Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
it kind of looks like posterization to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Huxley posted:

They seem to drop a touch at the creases of the door, so probably not a camera or monitor issue. What was behind you? Looks like a guardrail or fence, maybe.

Yeah, looks like a wall or fence. You can see huhu's reflection in the middle of the door as well, very faintly.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Huxley posted:

They seem to drop a touch at the creases of the door, so probably not a camera or monitor issue. What was behind you? Looks like a guardrail or fence, maybe.

I flipped through some similar pictures and it looks like a bunch of horizontal lines of different colors painted on the opposite building are creating weird reflections.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

... drat.

dakana fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 4, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's not that bad for pro repairs of main components. Wait til you get an estimate like that just to fix a lens worth maybe 20% more new.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just learned that using a tripod for video can help reduce the size of the compressed video due to the reduced amount of deltas between frames. It seems obvious now but my mind is still blown.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

dakana posted:

... drat.

What camera model is that for? I think I might have need for a new mirror box on my 5D2 but I'm not sure that my shutter count accurately reflects the number of actuations the shutter has cycled (i.e. it may have been replaced when Canon refurbished it before and the counter not reset). I wonder if they can tell what the real count is with their fancy diagnostic tools.

I've had a service ticket and padded shipping box sitting in my room for a while now. Just need to get around to sending it in.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You'd think canon would have a record of what the shuttercount was when it came in, to tell someone no if they try claim warranty or whatever on a camera they've used to death after it was refurbed. You'd also think they'd replace it too so they have 0 risk of the camera coming back in a month but well.

They'd probably have to in Australia to have some defense with our really good consumer law, but well, America.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What camera model is that for? I think I might have need for a new mirror box on my 5D2 but I'm not sure that my shutter count accurately reflects the number of actuations the shutter has cycled (i.e. it may have been replaced when Canon refurbished it before and the counter not reset). I wonder if they can tell what the real count is with their fancy diagnostic tools.

I've had a service ticket and padded shipping box sitting in my room for a while now. Just need to get around to sending it in.

This is my 5D3. I declined the repair and decided to just wait until it actually breaks to replace those parts. I've got a 6D for backup so I'll be fine if it breaks in the middle of a paid shoot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah all the pros I've known just rode their stuff into the ground. Replacing something you have a hot spare for just because it's over its mtbf is pretty wasteful.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Two considerations in my situation: a) if I have to send it in for the mirror box, I might as well get the shutter replaced at the same time, *if* the real count is actually that high; b) Canon will stop servicing the 5D2 someday, I assume. Before long it will be a 10 year old camera, and currently I have no intention of replacing it as the RAW image quality is just fine (ooc JPEG not so much but whatever).

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Where is the best place to get your photos printed onto larger formats? I suspect doing this at a Staples/Kinko's is not the optimal place.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Define larger. Either way, I've always had great experiences with Costco photo printing services if you don't want to put much research into other labs.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define larger. Either way, I've always had great experiences with Costco photo printing services if you don't want to put much research into other labs.

Wall hanging large? I'm figuring large format printers aren't cheap.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The camera store where I get my film developed also does gallery prints, prints onto canvas or aluminium and so forth.

My girlfriend also got a bunch of her photos printed onto large canvas frames as Christmas presents, she went through an online printing service that does business cards, etc.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 6, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I used to get my large stuff printed from Nations Photo Lab before the Canadian dollar poo poo itself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

Yeah, Costco can do some relatively big stuff while you wait. I don't know what their maximum is but I've seen stuff around 30x20.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dudeabides posted:

I've got stuff hanging on my walls as small as 4x6 and as large as 55x39 - "wall hanging large" isn't an answer.

Big prints seem to get dramatically more expensive if the short side is more than 36 inches, in my experience. Blowing up a photo more than 36 inches long side usually results in noticeable pixels, though whether or not that matters is up to taste & subject matter.

Spend the money and print whatever you've got really large, like 8 x 12 FEET, then tell us about it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Speaking of printing, i have been printing some of my own shots using web based print services and been happy with both the prices and results (~$70 USD for a 40x60 cm canvas)

A little while back me and my wife bought this gift certificate for a family portrait session at a local photographer, mainly to learn how to do it ourselves. The photo shoot was so cheap [~$30 USD) we figured it would be worth it regardless.
Once the photographer had selected the photos he wanted to show us we had a session where we got to view the photos on a big screen and look at printing options.
We were absolutely blown away by the ludicrous prices the studio charged for prints. Literally 20 times more expensive [~$1500 USD for a 40x60 canvas) than the print service we have been using so far (which is one of the more expensive print services even)
I realise part of the prices difference is the photographer recouping some of his costs from the photo shoot and i was prepared for a price difference but not for that extreme difference.

