Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even if someone got out of the actual organophosphate spill, they're so contaminated their clothes and skin will still kill you, so unless there's a decon shower right there, you're still basically going to watch them die. Those things scare me and it's why I'm glad I don't do EMS near farms anymore.
Also, I don't know how much atropine your medics carried, but can you even have enough on-hand to actually deal with a large organophosphate spill even if you could somehow get to them with appropriate PPE and the decon shower? Last I checked, you needed some pretty drat high doses compared to its use in bradycardia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

So I was browsing wikipedia, and came across this story about the origins of guncotton.

Chemists

As someone with a chemistry background, I'll say: indeed.

There are a bunch of online communities (forums, chats, etc) that are about chemistry. The once I found are actually full of idiot amateurs that ask question on how to set up a lab in their shed so they can make dangerous crap (and cook meth, on the less moderated forums). It seems actual professional chemists are under-represented in those places. If I go there (which I don't do often anymore), I read a few bad idea posts, shake my head, and just walk out. Nothing to see there.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Some days I wonder how humanity survived this long without us all killing ourselves on accident.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Keiya posted:

Some days I wonder how humanity survived this long without us all killing ourselves on accident.

It's definitely not for lack of trying.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Patrick Spens posted:

So I was browsing wikipedia, and came across this story about the origins of guncotton.

Chemists

Early 19th century Chemists didn't give a poo poo about anything. Marie Curie, a women who literally carried radium in her pockets ended up discovering a huge number of radioactive elements. So many in fact, that her 'cookbook' of chemical synthesis is too radioactive to handle without protection. Most of her papers are also similarly radioactive from her work.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Early 19th century Chemists didn't give a poo poo about anything. Marie Curie, a women who literally carried radium in her pockets ended up discovering a huge number of radioactive elements. So many in fact, that her 'cookbook' of chemical synthesis is too radioactive to handle without protection. Most of her papers are also similarly radioactive from her work.

Curie lived in the 20th century. Near the end of her career she knew full well how dangerous the radioactives were and that they caused terrible cancer. Yet, she kept forcing the lab workers she employed to keep doing experiments without any regards to their personal safety whatsoever. She considered results more important than her employees' health. Most of the workers died of radiation disease themselves later on.

Yeah, someone like that is a real nice role model for girl scientists...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

because loving is more popular than experimenting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Curie lived in the 20th century. Near the end of her career she knew full well how dangerous the radioactives were and that they caused terrible cancer. Yet, she kept forcing the lab workers she employed to keep doing experiments without any regards to their personal safety whatsoever. She considered results more important than her employees' health. Most of the workers died of radiation disease themselves later on.

“The more you read about how research progressed in the Radium Institute, the less romantic the story seems.”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ravenfood posted:

Also, I don't know how much atropine your medics carried, but can you even have enough on-hand to actually deal with a large organophosphate spill even if you could somehow get to them with appropriate PPE and the decon shower? Last I checked, you needed some pretty drat high doses compared to its use in bradycardia.

Well, it counters organophosphate poisoning by competing for the same receptors, blocking acetylcholine from getting to them, at which point the fact that you've been exposed to a cholinesterase inhibitor is neither here nor there. So whether you've been poisoned with a few milligrams of VX or been exposed to a massive spill, the effective dose of atropine shouldn't change much; once the receptors are blocked, they're blocked.

The military autoinjectors contain 2 milligrams of atropine and 600 of pralidoxime (which operates differently and is more about the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors than the muscarinic which atropine works on).

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Passed a well-labeled tanker truck of toluene diisocyanate on a road trip the other day. It's pretty cool stuff, apparently it's used to make polyurethane because it'll pop onto any hydroxyl group and make a carbamate linkage out of it. That's especially neat when it gets on you and turns you into polyurethane too.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

Chemists

At least two artificial sweeteners have been discovered because of poor safety practices, especially not washing hands after working with the chemicals.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Carbon dioxide posted:

I've always liked Lise Meitner but I'm a nuclear engineer so her work is a little closer to my heart.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Der Kyhe posted:

At least two artificial sweeteners have been discovered because of poor safety practices, especially not washing hands after working with the chemicals.
Standard poor safety practices, at the time too.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Der Kyhe posted:

I suspect they were lying about it being accidental. Tasting compounds was common practice even in the 1960s and didn't really die out until the 70s or 80s; there's still one Nobel prize winner, Barry Sharpless, who still tastes almost everything he makes.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Also, FOOF Fun Fact: That's also how Denatonium Benozate(aka Bitrex) was discovered. A chemist was trying to create a lidiocane deriviate and instead discovered the most bitter tasting chemical known to man.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Memento posted:

That's just a 4-acid digest. HCl (hydrochloric acid), HNO3 (nitric acid), HF (hydrofluoric acid) and HClO4 (perchloric acid) is the absolute standard for multi-element assays in the minerals industry. Cheap, effective, massive machines do all the work, seriously no one should ever be touching anything. Drill core goes in one end, numbers come out the other.

Oh also they're heated to around 10,000K before being run through the mass spectrometer. Four acid, inductive-coupled plasma mass spectrometry, or 4A-ICPMS. It doesn't belong in this thread, really, because it's completely routine and safe.

You sound like my wife. She used to make fun of me, back in the day, saying I was boring when my friends and I would talk about computers and tech support. Now she will say things like you're saying in regards to protein development with the columns and the assays and the equilibration and lots and gels and synthesis and mass spectrometers and HPLC's and I have no loving idea what she's talking about.

I need a new degree to have a conversation about her work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
0 for instability. Not even trying. (It's probably liquid hydrogen, that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that's usable as rocket fuel and would have those values... which really just raises more questions about that bucket.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

I suspect they were lying about it being accidental. Tasting compounds was common practice even in the 1960s and didn't really die out until the 70s or 80s; there's still one Nobel prize winner, Barry Sharpless, who still tastes almost everything he makes.

Yeah, it's hard to remember that for much of its history, there were no analytical instruments available to chemists. Your own senses were the best instruments available, so tasting a tiny bit of a compound was pretty routine. You'll also find elaborate descriptions of how compounds look and smell in old literature, sometimes even what it sounds like when crushed.

Thankfully most stuff is not instantly toxic in small amounts, but the cumulative damage tended to be pretty bad. Chemists had notably shorter lifetimes than others.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Keiya posted:

0 for instability. Not even trying. (It's probably liquid hydrogen, that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that's usable as rocket fuel and would have those values... which really just raises more questions about that bucket.)

Too much unburnt hair and skin also.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Phanatic posted:

The military autoinjectors contain 2 milligrams of atropine and 600 of pralidoxime (which operates differently and is more about the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors than the muscarinic which atropine works on).

I'm surprised that EMTs don't carry these given that there are a bunch of AchE inhibitors that are now commonly prescribed to elderly patients (Alzheimer's drugs for example) and there's a few given to schizophrenics, both populations where an accidental OD can be common.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AA is for Quitters posted:

I'm surprised that EMTs don't carry these given that there are a bunch of AchE inhibitors that are now commonly prescribed to elderly patients (Alzheimer's drugs for example) and there's a few given to schizophrenics, both populations where an accidental OD can be common.

Well, the atropine injectors are for if you're actively being attacked with nerve gas. It's also important to note that donepezil is a reversable acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, something that they never bothered engineering into VX gas.

Phanatic posted:

The military autoinjectors [s]contain 2 milligrams of atropine and 600 of pralidoxime (which operates differently and is more about the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors than the muscarinic which atropine works on).

We trained in the use of these in the lead up to my quitting the army reserve in 2003. We had heard rumours that our unit was going to get mobilised to go somewhere really, really lovely, and then that training was scheduled, then my contract was up for renewal, then I decided I'd had about enough of that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I come from a biology background (pre-med major), so the phrase "acetylcholinesterase inhibitor" inspires pure terror in me (even after having been mortared and having my base strafed with machine guns at one point). Even more so because I made the mistake of asking an army chemical warfare officer about her job one day. I heard more about nerve agents than I ever wanted to, and learned exactly how expendable most soldiers are to the army :stonklol:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I come from a biology background (pre-med major), so the phrase "acetylcholinesterase inhibitor" inspires pure terror in me (even after having been mortared and having my base strafed with machine guns at one point). Even more so because I made the mistake of asking an army chemical warfare officer about her job one day. I heard more about nerve agents than I ever wanted to, and learned exactly how expendable most soldiers are to the army :stonklol:

Keep in mind that that is one of the last truly World War 3 oriented specializations in the military.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Keep in mind that that is one of the last truly World War 3 oriented specializations in the military.

