling with the fallout from the previous set, which had already shat all over a bunch of people's desire to play Magic. There was probably a very real feeling that Memory Jar could be the nail in tournament Magic's coffin.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Even then they didn't just come out and say "Memory Jar is now banned", but they announced that it would be banned in a month or something. The B&R dates makes it so players know they'll get to play with their cards for at least some time, instead of having their decks banned just as they're going to take them to FNM or a larger event.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I really wonder what exactly they were thinking when Urza's block was in design, given it was coming off of a relatively low powered block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I dunno if the block as a whole was overpowered, they just went to some very dangerous places (free spells, lands that tap for a lot of mana) without proper caution.

Bonus posted:

Even then they didn't just come out and say "Memory Jar is now banned", but they announced that it would be banned in a month or something. The B&R dates makes it so players know they'll get to play with their cards for at least some time, instead of having their decks banned just as they're going to take them to FNM or a larger event.
Yeah it's probably about preserving the principle of "you can play with these cards for at least a few months" rather than pulling the rug from under people. We can survive two months of an overpowered deck existing.

• Locked thread