Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince Reibus is the Scout, nervously spamming NEED A DISPENSER HERE over and over again at the Republican base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Perfectly Safe posted:

There's an interesting write-up of the meeting that came out of the whole campaign suspension fiasco here. This obviously wasn't McCain's only impulsive decision of 2008, but I think it's my favourite just because the story that emerged was so demonstrative of the quality of the candidates.

Obamas such an rear end in a top hat

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Prince Reibus is the Scout, nervously spamming NEED A DISPENSER HERE over and over again at the Republican base.

Trump responds by spamming "NO, PUT DISPENSER HERE!". *points to trash*

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I am really curious about Misspuri. It's kinda part of the Ted Cruz dominionism firewall, but it's also part of the southeastern Trump firewall and close enough to Ohio that Kasich could come in third.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pillowpants posted:

I am really curious about Misspuri. It's kinda part of the Ted Cruz dominionism firewall, but it's also part of the southeastern Trump firewall and close enough to Ohio that Kasich could come in third.

Solution: burn the whole loving state and salt the earth.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Perfectly Safe posted:

There's an interesting write-up of the meeting that came out of the whole campaign suspension fiasco here. This obviously wasn't McCain's only impulsive decision of 2008, but I think it's my favourite just because the story that emerged was so demonstrative of the quality of the candidates.

some book (game change?) mentioned that dubya also trashed mccain for wasting everyones time and then not knowing what the hell was going on when everyone finally met

it was just real bad for mccain overall

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When I made the joke about everyone suspending their campaign because of Nancy Reagan's death I was more making allusions to the absurd worship of the Reagan family, rather than McCain 08, but hey this is funny too.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Il Federale posted:

some book (game change?) mentioned that dubya also trashed mccain for wasting everyones time and then not knowing what the hell was going on when everyone finally met

it was just real bad for mccain overall

You know you're having a lovely day when you can be legitimately criticised by George W. Bush. McCain just seemed completely unable to think more than one move ahead at a time, or to follow ideas to their logical conclusions. He must be hilarious to play at chess.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

When I made the joke about everyone suspending their campaign because of Nancy Reagan's death I was more making allusions to the absurd worship of the Reagan family, rather than McCain 08, but hey this is funny too.

See, that's the sort of thing that McCain would do.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0-Tjnp3iX0

Marco Rubio chillwave

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/706808780600844288
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/706812638215303168

:laugh:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Now nasty! is the best Trump tweet fragment yet.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/politicalwire/status/706829094164566016

A new Fox 2 Detroit/Mitchell Research poll in Michigan finds Donald Trump leading the GOP presidential race with 42%, followed by John Kasich at 20%, Ted Cruz at 19% and Marco Rubio at 9%.

KASICHMENTUM.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/706827555622547456

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/706829345143316480

I will be using Facebook and Twitter

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Better get in on the ground-floor of #whatwouldhitlertweet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We must stop the :siren: REPUBLICAN ESTABLISHMENT :siren: before it's too late!

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Rubio must have been bribed handsomely to self destruct like that, enough money to spend the rest of his life in gay foam.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Instead of debate Kasich and Trump can sip bourbon in their study while talking about putting women back in their place.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Totalizator posted:

Rubio must have been bribed handsomely to self destruct like that, enough money to spend the rest of his life in gay foam.

His collapse is completely honest to his quality as a candidate. When Trump called him "little Marco" in the debate, and Rubio immediately shot back with "big Donal...", it was so authentic to his pathetic candidacy.

I want Trump to win the nomination, as he will make the general so entertaining. Also, on the chance Hillary hits a banana peel, a Trump presidency would at least be interesting. Second would be a Rubio nomination; seeing him getting spanked in the general would be great fun, and he would be a generic empty suit Republican presidency if he somehow won. Cruz would result in a dissatisfying, gross, general election, the only enjoyment being his actual loss, and merely having a possibility of him being president would be a terrifying reality to accept.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Totalizator posted:

I'm pretty sure his handlers just forgot to clean off a few connections or something pre-debate. Positron ice brains are finicky bastards.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Inoperable brain cancer

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's gonna turn out that he literally has no heart

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Some people think Cruz is worse for the GOP than Trump and that is objectively incorrect: Republican elites love Cruz and hate Trump and they deserve to suffer the most.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

It's gonna turn out that he literally has no heart

Any person who speaks at a kill the gays rally does not have a heart.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Some people think Cruz is worse for the GOP than Trump and that is objectively incorrect: Republican elites love Cruz and hate Trump and they deserve to suffer the most.

Republican elites absolutely loathe Cruz. They might vaguely prefer him to Trump but not by a lot, and a lot prefer Trump.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

evilweasel posted:

Republican elites absolutely loathe Cruz. They might vaguely prefer him to Trump but not by a lot, and a lot prefer Trump.

Source? My experience at CPAC says very differently.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

if herman cain came on stage to that music as a surprise vp choice i would mark the gently caress out

is all im sayin

sallmsayn

From pages back, but I'm amazed at the rumours that Cain's apparently being vetted to be Trump's VP. Can you even imagine?

"So Mr. Cain, first of all we need to make sure there's nothing in your past that could damage our campaign. Can you think of any skeletons in your closet? Any possible scandals we should know about?"

