Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Democratic Debate?
CEO of Goldman Sachs, Hillary Clinton
Pyramid Scheme Kingpin, Bernie Sanders
TRUMP *click*
View Results

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

The only poll available, conducted back in September by the American Jewish Committee, suggests Clinton has strong Jewish support. The poll showed Clinton as the preferred candidate by 40 percent of Jewish voters, with just 18 percent opting for Sanders.

I think this quote sums up my feelings on the issue:

how did they feel about Trump? he said he preferred them to handle his money, that had to poll well right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
If only he could be more like party hero Joe Lieberman that would be great for Democrats everywhere

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Immortan posted:

Holy poo poo somebody pls make gifs of Bernie's facial reactions there :laffo:

http://i.imgur.com/M94jFo9.gifv

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/706673150772322304

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
bernie finds it difficult to talk about being jewish due to his incredible self-loathing

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

The only poll available, conducted back in September by the American Jewish Committee, suggests Clinton has strong Jewish support. The poll showed Clinton as the preferred candidate by 40 percent of Jewish voters, with just 18 percent opting for Sanders.

I think this quote sums up my feelings on the issue:

I think that if you're going to complain that Sanders isn't a super religiously Jewish candidate, you might as well complain that Clinton or Jeb Bush isn't super religiously Jewish. it's just not how those candidates relate to Judaism

Also, that poll is interesting because Jews tend to be white liberals (Sander's home turf) but it doesn't back what you were saying about jews wanting sanders to be more religiously jewish. black people, for example, overwhelmingly support clinton over sanders, and I don't think that's because he's not religiously jewish enough

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know I use 5 month old polls to make declarative statement about the preferences of Jewish people

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think that if you're going to complain that Sanders isn't a super religiously Jewish candidate, you might as well complain that Clinton or Jeb Bush isn't super religiously Jewish. it's just not how those candidates relate to Judaism

Also, that poll is interesting because Jews tend to be white liberals (Sander's home turf) but it doesn't back what you were saying about jews wanting sanders to be more religiously jewish. black people, for example, overwhelmingly support clinton over sanders, and I don't think that's because he's not religiously jewish enough

I'm complaining that Bernie Sanders has a problem with talking about anything other than money. How the gently caress does that reflect upon the progressive values of the faith I practice? How does that advance Jewish values?

rscott posted:

I know I use 5 month old polls to make declarative statement about the preferences of Jewish people

I know I use the best available evidence. If you have better, please, do link.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lmaooo

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't want Sanders to be any more religiously Jewish than he wishes to be; I want Sanders to be honest about how he practices his faith, and that if he is as religiously Jewish as he wishes to represent himself, to stand up for how the practice of his faith has informed his values.

That's pretty antisemitic, man, just sayin'

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm complaining that Bernie Sanders has a problem with talking about anything other than money. How the gently caress does that reflect upon the progressive values of the faith I practice? How does that advance Jewish values?

it doesn't, why do you want it to? Bernie is as religiously jewish as Ben Carson but nobody complained about Ben Carson not representing the Jewish faith in his values and policies

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/706673150772322304/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Speaking from real experience - I grew up white in one of the worst ghettos in the US and I felt loving privileged. It truly isn't the same. All the cops cared about little white girls. They never cared about the little black girls.

True story, when I was in elementary school - about 6 or 7 years old I got mugged for my monthly lunch card money at my school bus stop. From then on there was a cop that would regularly drive by my school bus stop in the mornings.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Mar 7, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That's a deceptively complicated issue you've raised. When did jews become 'white'? What does it mean to be 'white' in America?

These are not issues which Bernie Sanders is able to discuss, let alone raise or answer when directly questioned. Bernie Sanders does not discuss anything other than finance and economics in detail, and that's an issue when he's asked directly to provide specifics.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008

Well, uh, that's pretty fuckin' dirty.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's a deceptively complicated issue you've raised. When did jews become 'white'? What does it mean to be 'white' in America?

These are not issues which Bernie Sanders is able to discuss, let alone raise or answer when directly questioned. Bernie Sanders does not discuss anything other than money in detail, and that's an issue when he's asked directly to provide specifics.

whiteness is complicated, what I meant (and I think almost anyone would agree) was that jews tend to self-identify as white so that they're considered white for polling purposes,

Bernie Sanders talks about racial justice a lot, and also the Iraq war

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus loving christ this might be the largest amount of people iv seen MIGF troll ever.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

What Bernie Sanders said:

"If you are white, you don't know what its like to be poor."

What Bernie Sanders intended:

"If you are white, you don't know what its like to be black."

That's, uh, not how one should go about talking about race.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

jesus loving christ this might be the largest amount of people iv seen MIGF troll ever.

I'm aiming for a new title and avatar myself, I don't know what anyone else is going for

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

What Bernie Sanders said:

"If you are white, you don't know what its like to be poor."

What Bernie Sanders intended:

"If you are white, you don't know what its like to be black."

That's, uh, not how one should go about talking about race.

Here's how you should handle talking about race:

"If you are white, odds are that you grew up in a segregated community. If you are black, odds are you grew up in a segregated community. America must end segregation now, end segregation forever. A vote for my candidacy is a vote to end segregation now and forever."

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Sanders says he wants colleges to be tuition-free it sounds like he's saying Jewish and free. Hope this settles the issue. God bless.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Probably Magic posted:

One could say that's a highly personal question.

