Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

grimcreaper posted:

I think windows10 phone and Continuum say your wrong.

Marketshare says otherwise. Windows phone has reached an unrecoverable level. Satya Nadella himself has already admitted that Windows on mobile is "unsustainable" at this point. Last quarter saw a 57% drop in sales compared the the prior year. It has less than 2% marketshare now, Blackberry is more likely to pull out a win at 3rd place at this point.

It's a shame because the market really needed a strong 3rd option, but there's no denying facts at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Marketshare says otherwise. Windows phone has reached an unrecoverable level. Satya Nadella himself has already admitted that Windows on mobile is "unsustainable" at this point. Last quarter saw a 57% drop in sales compared the the prior year. It has less than 2% marketshare now, Blackberry is more likely to pull out a win at 3rd place at this point.

It's a shame because the market really needed a strong 3rd option, but there's no denying facts at this point.

And thats where your wrong. I can deny any facts as vehemently as i need to. Anyone can, look at Smythe for example with his claims that Nexus phones are best phones.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

How often do the ads show up in touchwiz?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Thats the first one ive ever seen. Talk about lovely. Galaxy App pushing ads, must be how Samsung is gonna recoup Gear VR Costs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never seen an ad on my Note 5 like that (yet), poo poo

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You can and should turn those off in the settings.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

You can and should turn those off in the settings.

lol, Smythe is right in every way

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
You mean disabling all the Samsung apps isn't the first thing everyone does when they get a Galaxy phone?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DuckConference posted:

im dying

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

You mean disabling all the Samsung apps isn't the first thing everyone does when they get a Galaxy phone?

i like the samsung apps. They bring versatility to a bare device. Unlike Nexus which requires you to search out those nasty 3rd party non-google apps on your own. I get to experience the joys of the Samsung App Ecosystem, finely tuned to bring me a great experience. The Google "pure" experience forces you to go outside of their hugbox and find those apps which dont mesh correctly with the True Pure(TM) Google Experience.

Serious Question time: Is there a big difference between samsung and sandisk microsd cards? Im looking a couple class 10 UHS U1 cards that both claim up to 80megs read/write but the Sandisk is 6 bucks cheaper. Ive pretty much used Samsung only cards since a few of my PNY ones crapped out on me fairly quickly (less than a couple months each) which have held up well, and i trust Samsungs specs based on personal usage of their Evo lines.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 7, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

grimcreaper posted:

i like the samsung apps. They bring versatility to a bare device. Unlike Nexus which requires you to search out those nasty 3rd party non-google apps on your own. I get to experience the joys of the Samsung App Ecosystem, finely tuned to bring me a great experience. The Google "pure" experience forces you to go outside of their hugbox and find those apps which dont mesh correctly with the True Pure(TM) Google Experience.

lmao

grimcreaper posted:

Serious Question time: Is there a big difference between samsung and sandisk microsd cards? Im looking a couple class 10 UHS U1 cards that both claim up to 80megs read/write but the Sandisk is 6 bucks cheaper. Ive pretty much used Samsung only cards since a few of my PNY ones crapped out on me fairly quickly (less than a couple months each) which have held up well, and i trust Samsungs specs based on personal usage of their Evo lines.

I've heard of issues (not many, though) with Sandisk and PNY cards. Meanwhile I've used nothing but Samsung SD cards and never had a single one fail on me. I guess this is just purely anecdotal evidence but there ya go.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

grimcreaper posted:

I've always had the impression that Samsung is the top of the line. I always check amazon reviews. Someone will post a benchmark.

The main question I have is do phones actually take advantage of the speed.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

lmao

I've heard of issues (not many, though) with Sandisk and PNY cards. Meanwhile I've used nothing but Samsung SD cards and never had a single one fail on me. I guess this is just purely anecdotal evidence but there ya go.

Yeah, ive got a small balance left on my amazon account so i think ill stick with Samsung. Its a shame Amazon didnt pricematch samsung.com's offer on the 64gig pro+ card for 30. the evo+ looks pretty good, almost all positive reviews. a couple claiming slow write speeds, but they dont provide info on their phones or sd reader/writer so it could be bad cards or slow readers.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've always had the impression that Samsung is the top of the line. I always check amazon reviews. Someone will post a benchmark.

