Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I like Mark Hamill's performances as the Joker but really? Rocksteady's answer to people maybe being a little sick of the Joker is to kill him off and then immediately bring him back multiplied by 5 and one of his incarnations is imaginary so you can't even punch him in the face?

I don't like bait-and-switch tactics like this at all. I didn't like it in "Star Trek: Into Darkness". I didn't like it in "Spectre". And I don't like it here. I get that it's hard to keep a secret in the age of the Internet, but lying to your audience in order to conceal that you're just telling the same story again? It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Oh well. I guess we'll see where it leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Joker blood turning people into the Joker is stupid

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Ra's blood was never presented as definitely offering a cure. Batman was also exposed to much more of Joker's blood than others.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nihilarian posted:

Joker blood turning people into the Joker is stupid
Its a comic book type of stupid though, I'll allow it for now

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

Its a comic book type of stupid though, I'll allow it for now

You'll allow it period. None of us have any say in this matter.

I, personally, have been a Batman fan since I was very very small. I nearly had my name legally changed to Batman when I was 5. I love everything Batman, including the Joker, and I'm pretty sick of Joker. I'd love to see another villain of his get an honest-to-god game all to themselves at this level, and not have Joker sweep in to try to take over the attention. I was really digging Scarecrow being the big bad of this game, cuz I think that he could have been a solid replacement without feeling like we're dropping to lesser people.

Ah well. Hopefully Scarecrow still gets some good stuff to go down.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I just finished the game and... huh. That is an ending.
All in all, I think it was 40 hours well spent, although a couple of the colletibles managed to almost drive me crazy. Definitely a better game than Origins and I actually quite liked how the story turned out. I'm not a comics fan, mind.

All in call, this LP can't update fast enough.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I honestly don't really like Joker as a character and I don't really get why I like Hamill and Ledger's jokers anyway. It's a "bees should not scientifically be able to fly (buzzzzzz there went a bee)" kind of thing.

My secret hope against hope for the next star wars movie is that there's outtakes where luke skywalker just starts talking like the joker for no reason, and maybe rey reacts in character to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel that people's reverence for the Joker is getting out of hand and actually tainting portrayals of the character, as evidence by things like the Joker just HAVING to be in this game and HAVING to bring Mark out of retirement a THIRD TIME, as well as the stories from the Suicide Squad set about Jared Leto's stupid loving shenanigans that would get any other actor playing any other role loving fired.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
All this hate...

Guess I'm one of the few that could NEVER get tired of Mark's Joker voice, and any excuse to get it back into action is fine by me.

Now I'm sad since (barring the killing joke, if it ever comes out), this is the last of Mark's Joker :saddowns:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel that people's reverence for the Joker is getting out of hand and actually tainting portrayals of the character, as evidence by things like the Joker just HAVING to be in this game and HAVING to bring Mark out of retirement a THIRD TIME, as well as the stories from the Suicide Squad set about Jared Leto's stupid loving shenanigans that would get any other actor playing any other role loving fired.

That's just Jared Leto being a loving shithead, which he's reportedly been before on other sets and concert tours. People blaming his behavior on being Joker just like the myth of it loving with people, like why people think it killed Heath Ledger rather than him having, you know, a drug problem.

That said, I agree 100%. I'm not even mad about Joker being in the game - him being a fear gas hallucination that Bats keeps having is fine and makes perfect sense. But the loving Joker blood thing? That can take a hike. It's one more deeply unnecessary twist in a game chock full of unnecessary twists. And I'm tired of Joker being the main threat and sidelining all of Batman's other great villains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Acne Rain posted:

I honestly don't really like Joker as a character and I don't really get why I like Hamill and Ledger's jokers anyway. It's a "bees should not scientifically be able to fly (buzzzzzz there went a bee)" kind of thing.

My secret hope against hope for the next star wars movie is that there's outtakes where luke skywalker just starts talking like the joker for no reason, and maybe rey reacts in character to it.

Because Hamill's Joker is oddly charismatic despite loving him some murder and Ledger's Joker is... I dunno. I guess in the case of Ledger's Joker it's easier to see his whole "People are garbage and I'm trying to prove that" ideology that sometimes comes up with the Joker (re: The Killing Joke), whereas regular comics Joker is the kind of guy who sometimes just kills people if he finds it funny or not.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

All in all, I rather enjoyed this game's take on handling Joker. I do agree that including him wasn't necessary, and I do think that if Arkham Origins never happened, then maybe it wouldn't seem so bad that he shows up as a main plot thread in YET ANOTHER Arkham game, but oh well.