Is this just how it is or are the prints done at studios like this better, somehow? Better print quality or something?
Even with using our own photos the studio charges 10 times what the print service does.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ineptitude posted:

Speaking of printing, i have been printing some of my own shots using web based print services and been happy with both the prices and results (~$70 USD for a 40x60 cm canvas)

A little while back me and my wife bought this gift certificate for a family portrait session at a local photographer, mainly to learn how to do it ourselves. The photo shoot was so cheap [~$30 USD) we figured it would be worth it regardless.
Once the photographer had selected the photos he wanted to show us we had a session where we got to view the photos on a big screen and look at printing options.
We were absolutely blown away by the ludicrous prices the studio charged for prints. Literally 20 times more expensive [~$1500 USD for a 40x60 canvas) than the print service we have been using so far (which is one of the more expensive print services even)
I realise part of the prices difference is the photographer recouping some of his costs from the photo shoot and i was prepared for a price difference but not for that extreme difference.

Is this just how it is or are the prints done at studios like this better, somehow? Better print quality or something?
Even with using our own photos the studio charges 10 times what the print service does.

That's the old standby business model, cheap sittings and expensive prints. Personally I hate it and encourage my clients to make their own prints.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Has anybody actually got one of those Fracture prints done?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is a decent DPI for prints? Is there a DPI you wouldn't bother printing at for a standard picture frame sorta size? No more than 12" on the long side sorta thing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
300 dpi is pretty much the standard for something you'll be looking at directly in front of your face (like a magazine) or wall art that you can walk right up to.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

8th-snype posted:

That's the old standby business model, cheap sittings and expensive prints. Personally I hate it and encourage my clients to make their own prints.

I hate it too and refuse to play the game. I'm sure I could be making more money upselling on print packages and making complicated rules for add-ons, pose limits, etc, but jesus christ that's just tiring to me. Pay for my skills and style and print your own stuff, or go through me entirely a la carte with a modest markup to pay for my time fulfilling them.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

So you give your clients the digital files when you are done shooting?

How does your business model work? If your income is entirely the shoot, wouldnt you look a lot more expensive than the "standby business" ? They are not upfront with their pricing in a sense so they look cheap. Once the client is sitting in their studio with the photos they took on a big screen and a price list for prints it is a lot easier to for them to open their wallet.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
Not sure if this is a photography or post-photography question or a mixture of both, but the gist is that I have a few rolex homages that I'm trying to make some product photos for, and am struggling to get them to look more like how a professional watch site's photos would look.

I've been able to take some like this so far, shot on a Nikon D70s --

What I'm trying to go for, though, is a cleaner, brighter look. Here's an example from Rolex's homepage, but most watch brands have photos that look like this --

They look almost cartoonish, which is making me thing they're heavily post-processed (and shot by a much, much better photographer than me), but I'm still not sure where to start with getting my photos to look closer to these. Any advice?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Buy, borrow, rent, or build a softbox.

Petapixel has a DYI guide: http://petapixel.com/2014/10/07/diy-create-simple-softbox-20-less/
So do lots of other sites.

Get a white background and spread your light source (your flash) out with a big diffuser.
If you want a dark background, use (obviously) a black surface, and if you place it far enough away from your subject, bokeh will take care of the dusty fabric for you. Keep the softbox, though - one big difference between your photo and the examples you show is that there are some harsh shadows in your image. Spread out your light and those will go away.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

GenJoe posted:

Not sure if this is a photography or post-photography question or a mixture of both, but the gist is that I have a few rolex homages that I'm trying to make some product photos for, and am struggling to get them to look more like how a professional watch site's photos would look.

They look almost cartoonish, which is making me thing they're heavily post-processed (and shot by a much, much better photographer than me), but I'm still not sure where to start with getting my photos to look closer to these. Any advice?

The images you posted are likely renders out of rhino which is why they look heavy handed. A lot of product shots are renders now.

