Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm still playing with this random richiro french guy's name.

I was watching his Ryu replays and seemed ok, I dont know what name he would be under now since all those. Is he just getting double replays ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

boblemoche posted:

Oh, it's Richiro from my town, the guy used to run a local fighting games association named La Dose. He used to play a pretty good Fei in USF4, it's weird seeing him play Gief.

I'm playing Gief, I beat his Ryu in ranked yesterday and now I'm stuck using his name.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

i thought europe loved tekken or something

thats true but tekken is really hard and im not a hard man. ive made some attempts to get into it mostly when people grudgingly agree to a virtua fighter quid pro quo

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
When Tekken 7 comes out on consoles and has amazing netcode and is actually feature complete and has Akuma, we will welcome weary SF scrubs w/ open arms.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
will you let them #riseup off the ground though

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
lol no

#knoccemdown

#runithomie

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm playing Gief, I beat his Ryu in ranked yesterday and now I'm stuck using his name.

Oh, ok, next time I meet him I'll tell him he's got a reluctant impersonator. :D
Hope these bugs will be sorted out soon.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Recently found out that in Windows 10 at least, if you're playing SF5 and your windows update scheduler pops up, it will not shift focus from SF5, but it will make you think your controller just broke. Great

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is uPnP implemented per game or is it all handed by the PS4? I seem to remember some games would handle uPnP on their own and do a bad job at it and thus became much better with matchmaking when you forwarded the ports manually, but forgot what game I'm thinking of. Anyways, might be the case with SF5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/497jks/lets_fix_the_internet_matchmaking_room_creation/

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Voodoo posted:

It really seems like the fastest way to get random matches is to just to just sit in the main menu with Fight Request on.

I also really wish you could select different people for Ranked and Casual match-ups. I don't mind having to set a character to avoid character select, but let me choose a different person for each mode.

Welp those are my requests Capcom, back to losing with Gief.

Casual should just have character select. I understand having a favourite character for Ranked, but Casual should let you pick.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gunder posted:

Casual should just have character select. I understand having a favourite character for Ranked, but Casual should let you pick.

Agree

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I enjoy the banter between the SF5 Defense Force and the Shitpost Brigade a lot more than I've liked watching the actual game being played, for what it's worth. It's ok for people to call the game bad both for the myriad justified reasons and just for subjective personal ones, and it's also okay to ignore them and like/enjoy the game regardless whether you think it's good/bad/ugly (trust me, I like and enjoy plenty of mediocre to awful games).

Personally speaking, I think there are some interesting design decisions among a few of the characters (Sim, Gief, Chun, Rashid, Mika) that get unfortunately overshadowed by other design decisions that will lead to the game growing stale faster than previous entries. I also think Capcom did a spectacularly poor job both of trying to cater to the casual market (for real story mode, come back in four months) and in trying to appease the hardcore crowd (lack of directinput support on PC, netcode that will pick one player to favor if things hiccup in a certain way, their matchmaking code reacting weird with certain NAT types, server going down affecting local/offline play, etc.). The people who want to cover their ears and go LA LA LA about all this are weird to me because these are problems that should be discussed and perhaps even made fun of repeatedly. Capcom was probably rushed either by their own higher ups or by Sony to release this, but that's not a free pass to avoid criticism over the problems that have resulted from that.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

yeah, I posted that. what don't you get about this statement? have you never played fgs before this or something? direct competition between two players is inherently fun, at least for me. if the engine is snappy, responsive, and nuanced, it can be even more fun. but this same game could have glitches, balance issues, or design decisions that preclude it from ever coming close to being "good"

They are in no way related to specifically fighting games.

A games purpose is to be fun, if it's fun it can't be bad. It can be not as good which is entirely personal preference, but it's only bad if it fails to be fun.

Treating your opinion on how good something is as objective truth is retarded.

