Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

odiv posted:

Well sure, but having it happen just whenever would be worse.

... Wait, I mean, source your quote? :P

I mean, they could make changes to the banlist at times other than a week from a major Modern tournament. The positioning of the banlist update and PT Modern shows that not wanting to mess up anyone's decks shortly before a tournament isn't the real issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/706629261717872640

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dr. Stab posted:

The idea with syncing releases and B&R list updates is that you want to minimize frustration.

If a set comes out and you have to make a new deck based on the cards in that set, and then also a couple weeks later you have to go out and make another new deck because of the B&R changes, that's pretty frustrating.

I wonder how many people find that more frustrating than months of a hosed up format. 99% of the time there should be no changes right? If they do need to make a change thst should indicate a problem exists like now, that people would like to be resolved.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I do find it increasingly bizarre how there is this really stalwart defense for an obviously busted deck after the goofy rear end banning of Splinter Twin.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

I do find it increasingly bizarre how there is this really stalwart defense for an obviously busted deck after the goofy rear end banning of Splinter Twin.

Forsythe is pretty obviously joking there after Eldrazi won 2/3 GPs and made up 5/6 of the finalists. He all but directly said in the interview he did on coverage that something from the Eldrazi deck is getting banned next month.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

rabidsquid posted:

Well you see, Eldrazi isn't a problem because it's expensive, so not everyone is able to play it. Some people are willing to spend more money and win, but other people spend less money and lose. This is good for the format because

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well you see, Eldrazi isn't a problem because it's expensive, so not everyone is able to play it. Some people are willing to spend more money and win, but other people spend less money and lose. This is good for the format because

Because finally those filthy poors and their burn decks can't win!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Splinter Twin was banned at a normal time, just like Eldrazi will be.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I do wonder if the format would have been so quickly cracked if there hadn't been a Modern pro tour. It's easy in hindsight to say it's the obvious best deck, but not even all the pro teams figured out how good it was at first. Most people were still messing around the processor version which was not nearly as good.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Entropic posted:

I do wonder if the format would have been so quickly cracked if there hadn't been a Modern pro tour. It's easy in hindsight to say it's the obvious best deck, but not even all the pro teams figured out how good it was at first.

Necessity leads innovation.

It would have been found slower, I think, if there wasn't a PT for it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Splinter Twin was banned at a normal time, just like Eldrazi will be.

Also, Twin got banned only after like a bazillion seasons of play.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is it even possible for a top tier deck to be inexpensive? Most of the Eldrazi cards (Eye of Ugin, Eldrazi Temple, Urborg, Reality Smasher, Thought-Knot) were pretty cheap until the deck broke out. If a deck is that good, people will flock to it and buy a ton of the necessary cards, driving the price up. A good deck would have to be made up mostly of recently printed commons/uncommons to be inexpensive, which is obviously not going to happen in Modern.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In related GP news, my friend's FB feed had a picture of Adrian Sullivan's deck from GP Detroit and it looks pretty cool if hella slow-

4 Path to Exile
3 Dismember
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
3 Terminus
4 Damnation
4 Coalition Relic
2 Karn Liberated
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Chandra, Flamecaller
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
2 Gideon Jura
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
3 Ghost Quarter
1 Kher Keep
2 Godless Shrine
1 Blood Crypt
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Marsh Flats
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Molten Slagheap
4 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lets Pickle posted:

Is it even possible for a top tier deck to be inexpensive? Most of the Eldrazi cards (Eye of Ugin, Eldrazi Temple, Urborg, Reality Smasher, Thought-Knot) were pretty cheap until the deck broke out. If a deck is that good, people will flock to it and buy a ton of the necessary cards, driving the price up. A good deck would have to be made up mostly of recently printed commons/uncommons to be inexpensive, which is obviously not going to happen in Modern.

Someone a page ago was saying Eldrazi wasn't really a problem because most people couldn't afford to buy into it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

In related GP news, my friend's FB feed had a picture of Adrian Sullivan's deck from GP Detroit and it looks pretty cool if hella slow-

4 Path to Exile
3 Dismember
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
3 Terminus
4 Damnation
4 Coalition Relic
2 Karn Liberated
3 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Gideon Jura
1 Crucible of Worlds
3 Ghost Quarter
1 Kher Keep
2 Godless Shrine
1 Blood Crypt
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Marsh Flats
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Molten Slagheap
4 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain

That almost looks more like a Cube Draft deck than a constructed deck, if you took out all the duplicates.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Are you really going to miracle Terminus reliably enough that you'd not rather have Hallowed Burial?