The main question I have is do phones actually take advantage of the speed.

For most things, no they dont. Where the speed comes in handy is for high quality video recording with newer flagship phones. If you think you might record some 4k video then you need a high speed card. While i dont have intentions to do so frequently, i may go back east and visit some family and having some good video might be nice. Otherwise id just grab one of the 850 evo cards that are dirt cheap on sales everywhere.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 7, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DuckConference posted:

:thurman: GOLDMINE MOTHERFUCKER *Racking and blasting epic shotty over and over into the ceiling* GOLDMINE!

:five: :five: :five: :chome: :five: :five: :five: :five:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Kreez posted:

My Moto X 2013 finally exploded. At first I was excited that it was an excuse to get a new phone, but everything out there seems to have just as many drawbacks as improvements compared to my Moto X. I decided to buy a new screen and try to replace it, but half the screws inside the phone came stripped from the factory, so there's no way I'm going to be able to repair the phone with any reasonable amount of time and effort spent. I'll just buy a new phone and eat the lovely restocking fee on the new screen and battery I bought.

Things I loved about the Moto X that I'm concerned about losing:
-Screen size and form factor
-AMOLED screen + Ambient Display notifications

Things I'm looking forward to improving:
-The camera
-Battery life
-The Micro USB port being a flimsy piece of poo poo that requires mucking around with every week in order to not have the charging cable fall out at the slightest touch.
-Dual SIM would actually be useful, as I'm often in the US or Europe, and I could have a local SIM for data, and keep my Canadian SIM in to accept calls and texts from work. Right now I have to swap SIMs every couple days while out of country and check for texts and voicemails.

Things that didn't really bother me, but I guess could be improved with a new phone:
-Performance. I know the Moto X is old, but I didn't really notice performance issues with the way I use my phone. Maybe there was crazy stuttering, I just don't know any better?
-Android 6. Maybe it's just because I haven't paid attention, but I don't know of a Marshmallow feature that I really wish I had, so I'm completely ambivalent about not being able to upgrade.

Assuming I buy a new phone, some options I'm considering are: (prices are in CAD, and some include a discount because I have a credit with my carrier, but they only carry some of these phones)
-Nexus 5X 16GB: $439 - Pros: USB-C seems neat, camera, Nexus device, best performance. Cons: no AMOLED or Moto ambient display, and bigger than ideal.
-Moto X Play 16GB: $327 - Pros: Battery, Ambient Display. Cons: It's huge. not AMOLED, Performance?
-Moto G 8GB: $157 - Pros: Cheap, decent form factor. Cons: Everything else?
-One Plus X $340: Pros: Decent Form factor, AMOLED notifications, performance vs Moto X Play, dual SIM. Cons: No updates? Camera (still better than Moto X!), sketchy company? (note: no LTE issue for my carrier, and I'm fine being on 3G when in the US)

Thoughts? I have a Nexus 5X arriving tomorrow that I'll try out and probably return when it's too big. It looks to me like the One Plus X is my ideal choice? Is the company really that bad? Should I expect! the phone to arrive non functional?

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago - Moto X broken, and you'll have to make some trade-offs indeed.
The only good small phones nowadays are in my opinion the iPhone and the Sony xperia z3 compact or z5 compact, but they both come with a hefty price tag.

Nexus 5X seemed pretty good but some people apparently do have hardware issues with them, plus the European prices are just ridiculous. But they have a great camera and a fingerprint reader.

I got the Moto g3 16 gb (don't get the 8 gb variant, it has less RAM, which will really hurt performance, and 8 GB is way top top small) as a replacement, mainly because of the price tag. It's actually quite decent, performance and camera are on par with the Moto X 2013, and the battery life is way better: I get 2 days on a single charge, when I got about 12h from the old X. However, don't let the screen size fool you - it is the same size as the Moto X play, which is huge coming from a small phone. You get used to it, but I still prefer the smaller size. And I find the screen to be not as good as the old amoled one personally, although you keep the notifications.
Also, I just got the marshmallow update: doesn't change much (apart from app permissions) but it is nice to have an up-to-date OS.