Still, the game does some fun stuff with his appearance, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this LP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a human prion disorder, meaning that the Joker Infection is Mad Clown Disease. I'm betting the writers couldn't avoid allowing themselves that little pun.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
So...Batman's a member of the Insane Clown Posse?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a human prion disorder, meaning that the Joker Infection is Mad Clown Disease. I'm betting the writers couldn't avoid allowing themselves that little pun.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm fairly certain that term is actually used at one point.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

CJacobs posted:

If only we had The Jokester instead of these guys :sigh:

I'd much rather have the Trickster instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNJ2Sl0VmU.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I just realized that 'Joker's crazy is actually inside his blood' is a real comic book science leap.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Quiet Python posted:

I like Mark Hamill's performances as the Joker but really? Rocksteady's answer to people maybe being a little sick of the Joker is to kill him off and then immediately bring him back multiplied by 5 and one of his incarnations is imaginary so you can't even punch him in the face?

Thread title lives up to name.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
caught up. Was hoping this wasn't as dumb as it sounds but it was.

I should be all over this kind of silver age comic book level stupid of joker blood making people all jokery but I'm not happy with it.

(does this work with other people? Should batman give people bat blood and make a bunch of batmans?)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

I should be all over this kind of silver age comic book level stupid of joker blood making people all jokery but I'm not happy with it.

(does this work with other people? Should batman give people bat blood and make a bunch of batmans?)

Axe Cop is in this game, isn't he?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Should batman give people bat blood and make a bunch of batmans?

Isn't this literally how Terry McGinnis becomes Batman?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

you shut your whore mouth warren mcginnis is his real dad and terry deserves at least that bit of happiness

gently caress that was the dumbest thing and i hate that amanda waller is the one responsible

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not exactly. He was just a regular kid in Beyond but a season finale (wasn't renewed yet so it could have been the series finale) of JLU felt the need to tie them genetically via a dumb 'the future needs a batman too' Waller plot. The end of JLU would have marked the end of the DCAU after 10+ years so the creators wanted to tie the whole thing together iirc. That revelation definitely received a mix reception at the time too.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 7, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Edminster posted:

you shut your whore mouth warren mcginnis is his real dad and terry deserves at least that bit of happiness

gently caress that was the dumbest thing and i hate that amanda waller is the one responsible

Ohhhh, that explains why Amanda Waller was doing things in Vol. 3 of Batman Beyond the 2013 comic! ARGH!

...I hate that woman. Not because of her physique, or skin, or anything like that. No, because she's a bigger schemer and manipulator than Beyond's Bruce Wayne can be, and about five times less likable.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I'd much rather have the Trickster instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNJ2Sl0VmU.

I'm so drat glad he reprised that role too. I can smell them in your poooo-cket!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In a sea of strong performances (Barry's three dads spring to mind), Mark Hamill's two guest spots are the strongest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Probably the best part of that whole ordeal is that a loving Serial Killer refused to play ball with Waller because what she was doing was so profoundly hosed up. Even if Bruce was the gene donor he wasn't Terry's father, and that's what matters.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I am Jack's obsession with Batman.

Yeah, unnecessary plot twist to add into a game that is already trying my patience with the previous mystery. Man, so far this really feels like the pre-production team handed in the perfect Scarecrow game brief, and someone just started messing with it.
"BUT BUT BUT it needs a mystery enemy who is deeply aware of Batman's weaknesses but for some reason has not briefed his men on them before the game!"
"OH AND where's the Joker? What do you mean you killed him off? Bring him back! Everyone knows that Batman's only real villain is the Joker, we accidentally got rid of the sexual tension between Batman and Robin so you can't kill off his other Not-Boyfriend!"
"ALSO I checked the notes on your previous games, and it looks like Oracle hasn't been kidnapped yet. What gives? She's only a girl in a wheelchair, she's practically begging for it."

Maybe it'll win me over later, but right now it'll be an uphill battle.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't Dini wind up leaving the creative team before Arkham Knight was developed? Might be why the wheels came off.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Dini wind up leaving the creative team before Arkham Knight was developed? Might be why the wheels came off.

It's not like the writing in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City was all that great regardless of Dini's input.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CuwiKhons posted:

It's not like the writing in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City was all that great regardless of Dini's input.