I mean it's Adrian Sullivan and I'm, uh, not Adrian Sullivan, so I probably shouldn't talk.

Deck looks rad otherwise though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: Timing you out in Rich Shay's stream btw.

That is *not* gas

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

4 Path to Exile
3 Dismember
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
3 Terminus
4 Damnation
4 Coalition Relic
2 Karn Liberated
3 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Gideon Jura
1 Crucible of Worlds
3 Ghost Quarter
1 Kher Keep
2 Godless Shrine
1 Blood Crypt
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Marsh Flats
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Molten Slagheap
4 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain

How does this thing not get run over and die horribly to any halfway decent draw (to say nothing of Eldrazi/affinity nut draws)?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e:^^ 7 point removal, 7 wraths, and 6 discard that functionally act as point removal in the early game is how it doesn't die to decks dumping their hand quickly. 4 Damnations in the deck fill that gap between Path to Exile and terminus.

The UW Control I mentioned earlier (from memory, might have some numbers slightly off)

4 Wall of Omens
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Restoration Angel
1 Tamiyo

4 Remand
4 Cryptic Command
3 Mana Leak
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Path to Exile
2 Feeling of Dread
4 Serum Visions

4 Celestial Colonade
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Calciform Pools
3 Hallowed Fountain
4 UW Fetch
7 Islands
3 Plains (I think this is the mix)

Has yet to 5-0 a modern league but has been showing some pretty favorable results overall.

Feeling of Dread is legit amazing in this deck since the meta is so critter-based.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dragon enthusiast posted:

Also, Twin got banned only after like a bazillion seasons of play.

His point though was that Twin wasn't some ridiculous metagame-slayer by any means. And immediately after its ban comes Eldrazi Aggro and the devs are trying to say it's not that bad even though it's dominating all tournaments, far more than Twin ever did anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
e: double post...?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 7, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

His point though was that Twin wasn't some ridiculous metagame-slayer by any means. And immediately after its ban comes Eldrazi Aggro and the devs are trying to say it's not that bad even though it's dominating all tournaments, far more than Twin ever did anyway.

Where are they saying it's not that bad? They've basically said that yes it is bad and a ban of some sort is coming with SOI. What more do people want? An emergency ban?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

They've pretty much said it's getting a ban to neuter the deck? Nobody is saying it's not that bad unless you are perhaps illiterate?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Real talk: I've been across several areas and I haven't played against eldrazi once.

Unrelated note: I have intentionally avoided playing modern since the PT.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
No one is playing eldrazi at our local weekly events. I think it's mostly because people are expecting a ban so they aren't buying into the deck and there's not much point unless you're trying to win a GP. Even the better players around here are just playing other would-be tier 1 decks and waiting for Eldrazi winter to pass.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Where are they saying it's not that bad? They've basically said that yes it is bad and a ban of some sort is coming with SOI. What more do people want? An emergency ban?

Isn't that what people were saying Foresythe said? It's not hard to take that *literally* unbeatable tweet at face value.

Everything about the post-OGW metagame is a comedy of errors anyway.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The tweet came after he said straight up on stream they were banning something in Eldrazi but it wasn't 100% determined what it was. It was clearly not serious.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the emphasis on "literally" makes that quite obvious.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Isn't that what people were saying Foresythe said? It's not hard to take that *literally* unbeatable tweet at face value.

Everything about the post-OGW metagame is a comedy of errors anyway.

Alaan posted:

The tweet came after he said straight up on stream they were banning something in Eldrazi but it wasn't 100% determined what it was. It was clearly not serious.

Yeah, he basically said "We were definitely worried after the pro tour, we were watching closely to see if the format sorted itself out, it's now definitely broken, and we're looking at our options for the B&R announcement when the next set comes out."

I really don't know what more people want from them other than an emergency ban (and c'mon, it's not THAT bad) or to go back in time and not print cards that break modern in the first place.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Sigma-X posted:

e:^^ 7 point removal, 7 wraths, and 6 discard that functionally act as point removal in the early game is how it doesn't die to decks dumping their hand quickly. 4 Damnations in the deck fill that gap between Path to Exile and terminus.