Good job on the attempt to exclude me as an outsider who hasn't played a fighting game before, guess I forgot my required FGC ID card to understand fun.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I really like it when I play against Laura's who don't know they can't charge fireballs in neutral.

https://a.pomf.cat/dbvbfo.webm

cams
Mar 28, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I really like it when I play against Laura's who don't know they can't charge fireballs in neutral.

https://a.pomf.cat/dbvbfo.webm
laura can't really throw fireballs at all against gief, from any position on screen. that roundhouse beats even meaty fireballs clean.

hate that matchup

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fellblade posted:

A games purpose is to be fun, if it's fun it can't be bad. It can be not as good which is entirely personal preference, but it's only bad if it fails to be fun.

have you never played or watched Marvel vs Capcom 3

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Fellblade posted:

A games purpose is to be fun, if it's fun it can't be bad.

Lots of people find tic-tac-toe to be fun.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fellblade posted:

Strongly disagree.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Pomp posted:

have you never played or watched Marvel vs Capcom 3

Yes to both?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Lots of people find tic-tac-toe to be fun.

I doubt lots but what's your point? That those people are wrong because you don't like it?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

If they think tic-tac-toe is a good/interesting/whatever competitive game, they are wrong.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If they think tic-tac-toe is a good/interesting/whatever competitive game, they are wrong.

It's very interesting as it's fundamentals are the base of every competitive game that exists. I'm obviously wrong but I find the Game Theory stuff really interesting.

I think you'd struggle to find somebody who would say it's fun though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I enjoy the banter between the SF5 Defense Force and the Shitpost Brigade a lot more than I've liked watching the actual game being played, for what it's worth. It's ok for people to call the game bad both for the myriad justified reasons and just for subjective personal ones, and it's also okay to ignore them and like/enjoy the game regardless whether you think it's good/bad/ugly (trust me, I like and enjoy plenty of mediocre to awful games).

Capcom was probably rushed either by their own higher ups or by Sony to release this, but that's not a free pass to avoid criticism over the problems that have resulted from that.

I don't think anyone here who is defending the game is saying it's without fault, it's just the same 2-3 guys that just shuffle in here, repeat the same poo poo which either 1) may not even be applicable to the game post-release, 2) isn't really relevant to people here having fun, or 3) just antagonizes people for liking the game at all.

If people want to criticize and approach it from the direction of "They need to add a zoner" or "I wish damage was higher", sure, that's fine and I could agree with both of those examples. Instead, it's just shitposting.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
whoever goes first in tic tac toe is gonna win

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fellblade posted:

Breaking Sonic 06 with its own glitches can be a fun experience. Would you say it is a good game though?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I think from now on if you wanna argue about stupid poo poo you can just FT10 on street fighter or whatever and not bring it in this thread

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why not play the original fighting game - chess

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Chess didn't get good until turbo.
Can you believe people once played it without stopclocks?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Agoat posted:

I think from now on if you wanna argue about stupid poo poo you can just FT10 on street fighter or whatever and not bring it in this thread

Remember when you got a mod to lock the old thread and made a terrible OP with no input from anybody else.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Gorp posted:

Chess didn't get good until turbo.
Can you believe people once played it without stopclocks?

Don't play the ai

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Agoat posted:

It's actually the best part of this thread.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
just hate on sfv in the general fighting games thread.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
No new patch news, right? Or did someone say it was due this upcoming week?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haunts said we'd be getting patch news at some point this month

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
Why are the normals so short?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

checkstock posted:

Shhhhh shut up or youll be exiled to the funhater camp!!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Corbeau posted:

No new patch news, right? Or did someone say it was due this upcoming week?

News about the patch is due this upcoming week, according to a Capcom blog post.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

checkstock posted:

Potatoes don't have arms.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Remember when you got a mod to lock the old thread and made a terrible OP with no input from anybody else.

Oh no how terrible. :qq:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://a.pomf.cat/clovew.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

bhsman posted:

Oh no how terrible. :qq:

It actually was pretty terrible given the effort put into the OPs of other fighting game threads, including multi-poster collab work on the MvC3/UMvC3 OPs, Brosnan's TTT2 thread, several iterations of SF4 threads (RIP The Icy Chill Zone), etc. It seems like it's improved now thanks to the efforts of other posters, though.