Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait, so it's bad for the law to take into account medical or scientific entities because they are political and politicized...but lawyers and politicians aren't? Or am I entirely misreading your statement there?

You shouldn't take an organization's word at face value just because they represent experts in a field, because the interests of that organization don't necessarily coincide with the individual expert's opinion or the welfare of society in general.

For example, Obamacare harms the money making opportunities of doctors, so a doctor's organization might lobby to overturn it, even though (for society) it is objectively an improvement on the previous system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That makes significantly more sense than my reading, thanks.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Mors Rattus posted:

That makes significantly more sense than my reading, thanks.

As a good example, the AMA has had some problematic effects on the development of health care in this country. Institutional groups also tend to favor their older and more established members. That doesn't mean they don't have valuable contributions to the discussion, but with a view to their bias. I like groups like the ACLU because their bias is in their charter, as it were.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Obdicut posted:

As a good example, the AMA has had some problematic effects on the development of health care in this country. Institutional groups also tend to favor their older and more established members. That doesn't mean they don't have valuable contributions to the discussion, but with a view to their bias. I like groups like the ACLU because their bias is in their charter, as it were.

Exactly. The AMA viciously lobbied against Medicare back in the day (quickly taking Reagan's side) and later fought to defeat Clinton's healthcare proposal. They also vocally supported the war on drugs in order to fight the devil weed so that they could put a stop to the marijuana overdoses that kill so many of our nation's children.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The best example to prove that you shouldn't just ask doctors what they think about medical-related policy is to look into what they think about medical malpractice liability.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

The best example to prove that you shouldn't just ask doctors what they think about medical-related policy is to look into what they think about medical malpractice liability.

When it comes to trusting a doctor's diagnosis they are all quite adamant that medicine is a science.

When they gently caress up suddenly medicine is an art that lesser beings just aren't equipped to judge.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
When I was in law school, my brother, who is a doctor, told me if a jury found against him in a medmal case he would find the jurors and shoot them. I'm not entirely sure he was joking.

He also told me if I went into medmal he'd break off contact with me. Should have done it he's a turbo rear end in a top hat would have been an easy out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xae posted:

When it comes to trusting a doctor's diagnosis they are all quite adamant that medicine is a science.

When they gently caress up suddenly medicine is an art that lesser beings just aren't equipped to judge.

Science includes failures and statistics. If a procedure has a 97% success rate you're getting sued for malpractice that 3% of the time. Or so doctors think anyways.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hell, my mother's a doctor and rants about poo poo like that frequently. But I handled juuuust enough birth injury cases where the doc really did screw the pooch to go "yeah, no, keep that sword of Damocles hanging over their heads".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xae posted:

I could write for pages on this- and am, for my dissertation. The science-medicine-art knowledge-skill-craft trifecta is a total mess.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
One of my favourite pop facts is that "evidence based medicine" is a subfield of medicine, and it was established in the late 1980s. Not to say the rest of medicine is entirely without evidence, but to quote a friend it usually seems more 'evidence-inspired' than evidence based.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

coffeetable posted:

One of my favourite pop facts is that "evidence based medicine" is a subfield of medicine, and it was established in the late 1980s. Not to say the rest of medicine is entirely without evidence, but to quote a friend it usually seems more 'evidence-inspired' than evidence based.

Evidence-based medicine is also a whole separate burning ball of toxic waste discussion in medicine. Seriously, be careful who you say it to- it's simultaneously much more and much less than what it sounds like.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Evidence-based medicine is also a whole separate burning ball of toxic waste discussion in medicine. Seriously, be careful who you say it to- it's simultaneously much more and much less than what it sounds like.

If I say this phrase around certain spell components could I accidentally summon an Old God?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Discendo Vox posted:

This is pretty much true only if you're talking to old fogies in medicine or charlatans; otherwise, there's problems with evidence-based medicine (under-researched minorities, for example) but it's the gold standard.

This is kind of a derail though.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

If I say this phrase around certain spell components could I accidentally summon an Old God?

:: sees magic floating in the air ::

Noooooooo....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

citybeatnik posted:

Hell, my mother's a doctor and rants about poo poo like that frequently. But I handled juuuust enough birth injury cases where the doc really did screw the pooch to go "yeah, no, keep that sword of Damocles hanging over their heads".