Basically the extra price of the Moto X Play gets you a better SOC, a nicer screen and a better camera (and quick charge), otherwise they are pretty much identical.

One plus is a joke. Don't buy anything from them.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So I got the S7. It is cool and good. I may write up detailed thoughts when I get a chance.

DuckConference posted:

I wouldn't know about that one; Galaxy Apps, like the other preloaded Samsung apps, can be easily disabled when you're setting up the phone.

Also the color scheme shows that screenshot is clearly not from a current-gen Marshmallow touchwiz.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, android 5.0.2

At home, on wifi, the battery gets drained ridiculously fast. Sometimes 20% can be gone in 2 hours, even after I uninstalled all Facebook apps and rebooted clean. I've had it drain 80% battery in half a day, with little to no use.
At work, on the work's wifi (some advanced enterprise setup), it's fine, and drains battery very reasonably (i.e. almost nothing when just idling).

What can I do to attempt to figure out what's happening?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Do you have lovely cell signal at home?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whizbang posted:

This should go in the OP. All phones, regardless of brand, handle poor reception about as well as an epileptic handles the paparazzi. They spaz the gently caress out in every which way because so much of a device's user-facing function is contingent on the presence of an internet connection. Take that away and you have a dozen apps relentlessly trying to update and timing out over and over and nothing is there to tell them to stop outside of disabling background data. On top of that you have the SOC trying to manage a bad signal through error correction and additional processing, increasing the antenna gain, etc. It's worse than having no signal at all, though, because the phone will just acknowledge the attempt and not even try if there's no signal. If it's spotty, though, you have the phone latching onto that glimmer of hope and trying every time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A poor cell signal shouldn't cause apps to fail to get updates if Pilsner's on wifi, though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Whizbang posted:

Nope, I live in a brick/wood house (no concrete), in a quiet residential area, and I've never experienced reception problems. My small country is extremely well-covered.

On various phones I've experienced battery drain on, it's always been a form of data (wifi or 3G/4G) issue, where some app is going nuts polling or receiving (internet) data. I've never had it be related to the old fashioned cellular network, as in finding a network.

I'll try testing by disabling mobile data as a start and see how it goes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

A poor cell signal shouldn't cause apps to fail to get updates if Pilsner's on wifi, though.

Depends on whether the wifi is blocking something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

I wouldn't know about that one; Galaxy Apps, like the other preloaded Samsung apps, can be easily disabled when you're setting up the phone.

Like, I understand and agree you've got to weigh this against the benefits you get out of an S7 (disclaimer: I'm seriously considering getting an S7), but the mind boggles that this is just something people are like "oh well" about.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Samsung kind of notorious for selling phones with X amount of GB, except that it's only half of X because Touchwiz takes up so much? Seems like if their S apps are such poo poo that even Samsung users have the attitude of "just disable them" that maybe they shouldn't be installed at all? Or at least make then fully removable so you can get the storage back.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

How's installing cyanogen on the S7 looking? I don't think a compiled rom is out yet but should it get rid of some of the samsung bloat?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Look like the S6 is still in the "boots but half the features don't work" phase so I wouldn't hold your breath.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I read reports about the S7 that some Samsung apps can be moved to the SD card and deleted from there. Is that crap?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I read reports about the S7 that some Samsung apps can be moved to the SD card and deleted from there. Is that crap?
The S7/S7edge supports moving apps to SD, but the complaint is about apps that are provided as part of the system partition and can be disabled but not deleted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should really, really reconsider your choice in phone if your first thought is "Hey should I install a custom ROM?"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Thermopyle posted:

Like, I understand and agree you've got to weigh this against the benefits you get out of an S7 (disclaimer: I'm seriously considering getting an S7), but the mind boggles that this is just something people are like "oh well" about.

