Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the guy who was working on FFTA Grim Grimoire released his "not actually final but done until some major breakthroughs happen in the hacking scene" version of his FFTA2 Grim Grimoire hack. It changes quite a bit of stuff, replacing lots of classes with some more interesting ones and making the races more unique as well as buffing/balancing/tweaking other stuff (ie the black mage spells have unique AoE patterns instead of just being identical).

the change log is unfortunately not at all up to date but you can search the thread for the OP's posts to find everything: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9514.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Terra's Esper form was kind of a magical-based Berserk status, wasn't it? I recall that you couldn't always control it reliably. Even if not, that's still an idea for a class; same concept as a Berserker, but just firing off spells until all MP is gone, and sometimes does friendly fire damage.

That was Rinoa's second Limit in FFVIII. No MP and no spell usage obviously but saem basic idea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

So according to traditional FF Jobs, FFXIII's characters would probably be
Hope is a White Mage
Sazh is a Red Mage
Vanille is a Black Mage
Fang is a Dragoon

But what would Snow and Lightning be?

Sorry, I just always found it interesting that, while XIII is more limiting than say FFVII or X, all the games still have stats built to a certain extent that it's clear what the characters were intended for. Like, you can make Yuna do 99999 damage with her little staff but that's plainly not what she was designed to be doing.

I'd probably have Lightning lean towards Red Mage - she uses swords and both offensive and healing magic but isn't the best at any of her roles (but still good enough to fill a variety of roles). Sazh would be a Gunner or Green Mage. Definitely not a Red Mage since he can't heal without going into the Crystarium.

I'd probably say Hope's closer to Black and Vanille's closer to White; Hope gets all the Ravager spells, and Vanille learns Curaja earlier and is the only character that has to heal herself when her Eidolon is out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd probably have Lightning lean towards Red Mage - she uses swords and both offensive and healing magic but isn't the best at any of her roles (but still good enough to fill a variety of roles). Sazh would be a Gunner or Green Mage. Definitely not a Red Mage since he can't heal without going into the Crystarium.

I'd probably say Hope's closer to Black and Vanille's closer to White; Hope gets all the Ravager spells, and Vanille learns Curaja earlier and is the only character that has to heal herself when her Eidolon is out.

Both Hope and Vanille are built to be all-round casters but Hope is about buffs while Vanille is about debuffs. Her unique skill is Death after all and that is a Black Magic spell in FFX and I think FFIX.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ffxiii: everyone is a red mage

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Red Suit posted:

Ffxiii: everyone is a red mage

also VI, VII, VIII, X....

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Only if you go out of your way to do that. There is no way you can argue Yuna is supposed to be anything but a Summoner an White Mage. Her physical attack is literally designed to look and sound weak and pathetic.

Also Hope is an absolute poo poo Sentinel so that doesn't work either.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 7, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Any starter tips for Final Fantasy Type-0? I played it a bit in Japanese but I couldn't read it through all the military jargon so I'm pretty excited to be playing it in English and with a real controller finally. My main questions are:
1. Is there any reason I should try to keep all the characters leveled up evenly, or should I just pick the ones whose fighting styles I like and stick with them through the whole game?
2. Should I stress about time management too much? Will I miss stuff if I waste time early on doing stuff like talking to moogles?

Other than that if anyone has any 'doing this will make your life so much easier' tips I'd love to hear them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While you don't need to level everyone you should keep enough people for two separate groups levelled, just in case...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Getsuya posted:

1. Is there any reason I should try to keep all the characters leveled up evenly, or should I just pick the ones whose fighting styles I like and stick with them through the whole game?

Yes to both. Try to balance both or you'll have a bad time either way.

Getsuya posted:

2. Should I stress about time management too much? Will I miss stuff if I waste time early on doing stuff like talking to moogles?

No. Yes.

The game hopes you'll replay it again so anything you miss, you'll get on another run.

More tips: Thunder magic rules for most bosses, always have a healer and a long range character. When you see characters name in yellow when picking missions, pick those characters first.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

oh my god who cares

What if Disney Princesses were Final Fantasy Classes??!?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I am rattled and panicked at the thought of people discussing Final Fantasy characters in the Final Fantasy thread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who has a cooler gunblade Lightning or Squall

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

Seifer.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lightning. It's actually a gun and it folds and poo poo.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

oh my god who cares

You're right, it's a known fact that only the most important and serious discussions are allowed in the Final Fantasy thread.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

Aya cause it was a shotty

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh my god who cares

I do!

(not really though)

Getsuya posted:

Any starter tips for Final Fantasy Type-0? I played it a bit in Japanese but I couldn't read it through all the military jargon so I'm pretty excited to be playing it in English and with a real controller finally. My main questions are:

Other than that if anyone has any 'doing this will make your life so much easier' tips I'd love to hear them.

