Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

PCGamer Weekender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BeefThief posted:

Now model how long the stimpire has left with 7,000,000,000 people out of 4,000,000,000,000,000 being served in the restaurants every day

e: lol I just remembered that if you lose a boxing match they cut off your hands, and that if you're in the crowd and don't cheer for the winning sports team you get executed.

The number of people served is less than 0.0002% of the population, so compared to standard events such as just regular ageing and births (which would probably be on the order of a single-digit percent), it's pretty much an insignificant rounding error.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, SQ42 will feature running around with a coolant tank. Good!

A capital ship with 50 crew is a tiny destroyer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I knew about Star Citizen back when they did the CGI trailer for the Kickstarter. My first thought was literally that it looked like someone doing a very 'inspired by' Wing Commander, with the green and white human ships and the angular, jagged alien ships. Then I saw that it was actually Chris Roberts and it seemed like the guy was trying to recapture the stuff that people actually liked him for, before he tanked it with one of the worst movie adaptations (and movies in general) of all time.

Only really started paying attention to it though when the dogfighting portion was revealed and it was terrible.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I backed Elite Dangerous instead because Wing Commander was poo poo and Chris Roberts was always a hack. My feelings were vindicated when a friend ranted to me about how the modular development process was new and incredible about the time the dogfighting module was released.

<several years missing>

Someone linked me to this thread and I fell into the rabbit hole. I still don't understand how anyone fell for it in the first place.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I pledged late 2013, mostly forgot about Star Citizen and only sometimes watched their flashy videos while thinking "This looks cool I guess". Late 2015 I decided to see how Star Citizen was doing and found this thread and now I make dumb gifs, pictures and videos.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Me? Just here for the lulz and the :pgabz: sweet dancey cat booty :pgabz:

Here's some booty for your ears, dancey cats:

It's a loop, so just put it on repeat and drift off whatever space station you're on into the starfield...see you in the verse commando o9

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Oh nice. Very, very soon feels like a real time measurement I can trust.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

"At the current stage, the graphics could run on a PS4."

Well it's nice to know they're designing for consoles.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

intardnation posted:

For me it was the leveraging of the old backers vs the new and LTI. Then they said LTI was gone and would never come back. When it did - that was it for me. I had been pretty vocal about how poorly they had managed the community
and how things were getting out of hand. But the biggest one that made me sick was the push for sales at the end of LTI and it is never coming back. Well except for concepts, and ccu and .........

I more or less stopped paying attention to anything about SC- even 'this is a funny trainwreck' related- after the initial dog fighter module launched. But one of the more amusing things to me now that I'm back is all the jargon and terminology CRI has built up around not even their game, but just around the weird constant pledging situation and non-game things they've done. Everything's a module, and even after a month or two of reading this thread again I couldn't tell you if any of them fit together or what's active or really anything. They have acronyms like LTI and terms like 'melt' which feel like terms you'd use to describe game mechanics but nope- it's all about what you can do with your 'pledge' money. I'm pretty sure there's a team sitting around trying to come up with new variations on the term 'pre-alpha' so they can describe more things in ways that put a positive spin on non-functioning code.

They've made the act of donating money to them have a learning curve.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I was expecting an article that went on about a bunch of hypothetical and abstract technical points that couldn't be verified in an interview that was little more than an advertisement but bugger me if they didn't break the joke about refusing to show actual gameplay right over their knee.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Planet design: 50/50 procedural/manual. Lol, they are hosed.
Environment design: 60/40 modular/artist. so hosed.
Local Physic Grids: transfer of momentum... unbelievably hosed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Important things to note:

- PS4 hilarity incoming
- As we thought, even with their fancy new PG tech, 50% of each planet has to be done by an artist, so enjoy the one starsystem a year, spergs!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
http://culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

quote:

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

• Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
  • No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
  • No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
  • Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
  • There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
  • Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
  • There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.
  • Followers feel they can never be "good enough".
  • The group/leader is always right.
  • The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.

• Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.
  • Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.
  • Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".
  • Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.
  • Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.
  • Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.
  • A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.
  • Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.
  • Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.
  • Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

Just a reminder that this exists. The whole "cultists" thing isn't even a joke.