I think those two were more internally consistent. I mean, I suppose Asylum was originally supposed to be a standalone game that could more-or-less 'fit' into the DC canon such as it stood back in what, 2009? Back when Steph was Batgirl, Cass was Blackbat, and the Batfamily seemed to be in a pretty good shape. Before the dark times. Before the New 52.

Is it me or did Oracle seem to get a lot younger from Asylum & City? She seems a lot closer to how she appeared in Origins.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you ever met her in Asylum and City, it was all voicecomm.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oracle looks almost exactly like a friend of mine from college, I keep doing double-takes. I guess that's credit to facial modeling technology.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think you ever met her in Asylum and City, it was all voicecomm.

Well she sounded older in those games, at least to my ears.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I have no strong feelings towards the Joker plot twist, but

Omobono posted:

Kidnapping the sane carrier guy, though? Not cool, Batman, not cool. You could let the dude out, it's not like he'd disappear to avoid the blood testing bat-syringes.

this had me surprised. With comic book writing I am never quite sure what they're going for, is Batman now slipping into super-villain territory, possibly because he had a bad case of Joker even before getting fear-gassed, or are we supposed to think it's Batman making the hard moral choices compared to a small-minded Gordon?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Detaining an innocent guy against his will is absolutely hosed up and out of character, and it boils down to sloppy writing, I think. Kinda like how Bruce would ideally refrain from killing people, which he's totally not doing in this game (these games), totally, these dozens of guys with broken legs/necks/backs and hours away from a working hospital are totally going to survive, that's not murder at all, no sir. Also how these tanks are all unmanned drones, so endangering the lives/property of those around him by blowing the gently caress out of the streets is totally okay, it totally counts, no guns, no killing, everything's fine.

It's all part of Batman's real superpower: "gently caress it."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Liver posted:

It's all part of Batman's real superpower: "gently caress it I'm rich."

Fixed it for you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

John Liver posted:

Detaining an innocent guy against his will is absolutely hosed up and out of character, and it boils down to sloppy writing, I think.

I think this is probably right. I've been increasingly unimpressed with the writing in this series. Asylum had a stupid plot but at least everyone was acting in character and made for some fun lines and cool fights. City had a slightly dumber plot that required several characters to act stupid and wildly out of character for brief moments (the mr. freeze fight for instance). Origins had an even worse plot that had many heavily contrived sequences entirely designed to force the Joker in front of the camera as much as possible, and here we've already had

a) Batman holding people against their will for vaguely defined research purposes
b) A falling-out between Batman and Gordon made possible only by both of them acting like they're in junior high
c) Our only female ally helplessly kidnapped offscreen
d) Joker shoved back in front of the camera AGAIN

I could probably go on but that's plenty. The game is very stylish and the mechanics look fun, but I'm getting less and less invested in the plot with each new cutscene.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Fixed it for you.
You know, a Marxist analysis of Batman would be something to behold.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Mzbundifund posted:

I think this is probably right. I've been increasingly unimpressed with the writing in this series. Asylum had a stupid plot but at least everyone was acting in character and made for some fun lines and cool fights. City had a slightly dumber plot that required several characters to act stupid and wildly out of character for brief moments (the mr. freeze fight for instance). Origins had an even worse plot that had many heavily contrived sequences entirely designed to force the Joker in front of the camera as much as possible, and here we've already had

a) Batman holding people against their will for vaguely defined research purposes
b) A falling-out between Batman and Gordon made possible only by both of them acting like they're in junior high
c) Our only female ally helplessly kidnapped offscreen
d) Joker shoved back in front of the camera AGAIN

I could probably go on but that's plenty. The game is very stylish and the mechanics look fun, but I'm getting less and less invested in the plot with each new cutscene.

I expect the reason Batman has Adams imprisoned is similar to the reason the military in Left 4 Dead has a "detain/shoot TMs on sight" policy: he suspects that Adams is actually still infected, but simply showing no outward symptoms. Perhaps as soon as he's released, Adams starts his Master Plan.

But yeah, as far as anyone who is not Batman can see, a billionaire vigilante has kidnapped and unlawfully detained a schoolteacher because he's "suspiciously law-abiding." I will be okay with this if we get another Mr. Freeze-style boss fight out of him (that one was awesome, I would like to see how they could turn Kindly Schoolteacher into something like that, it'd be hilarious), I will not be okay with this if he actually is just immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The billionaire has also kidnapped and unlawfully detained three other people. Just because they're turning into the Joker doesn't mean you can keep them in Bat-Jail! Wouldn't this be one of those situations where you tie them up and then leave them hanging from a lamppost outside a hospital or something?

• Locked thread