Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Who honestly gives a poo poo about this but WOTC? I am asking honestly. I just don't see how waiting benefits you, me, or anyone.

Updating the banned list isn't this colossal effort of communication. Now if this means that this can't happen because of MTGO or something then :downsbravo: .

The thing that gets me, is they won't talk about the issue at all outside of "we ban on certain dates"

I do appreciate that they need data and so forth. That having a set date gives players an expectation. The issue is, they could change the date. Maybe Monday after set release isn't the right date? Why not 2-4 weeks after set releases, in case you release something broken then it is only in format for 2-4 weeks before being removed? The SoI update isn't about Shadows at all, it is reacting to Oath. And the Eldritch Moon B&R, should it be used, would be about Shadows cards etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's not like people don't have a million other formats to play, plus local metas don't have quite as many eldrazi players, so who cares.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Orzhov pontiff leaves eldrazi player unable to actually cast any eldrazi, ralph petesh and coco keeping our last hopes alive!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bonus posted:

It's not like people don't have a million other formats to play, plus local metas don't have quite as many eldrazi players, so who cares.

My local meta has been all Eldrazi since even before OGW came out. Modern events just stopped firing at some point because of it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah it's probably about preserving the principle of "you can play with these cards for at least a few months" rather than pulling the rug from under people. We can survive two months of an overpowered deck existing.

And I think that is a really strange message and a strange precedence. The irony is that out of their desire to "not set a bad precedence" they have created one where when/if the next big broken deck shows itself, we are stuck with it until the next update announcement no matter what.

To be able to play your broken deck you do that at the expense of everyone else. I guess if you have a warped point of view of things that might be okay for you. I would just prefer a healthier meta myself and I hope the majority would agree.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I imagine that's quite an anomaly, I've heard that most local metas aren't quite as dominated by eldrazi. My local meta is very competitive, but only 2 players are on eldrazi (and I played it before OGW). People just don't want to buy into a deck that they know will get banned.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ok the stream is straight up dying at a pretty bad time.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

jassi007 posted:

The thing that gets me, is they won't talk about the issue at all outside of "we ban on certain dates"

I do appreciate that they need data and so forth. That having a set date gives players an expectation. The issue is, they could change the date. Maybe Monday after set release isn't the right date? Why not 2-4 weeks after set releases, in case you release something broken then it is only in format for 2-4 weeks before being removed? The SoI update isn't about Shadows at all, it is reacting to Oath. And the Eldritch Moon B&R, should it be used, would be about Shadows cards etc.

The idea with syncing releases and B&R list updates is that you want to minimize frustration.

If a set comes out and you have to make a new deck based on the cards in that set, and then also a couple weeks later you have to go out and make another new deck because of the B&R changes, that's pretty frustrating.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sickening posted:

To be able to play your broken deck you do that at the expense of everyone else. I guess if you have a warped point of view of things that might be okay for you. I would just prefer a healthier meta myself and I hope the majority would agree.
You don't have any obligation to other people to play certain decks or fair decks or whatever, this isn't commander.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't see how "do the same thing we have always done" is creating a new precedent.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I would just prefer a healthier meta myself and I hope the majority would agree.

You're playing Modern. Modern hasn't been healthy since... well, ever, but especially not since Pod was banned.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't see how "do the same thing we have always done" is creating a new precedent.

Precedence*

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I don't mind having two months of a deck being broken every now and then if it means that R&D make powerful and cool new cards that affect modern. I remember about the time BFZ came out everyone was complaining about them not printing cards powerful enough for modern. So decide what you want I guess?

Modern does need some good control cards, so that the next time something broken comes out the meta has tools to adapt instead of having to ban stuff again.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

You're playing Modern. Modern hasn't been healthy since... well, ever, but especially not since Pod was banned.

Pod player spotted! I think modern was pretty healthy and good right before twin was banned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bonus posted:

I don't mind having two months of a deck being broken every now and then if it means that R&D make powerful and cool new cards that affect modern. I remember about the time BFZ came out everyone was complaining about them not printing cards powerful enough for modern. So decide what you want I guess?

Modern does need some good control cards, so that the next time something broken comes out the meta has tools to adapt instead of having to ban stuff again.

The cards printed in BFZ aren't too strong for modern though?

Bonus posted:

Pod player spotted! I think modern was pretty healthy and good right before twin was banned.