As far as emulating it goes, your best would be to use a soft box and shoot through a hole. In order to light highly reflective materials you have to light whatever it will be reflecting and not the object itself.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

GenJoe posted:

What I'm trying to go for, though, is a cleaner, brighter look. Here's an example from Rolex's homepage, but most watch brands have photos that look like this --

here u go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GblMRN039K0

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GenJoe posted:

I would also adjust the time so that the hands aren't obstructing any text.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Step 1 with watch photography: set the time to 10:10:35.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

Step 1 with watch photography: set the time to 04:20:00

:2bong:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Spedman posted:

Has anybody actually got one of those Fracture prints done?

I got some for my wife for an anniversary present. They're pretty slick in design but all of mine had a serious yellow cast to them. Which isn't nice when you've got white wedding dress as the focal point. I called them up, they refunded me in full and told me to keep them. So we put them on the wall on in our stairwell where the light sucks and you can't really tell that the colors are hosed.

They said they were updating their machines and that it might be better in the future, so maybe I'll try again somewhere down the line. We do get compliments on them; they look cool.

Unrelated:

I finally got a dslr for christmas after all these years, and immediately hooked up my non-AF lenses to it. Uh, I suck at manually focusing without a split ring. Any advice?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

PFlats posted:

I got some for my wife for an anniversary present. They're pretty slick in design but all of mine had a serious yellow cast to them. Which isn't nice when you've got white wedding dress as the focal point. I called them up, they refunded me in full and told me to keep them. So we put them on the wall on in our stairwell where the light sucks and you can't really tell that the colors are hosed.

They said they were updating their machines and that it might be better in the future, so maybe I'll try again somewhere down the line. We do get compliments on them; they look cool.

Unrelated:

I finally got a dslr for christmas after all these years, and immediately hooked up my non-AF lenses to it. Uh, I suck at manually focusing without a split ring. Any advice?

Depending on the DSLR, use live view or focus peaking, maybe? Or learn hyperfocals?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I signed up for Lynda to watch some of their Photoshop tutorials as i figure its about time to make my photo editing a bit more advanced (Been using Lightroom for a couple years, and only that)
The tutorial keeps harping on about Adobe Camera Raw and how i should use that, and even has a chapter mentioning the LR -> ACR -> PS workflow (so its not like the tutorial is saying to not use LR) but fails to mention what makes ACR different from LR.

Apparently LR is used for organization, ACR for developing raws and applying histogram/color edits and PS for photo editing.
What does ACR bring to raw development that LR does not?
The guy hosting the tutorial literally said "Use ACR, i don't have time to explain why so just trust me on this"
I don't feel i am experienced enough to debunk this and am inclined to use ACR but i would rather not as i already have LR and am used to using that.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I signed up for Lynda to watch some of their Photoshop tutorials as i figure its about time to make my photo editing a bit more advanced (Been using Lightroom for a couple years, and only that)
The tutorial keeps harping on about Adobe Camera Raw and how i should use that, and even has a chapter mentioning the LR -> ACR -> PS workflow (so its not like the tutorial is saying to not use LR) but fails to mention what makes ACR different from LR.

Apparently LR is used for organization, ACR for developing raws and applying histogram/color edits and PS for photo editing.
What does ACR bring to raw development that LR does not?
The guy hosting the tutorial literally said "Use ACR, i don't have time to explain why so just trust me on this"
I don't feel i am experienced enough to debunk this and am inclined to use ACR but i would rather not as i already have LR and am used to using that.

ACR uses the same engine as LR so its almost the same thing, just minus the organisation ability of LR. I normally only use ACR if I'm opening a RAW file directly in PS (almost never), otherwise I always adjust it in LR first then send it to PS from there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I organize/edit all my shots in LR and only move to PS if I need the extra utility to do something that's beyond the toolkit of LR.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the defect in this photo called? I thought it was chromatic aberration, but none of the other examples I've seen online look anything like it.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/95909424@N04/25800176402/in/set-72157666171805445/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Phone posted:

What's the defect in this photo called? I thought it was chromatic aberration, but none of the other examples I've seen online look anything like it.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/95909424@N04/25800176402/in/set-72157666171805445/

It's a stray reflection in the lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Dumb Lightroom question: Is it possible to title individual photos from the Develop tab? I know you can rename as a batch when you export and you can edit the filename and add a title in the Library tab, but is there a way to do it per file in the Develop tab? I ask because I'm running LR on a dying MacBook Air and switching tabs sometimes takes a while. It would be handy to be able to apply some adjustments and rename all in the same scene if possible.