Medical malpractice insurance (which is in turn a thing because court cases) led directly to massive improvements in anesthesiology practice, and a significant reduction in the complication/death rate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Medical malpractice insurance (which is in turn a thing because court cases) led directly to massive improvements in anesthesiology practice, and a significant reduction in the complication/death rate.

JCO has also put a lot of effort into anesthesiology including intraoperative awareness so there's been a big emphasis on the field in the last 15-20 years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hobbesmaster posted:

JCO has also put a lot of effort into anesthesiology including intraoperative awareness so there's been a big emphasis on the field in the last 15-20 years.

JCO?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Joint Commission. They're the dudes that accredit hospitals.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This has been the most interesting and informative derail I've ever seen. I didn't know any of that very important medical poo poo.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This has been the most interesting and informative derail I've ever seen. I didn't know any of that very important medical poo poo.

I encourage you to find out more. Medical malpractice is really a fascinating subject. Controversial as poo poo though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

One thing that pisses a lot of doctors off is that if doctors a,b and c see a patient at a hospital and doctor c does something wrong doctors a, b and c as well as the hospital will be named in the lawsuit. If the hospital settles for a nuisance amount, the insurance premiums of doctors a and b are hit the same as Doctor c.

Doctors A and B now speak of the evils of lawyers to everyone that listens for good reason - they did nothing wrong after all. (Doctor c says the same poo poo because he's a Doctor too but actually deserved it)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

One thing that pisses a lot of doctors off is that if doctors a,b and c see a patient at a hospital and doctor c does something wrong doctors a, b and c as well as the hospital will be named in the lawsuit. If the hospital settles for a nuisance amount, the insurance premiums of doctors a and b are hit the same as Doctor c.

Doctors A and B now speak of the evils of lawyers to everyone that listens for good reason - they did nothing wrong after all. (Doctor c says the same poo poo because he's a Doctor too but actually deserved it)

That sounds like a reasonable response, but it kinda depends on the context. If you can easily differentiate what A, B, and C did, then yeah that sounds like a problem, and they should do a better job determining liability. If it's not easily determined who caused the problem (i.e., the Problem of Many Hands) then it's reasonable to penalize all of them, even if all of them insist their innocence.

Really though the solution in either case is probably removing individual liability and letting the hospital deal with it, while also keeping a list of which doctors have been involved in litigious actions (and to what frequency).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The nice thing about letting the hospital deal with it is that it would be a strong impetus to stop being collegial and deny privileges to doctors who tend to generate never events.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm hoping that the court shits all over "rational speculation" which is such stupid garbage that I want to take a tack hammer to the head of whoever on the 5th thought that was a good phrase to drop into an opinion

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Munkeymon posted:

I'm hoping that the court shits all over "rational speculation" which is such stupid garbage that I want to take a tack hammer to the head of whoever on the 5th thought that was a good phrase to drop into an opinion

Guessing from the geography of the 5th I'd say that's the whole court.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Had to go find an article for this.

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2014/03/31/last-weeks-hb-2-decision-sets-dangerous-path-challenging-anti-abortion-laws/

Nuts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Apart from the fact that he votes against everything I care about, what's Alito's jurisprudence like? Is he a good reasoner, or is it "this is my conclusion, here are some random facts I made up"?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Apart from the fact that he votes against everything I care about, what's Alito's jurisprudence like?

Scalia without the occasional sympathy for a criminal defendant.

...as far as reasoning, by the time a case hits the Supreme Court, there's at least 1 brief (usually 4 or 5 plus 1 lower court opinion), that have the best reasoning possible for a particular conclusion, so when combined with clerks it isn't too hard to have at least a competently reasoned opinion for either side.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 6, 2016

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Apart from the fact that he votes against everything I care about, what's Alito's jurisprudence like? Is he a good reasoner, or is it "this is my conclusion, here are some random facts I made up"?

Scalia, love him or hate him, was an ideological leader. It may have been a crazy and extreme ideology, and he may have been inconsistent, but he had ambitions, which meant he sometimes had decisions were outside of conservative policy preferences. It also meant he would informally try to convince his colleagues to go along with him.

Thomas is an idealogue. He doesn't worry about who follows him, because if they don't they're corrupted by the elite and aren't worth engaging with. When Thomas surprises you, it's because he found a way to be more conservative than you ever thought possible.

