Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MisterAlex posted:

Heh heh. Yeah. Haven't there been more Vitas sold than Wii Us?

Pretty sure that isn't the case, at least globally. Maaaaaybe in Japan. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I bet John Cena would love the Vita.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CrashCat posted:

And despite that most of the good Wii U games still are rarely on sale new and barely discounted used :doh:

95% of the good Wuu games are first party, which is always a problem with Nintendo. gently caress, I still see full priced copies of Mario 64 DS out here.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Policenaut posted:

he's cool and makes all-girl parties in dungeon crawlers and then we write stories about each other's characters i'll have you know

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGezmf0Nv8

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

kirbysuperstar posted:

95% of the good Wuu games are first party, which is always a problem with Nintendo. gently caress, I still see full priced copies of Mario 64 DS out here.
And now that I think of it I probably got most of my Gamecube games much later in that system's life so I have skewed expectations

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Improbable Lobster posted:

Pretty sure that isn't the case, at least globally. Maaaaaybe in Japan. Maybe.

Looks like the only place that the WiiU outperformed the Vita was the US.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that chart seems suspect, since i am fairly sure that at the very least more than 0 3DOs were sold

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Looks like the only place that the WiiU outperformed the Vita was the US.

Please don't quote VGChartz, they literally make up their numbers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

and who knew that nobody in the world uses windows? a shocking revelation

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

corn in the bible posted:

that chart seems suspect, since i am fairly sure that at the very least more than 0 3DOs were sold
The top part from the site says that discontinued platforms are listed via manufacturer's shipments so I would assume there's not a lot of info on the old 3DO. Why "Windows" is even on there boggles me.

ImpAtom posted:

Please don't quote VGChartz, they literally make up their numbers.
To where would you look for a more accurate chart then?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Please live life, enjoy video games and ignore sales charts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RanKizama posted:

Your heart

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Help Im Alive posted:

I typically do, but a question was posed and now I'm genuinely curious.

Alas, there is nothing to be found within the vast emptiness.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RanKizama posted:

Neogaf

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's just ripped off from Media Creates' charts (that Gematsu and Siliconera post too) and only applies to Japan.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

VGChartz uses a bunch of funny math to guess how many are sold. The Japanese sales are tracked a bit better by Famitsu and Media Create since retailers will report what they sold, but even then it's only good for trends. The US version (NPD) isn't public and people just leak numbers on to Neogaf/VGChartz forums. Since there's a lot more online shopping and digital purchasing done in the west, the numbers can be skewed. Persona 4 DAN was 10k, the same as Senran Kagura Deep Crimson and Despair Girls the last time I was curious about the numbers. It might actually be true though considering I've seen all those game's special launch versions on sale at deep discounts already.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

I'd love to use that "DB" linked there to make some graphs of the history of vita sales, but OpenOffice has been loading that 32mb xlsx for 5 minutes now and doesn't seem to show any signs of finishing anytime soon. :(

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

I'd love to use that "DB" linked there to make some graphs of the history of vita sales, but OpenOffice has been loading that 32mb xlsx for 5 minutes now and doesn't seem to show any signs of finishing anytime soon. :(

That's actually pretty fun stuff to go through.

Vita Games that sold over 100,000 copies in 2015, listed by release order.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst {2015.02.19} - 318,726
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth {2015.03.12} - 108,547
Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition {2015.03.19} - 212,757
Sword Art Online: Lost Song # {2015.03.26} - 181,516
3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-hen {2015.04.02} - 127,288

46 total over 100,000 for the lifetime of the console.
60 between 50,000-99,999
61 between 20,000-50,000
110 below 20k sales

There were some duplicates in the top sales brackets, not sure if it was a "The Best" re-release or not, but I'm not going to fish them all out.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Dehry posted:

VGChartz uses a bunch of funny math to guess how many are sold. The Japanese sales are tracked a bit better by Famitsu and Media Create since retailers will report what they sold, but even then it's only good for trends. The US version (NPD) isn't public and people just leak numbers on to Neogaf/VGChartz forums. Since there's a lot more online shopping and digital purchasing done in the west, the numbers can be skewed. Persona 4 DAN was 10k, the same as Senran Kagura Deep Crimson and Despair Girls the last time I was curious about the numbers. It might actually be true though considering I've seen all those game's special launch versions on sale at deep discounts already.
I was expecting a witty retort but instead I get this guy actually trying to teach me poo poo. What the hell is going on with this thread? Nice answer though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Good thing that lost song sold well enough to merit a third game with proper gameplay.

