Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Does the skull cave in the desert have a bottom? My record is 97 floors but I don't think it's possible to get much further without cheating. I'm hoping it ends at 130 maybe same as the mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Jaramin posted:

You desperately need to be able to buy Iridium ore from the blacksmith, right now it's so rare it might as well not be in the game.

I think that's the point. There's honestly no reason to have the iridium gear unless you want maximum optimization, you can straight up buy Iridium Sprinklers elsewhere, and you can get them from geodes.

I agree: I barely have any - but I don't mind that I can't buy it because I'm in Winter 1 and there are slowly becoming fewer and fewer things for me to accomplish. If I was able to just dive into Mine 115F or the Skull Mine (2scary) and dig up as much Iridium as I could gold at the moment (or even a third of that) I would get all endgame stuff in a day or two.

Even if the guy sold it, it would only take a matter of crop cycles because at that point in the game money isn't an object.

But these are just my opinions so w/e

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PhantomZero posted:

On the goon wiki someone has locked the fish tab, but I just caught a Sturgeon in the Winter but the wiki says it is Summer only. Can someone change it?

At this point the wiki is pretty solid and would serve as a better guide than the doc for Fishing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why do some of my crops just disappear overnight? I have a scarecrow up, do I need to build a fence around them? The whole plant is gone.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah now it's been more than a couple of days since release the main wiki is getting some decent content.

Still some gaps though and I like the goon spreadsheet as a quick gift lookup table still.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
How necessary is the heater? I'm getting ready for Winter. Four chickens, just bought two cows, but I need to know if I need 1, 2, or none.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Meldonox posted:

A buddy gifted me this but I haven't been playing it since my mobo is out on RMA. I've been making do with Rune Factory 4 but I'm not too far away from getting started. I can't keep up with the thread at the rate it's going and didn't see anything of particular use in the OP. Is there any consensus on good beginner tips?

I'm going to list a bunch of tips here in no particular order:

- The game has no end or fail state. Don't stress out over missing stuff, at absolute worst you'll have to wait a year for some seasonal stuff to roll around again.

- Each season is 28 days long. When the new season starts, anything you had planted will be destroyed (except corn in summer/fall, and greenhouse plants). Be mindful of planting stuff in the last week of the month.

- You can refill your watering can from any water source. There's a small pond just south of the farmhouse, on the right side, which is pretty conveniently placed.

- Pierre sells two backpack upgrades which expand your inventory. These are really, really useful.

- Check the TV each day. Living Off The Land has useful tips, and Queen of Sauce unlocks cooking recipes.

- If you want to upgrade your watering can without leaving your crops dry, check the TV weather report. When it says it will rain tomorrow, water your plants for the day and then start the upgrade. You can then pick it up the day after tomorrow.

- Nothing grows in Winter (except for wild seeds) so it's a good time to upgrade your tools, explore the mine, etc.

- Cooking requires a kitchen, which you get by upgrading the farmhouse once. It also includes a fridge, which you can keep ingredients in. The cooking menu will pull stuff from both the fridge and your current inventory when showing which recipes you can make.

- Before you build a coop or a barn, you will probably want a silo to store hay in. Animals need to be fed hay on rainy days and in the winter, and if you don't have a silo full of it then you'll have to buy it from Marney, which eats into your profits.

- Don't bother scything down long grass until you have a silo. When the silo is built, any grass you cut down will add hay directly to the silo.

- Pierre's shop is closed on Wednesdays and any other day after 5pm. You can still buy seeds from JojaMart, which is open 9am - 11pm every day, but they are more expensive.

- You can choose to either help with the Community Center or buy a Jojamart Membership. The Community Center requires you to gather specific items, while the Jojamart center just charges you cash for each bundle. Also it's evil.

- You can marry and have kids with any of the single characters, as either gender. Simultaneous romances are fine, too.

- It's worth building a stable very close to your house, so you can get around quicker. The horse will always return to the stable next morning, no matter where you leave it.

- Every Friday and Sunday a travelling trader will show up in the area south of your farm, just north of the wizard tower. Their inventory is mostly random, so you can sometimes pick up things you can't get in the current season - handy for the community center. He sometimes sells sprinklers on the cheap, too.

- You can give two gifts to each villager per week. There's an exhaustive table of who likes what here, but it's easier to just carry a big pile of stuff that everyone likes and hand them out at random. Cheap cooked food and flowers are good for this.

- You can see whose birthday is when on the calendar outside Pierre's. People extra-like getting presents on their birthday.

- You can also raise affection by talking to people daily. Affection gained this way can be lost if you ignore them for long enough, but affection from gifts never goes away.

- Once you reach 10 hearts with someone, they'll stay that way for good.

