Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
It's not like I didn't warn you....

I was going to do it anyway because I figured nobody else was crazy enough to. Guess I was wrong. :cheeky:
It's definitely horrendous but I'm still making headway so it has yet to beat me. :shepface:

bigperm posted:

Just going to offer a tip for the Gregtecher's. You can clean dusts by dropping them into a cauldron. There is a tooltip that says this. You can drop a stack of dust at a time, you don't have to do it one by one like I used to think.

It's the only way to use redstone early in the game afaik.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, not gonna lie, i already burned out on new horizons

having to wait 3 minutes between pieces of charcoal so i could go mining for 15 feet before having to run back to nab more charcoal basically is the worst

You don't need coal or charcoal to make torches. For that matter, torches aren't the only source of light you can craft easily.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Edminster posted:

You don't need coal or charcoal to make torches. For that matter, torches aren't the only source of light you can craft easily.

oh yeah? what is the other light source, and how do you make the torches without coal/charcoal

(new horizons takes like 10 minutes to boot up so i'm too lazy to start just to check NEI)

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Glory of Arioch posted:

oh yeah? what is the other light source, and how do you make the torches without coal/charcoal

(new horizons takes like 10 minutes to boot up so i'm too lazy to start just to check NEI)

currently at breakfast, but iirc you can make torches from rubber tree resin, string, and a stick. rubber trees are easily distinguished by their weird top and can be found in swamps.

the other light source is candles which are two wax, string, and i think a bit of dye but i don't remember for sure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah you're not the first person to make that joke.

I'm not sure how to justify it. It's made of so many mods that I've never used, or at least not in ages. It feels alien, like I'm trespassing on someone else's domain here. But I'm unironically curious how a lot of it works and how to get through it, and using all these new features that would be opaque and overwhelming with no idea of how to progress through it feels way different when you have HQM to guide you. I'm sure, since I'm only in the bronze age, that I've not even come close to hitting the real bullshit so far, but it's way different than I expected?
Like, this is not a kind of pack I'd want to play with friends, really, or even how I'd like to play normally, but it's a very different experience, in the same way a skyblock or gimmick map might be, because everything is done a different way than you normally would do it. It's also a good way to eat up a lot of time, which I have plenty of for another week or so at least, so at least it's keeping me busy.

Honestly, the biggest problem I have with it isn't the overly complex recipes, or the numerous sub-components (though those'll surely get worse before they get better). NEI is loaded down with so many extraneous items and recipes, but that's not what bugs me either.
It's the loving ore distribution.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the ungodly huge ore deposits, but they're all so separate and distanced that traditional caving yields almost nothing. And you can find 5 tin or iron deposits but not that ONE redstone deposit you need, like was the case with me. Hell even diamond comes in graphite deposits, which are huge. I almost wish instead it was just super-rich ore everywhere, but spread around instead of concentrated, so that mining wasn't such a crapshoot. Either you dig forever and find nothing or you pick up a dirt block and there's lignite under it and boom you're set on coal forever. I finally got fed up with it and just started flying around with orefinder on (which unfortunately highlights ALL deposits and can't apparently be tweaked to look for specific types) and drilled core samples down until I found all the types I needed -- and even then I think I'm still probably missing important ones like silver and nickel. When I finally found diamond it was like 1000 blocks from my base in just one direction. I could have dug for hours and not found anything. I wouldn't have even been close and I'd never have known it, and I don't think there's any way to prospect or search for ore types/deposits normally, which sucks because you can't really progress if you just find one or two. You need to find one of each to really push on. So gently caress it, that's the part I'm cheating whole-hog at: not needing a small forest to make a piece of paper, or needing 14 different tools and half a mountain's worth of iron to make a door, just the ability to loving find the general vicinity where ore is.

Also it's worth noting that without HQM to hold my hand I'd be 100% loving lost, not just on what order to do things but even what things COULD be done, or how any of these mods are supposed to work together. It's so unfamiliar and HQM is the only thing that gives me an in to it all.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I want to try the dumb bad gregpack, do I really need to ask that guy who makes it for permission, or is it rehosted somewhere

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Elswyyr posted:

I want to try the dumb bad gregpack, do I really need to ask that guy who makes it for permission, or is it rehosted somewhere

CoreDuo posted:

Here. Just put it in the search box in the launcher.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Elswyyr posted:

The only thing you need to ask permission of is your dignity for loving it over so hard playing a GT pack.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

StealthArcher posted:

The only thing you need to ask permission of is your dignity for loving it over so hard playing a GT pack.

This GT pack. Beyond Reality is kinda like New Horizons but with normal recipes.

Vib Rib posted:

So gently caress it, that's the part I'm cheating whole-hog at: not needing a small forest to make a piece of paper, or needing 14 different tools and half a mountain's worth of iron to make a door, just the ability to loving find the general vicinity where ore is.

Admittedly that's the bit I cheated at too. You could cheat it on a normal server because the mod is client side only so I don't think it matters. You'd think he'd add a prospecting tool himself even if it was expensive materials wise. For what it's worth, GregTech seems to have a self-contained solution for everything else.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sure, since I'm only in the bronze age, that I've not even come close to hitting the real bullshit so far, but it's way different than I expected?