It doesn't even exist anymore, I don't think. All the chemical warfare officer slots have been changed over to be warrant officer slots, effectively killing off the specialty for commissioned officers. Not that they did anything related to their specialty anyways, other than run an infrequent class on "here's how to put on protective gear, by the way there's only enough for ~8 people in a company of ~140" and run the tear gas house for whoever needed to go through it for whatever dumb reason.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://i.imgur.com/Vbtujp5.gifv

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hot.

Well, I suppose more brisance is developed as opposed to heat, but still.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Icon Of Sin posted:

It doesn't even exist anymore, I don't think. All the chemical warfare officer slots have been changed over to be warrant officer slots, effectively killing off the specialty for commissioned officers. Not that they did anything related to their specialty anyways, other than run an infrequent class on "here's how to put on protective gear, by the way there's only enough for ~8 people in a company of ~140" and run the tear gas house for whoever needed to go through it for whatever dumb reason.

Honestly, I think that's a good thing. That's the sort of niche specialty that warrant officers exist for, because to do that really right would probably damage the career of main line officers.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

What is that? Alkalis are colorless in solution. What's fluid, purple, and reacts violently with what I assume is water?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

What is that? Alkalis are colorless in solution. What's fluid, purple, and reacts violently with what I assume is water?

It seems to be pretty dense. I assumed it was molten lead, producing a steam explosion.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The reddit thread says it's molten salt. But :shrug:

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cross-quoting a Cold War chem grunt: Let's Talk About Idiots!

This is going to be a long post; there's a lot of background useful for getting in the right frame of mind, then there's why this guy's actually important despite the entire first part being about his unit's disposability. The last part is most relevant to the thread, as it's about the various chemicals ChemCorps grunts got exposed to, and becomes all the more interesting for the first two parts.

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

Cost Analysis Warfare was how it was put to some of us who asked questions. Apparently somewhere in the Pentagon is exactly how much a soldier is worth. From training to equipment. Our equipment was more valuable then we were, so that was factored into the analysis. Whether we could take on the Soviet Union or not was entirely decided on weird algorithms and poo poo, all based on 'cost effectiveness' and poo poo like that. Rumor around the unit was that our lives were worth exactly $4.50. Rumors were around that the M1A1 was so tough that the crew could die of radiation poisoning or blast wave overpressure and they could just throw another crew into it to keep getting their money's worth. This led to a lot of pseudo-depression in our unit as we knew that we were written off.

Our life expectancy got leaked: -92 hours. Almost four days before any hostilities we'd be all killed. Should we survive that, our life expectancy was at 19 minutes. The time it would take to load, prep, and strike package us while we were still mobilizing. We'd vanish in a ball of nuclear fire as one of the opening tactical strikes of the war. This caused more drinking, because, well, gently caress it.

And the officers and senior NCO's let that leak into how they treated us enlisted. We were expendable as far as the DoD and DoA and ChemCorps were concerned so they treated us as expendable, which means our leadership was absolutely crappy. They didn't give a poo poo about us, and all that mattered was the Holy Mission. We were told, trained, and reminded on a constant basis that we were not important, the mission was important, and if we had to die to accomplish that mission, then that was it

[...]

We also found out, despite command trying to keep it from us, that everyone in Europe was only supposed to do their best to hold back the Red Steamroller for 72 hours, time enough to get units from Stateside to reinforce us and evacuate the non-combatants. Total unit mortality for my unit by that 72 hour mark was a whopping 90%. That meant that the survivors would be rolled into whatever unit survived to reach us. To top it off, when the ammo was offloaded the Group would be broken into "Warfare Elements" depending on who survived. My crew would break into a mix of infantry and "NBC Advisors" which meant I'd be planning strike packages for the last unit that left the site. This meant that I had to be cross-trained, all my crew had to be cross-trained to advise the units we ended up attached to. Which meant we'd be attached to a unit that did not give a gently caress about us which meant that more than likely we'd be handed a rifle, our real job ignored, while barely intelligent morons threw around the NBC weaponry like retarded gibbons throwing rocks and all the understanding of a monkey doing math.