I definitely agree.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bonus posted:

I think about the time BFZ came out people were complaining about them not printing cards powerful enough for standard.

I also don't think people are contradicting themselves if they say Wood Elemental is too weak and then later say Black Lotus is too strong.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

They aren't, but I'm saying that you can't complain about wizards not printing impactful modern cards and then expect the format to never get broken. It happens, and I'd much rather they ban the occasional Treasure Cruise rather than plying it too safe when making new cards

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bonus posted:

Cards like Tasigur, Kolaghan's Command, Jace and Painful Truths have actually helped out control decks a fair amount. Hopefully they'll keep giving them stuff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bonus posted:

They aren't, but I'm saying that you can't complain about wizards not printing impactful modern cards and then expect the format to never get broken. It happens, and I'd much rather they ban the occasional Treasure Cruise rather than plying it too safe when making new cards

I agree with you to a point. New powerful cards should definitely be a thing they should keep doing. I also say that previously thinking that there would be no way WOTC would let a meta get this way considering combo winter was a thing that happened. I had confidence that if something was truely broken that they wouldn't repeat old mistakes and handle it. This whole thing was a real eye opener.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A thing can take precedence over another thing.

When you take an action that will be relied on in the future, you are setting a precedent.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Bonus posted:

0 times in my life. But all of the most interesting games of Modern I played were against Pod. Turn random idiots sideways until the other guy dies is not fun or interesting.

Devor posted:

A thing can take precedence over another thing.

When you take an action that will be relied on in the future, you are setting a precedent.

I know. Read the post that was being responded to in the post I quoted.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Thisuck posted:

4chan's response to the Sorin/Jace/Avacyn/Tamiyo art

My favorite is the last one
Last one along with the one to its left and the Markov Family Thanksgiving Card are my top 3.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bonus posted:

The problem is those good control cards will impact standard.

You basically need counterspell in Modern, but the thought of counterspell in Standard is unthinkable (they came so loving close to printing a counterspell for Modern in BFZ too :()

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

You basically need counterspell in Modern, but the thought of counterspell in Standard is unthinkable (they came so loving close to printing a counterspell for Modern in BFZ too :()

The problem is they probably don't even want those cards in the format because WotC has no idea how to make a good format.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Abzan Supremacy!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, that's the big problem of modern in my opinion. They need to print some good control cards and other answer cards to give it a good foundation, but they can't really do that because of standard.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I really wonder what exactly they were thinking when Urza's block was in design, given it was coming off of a relatively low powered block.

Mark Rosewater was on the development team, which really says all that needs to be said

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
This was nothing compared to combo winter because other formats didn't really exist then.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Mark Rosewater was on the development team, which really says all that needs to be said

What does that mean besides "It was a magic set?"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

born on a buy you posted:

This was nothing compared to combo winter because other formats didn't really exist then.

Extended, Standard, and Vintage were all formats, it's just that they were all affected.

Dr. Stab posted:

Development!=Design

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Without having counterspell in modern my buddy and I have put together a U/W control deck that is like 20-7 in matches so far in modern leagues. It can't handle U/W Eldrazi based on the two matches we played, but has done fine against other types (3-1 I think) while holding it's own against most of the field. Other losses include two losses and a win against Living Ends that had tremendous land destruction hands, and a Kiki-Chord type deck with maindeck avalanche riders and Fulminators in the side - so it really struggles with decks that don't let it just play a land every turn.

Grixis Control was a thing for a long time while Twin was still in the format.

Control decks need to be tuned to the meta and require very specific and difficult lines of play. Our U/W control deck is awkward in that it needs 4x Path and 4x Wall of Omens to slow the game down enough to make Supreme Verdict matter, but against other parts of the field those cards are suffienciently dead that we wind up on a T2 Wall, T3 manaleak their spell, path our wall to ramp line of play.