- Selling stuff via the farm bin nets you the same amount as selling stuff to an NPC shop, but the latter gets you cash upfront if you need it

- You can sell spare weapons and equipment at the Adventurer's Guild near the mine.

- Sometimes you will see wriggling worms (or stalks?) poking out of the ground. Use your hoe on them and you'll dig something up.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 7, 2016

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
This is the 5th most played game on Steam right now. It's nice to see his work over the past few years pay off.

Also I'm currently at 99.2 hours played at the moment, send help (don't send help). Best value for money in a long, long time. Now I just need to finish the current farm and not be tempted to restart halfway through year 2 again...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, get DS4Windows and it will register your Dual Shock 4 as though it were a 360 controller.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DropsySufferer posted:

Does the skull cave in the desert have a bottom? My record is 97 floors but I don't think it's possible to get much further without cheating. I'm hoping it ends at 130 maybe same as the mine?

My understanding is that it's infinite.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Wall degeneration is a weird mechanic since their only benefits are cosmetic and making it easier to pet your livestock while pasturing. If there was a danger of animals getting lost, either via wandering or coyotes getting at them, then maintaining or teching up your fences would be more of a mechanic. Maybe coyotes were in but taken out along with butchering for the sake of animal lovers?

Is there any idea if we will see major content/systems adding mods for this or are we left waiting on the dev? Stuff like the more in depth brewing people seem to want, or a more involved livestock mod that adds butchery and shepherding.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Cicadalek posted:

- Each season is 28 days long. When the new season starts, anything you had planted will be destroyed (except corn in summer/fall, and greenhouse plants). Be mindful of planting stuff in the last week of the month.
Awhile back I was talking to a friend of mine while the two of us were playing the game (the same friend whose purchase convinced me to pick this game up), he was a few weeks ahead of me and had just finished seeding and watering his fields; he went to bed, the seasons switched over, and he lost several thousand bucks worth of seeds, which even given the laid back nature of the game is a pretty brutal thing to wake up to in the morning.

Neither of us mind having certain crops restricted to certain seasons, but given the flow of the game and the potential to blow all your cash early, I think a little warning of some kind like maybe a letter would be in order.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I would really like if there was an ingame diary or organizer you could use to alert yourself for stuff like that. Like, i don't give a poo poo about most people's birthdays but if I'm working on raising a specific person's hearts then I could write "THROW DIAMOND AT GUS TODAY" and get a reminder when I wake up on that day. Other reminders could include "Winter soon, don't plant anything" or "greenhouse plants finish growing today"

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone know how to edit the save so that, for example the crimsonfish or other legendary fish is findable again?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cicadalek posted:

I would really like if there was an ingame diary or organizer you could use to alert yourself for stuff like that. Like, i don't give a poo poo about most people's birthdays but if I'm working on raising a specific person's hearts then I could write "THROW DIAMOND AT GUS TODAY" and get a reminder when I wake up on that day. Other reminders could include "Winter soon, don't plant anything" or "greenhouse plants finish growing today"

I'd love this too. Also placeable signs I could write on and then click so I could label my fields.

Oh, and don't think to yourself on the last day of winter 'I'll just till the fields and fertilise them to save time tomorrow' because they totally reset and it won't count.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Just had my first bad crash. Some event with Penny in the woods and I was answering questions and bam. I have so many plots to water and animals to pet again. I hope this isn't recurring.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chump Farts posted:

Just had my first bad crash. Some event with Penny in the woods and I was answering questions and bam. I have so many plots to water and animals to pet again. I hope this isn't recurring.

That event is bugged, I think the first convo option doesn't crash the game. Should be fixed in the next update

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Also it seems like the Greenhouse ground does lose fertilization when the seasons change, but to make up for that you can fertilize planted crops (unlike outdoors where you can't)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, on month rollower, the Greenhouse loses fertilizer effects, that sucks.

E: damnit

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Daztek posted:

That event is bugged, I think the first convo option doesn't crash the game. Should be fixed in the next update

Worked like a charm. Can I bouquet more than one anime lady?

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

This is a fantastic idea. Please tweet it at the dev.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

HopperUK posted:

Oh, and don't think to yourself on the last day of winter 'I'll just till the fields and fertilise them to save time tomorrow' because they totally reset and it won't count.

I havent played for a bit but I'm actually curious to try something. Because I know I can plant wheat a bit before the end of summer and just leave it till fall 1. If its fully grown it doesnt kill the plants but you dont really need it to be fully grown I imagine. So what I'd be curious to try is to set up my fields for spring towards the end of winter and just plant the wild seeds in the fields. Come Spring 1 they'll all be dead obviously but it should retain the plant and tilled soil. You'll have to scythe down the plants and put down new fertilizer but that is a whole lot easier and quicker than having to till everything. Plus I would imagine that all those squares would be watered as well since they were tilled when the season changed.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
A pop up in the corner is even fine for that. One akin to the "A train is passing through Stardew Valley" alert

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Wait, so the crashing isn't normal? I could be playing this endlessly for HOURS?!