The UW Control I mentioned earlier (from memory, might have some numbers slightly off)

4 Wall of Omens
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Restoration Angel
1 Tamiyo

4 Remand
4 Cryptic Command
3 Mana Leak
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Path to Exile
2 Feeling of Dread
4 Serum Visions

4 Celestial Colonade
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Calciform Pools
3 Hallowed Fountain
4 UW Fetch
7 Islands
3 Plains (I think this is the mix)

Has yet to 5-0 a modern league but has been showing some pretty favorable results overall.

Feeling of Dread is legit amazing in this deck since the meta is so critter-based.

Some guy has been streaming a different UW list with flipjaces, ojutai's command, sphinx's rev, and elspeth sun's champion as a wincon. I've only seen a few matches but it looked pretty solid. Ojutai's Command is actually quite good in a creature-heavy meta and your reanimation targets include Snapcaster, Wall of Omens, and flipjace.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

Some guy has been streaming a different UW list with flipjaces, ojutai's command, sphinx's rev, and elspeth sun's champion as a wincon. I've only seen a few matches but it looked pretty solid. Ojutai's Command is actually quite good in a creature-heavy meta and your reanimation targets include Snapcaster, Wall of Omens, and flipjace.

Oh, we've got 2 Sphinx Rev in the deck and fewer lands I think.

Ojutai's command seems interesting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I strongly feel that at the moment the Sorin Markov/Hidetsugu's Second Rite combo deck is the best control shell in Modern.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Tibalt builds only

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

rabidsquid posted:

I strongly feel that at the moment the Sorin Markov/Hidetsugu's Second Rite combo deck is the best control shell in Modern.

I mean that may be true now but it loses hard to Signal the Rats and it's only a matter of time before that takes over the meta.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I mean that may be true now but it loses hard to Signal the Rats and it's only a matter of time before that takes over the meta.

The total rat density (TRD) of Signal the Rats is well beyond that of any other deck in modern, or, hell, legacy.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

I've just joined a sealed league for the first time and this is the pool wizards decided to hand me.

So far I've started by putting blue to the side since it is very shallow, white has allies but nothing special. Black has alot of removal so that seems to be my starting point, especially combined with the early drops and the bomb. Red has 0 maindeck removal (maybe assault) and creatures without synergy. Green has 2 very good cards in World Breaker and Judgement and some good other stuff going on. Colourless is meh but mana fixing is awesome.

I feel there is some ally synergy in W/R but the colours lack any sort of punch or really good allies to put the game away I think. This combination gives me 17 playable cards before I have to start putting in creature enchantments which I hate to do. If I add black I get the vampire and some spot removal with a bomb. The colourless lands need to come in for fixing at this point. Green has good cards but nothing adds to the synergy of the deck at that point.
If I go base B/Gx I end up with 7 pieces of removal (2 "sweepers") and 3 pieces of ramp (lantern, druid, crawler). My top end would consist of 2 pathfinders, world breaker, hulk and defiler.

I feels like a weird pool but I think there should be something good/playabe I can make out of this.

edit:
I'm trying out this...

Reasoning behind it is that the Mind Raker probably won't trigger that much making it a vanilla hill giant and having two -2/-2 effects might be one to much. So I've decided to add all the duals and Exert Influence to see where this takes me.

lockdar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 7, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I forgot to mention, but I was linked to something on the Wizards SoI site that exposed some assets early, which showed a couple of pieces of new art. One was clearly Olivia, wearing armour, and another vampire looking dude who I thought looked kind of interesting, sort of priestly getup, there was some teal in his color-scheme. That thing with the 5 gems linked to 5 vampire families, one unknown, has a teal gem for the unknown. Now, I have a huge boner for BW vampires, but it does seem like a fit. Or it may be nothing at all. Anyway, new Olivia I think, I'll see if I can get to the art again.Did think it possible they would reprint maybe her and Thalia, since they see some Modern play and seem to be participants in the story again (maybe more than last time actually)

Oh, has anyone been depicted in legendary creature cards more than Avacyn's three now? Planeswalkers have appeared more but I think that's a record for creatures.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I hope that they also give the new Olivia an invisible boner in the art.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Offhand the most I can think of is jeska/phage/karona which is a 2.5 I think

Edit: Crovax straight up has three cards

Alaan fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bonus posted:

I hope that they also give the new Olivia an invisible boner in the art.

Found it:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/investigatethemanor

No such luck, but she does look pretty cool. The other guy does have the sort of colors they use to denote BW, right?

• Locked thread