Alito is a tool. He doesn't have an ideology, just following what his side would like the most. His decisions are unimaginative and unengaging, and you can predict what he's going to say from reading the brief of the case below.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

One full ruling and two summary per curiams today.

The full ruling was Americold Realty Trust v. Conagra Foods, which deals with the federal court's requirement that there be diversity of citizenship among the parties for a federal case to be heard. Americold is a "real estate investment trust" organized under Maryland law. Since it isn't a corporation, the court unanimously ruled that for diversity purposes they should be judged by where their members and shareholders live. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-1382_d18f.pdf

V.L. v. E.L., the court unanimously reversed Alabama, which had refused to recognize a same-sex couple's adoption agreement from Georgia. This is part of Alabama's last tantrum against Windsor/Obergefell. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-648_d18e.pdf

Wearry v. Cain, the court rules 6-2 and gives postconviction relief to a death row inmate on grounds of failure to disclose material evidence. Alito and Thomas dissent. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-10008_k537.pdf

(There's also a dissent to denial of cert. Thomas, joined by Alito, dissents from the denial of American Freedom Defense Initiative v. King County, a 9th Circuit case that held Seattle public transit advertising was a limited public forum, and therefore they could apply content-based ad restrictions. This is Pam Geller's group, and she has a habit of taking out bus ads calling Palestinians savages monsters and horsefuckers-- well, maybe not the last one-- and then suing if the transit agency balks. This is buried at the bottom of the orders list. http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/030716zor_5h26.pdf)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Teddybear posted:

Alito and Thomas dissent.

These words actually put a smile on my face. It's so nice to not have to be as worried about the SCOTUS and how badly they'll gently caress it up for everyone else.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Teddybear posted:

(There's also a dissent to denial of cert. Thomas, joined by Alito, dissents from the denial of American Freedom Defense Initiative v. King County, a 9th Circuit case that held Seattle public transit advertising was a limited public forum, and therefore they could apply content-based ad restrictions. This is Pam Geller's group, and she has a habit of taking out bus ads calling Palestinians savages monsters and horsefuckers-- well, maybe not the last one-- and then suing if the transit agency balks. This is buried at the bottom of the orders list.

Pretty sure similar stuff has come up here in Boston; do you perhaps know how far that has gotten in the Courts?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OddObserver posted:

Pretty sure similar stuff has come up here in Boston; do you perhaps know how far that has gotten in the Courts?

She does this all over the country. The first time they appeared in NYC they won and the ads were run; the second time the MTA activated the nuclear option and banned all political messages.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Unzip and Attack posted:

These words actually put a smile on my face. It's so nice to not have to be as worried about the SCOTUS and how badly they'll gently caress it up for everyone else.

Can you picture a time, in the relatively near future, when the word "In a 5-4 decision" makes you smile, rather than cringe? I know I can't yet. Seems completely impossible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

Wearry v. Cain, the court rules 6-2 and gives postconviction relief to a death row inmate on grounds of failure to disclose material evidence. Alito and Thomas dissent. http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-10008_k537.pdf

Interestingly, this is a per curiam decision (an unsigned decision by the majority) which is unusual for a decision like this. I think Scalia wrote this opinion before he died and it was just made a per curiam decision rather than someone else taking credit. It also repeatedly slams the dissent which is a pretty Scalia thing to do.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Teddybear posted:

(There's also a dissent to denial of cert. Thomas, joined by Alito, dissents from the denial of American Freedom Defense Initiative v. King County, a 9th Circuit case that held Seattle public transit advertising was a limited public forum, and therefore they could apply content-based ad restrictions. This is Pam Geller's group, and she has a habit of taking out bus ads calling Palestinians savages monsters and horsefuckers-- well, maybe not the last one-- and then suing if the transit agency balks. This is buried at the bottom of the orders list. http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/030716zor_5h26.pdf)

Can someone explain why the court would deny cert in this case? Thomas does a really good job of laying out the fact that there's a circuit split.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

esquilax posted:

Can someone explain why the court would deny cert in this case? Thomas does a really good job of laying out the fact that there's a circuit split.

Who knows? Court can deny cert for whatever they want. They don't have an obligation to resolve every circuit split that arises.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They also denied Apple's appeal in the ebook price fixing case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Teddybear posted:

Who knows? Court can deny cert for whatever they want. They don't have an obligation to resolve every circuit split that arises.

Which side wins this way?