Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I didn't even know what an MN12 was until I looked it up. I'm pretty sure we have none here either, but it's because they all rusted to pieces and blew away a decade ago, rather than them all being on the road still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The bling aisle of your local auto parts store has all the letters and numbers :v:

I think the gate opens at 8. If I aim for 6-7, I might make it there for 8... doesn't matter what order the yards are in as far as I'm concerned, you wanna start closer and end up further from home or vise versa?

If we're vortec-shopping, then starting closer to you might be best. Text me tonight.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Eagerly awaiting the results of The Ken & Sharky Show. :allears:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
If it doesn't snow 2 feet on Friday, I might drive down, too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Initial reports from Ken:

kastein posted:

sams is a bust, just a billion clapped out molested lr4s and 2 or 3 water damaged molested lm7s. hitting the other yards shortly though you're probably busy

:(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Allegedly sams is crushing some of their 6 month old turboraped hosed pillaged scrapheaps shortly and putting some fresh meat out in their place, so I will check the stock on like, wednesday morning.

Trip report: got a late start. sams was a wasteland as noted.

Johnston:
second row of truck section
95-501-123 lm7 4x4 cable auto missing a few things and trans pan punched
95-501-53 5.3 (unknown RPO since glovebox was missing, but bet on lm7) 4x4 cable auto complete less a few vac lines

Sixth row (row 60)
95-r11-238 lq4!!! 4x4 cable auto partially pillaged but fixable (tb, hoses, ecu, stat, coil wires, fpr?, egr, harness a bit hosed), pan punched

A counter guy there I BS with about offroading and yota/jeep poo poo told me however that there are 3 6.0 donors at Cumberland, so I went there.

Walked the yard... found em. Sadly they all look like this:

Some expeditions and F series trucks were similarly stripped, frames cut and bent down. This is probably the work of another junkyard pro who showed up at gate opening time on half-off day a few weeks ago (when it was bitterly cold and I valued my fingers and ears more than a 50% off price on an engine) and dropped a grand on known high value drivelines to flip on craigslist.

Given that, I think the best option is (unless something nice shows up at sams this week) to either:
Grab an LM7 from johnston, deal with only 5.3 liters of cheap vortec instead of 6
Pillage parts off the half dozen stripped LR4s and stripped or partially stripped LM7s, use them to reassemble the LQ4 and buy it. The poo poo that is missing is probably either things that are the same (vac hoses and crap), stuff that can be deleted with a tune (EGR), service parts, or the ECU, which I think an LM7 ECU can be retuned to fit an LQ4 anyways, and it will need tuning for the cam regardless.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I'm leaning towards LM7 rather than trying to cobble the LQ4 back together, just because the option with the least fuckery required would be preferred. Ultimately your call though; if you think you can assemble a functional LQ4 by all means go ahead. It's the lack of ECU that concerns me most; while they're all the same and should be programmable, it'd be nice to not have to gently caress around with ECU remapping just to get the thing started.

I'd be inclined at this point to wait and see if sams's gets some new poo poo as you said they are supposedly doing, which'd be nice. Still, options! We like options.

E: Some research suggests an LM7 ECU with stock tune will start and idle an LQ4 - it won't be happy, but it'll run. Alright, LQ4 is go :D

I'd still prefer a 2WD donor if possible but since literally none of them are 2WD I'll take what I can get :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 28, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah there are pretty slim pickings when it comes to 2wd trucks here. It's like 5% of the ones I see in the yard, and most of them are 4.8L LR4 stripper model 1500s.

At least there is a slim chance... if you are looking for 2wd jeep parts donors it is more like 99.9% 4wd. MJs are more like 25-50% 2wd, but that is all included in that tenth of a percent because there are no MJs :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

_______________________/
FEEEEEED MEEEEEEEE

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

_______________________/
FEEEEEED MEEEEEEEE

It's so light in the front the tires look like they have positive camber.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

kastein posted:

I didn't even know what an MN12 was until I looked it up. I'm pretty sure we have none here either, but it's because they all rusted to pieces and blew away a decade ago, rather than them all being on the road still.

I'm one of the two-dozen folks who still like the T-Bird/Cougar platform.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm one of the two-dozen folks who still like the T-Bird/Cougar platform.

I have a foxbody tbird, do I count?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm available on Saturday, if anyone wants to go jy'ing.

:edit: Not available Sunday anymore... gotta get to WV earlier than Monday morning at 0200.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 5, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think Chris and Dan are planning Saturday since all the pancake motors I told them about are at a saturday-only yard, but I'm down. Let's get this motor pulled and checked off so things can proceed a bit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Further South, TerribleRobot and I are planning on pulling the old motor/trans this weekend.

BURST FORTH FROM THE WINTER INTO PRODUCTIVE SPRING

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Someone text me Friday night to remind me and Ill come help too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm actually heading to WV on Sunday morning, but I was planning on bringing the Fit. Hmmmmm.

:edit: Time change.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 5, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Yes!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
At least someone had a productive weekend... I saw the snaps, awesome! Did you happen to measure how high the hoist goes with the engine and transmission attached, so we can figure out if it'll pick the new one out of my truck?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sharkytm posted:

At least someone had a productive weekend... I saw the snaps, awesome! Did you happen to measure how high the hoist goes with the engine and transmission attached, so we can figure out if it'll pick the new one out of my truck?

If it doesn't, just put cinderblocks under the front wheels of the hoist. Once the engine is in the air, drive the truck out from under it very slowly.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Put the engine hoist in the back of the Comanche.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Put the engine hoist in the back of the Comanche.

This is honestly an option. I think the Commanche tailgate will slide under mine, the height difference is so great.

daslog posted:

If it doesn't, just put cinderblocks under the front wheels of the hoist. Once the engine is in the air, drive the truck out from under it very slowly.
The host already has a bent leg, and it's one of the folding ones, so more of the load would be on the pin, but it might work.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

This is honestly an option. I think the Commanche tailgate will slide under mine, the height difference is so great.

That sweet, sweet pickup truck docking.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Stupid question. Would the trans behind an LR4 4.8 be the same 4L60e as the one behind an LM7? I really don't want to work on two junkyard cars for one project but that 2wd 1500 4.8 had a probably good trans and the 4wd trans on the LM7 donor was all torn apart.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

We could always take the BMW off the lift, then use it as a hoist. You just have to promise you'll help me get the BMW back on the lift afterwards :sun:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure if my truck will fit through the garage door. I'll measure it this week. It barely fits through my garage door, and I think it's an 8'er.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah my garage door is 7'.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

Stupid question. Would the trans behind an LR4 4.8 be the same 4L60e as the one behind an LM7? I really don't want to work on two junkyard cars for one project but that 2wd 1500 4.8 had a probably good trans and the 4wd trans on the LM7 donor was all torn apart.

I wanna say yes? Pretty sure transmissions were the same across the board until you get to the HD models with the 4L80.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
It takes all of 10 seconds to take the tailgate off the MJ and probably the same for yours, so clearance there wont be an issue. I can be a middleman for the engine if you dont want to/have time to take it all the way to RVA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

yesssss its catching onnnnn

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
This thread is really making me miss my old Vandura. Drove it to Bonnaroo one year so if you are at all considering dropping a twin bed in the back: this is what that looks like. Click for 2x

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

They are the same block, just a different bore or stroke, so it should be the same trans behind them.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Micromancer posted:

This thread is really making me miss my old Vandura. Drove it to Bonnaroo one year so if you are at all considering dropping a twin bed in the back: this is what that looks like. Click for 2x

Not enough guns and thongs.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Cut my hair for my job a couple months ago, and my last remaining thong which was almost 20 years old has disappeared. I fear those days may be over.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

They are the same block, just a different bore or stroke, so it should be the same trans behind them.

I know very little about the GM transmission lineup... all I know is the 4L60e, 4L80e, and 6L80e existed and no idea what changed year-over-year / what came behind what motor in what truck/van. Would they really use the same transmission behind a 4.8 and 5.3 even given the different stock power levels? The LM7 engine donor is probably a '01 Tahoe with barn doors, the transmission donor is likely a 2wd LR4 powered 1500 but I don't remember what year. I was a dumbass and didn't check.

Speaking of which, what are the year-over-year sensor and connector changes on those transmissions in the period that LM7s and LR4s were used? Will it just plug in and work, or did they switch input/output speed sensor reluctor wheel tooth counts at some point, like jeep did on some stuff? I'm used to working with way more info than I have on GM transmissions, since I figured we'd be grabbing the whole powertrain from a single vehicle, but no such vehicle has appeared yet.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Since I was at work, I asked the boss and so long as its pre 05, it should work. In 05 the pins and internals change due to it going to the 4l65/4l70. She does recommend getting the pcm with the engine, but it can be pulled wuth the tranny and flashed. She generally knows anything needed about domestic transmissions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Interesting - thanks a ton. I was just told by LaF (he's on IRC and doing research on this) that the LR4 was only introduced in 99, and this yard rarely gets GM donors newer than 04-05 or so since they go to the premium fullservice yard across the street, so basically it sounds like it'll probably work. I thought GM vehicles of this era used an ECU/TCU pair, not a PCM running both, though?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

iForge posted:

It takes all of 10 seconds to take the tailgate off the MJ and probably the same for yours, so clearance there wont be an issue. I can be a middleman for the engine if you dont want to/have time to take it all the way to RVA

Mine is complicated by the camera wiring, but yeah, it shouldn't take long. I'll keep you in mind, but you're almost as far out of my way as Richmond... We'll have to see how things play out. I'm all for visiting my mom again soon, so that's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
4L60Es from 1999-2006? (I think, the output speed sensor changed in the later year) that came behind a V8 should interchange. Of note, the 2wd trans is longer than the 4wd, and the V6 transmissions have fewer frictions and steels than the V8s do. As far as the separate controller goes, I think only the HD trucks used them. I haven't messed with a 4L60 that new.

Prior to 1999 it gets tricky. The bell housing bolt pattern will be different than the LS pattern for starters. 93-94 should be the same, there won't be a range selector switch on the drivers side that the later ones have. 1995 is a changeover year, there's going to be a range selector switch but something in the valve body prevents it from being used with any other year without modification. I think in 97 they went to a bolt on bell housing and a different style torque converter, but other than that, they should interchange between 96-98.

• Locked thread