Every time you have time off talk to the classroom moogle before anything else, his lectures give you lots of free stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is the correct answer I frickin' love the Hyperion.

Even the way Seifer holds it looks better than the way Squall or Lightning hold theirs. Or, well, the way Laguna held it and Seifer mimicked.

Seifer should have been in a better game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kingdom Hearts 2 was pretty fun. The plot needs some work tho.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

This is the correct answer I frickin' love the Hyperion.

Even the way Seifer holds it looks better than the way Squall or Lightning hold theirs. Or, well, the way Laguna held it and Seifer mimicked.

Seifer should have been in a better game.

Seifer holds that thing like he's a crip from East L.A.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TommyGun85 posted:

Seifer holds that thing like he's a crip from East L.A.

Seifer wouldn't last 5 minutes before he starts some poo poo and gets killed. Probably half that time in Final Fantasy East L.A.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The GIG posted:

Seifer wouldn't last 5 minutes before he starts some poo poo and gets killed. Probably half that time in Final Fantasy East L.A.

Seifer stormed the building where the president of a military dictatorship superpower was giving an address, kicking the poo poo out of all the guards along the way. Squall and the others had dismissed storming the place as a possibility due to the plethora of guards.

Ergo, Seifer alone is worth Squall's entire party and I think any FF party can handle street punks given FF parties typically fight guys who can destroy the world.

Also Seifer sliced Odin in half, dodging the latter's Zantetsuken. That was such a WTF moment back in the day. I would assume Odin is a little above the paygrade of the Crips, too.

I also always found it funny that when Squall fights Odin, Odin doesn't even do anything. But if you run out of time, you die to Zantetsuken...the move Seifer can counter.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 7, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Lmao if you think they wouldn't just wait for a cutscene to blast him. Also if think there isn't a JRPG party waiting to happen in a poor neighborhood made up of people afraid of abusive authority.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Squall's, definitely

Though the Hyperion is cool too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

I will never stop being mad at how much they wasted Setzer in that game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

"Less work" is probably more accurate. It's hard to imagine a plot more over-written than KH's.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Augus posted:

I will never stop being mad at how much they wasted Setzer in that game

Things KH2 Setzer did not do: "Say my life is a chip in your pile" "Be cool" "Be a good guy" "Be not lovely"

NikkolasKing posted:

Seifer stormed the building where the president of a military dictatorship superpower was giving an address, kicking the poo poo out of all the guards along the way. Squall and the others had dismissed storming the place as a possibility due to the plethora of guards.

Ergo, Seifer alone is worth Squall's entire party and I think any FF party can handle street punks given FF parties typically fight guys who can destroy the world.

Also Seifer sliced Odin in half, dodging the latter's Zantetsuken. That was such a WTF moment back in the day. I would assume Odin is a little above the paygrade of the Crips, too.

I also always found it funny that when Squall fights Odin, Odin doesn't even do anything. But if you run out of time, you die to Zantetsuken...the move Seifer can counter.

Yo you're underestimating the power of the west siiiiyeeeeed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Things KH2 Setzer did not do: "Say my life is a chip in your pile"

He actually does say that, out of context as a battle quote.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's lame.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I just bought a new day one version of Type 0 for PS4, though it didn't come with a case and code for the FF15 demo. I called up EBGames on the phone and was sent a game code that apparently unlocks it, but I have no idea where to put it in, anybody want to help my dumb rear end?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Redeem Code in the PS Store.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

Redeem Code in the PS Store.

That's what I thought, but the code I was sent was formatted such as: NENSJG-548-GJDKIS-642, which is too long to input, given the PS Code says it should be 12 characters long.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I just want Final Fantasy 15 to come out already. Like, something other than radio silence would be great.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gologle posted:

I just want Final Fantasy 15 to come out already. Like, something other than radio silence would be great.

? They've been giving updates at least every other month or so.

e: There's also going to be info at an SE event at the end of the month.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Freak posted:

Well obviously Belle is a Beastmaster.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saint Freak posted:

they're all freeloaders, which is like freelancers except they can't equip class skills

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

they're all freeloaders, which is like freelancers except they can't equip class skills

Whoa, not all of them.

Mulan = Knight
Princess Leia = Machinist
Esmerelda = Dancer

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Barudak posted:

Whoa, not all of them.

Mulan = Knight
Esmerelda = Dancer

Merida = Archer obv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Whoa, not all of them.

Mulan = Knight
Esmerelda = Dancer

Oh that's true and I hadn't even considered that Leia is part of their pantheon now.

judy hopps = ramza-type squire :furcry: