Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Angry Diplomat posted:

A witch came to my chicken coop and left a weird egg in it. I stuck the egg in the incubator so I could get a weird chicken. A few days later, I got a message about an explosion sound during the night, and went out to check on my chickens. The strange egg had hatched, and I discovered that I was now the proud owner of a red-eyed, raven-feathered chick named Grumbus.

I was a bit puzzled as to why Grumbus felt the need to literally explode out of the egg, but none of the other chickens seemed terribly fussed, so I shrugged it off and went about my daily routine. I realized my error when I passed by the south end of the chicken run and saw the eerie crystalline meteor embedded in it.

I understand now that Grumbus is more than just an odd chicken - Grumbus is a Destiny Chicken, born under the fiery light of a falling star. I am wary of what may happen if I expose the other chickens to the strange, violet stone, but the Star of Grumbus is harder by far than my steel pick; in fear of whatever doom the meteorite may portend, I have invested a considerable sum of money and gold into having my pick upgraded further.

I can only hope the blacksmith finishes his work swiftly. The Star of Grumbus is clearly a terrible omen... but what it foretells, I cannot guess. I must crack open its rocky exterior and learn what I can before it is too late.

I didn't know there was an incubator. There's 3 chickens I didn't have to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Shane keeps sending me frozen pizzas.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

A witch came to my chicken coop and left a weird egg in it. I stuck the egg in the incubator so I could get a weird chicken. A few days later, I got a message about an explosion sound during the night, and went out to check on my chickens. The strange egg had hatched, and I discovered that I was now the proud owner of a red-eyed, raven-feathered chick named Grumbus.

I was a bit puzzled as to why Grumbus felt the need to literally explode out of the egg, but none of the other chickens seemed terribly fussed, so I shrugged it off and went about my daily routine. I realized my error when I passed by the south end of the chicken run and saw the eerie crystalline meteor embedded in it.

I understand now that Grumbus is more than just an odd chicken - Grumbus is a Destiny Chicken, born under the fiery light of a falling star. I am wary of what may happen if I expose the other chickens to the strange, violet stone, but the Star of Grumbus is harder by far than my steel pick; in fear of whatever doom the meteorite may portend, I have invested a considerable sum of money and gold into having my pick upgraded further.

I can only hope the blacksmith finishes his work swiftly. The Star of Grumbus is clearly a terrible omen... but what it foretells, I cannot guess. I must crack open its rocky exterior and learn what I can before it is too late.

Ah, I see Angry Diplomat has joined us, moving from the Tome thread to the polar opposite of the Tome thread.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Chump Farts posted:

I didn't know there was an incubator. There's 3 chickens I didn't have to buy.

Only once you get the first coop upgrade.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Chakan posted:

Ah, I see Angry Diplomat has joined us, moving from the Tome thread to the polar opposite of the Tome thread.

Sometimes you want to be a demonic bloodsoaked chainsaw knight haunted by the eternal screaming voice of hatred itself, sometimes you want to be a dirt-farming mayonnaise tycoon trying to marry a mad scientist.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Robin gave me 50 stones for Christmas.

You literally gave me a box of rocks for Christmas Robin, what the gently caress?

You can use those on your next building upgrade! She's after business so thoughtful!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
heh

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Supremezero posted:

Only once you get the first coop upgrade.

Ah okay. Thank you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Speaking of, can anyone give me some sizes for the coop and barn upgrades? Like I don't need a specific tile count, just how much larger it is than the lower-tier ones. Is it +1 horizontal / +1 vertical, or is it something less predictable?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The White Dragon posted:

Speaking of, can anyone give me some sizes for the coop and barn upgrades? Like I don't need a specific tile count, just how much larger it is than the lower-tier ones. Is it +1 horizontal / +1 vertical, or is it something less predictable?

They don't change at all from the outside. Every building in the game is some variety of pocket dimension.

If you mean the inside, it's something like +2 each?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Shane keeps sending me frozen pizzas.

JojaMart has terrible loss prevention.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Supremezero posted:

They don't change at all from the outside. Every building in the game is some variety of pocket dimension.