[I wasn't kidding about this being a long post, by the way]

Then we were read in on the total war planning once we were at 90%. How we'd try to interlock with the rest of MAD, which meant we were read in on the horribly fascinating tactics of MAD. Our unit had its part to play in completely wiping out as many people as possible and poisoning the ground for decades and centuries. Looking back at it, this had a strange effect on us. See, we grew up under the shadow of nuclear war. Nuclear was not if it was when and it was an impossibility that NATO and the Warsaw Pact wouldn't eventually come to blows. Proxy wars, clandestine operations, dirty deals in the shadows, the CIA and the KGB and the DIA and the GRU all hitting each other in the dark with fallout casualties that nobody gave a gently caress about. So we knew it was going to happen, and you had a choice, you could either drink the horror away or you could throw yourself gleefully into the planning, or both. So we'd drunkenly talk about how we'd maximize casualties. Both civilian and military. Which looped back around to the First Commandment. Thou Shalt Not Go To Mental Health. So we had to self-medicate and develop coping mechanism. Usually drinking and fighting and other high risk entertainment.

So there's some nice background; yes there were people in the thread saying he was making poo poo up, which in that post he says his various chains of command also did when he finally got sent out of the unit, but absolutely no one who was in the Army at the time disagreed with the sentiments, the general experience, or the plausibility of it. That was part one; how he and his unit were viewed by the Brass. Part two is what he actually did, then part three is the :stonklol: conditions enabled by parts one and two

Sure, I had a nervous breakdown and challenged a Brigadier General to a fight for the 'total mastery of the universe' from on top of a stack of MRLS rounds, but I knew my poo poo. My assistant squad leader could step into my shoes if I got downed, I could pick up the slack for about half of my crew, and the whole bunch of us had guts and ingenuity.

One question that gets asked to me by people is if I would have authorized and armed certain weapons and taken part in pasting Europe. For some reason the movies like War Games made everyone think that if the balloon went up people would refuse to use NBC weapons.

Sorry to disappoint them, but I sure as poo poo would have used them and turned Eastern Europe into a loving hellscape.

And this is where some real idiocy comes into play.

They gave an 18 year old that kind of authority. Kill Shop would have given me my initial orders before they got wiped out, I'd have modified it according to how things changed on the ground, and then I would have advised the unit I was attached to as well as handed out kill packets to units going through, on how to maximize casualties and break the USSR's will to carry out the fight. The stupidity is that they gave that to an 18 year old. This wasn't "oh, you'll kill 250 people in this village with a napalm drop just to be a dick and demoralize their government and keep anyone from using the Autobahn intersection right there", this was "turn this city of 125,000 into a blasted wasteland to deny the enemy the use of anything there, even loving Twinkies, for 1,000 years because gently caress YOU!"

[...]

One of my favorite things is that I read somewhere that only about 3K chemical weapons were pulled from Europe in 1991. Hell, I had 3K chemical rounds in one loving bunker. Hell, I had 3K nuclear munitions in like 2 bunkers total.

Of course, it does suck that when I talk about poo poo like 'nuclear proof areas' and nuclear land mines or shoulder fired nuclear weapons people look at me like I'm stupid.

But you want some idiocy. How about when I had my nervous breakdown?

[...]

I got in a fight with a 5-ton. IT STARTED IT! I was walking in front of it, pissed off anyway, and for some reason it rolled forward slightly and knocked me down and into the mud. I started tearing it apart with my bare hands, right there in the motorpool, screaming at the top of my lungs at it. My crew drug me off it, threw me in the front of the Gypsy Wagon, and took me out to the site. I kicked that trucks rear end.