I'm going for high end solar so the bullshit is only going to get worse. They like to consider solar overpowered even though you need large amounts of battery storage to make good use of it and that's also expensive in GregTech. And you need better wires because voltage multiplies inside of battery buffers as you add more batteries. The only advantage is that you don't need a renewable source of fuel which means one less thing to juggle in this mod pack.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 6, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It looks like bluedart put out his new mod today. I quite liked DartCraft when it wasn't doing dumb stuff with fairy fountains, so it's neat to have the features back, but more aligned to work with vanilla tools and items. He put up a release spotlight video that explains the mechanics. Basically, all the force tool stuff got added as either a shapeless crafting enchantments, the transmutation stuff works a bit like a mix between Thaumcraft vis and MineChem, and the packs and storage solutions are pretty intuitive.

Now to pick a pack to add it to. Guess I could tack it onto my really old Progress world. Any other good mid-weight tech packs? Maybe this'd be a good time to try BFSR?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
:siren: GT: New Horizons update :siren:

quote:

Tinkers Construct (Add config option to TiC for removal of gold casts)

NOOOOOOOOO

(It's probably because gold costs less lava to melt than aluminum brass)

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 6, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

:siren: GT: New Horizons update :siren:

NOOOOOOOOO

(It's probably because gold costs less lava to melt than aluminum brass)

It doesn't really matter. You can get copper from small copper deposits for casts just as easily as gold. It might have been changed so you can't re-melt the casts into aluminum brass...?

quote:

Hunger overhaul (Disable constant hunger loss, remove Butcher Trades)
HAH!

I feel like most of these changes are reasonable. They even removed the Ender effect from infernal mobs and blacklisted witchery bosses.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 6, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Where are these so-called patchnotes? Is it the Technic-hosted one or the official thread?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Where are these so-called patchnotes? Is it the Technic-hosted one or the official thread?

It's on Technic. http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mcnewhorizons.677387/changelog

Surprisingly detailed too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, not gonna lie, i already burned out on new horizons

having to wait 3 minutes between pieces of charcoal so i could go mining for 15 feet before having to run back to nab more charcoal basically is the worst

Well, you CAN mine with only two torches... Personally I lucked out and got some coal coke from a Witchery stone circle dispenser at the start, so I had a good number of torches to start with. That said, It really is a good idea to be as conservative as possible with your torches in this modpack. Light your caves only just enough to see what you need to see, and recover torches from dead ends or useless tunnels.

Edit: Oh god, this new mixing bowl recipe. What was it before?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 6, 2016

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I have two coke ovens and live in a sacred springs biome so I have almost endless charcoal as long as I keep the coke ovens going.

McFrugal posted:

Edit: Oh god, this new mixing bowl recipe. What was it before?

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 6, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

I have two coke ovens and live in a sacred springs biome so I have almost endless charcoal as long as I keep the coke ovens going.

That looks like the same one. Or was it steel before?

Edit: oh boy there are some problems with this update. It just went to 77c. Maybe wait a while until it stabilizes.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 6, 2016

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

That looks like the same one. Or was it steel before?

Edit: oh boy there are some problems with this update. It just went to 77c. Maybe wait a while until it stabilizes.

Oh, it's possible that I already had the recipe since my server configs were pulled from GitHub and had some post-1.0.7.6 fixes like the ProjectRed ore gen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

frankly the one thing i didn't have problems with in new horizons was food

if you pick up a bunch of harvestcraft gardens while wandering around (right click to pick up the whole garden instead of breaking it) then turn all the goodies into seeds and plant them, you end up with enough of a diversity of food to stay ahead of Spice Of Life even without any cooking utensils

one of the quest rewards was a lunch bag too, which helps (shift right click a chest with it to load the bag up with the best possible foods in that chest, respecting your hunger history automatically)

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Uh oh.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Uh oh, you mined Asbestos Ore. The fibers are now in your character's lungs, and in 4 hours of gametime your character will be permanently deleted, due to lung cancer.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Devor posted:

Uh oh, you mined Asbestos Ore. The fibers are now in your character's lungs, and in 4 hours of gametime your character will be permanently deleted, due to lung cancer.

6.01.69:
[ADDED] It is now possible to die of lung cancer after mining asbestos. User will be permanently banned from the server without notice at a randomized time.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 7, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

CoreDuo posted:

6.01.69:
[ADDED] It is now possible to die of lung cancer after mining asbestos. User will be permanently banned from the server without notice at a randomized time.

I cant tell if its a joke or not. :sludgepal:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow are you people masochists

like I think some of the stuff in LITW:R is kinda nuts but that looks pretty ridiculous

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the best part is that those recipes use tools with durability, which means the 1.7 version of NEI can't pre-fill the recipe into a crafting table

also the coke oven unfired brick recipe ejects the brick mold from the crafting window every time you make a brick so you have to drag the drat thing into the crafting window 104 times per coke oven you make

basically i miss 1.8 already because JEI is a lot better

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It is the worst, yes. But I can't stop. I don't know why.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:eyepop:
Wow, so thats a bowl now? I thought it was bad before, but I guess there is always room for improvment.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I know this might come as a surprise to everyone but the blast furnace is SO SLOW. I'm guessing that's to force you into building more, but I'm going to build high pressure boilers first so speed the processing chain up. Also, I can finally build doors.