Oh perfect, thanks. I did mean the outside, I didn't wanna drop down a barn and then see that I have to ruin my Sim City farm planning once it's time to upgrade.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
This is what this game really needs:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

*heavy breathing*

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You literally gave me a box of rocks for Christmas Robin, what the gently caress?

the sad thing is that in my current situation in my game i'd actually be excited about this

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just had a second meteorite come down in my stupid involuntary pine forest.

Evelyn gave me a cookie for Christmas :smug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Where are all of your stones going?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Supremezero posted:

No, actually it popped out when I was making Cranberry seeds. I have no idea why.

The seedmaker will randomly spit out ancient seeds, no matter what you put in, it has a small chance of spitting out ancient seed packets.

If you hoe the ground or otherwise find an "Ancient Seed" artifact, you can give it to Gunther who will give you a packet and allow you to craft more if you discover them in the future.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Ugh, gently caress Lingcod. These assholes aren't even worth the time and exasperation it takes me to muster the effort to reel them in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HopperUK posted:

Just had a second meteorite come down in my stupid involuntary pine forest.

It's day 28 of winter year one and I still haven't had a meteor to begin with.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I can't make void mayonnaise. What the gently caress is this. Why can't I make void mayonnaise? This is unacceptable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Met posted:

Where are all of your stones going?

Stone isn't easy to get in bulk. Wood is different, because you can chop down a tree and get ~20 with no inputs but your energy, and not a lot of energy to boot. The biggest analog are the large 4-square boulders that spit out 10 stone apiece, but those are not reliable to find. To get similar harvesting speeds/returns, you need to use bombs. But that's problematic because bombs require ore and coal. So it's a lot harder to get stone on a large scale. Despite that, stone is used comparably to wood in a lot of crafting.

As far as SPECIFICALLY where my stone is going - roads, preserves jars, silos (I have 2 now and they are almost full, so I will likely want to get a third here before too much longer), just off the top of my head. There's probably one or two other things. You get a nice windfall of about 300-400 stone when you're clearing your land, but if you are playing high speed the way I've been trying to, you run through that starter stone very fast.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How much Iridium Ore do you get from the meteor anyway?

I have three of the drat things on my farm right now that I've been ignoring because I don't feel like upgrading my pickaxe for 3 measly ore per meteor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Coolguye posted:

Stone isn't easy to get in bulk. Wood is different, because you can chop down a tree and get ~20 with no inputs but your energy, and not a lot of energy to boot. The biggest analog are the large 4-square boulders that spit out 10 stone apiece, but those are not reliable to find. To get similar harvesting speeds/returns, you need to use bombs. But that's problematic because bombs require ore and coal. So it's a lot harder to get stone on a large scale. Despite that, stone is used comparably to wood in a lot of crafting.

As far as SPECIFICALLY where my stone is going - roads, preserves jars, silos (I have 2 now and they are almost full, so I will likely want to get a third here before too much longer), just off the top of my head. There's probably one or two other things. You get a nice windfall of about 300-400 stone when you're clearing your land, but if you are playing high speed the way I've been trying to, you run through that starter stone very fast.

Eh, you can get hundreds of stone from a single mine trip. You see those lighter tinted rocks in the mine? Those always drop 2-4 stone each, and they're all over the place.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm heading into Year 2 Fall and I finally got my Greenhouse up and running. Y2 Summer was my "I win" button with 9 Tier-3 sprinkler fields of Blueberries and 6 T2 fields of hops, so now that I have more money than I know what to do with, I'm finally working on ranching. I'm not really min-maxing, but what goes best in the Greenhouse? Hops to keep the Pale Ale train rolling? All Blueberries to keep the money flowing?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Blueberries or cranberries or ancient fruits are the most popular, since they're re-pickable and don't block movement and are decent money. Ancient fruits probably the best since you can actually have a reasonable chance of turning them all into jelly (and I think are just straight up the highest value per day anyway, it's just a matter of getting enough seeds).

e: the minmaxiest layout seems to be http://i.imgur.com/Ji0KBhN.png

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 7, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm aware of that, but characterizing it as 'hundreds of stone' isn't accurate. 'Dozens' is more accurate. It's not unusual to walk away with 80-100 stone if you are focused on the harvesting of it, don't run into any substantial roadblocks in the mine, apportion a good 8-10 hours to the dive, and aren't overly concerned with preserving your stamina and health for a dedicated dive. But 100 stone is one silo or 2 preserves jars; it's just not even coming close to cutting the mustard. Due to the grass patches and my own policy of never cutting grass unless I'm getting hay from it or it's directly in my way, my first silo filled up in a single day and the second one has 50 slots left about 72 hours after its erection. It's a slow process even for that, let alone the other things you'd want to use stone for - roads that aren't a bunch of boards on the ground, other buildings, etc.