Also, threw together some hardware graphs. If these trends are any indication, the Vita seems to be well and healthy in Japan.

The Home Consoles

The Handhelds

The Epic Battle Between PS Vita and Wii U

Spreadsheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/jp_console_sales_history.ods

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 6, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This is more of general PS Store question but if you buy avatars on a US account can you use them on an EU account? It feels like we never get half of the avatars on the US store

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

This is more of general PS Store question but if you buy avatars on a US account can you use them on an EU account? It feels like we never get half of the avatars on the US store

Almost entirely sure you can't, since there's no way to link accounts anyhow.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mithaldu posted:

Good thing that lost song sold well enough to merit a third game with proper gameplay.

Also, threw together some hardware graphs. If these trends are any indication, the Vita seems to be well and healthy in Japan.

The Home Consoles

The Handhelds

The Epic Battle Between PS Vita and Wii U

Spreadsheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/jp_console_sales_history.ods

Is kind of depressing to see the Xbox/Bone graphs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Almost entirely sure you can't, since there's no way to link accounts anyhow.

I mean on the consoles you can buy games with a US account and play them with an EU one so I was hoping it would be the same with avatars

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Help Im Alive posted:

No, you unfortunately cannot. PSN avatars are account-bound, not system-bound.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Help Im Alive posted:

One unexpected consequence of my experiment in making Games good with ignore is never having to scroll past that stuff. Like not usually being able to express yourself in a way that's fun for someone else to read is a really strong predictor for liking to talk about stupid boring crap all the time

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is kind of depressing to see the Xbox/Bone graphs

Bone sales have officially been "reaching 10 million" for years since MS got cagey about releasing hard numbers. Estimates based on the data their partners have released place them at around 20-25mil. Their situation is not great and it kind of sucks since they did bankroll quite a few good games during the 360 and now they're not nearly as eager to.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I think my Vita's battery is borked. It seems like if I leave it in sleep mode or power it off, it won't hold a charge over more than a day or two. If I'm gaming it's fine for a few hours, haven't timed it but it seems pretty normale given the OLED. At any rate, does anyone have experience with the replacement battery they sell on amazon? Either quality or difficulty of installation? I watched some Youtube videos and the installation doesn't seem too bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

thorsilver posted:

I still fail to see how the market normalising after a one-gen-only surge of casual gamers who, not surprisingly, have now stopped buying dedicated devices and buy poo poo games for phones instead, is some sort of massive failure on Nintendo's part. I mean, you even seem to acknowledge that phenomenon in your second post.

At best, Nintendo's failure was setting ludicrously high expectations after a phenomenally successful effort at appealing to a broader gaming demographic. Now that any smart device has thousands of simple games that are nonetheless sufficient to waste time while waiting in queues, that tactic will probably never work again.

My basic point is I think it's a damaging attitude to have to say 'THE 3DS IS AN UNQUALIFIED FAILURE' when it's been a source of a lot of fantastic gaming for millions of people for the last five years, and they've continued selling millions of copies of games despite lovely screens or whatever because the games are legitimately really good. I mean yeah obviously they can't stick with 240p screens with NX but I very much doubt they will, and they've been devoting resources to NX development for some time now so we may have some interesting times ahead. Nintendo may be weird and backwards at times but they're drat good at making video games.

So basically I think implying Nintendo might as well have given up on the 3DS because 'yeah look how that turned out:rolleyes:' is kinda hosed up because gaming would've been a lot shittier in recent history without it. And the Nintendo doomsaying is just tired at this point, that old bollocks comes out at the end of every generation of consoles. More importantly if they'd given up we'd have never gotten Kirby Triple Trouble which would've been a loving war crime IMO.