I choked out an Air Force officer because I thought he was a werewolf. He kept following me around asking stupid questions and the second night I suddenly jumped on his and started choking him screaming that he'd never convert us all. Then I put on his softcap, stole his weapon, climbed up on top of his car and fired off his pistol into the air shouting that at my whims and desires all Air Force personnel were hereby restricted from entering the site. Weird thing was, when I recovered, I found a V Corps memo restricting Air Force personnel from the site.

[...]

I got caught break-dancing on top of stacks of MRLS rounds by a General (Still having my nervous break-down), who yelled at me to "GET THE gently caress DOWN, YOU MANIAC!" and challenged him to come up and make me. He took off his top, climbed up on the stack, and fought me in glorious hand to hand combat for the right to be "GOD-KING OF THE SITE!" while all of the privates I'd been given stared in shock and the long time members of the crew laughed and cheered. (He beat me and threw me bodily off the top of the 3-high stack and proclaimed himself the "Undisputed Overlord of All Officers Everywhere EVER" at the top of his lungs) I think he may have been crazy too.

[...]

I got sent to 5th Floor Wurzburg and my intake got hosed up. Before I'd been seen by the doctor they took us out for a smoke break outside I jumped the orderly screaming "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!", ran away, stole a car, and got arrested in the Class VI at Fulda just standing there guzzling down booze in the aisle. They took me back, this time doped me up with enough sedative to drop a loving horse, I slept for 3 days straight. My bloodwork showed I had high levels of chemicals (including PCP for no goddamn reason except we were burning pallets) so they kept me doped up and under lockdown for 2 weeks and my head cleared up and I was fine.

When I went up for my Field Grade Article 15 the Colonel read everything, looked at the psych report, and just gave me a suspended bust, 30 days restriction, and 30 days pay.

So they sent me back out to the site.

Because sending the maniac back out to handle nuclear weapons makes sense.

No, this wasn't all a bait-and-switch about a druggie getting through the cracks and into somewhere he really shouldn't have been. Everyone in the bunker and probably quite a few people across the base were unexpectedly popping positive, due to the fact that although they were the people who would be trying to slow down the main thrust of the Communists if WWIII kicked off in the mid/late '80, their equipment was from 'Nam, at newest.

Except I never consciously took PCP in my life.

I mentioned in another thread that for like a year all us mag-rats kept popping hot for PCP on blood work and piss tests and someone pointed out that apparently the Vietnam Era pallets were sprayed with it to keep down the insects and mold. I looked it up and supposedly it isn't supposed to act like regular PCP or some bullshit that made it safe. I guess the Army figured none of us would eat the loving pallets or anything, and we know that the Army didn't give a gently caress about toxicity back then. So they sprayed pallets with PCP, left them in bunkers for 20 years, then told us to replace every single pallet. We couldn't ship them off for destruction and had to destroy them on site.

And we were burning tens of thousands of them over the course of that year and working in the smoke.

Add in we were getting exposed to trace amounts of chemical weapons the whole goddamn times, popping Pyridostigmine Bromide as well as other meds all the time, lack of sleep, alcoholism, deprivation, and just plain job stress, and you have a recipe for the fact we kept getting psychotic breaks all the time. When I worked in the training office for 2 months while I healed up and the entire site was offline due to high contamination levels I found out that at any time we had at least 5-10 people down for psychosis. Mostly it was mag-rats who were down.

We were advised that we couldn't donate blood or plasma.

How in the Hell did the Cold War not end in nuclear Hellfire.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Molten salt

Beaten

EwokEntourage has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Mar 8, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Same reason you don't put out a grease fire with water.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hremsfeld posted:

How in the Hell did the Cold War not end in nuclear Hellfire.

within the many worlds hypothesis, i live in the universe which was not obliterated by nuclear hellfire

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phobophilia posted:

within the many worlds hypothesis, i live in the universe which was not obliterated by nuclear hellfire

yet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

and some variation of "me" will continue living in a universe that was not obliterated

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Phobophilia posted:

and some variation of "me" will continue living in a universe that was not obliterated

Maybe even one where your posts aren't poo poo!

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
maybe A Colder War happened and we *are* dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Cumslut1895 posted:

maybe A Colder War happened and we *are* dead

With your posting we certainly aren't in heaven