Counterspell doesn't change these things about modern that make it fundamentally broken:

A) The meta is too wide such that you cannot interact with all viable decks favorably via sideboard. Compared to legacy where the unfair decks compress to Storm-style, Graveyard style, and Sneak and Show, in modern you have affinity cheating mana which requires it's own line, etc - people have to devote too many sideboard slots to individual decks rather than interaction methods. This is largely because of B and C:
B) There is no speedbump to going fast like Force of Will, and holding up any amount of mana to cast a key counterspell, whether it is rewind or dismiss or counterspell or spell pierce puts control style decks on the back foot.
C) There is no reasonable punishment for abusive mana bases (Eldrazi lands, establishing Tron, 3 Color or more manabases)
D) The lack of all of these methods to interact with fast combo decks has forced them to remove all good card selection spells from the format.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Without having counterspell in modern my buddy and I have put together a U/W control deck that is like 20-7 in matches so far in modern leagues. It can't handle U/W Eldrazi based on the two matches we played, but has done fine against other types (3-1 I think) while holding it's own against most of the field. Other losses include two losses and a win against Living Ends that had tremendous land destruction hands, and a Kiki-Chord type deck with maindeck avalanche riders and Fulminators in the side - so it really struggles with decks that don't let it just play a land every turn.

Grixis Control was a thing for a long time while Twin was still in the format.

Control decks need to be tuned to the meta and require very specific and difficult lines of play. Our U/W control deck is awkward in that it needs 4x Path and 4x Wall of Omens to slow the game down enough to make Supreme Verdict matter, but against other parts of the field those cards are suffienciently dead that we wind up on a T2 Wall, T3 manaleak their spell, path our wall to ramp line of play.

Counterspell doesn't change these things about modern that make it fundamentally broken:

A) The meta is too wide such that you cannot interact with all viable decks favorably via sideboard. Compared to legacy where the unfair decks compress to Storm-style, Graveyard style, and Sneak and Show, in modern you have affinity cheating mana which requires it's own line, etc - people have to devote too many sideboard slots to individual decks rather than interaction methods. This is largely because of B and C:
B) There is no speedbump to going fast like Force of Will, and holding up any amount of mana to cast a key counterspell, whether it is rewind or dismiss or counterspell or spell pierce puts control style decks on the back foot.
C) There is no reasonable punishment for abusive mana bases (Eldrazi lands, establishing Tron, 3 Color or more manabases)
D) The lack of all of these methods to interact with fast combo decks has forced them to remove all good card selection spells from the format.

Without a deck list, no one cares.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

presidents*

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

presidents*

Add an emote or something, that was a bit of a stretch for assuming that you're not going to just confuse a bunch of people incorrectly correcting someone.

Edit: Timing you out in Rich Shay's stream btw.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

MaRo always loved pushing cards. A lot of the famously broken cards are his.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

The idea with syncing releases and B&R list updates is that you want to minimize frustration.

If a set comes out and you have to make a new deck based on the cards in that set, and then also a couple weeks later you have to go out and make another new deck because of the B&R changes, that's pretty frustrating.

And GPs and such can be a big deal for a lot of people. If I ever play in a GP* I'll probably plan to attend well in advance and I'd be keeping a sharp eye on any bannings. Having things be banned out of the blue on non-expected dates would be super annoying. I wouldn't want to have to find something new to play two weeks beforehand when I thought it was safe.

* - Well if I ever attend a GP it'll be limited, but whatever.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

odiv posted:

And GPs and such can be a big deal for a lot of people. If I ever play in a GP* I'll probably plan to attend well in advance and I'd be keeping a sharp eye on any bannings. Having things be banned out of the blue on non-expected dates would be super annoying. I wouldn't want to have to find something new to play two weeks beforehand when I thought it was safe.

* - Well if I ever attend a GP it'll be limited, but whatever.

Having bans announced a week before the tournament is disruptive regardless of whether it's the Official Ban Date or not, but they still do it on purpose for PT Modern every year.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kizudarake posted:

Without a deck list, no one cares.

Congrats on reading all of those reasons why modern sucks as a format and reducing it to a demand for a deck list.

I'll post the lost when I'm home though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Having bans announced a week before the tournament is disruptive regardless of whether it's the Official Ban Date or not, but they still do it on purpose for PT Modern every year.

Well sure, but having it happen just whenever would be worse.

... Wait, I mean, source your quote? :P

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Elyv posted:

Extended, Standard, and Vintage were all formats, it's just that they were all affected.

Development!=Design

Extended didn't matter outside of ptq season and vintage has never been a real format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bonus posted:

I imagine that's quite an anomaly, I've heard that most local metas aren't quite as dominated by eldrazi. My local meta is very competitive, but only 2 players are on eldrazi (and I played it before OGW). People just don't want to buy into a deck that they know will get banned.

I hate to be that guy but this is literally just anecdotal evidence. Also I don't see how your local meta is that competitive if people aren't playing the power deck but again it's just meaningless arbitrary conditions.

• Locked thread