Serves me right for loving around with mods. My save file is probably hosed to poo poo. It's like farming to the extreme, cause I never know when the game will crash and I will lose it all. haaaa!

Chump Farts posted:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nonpromqueen posted:

Wait, so the crashing isn't normal? I could be playing this endlessly for HOURS?!

Serves me right for loving around with mods. My save file is probably hosed to poo poo. It's like farming to the extreme, cause I never know when the game will crash and I will lose it all. haaaa!

I've never had a crash in 37 hours.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Sankis posted:

My understanding is that it's infinite.

I don't think it ends.
I wasn't willing to take the time to keep crafting stairs all the way down to 4 digits, and couldn't find a way to explicitly set the level

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus Christ. I'm kind of glad I did gently caress up my save file then. This is my third save, and I'm not starting over again (yet)

I'd never sleep.

My error log only mentions "Microsoft.Xna.Framework" stuff though, and I have no idea how to fix it. I'm guessing it's all the mods I've been playing with though.

HopperUK posted:

I've never had a crash in 37 hours.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

nonpromqueen posted:

Has anyone found a fruit tree layout they like? I'm still deciding where to place mine.

Depends how many you want. I plant my trees in a 2 x 6 south of your tiny pond. 2 of each tree per season. But I don't use them as a money crop. Just a "collect them all" for various achievements.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

nonpromqueen posted:

It happens to a lot of people, some of the heart events are bugged if you pick certain options. Should be fixed pretty soon.

Revol posted:

What I want most out of modding in this game is a community-driven project to add more dialogue to the game. I envision a group effort, where anyone can volunteer dialogue for any character, while the project is led by editors who control what gets added to the mod, to make sure dialogue remains in character and appropriate for the story.

I've been thinking this, too. It'd take a lot of work off CA if the community worked together and fleshed out the characters some more, especially if modders find a way to add new scripted events, adding dates, new heart events, and even fleshing out marriage a bit. Those involved could focus on fleshing out certain characters which work out a lot better than a couple people trying to flesh out everyone at once.

Hopefully such a project will pop up soon.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

nonpromqueen posted:

Jesus Christ. I'm kind of glad I did gently caress up my save file then. This is my third save, and I'm not starting over again (yet)

I'd never sleep.

My error log only mentions "Microsoft.Xna.Framework" stuff though, and I have no idea how to fix it. I'm guessing it's all the mods I've been playing with though.

I had no crashes for 40+ then tried a mod and crashed the first day.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I finally caught them all

You get a hidden reward for it too, it's a stardrop.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah now it's been more than a couple of days since release the main wiki is getting some decent content.

Still some gaps though and I like the goon spreadsheet as a quick gift lookup table still.

Totally. Ideally I get all the villagers on a single quick infographic so I can just leave it up on a second monitor and not have to scroll.

But I've almost maxed everyone out and memorized most everyone's primary gift.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I got stuck on my horse trying to board the bus and had to close the game.

Still GOTY.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Harmburger posted:

I had no crashes for 40+ then tried a mod and crashed the first day.

Not really sure that's the same as the game itself crashing because mods often gently caress around in stupid ways because they weren't designed along with the game.

I'm like ~60 hours in and haven't encountered any crashes and only a few little bugs that weren't even a problem.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zodack posted:

Not really sure that's the same as the game itself crashing because mods often gently caress around in stupid ways because they weren't designed along with the game.

Right, I'm saying it's due to mods. The guy having problems with crashes was using a ton of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've been playing for about 30 hours, without mods, and have yet to experience a crash.

That said, whenever I want to play it the game sure takes its sweet time to launch.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If it's an XNA crash, try reinstalling Microsoft XNA framework. I was getting those crashes randomly without any mods, but reinstalling XNA fixed it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they gypsy lady is the best

why yes, i would like to buy an ancient seed for 900 gp

and what's this, a quality sprinkler for 1500? miss gypsy are you trying to seduce me

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Awhile back I was talking to a friend of mine while the two of us were playing the game (the same friend whose purchase convinced me to pick this game up), he was a few weeks ahead of me and had just finished seeding and watering his fields; he went to bed, the seasons switched over, and he lost several thousand bucks worth of seeds, which even given the laid back nature of the game is a pretty brutal thing to wake up to in the morning.

Neither of us mind having certain crops restricted to certain seasons, but given the flow of the game and the potential to blow all your cash early, I think a little warning of some kind like maybe a letter would be in order.

I knew this from playing HM games in the past, but I also noticed the Livin' off the land tv show mentioned this near the end of the first spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Can we talk for a moment about the gypsy hippo? It's a cool-rear end hippo.