REDDIT EDIT: Before any of you go "yeah but Lowtax and DSmart can't be questioned lol run along little troll and try harder" I'd urge you to read this thread properly :v:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 7, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

trucutru posted:

Planet design: 50/50 procedural/manual. Lol, they are hosed.
The generator generates (that's 50%), then an artist redoes the entire planet (the other 50%).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Important things to note:

- PS4 hilarity incoming
- As we thought, even with their fancy new PG tech, 50% of each planet has to be done by an artist, so enjoy the one starsystem a year, spergs!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49bj3a/how_far_do_you_think_the_persistent_universe_is/

:smug:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD: WHEN WAS THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES?

the initial pitch never looked viable to me. they were going to have the best flight simulator ever, with a fantastic fps built into it. even if they weren't horribly technically incompetent, making that combination fun and balanced is essentially impossible for any development group. Then as they started adding additional promises and got even more surreal. at one point they were talking up their full base building SimCity like game you would do on planets. and the RTS game that they would have in for planetary warfare. I believe the backer response to these concerns was that it was going to be modular, so by 2014 or so they would have the full persistant universe and just have to add in the planet stuff.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This focus on things being modular is crazy. No other developer does it, for blindingly obvious reasons. CIG obviously can't get it to work. Yet apparently it is the answer to all the problems they ever have.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD: WHEN WAS THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES?

I basically stopped following Star Citizen shortly after I backed in 2013. I popped into the subreddit every now and then, but my general thought was that big games take a loving crazy long time to make, and I was better off just putting it out of my mind until there was something substantial. I played Arena Commander a couple times, but mostly we were waiting until we could get my buddy's Constellation into space and do cool poo poo with it.

I started poking my head back in the door in 2015, wondering why the gently caress there was so little done. The Escapist article didn't bother me that much - not because I didn't care about the allegations, but taken on their face I didn't really see much to indicate they were more than pot-stirring. And then Chris wrote his response. That letter loving scared the poo poo out of me, because it was apparent that the man in charge was a petulant baby. I started following the drama on reddit and realized pretty quickly that the subreddit had become dangerously toxic.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

In two years nobody will use fiat currency anymore, you'll see!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This poo poo it absolutely insane. Nothing is working on the PU, there are no game systems, and there are not even functioning ship physics. Never mind all that. We're going to have:

- AI crew of 50-70 personnel on capital ships. Never mind that there is no AI in the game beyond pirates flying in circles (if you can find them) - they're going to program 50-70 separate crew AI components.
- Environment 60% modular, 40% artist. They pinned down the exact percentages - wow! That must mean they have been making progress.
- Planets (that do not exist yet) - 50% procedural, 50% artist. I obviously know nothing about game development, but it seems having to make the artists do half of a planet anyway rather defeats the purpose of having procedural generation in the first place. Procedural generation is what you use when your environments are too vast and numerous to possibly have someone hand-craft them all. I could understand having everything procedurally generated and then having artist create points of interest (cities, outposts, etc.) but 50%? If that is to be achieved, then the planets will have to be very small, and at that point why not just have 100% artist? "OK guys, we need you to manually create a planet the size of Earth and fill it with cool poo poo." "That is insane - nobody can do that." "OK how about just half of Earth?" "OK, that's more like it! Two weeks."
- Ballistics grids conferring transfer of momentum, like ballistics through a ship. Anyone here remember WWII Online? They claimed the same poo poo. "Your shots will bounce around the inside of the tank in a realistic way and hit certain important mechanical points and cause realistic damage!!!" Remember how well that translated into actual gameplay? "Shell hits tank - tank blows up." It's all smoke and mirrors bullshit, making it look like they're doing all this complex poo poo. Who falls for this? Oh...
- Graphics will run on a PS4. Thanks guys, nice to know this uncompromising PC game with next-gen fidelity will work on consoles.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Anyone here remember WWII Online? They claimed the same poo poo. "Your shots will bounce around the inside of the tank in a realistic way and hit certain important mechanical points and cause realistic damage!!!" Remember how well that translated into actual gameplay? "Shell hits tank - tank blows up."
I took a plane for a strafing run there once. MG fire from below did take out my character's legs, but I couldn't test it on foot because I crashed a minute later.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Maybe Chris was playing XCOM 2 and decided he liked the plot system of procedural generation, so the 50/50 means that planets will be made from procedurally assigned tiles of handcrafted environments?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

- Graphics will run on a PS4. Thanks guys, nice to know this uncompromising PC game with next-gen fidelity will work on consoles.

How are the citizens not pantshitting about this? How dare they mention consoles when talking about the graphical fidelity of SC. One of the main selling points to these pcmasterrace assholes is that you'll need a $10k rig to play it properly.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

It sounds to me like all of that was made up on the spot, except for the fact that they're trying to get SQ42 on PS4.

e: wrong quote

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe Chris was playing XCOM 2 and decided he liked the plot system of procedural generation, so the 50/50 means that planets will be made from procedurally assigned tiles of handcrafted environments?

Chris playing XCOM 2? He would have fits even on the lowest difficulty given his (in)ability to play even his own drat game.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Krakenwagen posted:

Chris playing XCOM 2? He would have fits even on the lowest difficulty given his (in)ability to play even his own drat game.