Now, the Wii U? Yeah OK that was a failure.

In short,

Also this is the Vita thread, why am I even talking about this? I'm sorry Vita friends. I shall go preorder Estival Versus in penance.

Just kidding! Preordered it weeks ago~

its not normalising though, the 3ds is on track to be their worst selling handheld since the virtual boy. the DS/PSP gen wasnt a casual boom, it was the result of an upward trend in handheld sales.

much like with moving from the wii to the wii u nintendo have absolutely failed at capitalising on their successes and the rumour that the NX is going to be a combo console is ridiculous if true. consumers have already abandoned handhelds now as nintendo and sony both failed to provide an incentive for owning one, so going forward nintendo cannot rely on that as they have for most of their history, and their home console business is an absolute dumpster fire. theyve missed the boat on competing with phones now and they do not have the ability to succeed in the home console market as they are blissfully unaware of how to sell things. the nintendo doomsdaying is pretty justified at this point as its difficult to see how a company which has been glacially slow to adjust to a changing market will now adapt now their main market has collapsed over night. unless the NX is a home console which is as powerful or more so than the ps4, and has widespread support from third parties including the big multi platform titles, and its handheld component is competitive technically with the power offered by modern phones, then no one is going to buy it outside of hardcore nintendo fans, much like the wii u. except this time their handheld will be tied to it as well.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
dont fuckin make big serious posts at stux ya fuckin dingboats

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stux posted:

its not normalising though, the 3ds is on track to be their worst selling handheld since the virtual boy. the DS/PSP gen wasnt a casual boom, it was the result of an upward trend in handheld sales.

much like with moving from the wii to the wii u nintendo have absolutely failed at capitalising on their successes and the rumour that the NX is going to be a combo console is ridiculous if true. consumers have already abandoned handhelds now as nintendo and sony both failed to provide an incentive for owning one, so going forward nintendo cannot rely on that as they have for most of their history, and their home console business is an absolute dumpster fire. theyve missed the boat on competing with phones now and they do not have the ability to succeed in the home console market as they are blissfully unaware of how to sell things. the nintendo doomsdaying is pretty justified at this point as its difficult to see how a company which has been glacially slow to adjust to a changing market will now adapt now their main market has collapsed over night. unless the NX is a home console which is as powerful or more so than the ps4, and has widespread support from third parties including the big multi platform titles, and its handheld component is competitive technically with the power offered by modern phones, then no one is going to buy it outside of hardcore nintendo fans, much like the wii u. except this time their handheld will be tied to it as well.

oh, word?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why do multiplayer invites pop up full-screen without pausing my current game? Who thought that was a good idea, and how do I turn that poo poo off?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

yeah i hope ur getting what im laying down here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stux posted:

Mods name change to the above, tia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo has enough fans to get by with cheap hardware and a few premium games a year.

If the nx is a powerhouse sold at a loss It might kill them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo has enough fans to get by with cheap hardware and a few premium games a year.

If the nx is a powerhouse sold at a loss It might kill them
ps4 is profitable, they can come in at the same power/price point as it is currently. if they dont then lol

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Picked up Unit 13 to scratch a cover shooter itch. I'm enjoying it, but not thoroughly... the narrowly defined mission objectives (and in turn, gameplay) feel too constrictive. Is there another game I should be investigating?

I've played Uncharted, Killzone, Borderlands, and Resistance.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Picked up Unit 13 to scratch a cover shooter itch. I'm enjoying it, but not thoroughly... the narrowly defined mission objectives (and in turn, gameplay) feel too constrictive. Is there another game I should be investigating?

I've played Uncharted, Killzone, Borderlands, and Resistance.

Those are all not great shooter. Get EDF ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761351&pagenumber=78&perpage=40#post457037317 ) instead, or Freedom Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hm yes, Freedom Wars is a much better shooting game than Killzone.