Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cabbit posted:

At the same time, "You're better than me at an area of science" is incredibly high praise coming from Reed loving Richards.

Yeah that is what makes it great, Reed honestly means it as a compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Which is why that Pym beats Reed scenario rings false, Reed Richards isn't a boasting gloating dick. Him telling Hank Pym he knew more about Pym Particles would have just been Reed presenting a fact and never meant as an insult. Being tactless, blunt, absent minded and honest with no regard to people's feelings is what make Reed Richards a dick.

Pym would have gotten there to find a 36 page packet explaining things while Richards built some impossible bullshit on the other side never even looking up until Pym actually beat it and by then Richards would be so absorbed in whatever he made that he forgot the science off completely.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Always freaking hated that panel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

goldenoreos posted:

Always freaking hated that panel.

Great red text title material, though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Star Citizen?
E: Better answer, Chris Roberts?

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Next issue: Mister Fantastic opens an E/N thread

"I'm just trying to save the world using math and my wife keeps bothering me to spend more time with my kids. I don't feel like she understands how important my work is. Any advice?"

"DOOM THINKS YOU SHOULD SEVER"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

TwoPair posted:

"I'm just trying to save the world using math and my wife keeps bothering me to spend more time with my kids. I don't feel like she understands how important my work is. Any advice?"

"DOOM THINKS YOU SHOULD SEVER" "Clearly you are not worthy of such a fine woman. Worry no more about her; she is in better hands now. Imperius Rex!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Namor, stop signing your posts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Adventure Comics 1

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Atom was based on a real person as well, Joe 'The Mighty Atom' Greenstein was a strongman who was only 5'4" and 140lbs, but was freaky strong.

His life story reads something like a superhero comic.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=651068116795

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Say Nothing posted:

The Atom was based on a real person as well, Joe 'The Mighty Atom' Greenstein was a strongman who was only 5'4" and 140lbs, but was freaky strong.

His life story reads something like a superhero comic.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=651068116795

quote:

In 1928 a Buffalo newspaper mentioned that he secured a Fairchild FC-2 loving AIRPLANE to his hair with a chain, then held the aircraft in place while the pilot revved the engine up to 30 miles an hour.  Another strongman tried this same feat of strength a few years later and died when he scalped himself.

:stare:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Richards, you fool. Clearly the answer to increasing your genius is to give yourself more autism.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Christ Richards is a dick.

This is what he changed his name to when he decided 'Mr. Fantastic' just wasn't enough any more.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Discendo Vox posted:

Great red text title material, though.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

The lazy eye is a nice touch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just let the text linger a little longer, and it'd be perfect.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's kind of weird that the Atom's motivation was basically "is very short". I mean yeah, writers moved on to the normal guy can't compete with demigods kind of angle, but I can't imagine that kind of character being conceived of today.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that what Puck was originally though? Like Byrne intended him to just be a (relatively) normal dwarf.

Not that Puck is super recent but still a bit later than The Atom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think Scaramouche means specifically with how the Atom's whole thing is compensating for being short and showing the world he's strong in spite of his height.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I never thought Puck actually was shown to HAVE very much motivation, he always seemed to be just "short curmudgeonly agile guy" :shrug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dwarfs are a totally separate thing anyway. Atom isn't a dwarf, he's just short, and obviously we still have an idea of physically imposing people today, but the divide between men who are "tough" and men who are "weak" is very of the era.

Atom is kind of cool in that context, but the concept doesn't carry the same weight today.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 7, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you've ever watched an "open weight" MMA competition, you know that short people actually do get their asses beat in fights with big guys.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah but conceptionally "haha that guy's shor-holy poo poo he's kicking our asses!" just isn't as fresh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I only bring it up because due to movies, a lot of people actually think that if he knows the secret art of Karate, a tiny guy can beat up a room full of bikers.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lurdiak posted:

If you've ever watched an "open weight" MMA competition, you know that short people actually do get their asses beat in fights with big guys.

I don't pretend to know anything about fighting but I imagine that there's a difference between trained MMA fighters and random mooks on the street.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Avulsion posted:

I don't pretend to know anything about fighting but I imagine that there's a difference between trained MMA fighters and random mooks on the street.

Yeah, random mooks on the street will stab you.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There's still something to be said for the man who raises himself up beyond what society thinks him capable, and stands shoulder to shoulder with gods.

Without starting with billions and billions of dollars I mean.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Basically Joe Greenstein's story, except he became a strongman rather than a superhero.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lurdiak posted:

I only bring it up because due to movies, a lot of people actually think that if he knows the secret art of Karate, a tiny guy can beat up a room full of bikers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRK_OMQGQlc

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lurdiak posted:

This is a recurring theme in another thread I like to read/post in

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I once saw a 3 page derail in a boxing thread about if Butterbean in his prime could defeat Mike Tyson today. Fighting sports fans are worse than superhero fans.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cassa posted:

There's still something to be said for the man who raises himself up beyond what society thinks him capable, and stands shoulder to shoulder with gods.

Without starting with billions and billions of dollars I mean.

Shoulder to elbow, you mean.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I don't know the issue, just been told it's from the Thor solo series post-Civl War. Thor is pissed that Tony cloned him. Also, Tony threatened to invade Asgard.

I'd love to post the whole thing :allears: and while some would say a one-sided beatdown isn't badass, I just love seeing Civil War Tony get his just deserts for some of the assholery he pulled.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 11, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not Civil War, Thor didn't come back for that. It's from his solo series which started a little bit afterward.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

:downs: Shows what I know. I'll edit my post, hopefully someone can tell me where it's from.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't know the issue, just been told it's from the Thor solo series post-Civl War. Thor is pissed that Tony cloned him. Also, Tony threatened to invade Asgard.

I'd love to post the whole thing :allears: and while some would say a one-sided beatdown isn't badass, I just love seeing Civil War Tony get his just deserts for some of the assholery he pulled.

Ever since Bendis cranked up Shellhead's power level, he's been such an enormous rear end in a top hat, which makes the beat-downs wonderful when they happen. This one's from New Avengers: Illuminati.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hm yes let's have a fistfight with someone with super-strength and can breathe water in his element, this can't possibly go wrong!
For someone so supposedly super-intelligent, Tony is really really loving dumb.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hm yes let's have a fistfight with someone with super-strength and can breathe water in his element, this can't possibly go wrong!
For someone so supposedly super-intelligent, Tony is really really loving dumb.

Is there still a difference between Namor's power level on land vs. underwater? I seem to recall a time when it was explicitly known that you do not want to face him underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If his socking Iron Man through the ceiling for calling him not a king is any indication, I'm gonna go with no.