It's not really a big deal for anyone except those trying to break the game in half so I don't expect sympathy here, but when you're trying to build a ton of stuff in a short period of time, stone is actually one of your biggest blockers.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Clint was my year one secret Santa. As he walked up to me I was all like "ugh Clint, really? This will be awful."

He hands me a bar of iridium. And acts like it's not much. No Clint, that'll do.

We're best friends now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rookersh posted:

I have three of the drat things on my farm right now that I've been ignoring because I don't feel like upgrading my pickaxe for 3 measly ore per meteor.
You should be upgrading your pickaxe anyway :colbert:

No seriously, a Copper Pickaxe takes two swings to break just one rock after 40F. That's probably, what, 3-5 with no upgrades? Get them and fish for a day and a half, they're really nice.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I bought the game this morning. It is a psychological thriller about a young man who inherits a farm, plants some crops, meets some people, and then- he finds an abandoned mine. The more he visits the mine the obsessed he becomes. He stops watering his crops or talking to anyone who isn't the blacksmith or adventurers guild. He's obsessed with the treasures and dangers of the mine. Deeper and deeper he mines, his heart full of murder and greed.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah the pickaxe is the one thing you absolutely want upgraded just for improved speed in clearing the mines, and I'm seriously considering upgrading it to iridium just for the desert dungeon but I want to get the ring first. Really wish I hadn't wasted bars making the crystalarium and and a sprinkler or 2.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

You should be upgrading your pickaxe anyway :colbert:

No seriously, a Copper Pickaxe takes two swings to break just one rock after 40F. That's probably, what, 3-5 with no upgrades? Get them and fish for a day and a half, they're really nice.

At Steel it takes 2 hits to clear all the rocks I've found in both Mines, 3 for gems. It's not a big deal with how much energy I have.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just FYI: If you dig up the snowy/dirty/tarry spots in the mine(with your ho) you get a lot more Dwarf Scroll I than you do from wanting it to drop from monsturs.

Edit: You also get tons tons tons of cave carrots. So many carrots. Smaug's Hord levels of cave carrots.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So you guys, I have a highly technical question... how the gently caress do fence gates work? Neither mashing X or flat-up walking into them seem to work.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

So you guys, I have a highly technical question... how the gently caress do fence gates work?

you put them on an existing fence rather than next to it

it's weird, you're not crazy

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
How can you not have enough Stone, I have 2x999 stacks of the poo poo, just go mining with a Gold Pickaxe. Especially once you have 3-4 Stardrops in you, you'll never run out of energy before end of day when mining.

And with planning, Hardwood isn't even that, well... hard. You just have to hit up the Forest every other day to top off.

Probably the only restricted resource is Iridium, everything else is pretty easy to get.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Uh? I've placed them adjacent. So long as they are bracketed by fences, it works properly.

^ Dude, Coolguye is talking about minmaxing the hell out of the game. Sure you can do this once you've gone through an entire season's worth of chilling farmwork. He's nose to the grindstone burning the candle both ways which doesn't really give you the time to mine stone.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm going to build a second silo. Is there any reason I shouldn't build it in the farthest most out of the way corner of my farm? The hay will teleport into my farm buildings anyway right?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

So you guys, I have a highly technical question... how the gently caress do fence gates work? Neither mashing X or flat-up walking into them seem to work.

Right click to open/close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

Stick them in the fence once you finish it, right click or press A to open and close them.

Fun Times! posted:

I'm going to build a second silo. Is there any reason I shouldn't build it in the farthest most out of the way corner of my farm? The hay will teleport into my farm buildings anyway right?

Yeah, the hay magically teleports into your coops and barns.