Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

The three is like if you picked an arbitrary yard line and said, "if the scoring play starts from behind here, the touchdown is worth 6 points and if it starts in front of here it's worth 4 points."

The three point line serves an important purpose to how the game is played, but there's really no logical reason putting the ball through the hoop from 25 feet should be worth more than putting the ball through the hoop at 22 feet, or zero feet.

If you're going to look for reason in sports rules, you're setting yourself up for a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

leokitty posted:

The NL doesn't have the DH because the NL intentionally did not want the DH (yay the leagues are different!!!) and NL fans are the ones who turn into Greek mourners when bringing the DH to the NL is brought up.

If not for the president of the Phillies taking a badly-timed fishing trip, the NL would have had the DH for 35 years now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

So you're saying the fix was in?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The NL not having the DH is great because Bartolo Colon at bat is hilarious to watch.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Some great topics to discuss:

-which sport is the best sport
-comparing rules from different sports to each other
-the designated hitter

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah let's talk about Bill Simmons some more instead

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You should get three points for dunks too, if they are cool enough.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Toilet Mouth posted:

The three is like if you picked an arbitrary yard line and said, "if the scoring play starts from behind here, the touchdown is worth 6 points and if it starts in front of here it's worth 4 points."

The three point line serves an important purpose to how the game is played, but there's really no logical reason putting the ball through the hoop from 25 feet should be worth more than putting the ball through the hoop at 22 feet, or zero feet.

The joke went over your head, like a Stephen Curry three

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

The joke went over your head, like a Stephen Curry three

Your joke was bad

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Scoring by hitting a baseball an arbitrary length while getting nothing from hitting it two feet shorter is one of the fundamental components of the game, it seems like a bad example

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Note to self: a well-placed Designated Hitter reference can derail any thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Toilet Mouth posted:

Yeah it's almost like rules in sports are completely arbitrary and poo poo

like seriously, do you think the 3-point line is "arbitrary" but, idk, "free throws are one point" emerged pure from the aether or something

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 7, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can get an argument about not liking Curry, in that team sports are generally a combination of a lot of different skills, and "ideally" you'd like the best players to be good at all of those skills, and not just like, so good at one that they make the other skills not matter.

But anyone who thinks Curry is "just good at shooting" doesn't understand basketball. If he was just good at shooting, people would be following Oscar Robertson's suggestions and shutting him down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alain Post posted:

Yeah it's almost like rules in sports are completely arbitrary and poo poo

like seriously, do you think the 3-point line is "arbitrary" but, idk, "free throws are one point" emerged pure from the aether or something

Moses carried a tablet with the rules for sports down from Mount Sinai, but it doesn't come up a lot in the Bible.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

Moses carried a tablet with the rules for sports down from Mount Sinai, but it doesn't come up a lot in the Bible.

You're mistaken, those were the Unwritten Rules of Baseball, and they were shattered into a million pieces, passed on from father to son to Brian McCann.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Basketball is kind of unique in that Naismith actually wrote down a 10 commandments of basketball list, but actually following them would have made the game super boring

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The original rules for basketball didn't even allow for dribbling

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Richard Deitsch's column this week has female journalists talking about the precautions they have to take on the road.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/03/06/erin-andrews-trial-women-media-safety

quote:

“I don’t have a lot of say in where I stay or what hotel chains my company uses,” said Burke. “I do remember feeling sad and scared after what happened to Erin. I travel with Band-Aids to put over the peepholes. I prefer to join a coworker at the hotel restaurant or bar so strangers don’t approach me as much. There’s a noticeable difference when I eat or drink alone. I don’t like hotel rooms on the first floor. I don’t like rooms by the elevators. Depending on the length of my stay, I don’t get maid service because I don’t want anyone in my room except me.”

Men are horrible, hooray!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zakharov posted:

Richard Deitsch's column this week has female journalists talking about the precautions they have to take on the road.

:smith: burn it all to the ground.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
IMO basketball using a net is ruining the game. Half the fun was making the coach get a ladder to get the ball back. Hell they don't even use baskets, might as well just call it "ball".

gently caress the dh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YpHt6t_C68

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zakharov posted:

Not that men aren't horrible but other than the peephole thing that quote applies about equally well to male TV personalities/celebrities.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not that men aren't horrible but other than the peephole thing that quote applies about equally well to male TV personalities/celebrities.

That's not what male journalists on my Twitter timeline are saying today. Also, read the whole article for many, many more anecdotes.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

zakharov posted:

That's not what male journalists on my Twitter timeline are saying today. Also, read the whole article for many, many more anecdotes.

No one cares about male journalists, that's probably the main difference. I would be stunned if male athletes, actors, etc didn't have similar experiences though. If you're famous you tend to draw crazy people

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They aren't famous that is kind of the point.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Philadelphia is the best at being the worst.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Erin Andrews awarded $55 million from the hotel owners.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/erin-andrews-jury-set-deliberate-75-million-lawsuit/story?id=37460110

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I guess that defense didn't work too well for Marriott

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/706970077556580352

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Goddamn that's a lot of scratch but then again gently caress those guys especially for that defense they tried to mount.

Also if you told me that was Paget Brewster in a blonde wig I'd believe you

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/706972050670415872

Am I reading that wrong or is the hotel responsible for only half?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It was 51/49 in terms of the perp/Mariott found responsible, so cut that award in half. Then cut it in half again after the appeal, and take out 90% for the lawyers. So your soul is worth about a million and change, Erin :(

kill all men

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That most likely means only half, which makes sense.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't follow this case at all. What did they say Marriott should have done? Seems crazy you could reverse a peephole in a hotel without anyone knowing but was there more to it? Did they allow this guy to reserve rooms right next to her?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Niwrad posted:

I didn't follow this case at all. What did they say Marriott should have done? Seems crazy you could reverse a peephole in a hotel without anyone knowing but was there more to it? Did they allow this guy to reserve rooms right next to her?
He asked for a room next to hers, and the clerk gave out her room number and booked him next to her (presumably in exchange for a couple of folded $20 bills).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Niwrad posted:

Management gave out her room number and openly watched the video in a restaurant. There's nothing to defend.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Marriott had their phone system setup where you could lookup any guest's room reservation by searching by name. Marriott then let the guy reserve the room next to her, and failed to disclose to her that someone had requested the room next to hers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's incredible. I guess I could understand an independent hotel having lax rules but not a major chain (especially one that is upscale). Unfortunate that she won't get much from the perp.

I'm kind of surprised at how many hotels don't have an optional cover for the peephole. It's like $2 to add to the doors. Ridiculous that a guest has to put a piece of tape or something over it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sports purists should love golf then since a 300 yard drives counts the same as a 1" putt.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always thought ESPN closed down Grantland because the network was losing cable subscribers and they couldn't afford to support a site that didn't make money. Is that not right?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

Management gave out her room number and openly watched the video in a restaurant. There's nothing to defend.

Them watching the video isn't admissible evidence, just more proof that no one should feel sorry for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/706972050670415872

Am I reading that wrong or is the hotel responsible for only half?

Where's the stalker gonna get 28 million from?