Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ometeotl posted:

Pay people to do a job for you, assholes.

[img - open beta]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ometeotl posted:

On the other hand, fans will do this for free anyway if the developers don't do it. At least this way the devs can actively assist in it, or something...I dunno. I try to stay positive, y'know?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm trying to get into the habit of using items in RPGs. Hardest thing I've ever had to do :(

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

On the other hand, fans will do this for free anyway if the developers don't do it. At least this way the devs can actively assist in it, or something...I dunno. I try to stay positive, y'know?

On the other hand, you pay the people that do work for you. Just as graphic designers and artists aren't supposed to work for "exposure", translators shouldn't be expected to volunteer or have their jobs reduced to a volunteer service.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I'm glad the Long Live the Queen lady was able to find better artists as time went on.

this was my character when i played through that game

http://yearbook.spikycaterpillar.com/?c=h37947

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Think of all the exposure in the translation community they're going to get!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I'm trying to get into the habit of using items in RPGs. Hardest thing I've ever had to do :(

You're one of those fucks that doesn't use the boss weapons in mega man outside of the boss fights, aren't you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ometeotl posted:

On the other hand, you pay the people that do work for you. Just as graphic designers and artists aren't supposed to work for "exposure", translators shouldn't be expected to volunteer or have their jobs reduced to a volunteer service.

True, you'd be a fool to offer the effort with no promise of compensation. Nevertheless, I suspect somebody will take them up on it.

Ha ha they could croudsource to fund the budget to hire a translator!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

In JRPGs I only really use items in the first maybe two hours of gameplay, after which they quickly become obsoleted by healing magic. The exception are games like the Tales series and Legend of Dragoon and such that have proportionally-healing items that really never get outdated.

Lurdiak posted:

You're one of those fucks that doesn't use the boss weapons in mega man outside of the boss fights, aren't you.

I am one of those, yeah :(

I'm also one of those fucks that would hoard Megalixers in Final Fantasy, even during the final boss because "i might need it later"

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is the website where a dude translated Dangan Ronpa for free and it became so popular the the company that made it translated it for real and put it on Steam with zero compensation for him. Also the site that translated Policenauts for free. We're not really in any position to call out people translating poo poo as a labor of love.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sleeveless posted:

This is the website where a dude translated Dangan Ronpa for free and it became so popular the the company that made it translated it for real and put it on Steam with zero compensation for him. Also the site that translated Policenauts for free. We're not really in any position to call out people translating poo poo as a labor of love.

Hmmm counterpoint: You should pay people for the jobs you want them to do. Who cares what site this is

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I am one of those, yeah :(

I'm also one of those fucks that would hoard Megalixers in Final Fantasy, even during the final boss because "i might need it later"

Jokes aside, this kind of behavior is something game design has had to struggle against for ages. A lot of things people think are decisions to make games "less punishing" are actually measures against players actively making games less fun for themselves by hoarding and grinding when it's not necessary.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Jokes aside, this kind of behavior is something game design has had to struggle against for ages. A lot of things people think are decisions to make games "less punishing" are actually measures against players actively making games less fun for themselves by hoarding and grinding when it's not necessary.

Yeah. I've been playing Shallie and the lack of a time limit means I can play around freely with the alchemy system and not worry about it. I get that it makes the game easier, but it's also a lot more fun for me I think. In ayesha I kept pushing to try not to waste time or items, and it made everything a lot more difficult than it needed to be. in e&l and shallie you get free item refills, which means the player is given an incentive to make and use cool, unique items.

it does remove any sense of pressure though which would have ruined ayesha cause thats the entire point there

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 7, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When playing, say, Skyrim, I might make Resist Fire potions but then forget to use them against a fire-breathing dragon. Then, while talking to a merchant, I'd notice the potion again, and then sell it because I don't like having a cluttered inventory in these kinds of games. I only ever use healing potions.

Crafting consumables is a fine idea though. Too bad using them isn't an instinct I have yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

When playing, say, Skyrim, I might make Resist Fire potions but then forget to use them against a fire-breathing dragon. Then, while talking to a merchant, I'd notice the potion again, and then sell it because I don't like having a cluttered inventory in these kinds of games. I only ever use healing potions.

Crafting consumables is a fine idea though. Too bad using them isn't an instinct I have yet.

It took me way too long to realize the reason I sucked so goddamn bad at Fallout was because I didn't use drugs.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Hmmm counterpoint: You should pay people for the jobs you want them to do. Who cares what site this is

It's a Catch-22
It's worthy of localization/translation if the fans do that work for free, and when they do, their work is shamelessly stolen by companies that could afford to pay them, but don't.

But companies won't do the translation because "Americans aren't interested"... unless they are, in which case, some nerd did your work for you, free labor!

And fans hesitate to translate, because maybe the company will translate it, but then they don't. Until it's done for free, then they bother to make an official release, half rear end it, and steal labor because :qq: muh IP copyrights :qq:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mak0rz posted:

It took me way too long to realize the reason I sucked so goddamn bad at Fallout was because I didn't use drugs.

This applies to life, as well.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I love it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sleeveless posted:

This is irrelevant. The companies that made those games decided not to translate those games and it took years later for fans to decide to do it for them, leading to one case of the game being licensed and getting another translation (that they paid people to translate). This is a case of the devs wanting to release a translation but not wanting to pay the people doing the work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

art suggestion: mr mosquito biting zikachu while mario and sonic compete at the rio Olympic games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Corn since you played Ayesha recently I'll ask you, is the English bad enough to warrant switching to Japanese VO before I start

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Corn since you played Ayesha recently I'll ask you, is the English bad enough to warrant switching to Japanese VO before I start

I'm not Corn, but imo it's not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I unlocked the great fairy weapon in hyrule warriors and it is awesome

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Loved using that thing in Soul Calibur 2.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Loved using that thing in Soul Calibur 2.

I am not talking about the great fairy sword

I am talking about the great fairy

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:eyepop:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

i had a dream like this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

i had a dream like this

So did Cabbagepots.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP07xW_uYJc

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Being comically huge must be a unique experience in a Warriors game.

Like, Lu Bu is tall, but he's not several stories tall.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh oh I got another one

FirstAidKite posted:

Catherine 2 looking good

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

All of that is amazing

Angry Moon Spirit bomb and blowing kisses to mass murder Dekkus is fuckin RAD.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/marvelous_games/status/705081482440671232

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

There's...something in my eye...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Good work.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

it's not very good but it's not terrible, either. i changed it to japanese because i thought ayesha's voice was annoying, so you'll know right away whether you're cool with it or not.

by the way, pro tip: there's a twice-yearly rare item contest, and you should try to enter every time it happens regardless of whether you think you'll win. even the consolation prize goes up with each go. also, you can buy back the thing you entered after the contest is over, so feel free to hand over the philosopher's stone or a giant gold statue or diamonds or whatever

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 7, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah I bought and really liked Firewatch but they totally made enough money to pay for translations, Jesus Christ. It was the top seller on PSN last month.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On the plus side, Firewatch's seeking volunteer localization might result in one language's script just being incredibly offensive nonsense to get the developers in trouble, like that time one of the Minecraft translations replaced all the in-game text with racial slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Grimace posted:

Yeah I bought and really liked Firewatch but they totally made enough money to pay for translations, Jesus Christ. It was the top seller on PSN last month.

Camposanto can't become the new Electronics loving Arts if they start paying collaborators, lol.

• Locked thread