Hold down notification ad > click block notifications. TouchWiz is Not Good but the only part you'll ever actually have to deal with after disabling/replacing all of it (as long as you don't have a note or edge) is the notification shade and settings menu. Both are fine.

So yes, TouchWiz is garbage but, at least for me, it's not even close to a dealbreaker against getting the best screen.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Saw that Verizon has shipped my S7. Countdown to happily during down this Windows Phone, 2 days.

Even though my store said I get Gear VR and a coupon for Gear S2, I'm sure that is an additional wait and they didn't pack it in.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Smythe posted:

:thurman: GOLDMINE MOTHERFUCKER *Racking and blasting epic shotty over and over into the ceiling* GOLDMINE!

:five: :five: :five: :chome: :five: :five: :five: :five:

I mean yeah it was partially a joke but to be serious if I were to buy an S7 Edge the ads are pretty easy to turn off right? Would the different carrier versions have their own fuckery?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DuckConference posted:

I mean yeah it was partially a joke but to be serious if I were to buy an S7 Edge the ads are pretty easy to turn off right? Would the different carrier versions have their own fuckery?

On my S7 there are zero ads so far. And I didn't even disable the Samsung apps, in my experience (of a few days) they do not display ads. There were one or two notifications promoting features specific to the phone, but they were actually much fewer and much less annoying than the ones I encountered on my Moto X Pure (2014).

Each carrier will spec their own bloatware/fuckery. I have the T-Mobile version. It's very light on preloaded software, which is nice. However it looks like like they disabled the identify unsaved numbers feature, instead promoting the paid "T-Mobile Name ID" service.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Require More Fire posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Samsung kind of notorious for selling phones with X amount of GB, except that it's only half of X because Touchwiz takes up so much?
So, yes, although it isn't so much that TouchWiz takes up so much space (although it does take up an inordinate amount of space), but it's that they have to pre-reserve the space that might be taken up by future system updates too. It's a guess as to exactly how much space that might be.

Require More Fire posted:

Seems like if their S apps are such poo poo that even Samsung users have the attitude of "just disable them" that maybe they shouldn't be installed at all?
Samsung users here have that attitude. Random S7 purchaser doesn't know any better, and a few of those people might actually use them.

DuckConference posted:

Would the different carrier versions have their own fuckery?
Yes. I don't know if any of the carriers actually prevent you from disabling the ads, but it's certainly something they could do. There's probably some carrier somewhere that offers the devices on an ad-supported discount plan.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It's 2016, stop loving buying carrier locked phones hth

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a place to buy unlocked Samsung phones in the US that is like Motorola's store, and gives you a couple years free financing like Moto and the various carrier programs?

Not advocating financing consumer electronics, but it's what most people do.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

You should, I'd like to see your thoughts on it.

Anyone in this thread will be able to disable all of these apps/extra clutter in the notification bar, etc. in a matter of minutes and it's a one-time thing. When we are talking about the general public who have only had Galaxy phones/are switching from an iPhone... I think most of them will be indifferent on the matter, maybe an "oh well" at worst if they even get what's going on. I'm not saying that makes it right, but really, it doesn't affect those who actually care about it/are bothered by it (aside from on a principle level) and obviously it can't affect those who honestly don't care to begin with.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Is there a place to buy unlocked Samsung phones in the US that is like Motorola's store, and gives you a couple years free financing like Moto and the various carrier programs?

Not advocating financing consumer electronics, but it's what most people do.

No. I mean you could I guess buy the phone without a contract but it will still be locked to X carrier. I think it technically is unlocked until you put that carrier's SIM into there but odds are the carrier will already do that before you get the phone.

You can buy an unlocked variant from the UK but that will have no warranty since it is an international phone.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I drove by a local store and took a good look at S7 and Edge. Side by side with S6 they look like very incremental improvemens, but they felt so nice. I nearly bought a black S7 for its camera and speed, but they had none in stock :/

Anyways, is there any way to combine nice looks and durability? My Note has fallen from 1-1,5m so many times, I've fastballed it past my couch/bed etc. and it just has some paint missing from the edges. I assume S7 would just break horribly when I eventually drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Alternatively, do what you want with your money.