*Squaddie 42 dies*

*CR starts coding a new movie script at midnight*

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ewe2 posted:

Me? Just here for the lulz and the :pgabz: sweet dancey cat booty :pgabz:

Here's some booty for your ears, dancey cats:

It's a loop, so just put it on repeat and drift off whatever space station you're on into the starfield...see you in the verse commando o9

you should do the theme music for space plebeian. say each note was a different instrument so it has EVEN MORE pieces than fart shitizen music

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Krakenwagen posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRd20xaoChM

If DSP can bumble-gently caress his way to the end of XCOM:EU I'm pretty sure Chris could pull off a similar cocaine fuelled feat for the sequel.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

- Ballistics grids conferring transfer of momentum, like ballistics through a ship. Anyone here remember WWII Online? They claimed the same poo poo. "Your shots will bounce around the inside of the tank in a realistic way and hit certain important mechanical points and cause realistic damage!!!" Remember how well that translated into actual gameplay? "Shell hits tank - tank blows up." It's all smoke and mirrors bullshit, making it look like they're doing all this complex poo poo. Who falls for this? Oh...

But think of the possibilities! Like, you hit an Idris real hard so their shields are down so one of their AI repairmen takes a replacement shield generator from storage and moves towards the shield room. Then you activate your space x-ray vision, take your marvok mkIV sniper rifle, open your space windows and snipe the repairmen from your ship. You hit him in the leg, which causes him to drop and break the generator! Best game ever!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Pgabz use one of these songs for your vids next, they're thematically relevant to star citizen.

Up on the ladder- Radiohead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-fk8Q-oRc

wind up space - John frusciante
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXO_I5Ef8c

john frusciante the first season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8fVseBCxRc

the loop- Morrissey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDtT5eNYzpU

why don't you find out for yourself - Morrissey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvy2uu2BV0

crazy horses- The osmonds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2WJt6Cpwus

stand and deliver - Adam and the ants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSseiQglvG4

the darkness- growing on me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGIcxeyWp_I

stuck in a rut - The Darkness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhH3BBgw0Ww

the byrds- everybodys been burned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Uh8933Jvs

aeroplane- Red hot chili peppers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5zgHGUfMQo

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think it means "oh gently caress this is never getting done just copy and paste everything then make half the colors different :supaburn:"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRd20xaoChM

If DSP can bumble-gently caress his way to the end of XCOM:EU I'm pretty sure Chris could pull off a similar cocaine fuelled feat for the sequel.

Chris can't figure out control alt delete or plugging in his poo poo. He sits there bewildered like an old lady who saw her first computer while a homeless man hovers around unhelpfully

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Yeah I'm going to post 3 times in a row

Also I can't get the dancy cat hoedown out of my head :pgabz:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

But think of the possibilities! Like, you hit an Idris real hard so their shields are down so one of their AI repairmen takes a replacement shield generator from storage and moves towards the shield room. Then you activate your space x-ray vision, take your marvok mkIV sniper rifle, open your space windows and snipe the repairmen from your ship. You hit him in the leg, which causes him to drop and break the generator! Best game ever!

This is exactly the kind of thing they're promising, and WWII Online was doing the same thing. Even if they made it work this way, they're running way off the deep end of the cost to benefit ratio. Spending 99.999% of the development time making a system that will occasionally manifest in something like you've described %0.001 of the time if the planets align, and the player might not even notice.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

This is exactly the kind of thing they're promising, and WWII Online was doing the same thing. Even if they made it work this way, they're running way off the deep end of the cost to benefit ratio. Spending 99.999% of the development time making a system that will occasionally manifest in something like you've described %0.001 of the time if the planets align, and the player might not even notice.

Thanks for ruining my dreams man! *Tears up ideas and notes for my own videogame/boardgame/rpg/postapocalyptic sci-fi thriller.

*seriously

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

trucutru posted:

gently caress yes where do I peldge again??

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

darkarchon posted:

Shouldn't it be h = (h × 3) × s

I would have said yes, but that also falls into the trap of there being a moment where there is no hilarity, which is simply not the case. Our maths needs better fidelity to adequately describe it.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Scruffpuff posted:

See also, Hideo Kojima's true to life bucket of procedurally generated ice that melts realistically in MGS2.

fake edit: They removed it because it was a) stupid, b) never noticed, and c) it took up crazy resources for a PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Pgabz use one of these songs for your vids next, they're thematically relevant to star citizen.

Up on the ladder- Radiohead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-fk8Q-oRc

wind up space - John frusciante
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXO_I5Ef8c

john frusciante the first season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8fVseBCxRc

the loop- Morrissey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDtT5eNYzpU

why don't you find out for yourself - Morrissey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvy2uu2BV0

crazy horses- The osmonds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2WJt6Cpwus