EDIT: And don't break the blast furnace controller unless you want lava all over the place. Oops.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 7, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Wow, so thats a bowl now? I thought it was bad before, but I guess there is always room for improvment.

well obviously it can't handle the mixing needed unless you reinforce it with steel plates and file the edge of the bucket until it's razor sharp

hammering the screws is also a nice touch

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

It is the worst, yes. But I can't stop. I don't know why.

I think there's an unspoken competition here. Which of us will be the last to quit this mod pack? Find out next week on Survivor: GregTech.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 7, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CoreDuo posted:

I think there's an unspoken competition here. Which of us will be the last to quit this mod pack? Survival: GregTech.

i'm out

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

also the coke oven unfired brick recipe ejects the brick mold from the crafting window every time you make a brick so you have to drag the drat thing into the crafting window 104 times per coke oven you make

There's a recipe that lets you form 8 bricks at once though. I mean it's still bad, obviously the mold should stay in there, but it's not quite THAT bad.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah the mixing bowl is a good example of gregtech trying to be super realistic and involved but also totally missing the point. Like I see a lot of these recipes and think "no way did anyone in human history ever build a ladder without a screwdriver".

Glory of Arioch posted:

the best part is that those recipes use tools with durability, which means the 1.7 version of NEI can't pre-fill the recipe into a crafting table

I think you can make 8 bricks at a time though? And also those tools eventually get replaced with powered machines which is nice but then you have to deal with power gen.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

And also those tools eventually get replaced with powered machines which is nice but then you have to deal with power gen.

Worse, you have to deal with steel production.

Note: This is actually an animated GIF.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
good christ but the ore veins are massive

here's the vein i posted the iron ore from earlier, cleared out of all smoothstone that was directly adjacent to ores:

my flint tinker's pick went from novice to grandmaster clearing it all out; now it has repair, diamond durability, reinforced 1, haste 1, and fortune 1; never did the mining level boost thing though so i used one of my village-looted thaumium ingots to make a pick head for it to clear out the iron, magnetite, and vanadium ores. I don't know how I can realistically use the three modifier slots it now has though :/

Heffer
May 1, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

Oh you gently caress, you weren't lying

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I decided to destroy a volcano today. I went into creative mode, grabbed one of those 9000-vis staffs, put an equal trade focus on it, and set it to swap for grass. I was thinking, hey, the grass goes away by itself and doesn't even drop anything. This'll be quick, and it won't even touch the terrain underneath!

Almost two hours later, I finally got rid of the last of it. There must be an easier way to do it. Maybe with a blood magic pickaxe? Would that destroy dirt as well as the basalt I'm looking to get rid of? I suppose I could blow up half the volcano then equal trade the rest out...

CoreDuo posted:

Oh god, I am not looking forward to THAT. How are you dealing with steam, anyway? The last time I tried my hand at GT5, I had TE present so I could make tanks for steam storage. Do you just have a whole bunch of boilers? Or a big multiblock boiler?

...at least I can just let it sit there while I do other things, like I do with my coke oven.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Oh god, I am not looking forward to THAT. How are you dealing with steam, anyway? The last time I tried my hand at GT5, I had TE present so I could make tanks for steam storage. Do you just have a whole bunch of boilers? Or a big multiblock boiler?

The boilers themselves provide enough of a buffer so far that I haven't needed an external tank yet. The small coal boiler holds 16000mB and the high pressure coal boiler holds 32000mB, which I have two of. Each one produces 15 mB/t which is enough to power all of the bronze machines reliably. The two that consume the most are the alloy smelter and forge hammer at 32 mB/t.

This is what my base looks like at this point:

I'll probably add another coke furnace since I'm getting stretched thin trying to feed the boilers and the blast furnaces at the same time. Also, I'm trying to rush the steam turbine so that I can get the basic electric macerator because the steam one is by far the slowest thing in my ore processing chain.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 7, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

The boilers themselves provide enough of a buffer so far that I haven't needed an external tank yet. The small coal boiler holds 16000mB and the high pressure coal boiler holds 32000mB, which I have two of. Each one produces 15 mB/t which is enough to power all of the bronze machines reliably. The two that consume the most are the alloy smelter and forge hammer at 32 mB/t.

This is what my base looks like at this point:

I'll probably add another coke furnace since I'm getting stretched thin trying to feed the boilers and the blast furnaces at the same time. Also, I'm trying to rush the steam turbine so that I can get the basic electric macerator because the steam one is by far the slowest thing in my ore processing chain.

How are you storing excess creosote? Apparently you can burn it now... I hope it doesn't consume the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

How are you storing excess creosote? Apparently you can burn it now... I hope it doesn't consume the bucket.

I use it in the regular stone furnaces since apparently my server has that enabled. It doesn't consume the bucket. It's funny because they're faster than the steam furnaces.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 7, 2016