I don't think it is, and even if it is that's not reason enough to dodge the question and avoid answering it. It's not like you're giving up your social security number by answering this basic question. I think the reason it's a question that's pivoted is because there isn't a good answer to it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ralp posted:

When Sanders says he wants colleges to be tuition-free it sounds like he's saying Jewish and free. Hope this settles the issue. God bless.

G_d, Ralp, he went to UChicago, not Harvard.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're such a scrub troll lmao.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ralp posted:

clean out yur yearwax dummy

he said his shoe itches and its free

so take his free itchy shoes imo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ralp posted:

really because I heard gluten free

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I bet Bernie isn't even circumcised

#ReleasetheForeskin

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My Imaginary GF posted:

By "majority," I mean 'as indicated by the most recently available evidence'

I'd love to see some crosstabs of super tuesday exitpolling broken down by religion, if you know where to find some.
"Hillary is ahead among Jews" is not the same as what you said, which was "Yes, I do take issue with Sanders dishonest politicization of the Jewish faith,]as do the majority of practicing Jews."

First of all, the poll said "Jewish voters", which is not at all the same thing as "practicing Jews". Secondly, "Hillary has a majority of Jewish voters" is not the same as "Jewish voters prefer Hillary because they don't like the way he does being Jewish." You don't know. You are projecting.

On exit polls, I got nothin'.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Hillary is ahead among Jews" is not the same as what you said, which was "Yes, I do take issue with Sanders dishonest politicization of the Jewish faith,]as do the majority of practicing Jews."

First of all, the poll said "Jewish voters", which is not at all the same thing as "practicing Jews". Secondly, "Hillary has a majority of Jewish voters" is not the same as "Jewish voters prefer Hillary because they don't like the way he does being Jewish." You don't know. You are projecting.

On exit polls, I got nothin'.

I know the communities I've been involved in; I know the temples where the Clintons have attended shabbos and pesach services.

I do not know where Bernie Sanders and his familial surrogates spend pesach.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Bernie was being a bit mysoginst with his scolding tone and pointing fingers "Now Let Me Speak!" CNN political commentators agree. A lady on MSNBC says he should not have dropped the 'G' word Ghetto. drat Bernie, that's an African American word. Don't appropriate.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I missed the House of Cards derail but that show sucks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This CNN analysis has been actively poo poo.

Michael Scott posted:

I don't think it is, and even if it is that's not reason enough to dodge the question and avoid answering it. It's not like you're giving up your social security number by answering this basic question. I think the reason it's a question that's pivoted is because there isn't a good answer to it.

Because of personal experiences that have nothing to do with kvetching about the Democratic Primary.

Probably Magic has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Mar 7, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Probably Magic posted:

CNN...actively poo poo

but you repeat yourself

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Tigntink posted:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/706673150772322304/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Speaking from real experience - I grew up white in one of the worst ghettos in the US and I felt loving privileged. It truly isn't the same. All the cops cared about little white girls. They never cared about the little black girls.

True story, when I was in elementary school - about 6 or 7 years old I got mugged for my monthly lunch card money at my school bus stop. From then on there was a cop that would regularly drive by my school bus stop in the mornings.

Same. I am a white dude from Appalachia who grew up on food stamps, was homeless for a year after my dad died, and was in and out of foster homes throughout my childhood. Despite all that, I've literally never had an interaction with the police where I've ever felt in any sort of real danger. I taught in an inner-city school after I graduated college, and the way police interacted with the black first graders I taught was unlike anything I ever experienced growing up. An average poor white person is still probably way better off than your average poor black person.

He didn't make his point in the best way, but I heard what he was saying.

B B has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Mar 7, 2016

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm not even sure that was the point he was trying to make; being poor and being harassed by the police are separate, independent things. Wealthy black people still get profiled, though certainly much less than a poor black person would. I think he may be addressing the fact that opportunity is incredibly limited for minorities who are born poor, especially since he constantly refers to black and hispanic youth unemployment numbers separately, which is a different but very important issue as well

Personally I think bernie's focusing on the economic aspects of race because those are easier to address; there's not a lot you can do to make police departments nationwide stop being largely racist fuckers beyond actually using the DOJ to crack down on the especially corrupt and racist ones

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mike the TV posted:

Bernie was being a bit mysoginst with his scolding tone and pointing fingers "Now Let Me Speak!" CNN political commentators agree. A lady on MSNBC says he should not have dropped the 'G' word Ghetto. drat Bernie, that's an African American word. Don't appropriate.

quote:

The English word ghetto comes from the Jewish area of Venice, the Venetian Ghetto in Cannaregio.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/706668742881587200

:owned:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ghetto is not a slur, you lily-white pedant fucks.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Haha holy poo poo did he really say this.

Also, almost every single issue that the black community faces today stems almost universally from the horrific K-12 school systems, especially in cities. This also applies to everyone else who is poor and/or living in cities, but until K-12 is gutted and fixed from the ground up, absolutely nothing will ever really be fixed for blacks. But apparently education is boring to talk about unless it's free college, so it will continue to generally go ignored even if most people who are parents will list it as a top issue.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

triple sulk posted:

Haha holy poo poo did he really say this.

They don't call him Bernie Panders for nothin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fullhouse posted:

ghetto is not a slur, you lily-white pedant fucks.

In a nation where black twitter erupts over a WholeFoods tweet urging individuals to eat their vegetables, only one candidate dares to use the term 'Ghetto.' Unfortunately, it is the one candidate who refuses to discuss how the practice of his religion informs his policy positions.

:shofar-wistle:

• Locked thread