"NOPE"

"Great! We'll call soon."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Those aren't Republican elites. Those are the cattle. The cattle love Cruz, because his entire schtick is to create unwinnable situations for the party elites then blame them for being insufficiently conservative to get obamacare repealed. So the rank and file adore him as the only one standing up to the kenyan usurper, while the elites know that Cruz hosed them and their efforts to effectively gently caress over the kenyan usurper purely for his own self-interest.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I thought most of the GOP senators wouldn't mind seeing Ted stabbed to death. The far right base probably loves him, but they're mostly loving bonkers anyways.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

trump is a self-aggrandizing megalomaniac with no bedrock principles whatsoever; he'll lie extravagantly to get in office but will enact the most boring pro-business anti-labor agenda imaginable

Cruz is a psychotic True Believer who would nuke the government to prove a point

trump just wants to wear the captain's hat and doesn't have a destination in mind, Cruz wants to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

CPAC is more slanted toward lobbyists and activists. Actual elected Republicans and party officials who have real responsibility to keep Republicans viable candidates hate him because he throws grenades into any process which doesn't maintain absolute ideological purity.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Is there a specific reason why Trump is polling so well in Michigan? Is it because his anti-Muslim rhetoric plays well with white GOP voters in a state with significantly large Muslim communities?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

"I defeated the man," snarled Trump. "Why does he not submit to me?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I know he's dropped out, but at least Bobby Jindal can sit back knowing he did a good job in off-

Battered by drop in oil prices and Jindal’s fiscal policies, Louisiana falls into budget crisis

:stare:

quote:

Edwards, in a prime-time address on Feb. 11, said he’d learned of “devastating facts” about the extent of the state’s budget shortfall and said that Louisiana was plunging into a “historic fiscal crisis.” Despite all the cuts of the previous years, the nation’s second-poorest state still needed nearly $3 billion — almost $650 per person — just to maintain its regular services over the next 16 months.

. . .

Initially, Jindal had been able to cut taxes because Louisiana was buoyed by billions in federal money, an influx to help with the recovery from Hurricane Katrina, which struck in 2005. But as that money ran dry, Jindal said he would veto any bills that would push taxes back to where they had been. Instead, to plug budget gaps, Jindal relied not just on cuts but also on controversial, one-off fundraising methods. The state sold off assets, including parking lots and farmland. It cleaned out money from hundreds of trust funds — among them, one intended to build reefs for marine wildlife. It pieced together money from legal settlements.

. . .

The math is daunting: For the fiscal year that ends June 30, Louisiana is facing a $940 million deficit, roughly one-eighth of what the state typically doles out from its general fund in a year. For 2016-2017, which begins July 1, the gap is $2 billion.

“This was years of mismanagement by a governor who was more concerned about satisfying a national audience in a presidential race,” said Jay Dardenne (R), the lieutenant governor under Jindal and now the state’s commissioner of administration. Dardenne said Jindal had helped the state put off its day of reckoning in a way that mirrored a “Ponzi scheme.”

. . .

In Louisiana’s capital, on a university campus just seven miles north of the government offices, is perhaps the most acute evidence of the funding cutbacks — and the mounting concern about what will happen next. At Southern University and A&M College, a historically black institution along the Mississippi River, mold spreads across building walls, and rats scurry through dormitories. Eighteen buildings have roof leaks; in two, raw sewage occasionally belches onto the floor. An entire section of the library is off limits because of a perpetually broken fire alarm.

“One elevator has been broken since 2013,” said Taysia Marie, a junior nursing student. “I’ve never seen it working.”

:stonk:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Totalizator posted:

Ummmmm it's bi foam please check your sexuality binary privs

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Tesseraction posted:

I know he's dropped out, but at least Bobby Jindal can sit back knowing he did a good job in off-

Battered by drop in oil prices and Jindal’s fiscal policies, Louisiana falls into budget crisis

It sucks so bad that it is likely the dem governor can't get things turned around in just 4 years and its likely he'll get a lot of the blame for the aftereffects.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tesseraction posted:

It might be easier at this point to name the republican governers that haven't destroyed their states in the past few years

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

trump is a self-aggrandizing megalomaniac with no bedrock principles whatsoever; he'll lie extravagantly to get in office but will enact the most boring pro-business anti-labor agenda imaginable

Cruz is a psychotic True Believer who would nuke the government to prove a point

trump just wants to wear the captain's hat and doesn't have a destination in mind, Cruz wants to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat

I don't think Trump will actually enact the most pro business and anti labor agenda out there. In fact out of everyone running, only Sanders would be more pro working class. Clinton, Rubio, Cruz, Kasich would all be far worse.

I'd expect a Trump presidency to be the ultimate poll driven mess. Things that drive his ratings up with the masses, be it locking down the borders to reduce competition for jobs, increasing social security benefits, sticking it to the Chinese, water boarding people, berating hedge fund managers, will be done at regular intervals. Anything that doesn't poll well will be instantly abandoned and he'll pretend it never happened. Anybody who counters with "but that's a war crime" or "entitlement spending is out of hand" will be publically ridiculed and assaulted with "my poll numbers went up when I said it".

It will be a reality TV presidency with poll numbers as ratings and justification for everything he does.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mitt Romney posted:

It sucks so bad that it is likely the dem governor can't get things turned around in just 4 years and its likely he'll get a lot of the blame for the aftereffects.

Yeah reading through the amount of poo poo that Jindal hosed up I doubt 16 years of Democratic rule could truly fix it.

nachos posted:

It might be easier at this point to name the republican governers that haven't destroyed their states in the past few years

I see you added them to the end of your post.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

FistEnergy posted:

Is there a specific reason why Trump is polling so well in Michigan? Is it because his anti-Muslim rhetoric plays well with white GOP voters in a state with significantly large Muslim communities?

It's the rust belt and his positions on trade are the most progressive of any candidate including the democrats.

Like do you not hear him repeatedly talking about protectionism and tarriffs and ending the free trade agreements that are decimating American manufacturing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Being skeptical of free trade is probably really popular in Michigan, Sanders is also doing pretty well there

• Locked thread